Open Mike

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

After Hours Wargaming Preoccupations

Post by HexCode » 2021-03-31 05:22, Wednesday

Ok, let's inaugurate this topic's 7th page ! :yes

Rescuing yet another gem from virtual obscurity... :evil

... invites... sociocultural commentary. Let's not forget that 1965 was still modernity territory (postmodernity having commenced in the early 1980s). In those days, wargamers tended to socialize in person and their attention span was significantly longer... It was only when exhaustion would set in that the... beer & pretzels would come out... Sometimes, the male host's sister (yeah, the one with the great looking legs) would choose to warmly socialize with the... tired (only in a very limited / provisional sense) warriors...

Gee, this guy must be 100 years old ! :iguess :) How can "boring" hormones compete with flashy consumer gadgets and the "magical" internet these days ? Anecdotally, Australian urban females appear to prefer going shopping ("empowered" by a mighty collection of credit cards, of course) than eating, well,... chocolate. As for hormones, young Clint Eastwood went through their towns many, many years ago; when their grandmothers were... supermodels, that is. Such "strange" phenomena tend to happen only once in history... :2cents :laff

P.S. Just in case the name of one of those... superannuated supermodels was Mary:

Merriments
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=229&start=150#p6983
Last edited by HexCode on 2021-04-04 06:29, Sunday, edited 1 time in total.

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Exhaustion Mysteries ?

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-01 05:54, Thursday

From the film "Tora, Tora, Tora" (1970) ==>

Captain Minoru Genda: The young pilots are eager for battle.

Vice-Admiral Chūichi Nagumo: They don’t yet know the taste of battle.

A long-standing... prescription aimed at curing such youthful urges and tendencies is, well, none other than sexual exhaustion ! :yep Funny how tribes tend to get their anthropological priorities all mixed up when pursuing grandiose dreams... :2cents

The following "gem" may be worth repeating:

Tribal... erections often result in extreme discomfort during urination.

In my opinion, the preceding "gem" has absolutely nothing to do with sexual exhaustion; rather, it's about youthful satisfaction derived from beating up on other "people" -- for a good cause, of course; always ! So, where's the "discomfort" ? The inevitable blow-back. :bonk

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Broom Stick & Baklava

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-02 03:05, Friday

From Father Time's Jurassic archives...
I stopped at pg2 (not liking the candies added in successive versions). Even changing the icons is useless or even counterproductive.
Icons, eh ? :devil

Rescuing another gem ==>

Now, picture this. As you know, I am not entirely, technically clueless... SO, what if I were to substitute all those icons depicting units with... poses of my grandmother, the eternal... supermodel, that is !! :lol As long as I keep things private, all this is... lunar territory. BUT, once I start posting about such things or, worse (?), render my masterpieces readily downloadable, well, things change dramatically; "public" hobby manifestations here "we" come... :banana

Actually, my grandmother was... lethal. :yep Her home made baklava was to... die for ! :lol What's the matter ? Don't you like home made baklava ? You should have seen my grandmother wolfing down all those delicious pieces. :yep By the way, when it comes to icon substitution, I would suggest that the Tiger II icon be replaced by an icon depicting my grandmother in attack posture brandishing a very long and powerful broom stick... :lol

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The Baklava Chronicles

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-05 17:23, Monday

HexCode wrote:
2021-04-02 03:05, Friday
What's the matter ? Don't you like home made baklava ?
when one's hungry...
There's the proto-expressionist "The Scream" by Edvard Munch, of course. How about "The Hunger" though ? Well, there's "The Shipwreck of Don Juan" by Delacroix...

HOWEVER:

Didn't Marie Antoinette exclaim "Let them eat baklava" ? Am I looking at the title of a Ph.D. thesis in history here ? :dunno

There's also literature potential in this. :yep How about "The Baklava Chronicles" ? :lol

Ale
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

baklava

Post by Ale » 2021-04-05 19:11, Monday

yes, yes... although i did not have Turkish "baba" all "babas" here look like they are Turkish "babas" :lol (meaning grannies) esp. if "Sulejman" is on TV :) ... and baklava is usual part of cusine, made by "mamas" now - probably some simplified version... Life and feudal tables must've been sad before Turks here, without "kebabs" and baklava... on the other hand there was no feudal tables among us after Turks arrived :) ...in short our history, folks lost their own nobles and gained baklava in XV c ;) (and other minor details, often forgoten....)

