What other games do you play ?

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

Radoye
Royal Navy Battlecruiser Sqn
Royal Navy Battlecruiser Sqn

Re: What other games do you play ?

Post by Radoye » 2020-06-11 19:19, Thursday

Been playing Genghis Khan II on my DosBox recently. One of the timeless classics.

Ale
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ale » 2020-06-11 20:37, Thursday

I wrote:two most important nobles on our side (Stefan and Lazar)
Stefan & Đurađ aka "George" anglicanised, indeed

since Radoye mentioned it - yes, was interesting but must praise you and all capable to not want to look at something like "Total war" series insted, loyalty or whatever :) - and as rounding on own words (and end here which doesn't mean maybe somewhere else i'll mention) i first read Tamerlane comments on battle some 20+ years ago and since then never had bad opinion about Mongols (or quasi-Mongols as his army). Undobtedly best description and poerful ruler words maybe ever in relation to national history :lol

bye.

Ale
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ale » 2020-06-12 15:32, Friday

generally, not a bad idea giving Japanese games & devs some respect historically where it is due internationally... PG and series is good example, with most people giving all credits till today for "formula, gameplay and style" to SSI, while their devs themselves where explicit in stressing huge influence and borrowing from Jap "Daisenryaku" series... but i talked it in another place already. Other great non-gaming example is Kurosawa writing to Leone something to effect of "your movies are great but they are mine movies" :)

west is west, we are we historically (like or not both) but really i think i doesn't lack some respect to eastern Asian cultures, Japanese maybe the most in last circa 200 years :yes (and do not start about wars, crimes and all))

Juankar
Major General
Major General

Post by Juankar » 2020-06-13 21:51, Saturday

Apart from my beloved Open General, these are the games that I usually enjoy:

-IL2 Sturmovik (The best experience on flying simulators).
-John Tiller Games (excellent stuff despite their poor graphics).
-Strategic Command (Perfect to play WW1 and WW2 under a grand strategy focus as the tittle says).
-AGEOD games from time to time.

Ale
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ale » 2020-06-13 23:24, Saturday

thumbs up, Juankar. serious gamer there - most of us will agree that PG/2/3 is "lite" compared to some titles you use - so i comment in late hour after checking videos and titles :) ...just because there is a lot of unknown to me so worth sleeping till 11 on sunday and if i didn't check it now, maybe i never would

honestly, closest i got is Battleground serie in antic times and very few, content-light in recent times (grabbed some title "Drive on Moscow" and such, almost unintentionally). Not good at those things generally and feel like complexity is killing me, seen by some "relaxation" by comics like RPGs, but post is gold mine for collection maker and TBS searcher, thanks really :yes

Juankar
Major General
Major General

Post by Juankar » 2020-06-14 09:25, Sunday

Well, PG2/OG are focused on a more tactical-operationall point of view, so any of the ones (except the ones by John Tiller) could be compared. Thanks to Luis and all the community making quantity and quality stuff over these years. The options, the level of complexity paired with an easy learning curve, the level of immersion, historical accuracy (with orders of battle, detailed maps etc) we get on Open General, it's deeper than other commercial competitors like Panzer Corps and the recently arrived Panzer Corps 2 (which I find very good games anyway). Well, forgot to mention Order of Battle WW2, but here I feel overwhelmed wit that 3D baroque design, adopted on many games with the aim to attract younger potentially customers.
Probably the handicap of OG could be the aged unit graphics, but I adopt personally here my aim to improve the game on this aspect, as my tiny contribution.

Forgot to mention above the ARMA3 first person shooters, they are perfect to play at a squad level, giving and receiving orders in a very realistic combat environmet. This kind of games are perfect to clear mind after a hard day at work.. :evil The bad thing is the story focused on a close future instead of historical events, anyway there are mods out there...

All kind of wargames as you see, not interested on any other genre... :lol

Ale
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ale » 2020-06-14 20:20, Sunday

must say not considered PC 2 as option for now, for few reasons. positive word by you means a bit on how to look at it :yes but still not priority

anyway, surely will not comment on every post by everybody though it's clear that i like reading gaming content, grateful for pointing something unknown again... but just for humor, no way that some of Ageod games could be compared to OG and previous versions, that just from some screens and videos concluded, be honest those are mama-games :lol my memory on BG series alone is one of "why do