"Baklava chronicles" sounds like solid RPG title, worth working on ....... but in my case only if it'd include some black knight as character :lol ... a bit of anti hero in story :yes

(.... finally, though i had no recorded Turkish baba, my proposition to have grandchilds having a Turkish baba is still alive and open..... :) but time works against us and i'm cooling down, my dear... i think i elaborated and finished that subject))

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Baklava Invasion

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-05 19:26, Monday

Important: Baba (Slavic Languages) = Grandmother / Granny
Ale wrote:
2021-04-05 19:11, Monday
... all "babas" here look like they are Turkish "babas" (meaning grannies)
Well, not all "babas" are the same. So, let's focus on the "Baklava Baba Parachutist Core".
Ale wrote:
2021-04-05 19:11, Monday
"Baklava chronicles" sounds like solid RPG title, worth working on...
Here goes the first scenario. "Baklava babas" parachute into "Anorexic Barbie Territory". "Anorexic Barbie Anti-Air Units" attempt to blast those... lethal "babas" out of the sky. Why such resistance ? Imminent and overwhelming temptation, of course ! :evil

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Causes

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-06 18:11, Tuesday

Hurricanes are caused by dictators.

Revolutions are caused by shortages of baklava.

Divorces are caused by disagreements about sports teams.

Poverty is caused by a desire to complain.

Dating is caused by the Internet.

Illiteracy is caused by shortages of chalk.

There ! :banana

Ale
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Open Mike

Post by Ale » 2021-04-12 12:36, Monday

...it is obvious that I like to (as hobby or for fun) look at various statistical data as demonstrated through thread and to find some interesting details from older history or present... long time nothing "interesting" from me ;| so time for another post in that sense, with some humoristic tone as always but based on "data or facts"....

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries

...is btw interesting statistical site, with various articles included if one scrolls down to page's bottom. But it is recommended to always double check some data on other sites and to mind that all those data in many cases could be dubious, incomplete or imprecise (almost as economic sites))

so where is funny part - according to "newest and freshest data" on that particular site for 2021 and where are we "top and near bottom" in the world :) Well, except some predictions that I mentioned about chance (if things do not change) that we are among 10 countries in the world that could shrink most by 2050-60 in population and that we are among 20-25 oldest nations by average age in the world.... on the bright side "new data" there shows that we are allegedly in 2021 now second tallest male population in Europe and by that in the world. After Montenegro, but everybody knows that Montenegrins and Serbs is same thing, so crown is ours in any way :) interesting if true and very good argument for whole Scytho-Sarma theory and "tribe of ginats" and why our only emperor, Dušan, was most likely one of tallest in recorded history, proven by bones :) (talked all that extensively))

on funny side "new data" for 2021 on that site puts us among bottom 2-3 (data for Montenegro suspicously lacks there) by IQ level in Europe (this time not world too)) ... funny part is that while Balkan countries (all in geographical sense) and Turkey for decades placed on bottom in that category in Europe, but allegedly change is that some that in previous years had lower score than us are now (by that site and in 2021) by point or two above us, while we "lost few points".... question for our politicians and us all is - are we getting dumber by years while other are gaining IQ points :lol

as said it's humoristic post and collected data is not very precise, plus difference of few points is just statistical not realistic, plus also various sites have various data - but interesting as at least semi-fact is: we are the tallest but among least smart on continent :) and among those to shrink most by 2050..... ;) if nothing else, worth a smile as "facts" - and if Turkish miladies like strong and tall ones but not smart ones, we are good choice :lol

(do not by grumpy nor strickt - yes, yes there are small males and scientists among us - as Tesla or Punpin once :) but it's funny addition to old jokes about "big but not smart" figures and posted for fun...)

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Classic Preferences

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-12 15:45, Monday

I want them big where it counts and not too smart !

A contemporary girl's wish ? Nah, such eminently practical wishes have been around forever; in all cultures. I'm not holding my breath that 21st century women's socio-cultural ascendancy, even predominance, will change all that. So, traditionalists the world over... rejoice ! The more things "change" the more they stay, well, more or less, the same. :lol An arrested state of... evolution, perhaps ? :evil

Ale
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ale » 2021-04-13 10:57, Tuesday

... since on it and since Hex and I partially "touched subject" not so long ago... ; as said facts on that site could not be true or not completely true - but while looking at it, here is another funny and a bit unexpected "fact and data" from that site I found and worth a smile...

namely, it says in article about "yearly alcohol consumption" that Turkey is top in Europe - if we place it in Europe, i am ready to do so for the love of many Tuba's, Aleyna's etc. etc. .... :) whome we will need in not so far future as explained :) - by yearly consumption of pure alcohol in liters and have, allegedly by site, significantly greater "litrage" than some countries we usually connect with high consumption... well, i always joked that whole story about "Sirpsindigi" aka battle of Maritsa/Evros might be total myth and if Vukašin & co. was drunk than it is not far from truth that Turks, Lala Pasha & co. were drunk as well :lol ... back to today it is even more funny than "traditionally liberal" Turkey, that many north African Arab countries (except Egypt) have greater yearly pure alcohol consumption than east European countries, guess many people would wrongly guess that they are very "anti-drink" by cultural differences but not so.... :) even Iran is in front - part of answer is that in many of that countries often highly alcohol percentual drinks are "secretly" made, some spirits etc. I lived, as small kid back in 80s, in Libya for 2 years (I was child slave)) and by talks of parents it seems true that Arabs often have some spirits in houses, AND often not bought openly...

anyway, on that subject another thing funny and (maybe) unexpected now for Serbia ans Serbs - again, again by that site (maybe not true) it shows that - unlike believed - Serbs are in predominant percentage majority wine consumers which place us in Italian, French, Greek "camp" in continent and - even more funny - Serbs consume more wine than usually more connected to mediterranean Croats (who are in "beer camp" as well as Turks for example).... if true, that's how it was like in the middle ages when wine dominated among nobility, as I like to compare with those times :) ...btw, we are by UN classification placed in southern Europe and at least by this category (again if true)) we seem to belong there... however - as Hex and I mentioned - "rakija" is what "shakes" here, usually :) (domestically produced wine is sometimes cheaper, it might be answer for last paragraph)

Ale
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ale » 2021-04-14 17:03, Wednesday

... ah, memories. this last post inspired me to think for few seconds about Arab world and some our relations.... from today perspective and stance, i never told them before, but it was highly irresponsible from parents to go and live there with 3 very little kids in those times. Considering how many external and internal enemies Gaddafi had, small in percent but significant hostility among locals in Benghazi towards anything foreign, various terrorist organisations just in the beginning often etc. etc. it was very risky - doubt I'd do that if I had to choose about taking kids there back then. But it ended alright and was an adventure and something unknown, earning me "gazi" title in the bio... as I fought for "sharia colonel" (yeah, he was many things and often changed views)) so young... that's political though and joke - but if you are Arab reader, nothing personal and welcome and (did I say that) I'm fan of Arab miladies too :)

since mentioned political relations and our tries to establish them and make some deals with their rulers - humble opinion is that it is not worth the risk because often backfire and hits us as boomerang, considering our size and weight. Peaceful civilian trade is alright, but some ties with rulers and arms deals not worth, honestly not but nobody asks me :) That Gaddafi is good example - although many countries dealt with him and made money with him, 10 years ago some silly oposition source in Libya aired silly things like "Serbia airforce fights with Gaddafi and bombs around" almost like we are some superpower, some America or Russia, able to send planes across Mediterranean sea, or on carriers maybe :) ... i have old joke that whenever sh*t happens in the world someone will be there to point finger at us, sometimes very silly sounding... he is just one example, there are probably others and freshest of them all is (our great traditional pal)) Saudi Arabia with various sources recently "connecting us with them", more than appropriate to extent that wikipedia has such silly line:
Serbia has emerged as a major weapon supplier for Saudi Arabia
:) yeah, Suadites are all driving Serbian tanks and flying our planes etc. It is funny to malicious, but nonetheless... we are, btw, probably one of the last countries to establish diplomatic relations with them, only in 2013 before it was only Arab country we never had historical contacts and realations, that's why it's especially funny (now we are pals)... word "major" was probably used as meaning "in majority of exports" not as meaning "most important" but still funny line ;)

anyway it was interesting to write about, but just as short look at it and some of our calamities since year 655 AD - like we hadn't enough in Europe alone :lol ... as said nothing about nations nor personal and best of luck to you miladies of desert ; (after all many Turk girls use your names, they sound very feminine and nice... did I say that I'm from the tallest male tribe in the world and.... blah, blah, blah)

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Societal Attitudes

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-15 05:22, Thursday

Let me count the ways...

Mission Civilisatrice

Eventually, all the children of the world will be playing in just one, huge sandbox.

Realpolitik

Just talk about mission civilisatrice while doing all kinds of things to perpetuate sandbox... factionalism.

Mainstream Tribalism

This is "our" beloved... sandbox. Strangers keep out !

Noxious Tribalism

Never mind mission civilisatrice talk... "We" hate "you". Even if 1000 years go by, "we" will still hate "you".

Suicidal Tribalism

"We" will destroy "you". If "we" cannot do it "ourselves", "we" will get "our friends" to do it... Even if this means our "own" destruction.

Misanthropy

Sooner or later, humans will destroy themselves. They fully "deserve" such a fate.

:evil

Ale
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ale » 2021-04-15 16:55, Thursday

....finally to add. (on this topic) such world and those cultures are certainly small interest of mine (esp. more beautiful, feminine part of it)) surely because of that childhood experience, or - if you will, never had problem in life to talk openly which sometimes cost me but don't care ; - maybe sexiness of something "obscured" or "masked". (except Turkey which is almost "neighbor") ...It was nothing strange nor unusual in our tribe i.e. Serbs etc. - since XIX c or maybe even before through "collective epics" - some poets sometimes wrote intentionally about islamic girls and their sexiness ;

but not about that this time - I wanted to add something about Saudi case, something curious and maybe unprecedented in diplomatic way here. While they have an ambassador "here" which talks to our officials like he is ambassador in country (he is in Bosnia), they did not open building yet unlike wrongly stated in same Wiki article i.e. "Saudi Arabia has embassy in Belgrade".... one of many mistakes in many articles, but we are used to it, be it history or today events :) .... and i warn those with more serious intentions and research whenever i encounter something unreliable, esp. on subject i know something about. it was UAE recently, in past few years, who opened full diplomatic mission here and (general impression is) they do not calculate. Saying because some analitics guess reasons for Saudi not doing it yet - we btw have a building in their capital - from "waiting from Serbia to fully finish business" to, on the contrary, that they "do not want to do it yet calculating that Saudis are unpopular here" etc. etc. ... no idea about 100% proper reason, but certainly it is not economical on their side :) nor it is about any murky arms trade ;

read some foreign texts about one of "Saudi shipment" and controversies - must say foreign writters are again wrong about some details (it was more about coruption than about geopolitcs btw). Yet since there was notion in foreign text - it is not only that some "arms" were alegedly diverted to Ukraine, nor Russians would care much... even without it for us it is also question of Iran we have no "arguments" with, nor we want them, aiming at Yemen conflict or any conflict of that type of that kind where Iran and Saudis are "clinched"... for us Iran question is not "who recognizes whome or to which islamic school who belongs" - why would we be stupid to alienate some country like Iran (with which we do not have much trade, btw) that could be future potential to us in many ways and that was much less "extreme" in not so far future, it might be again ;) .... besides why not, talking and researching very far ancient history with them which at least in interesting linguistic way connects us with that country, Persia and all. Was our king Milan a fool or did it hurt our "national interests" to get a medals from Persians, Hawaii or anyone... so it has deeper consequences and why shouldn't we be smart as Turks who even apolitically boost some their ancient ties with central Asia. back to Saudi-Iran disputes, i'm undecided both Iranian and Saudi girls are very nice and could be needed :lol

....it is not always something having Russia as something we "fear" as some foreign analitics say :) and since middle ages we led own policies cooperating with other states as well... Russians are smart as well and know that we are taller :) seriously though, they know we are old tribe and respect us (and surely know that we would not arm Ukraine nor IS :) nor there is need for that)), it is not about China nor Russia nor US. Iran could be great opportunity once (and like Turkey) country we could have many personal and emotional relations with, my prediction... as for Saudis I'll gladly write some "black knight" version with beautiful Saudi princess and our brave knight defending her from Timur to popularise our ties :) .... officialy out on this (might come back only to Turkey, old pal and neighbor, if i feel so) I already talked too much, but like to talk about that regions and have no problem with anything ; ... hope at least some lines are funny but take many seriously and informative (like that embassy building "controversy") and never trust anyone, esp. not own politicians :)

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Nation-State "Interests"

Post by HexCode » 2021-04-15 17:52, Thursday

It's rather straightforward...

Q.1) Do nation-states have "friends", permanent or otherwise ?

A.1) Irrelevant ! Realpolitik doesn't concern itself with such "populist sentiments".

Q.2) Do nation-states have "interests", permanent or otherwise ?

A.1) Absolutely ! Realpolitik essentially concerns itself with prioritizing the relative importance of such "interests" so as to defend them and / or beneficially "horse-trade" them.

Q.3) Who defines a nation-state's "interests" ?

A.3) The nation-state's dominant, established elites of the day.

Q.4) What if such elites are driven to a large extent by "considerations" transcending the nation-state's discourse ?

A.4) Well, those in the nation-state / region / world which perceive the aforesaid "considerations" as being beneficial to them will rejoice. :bonk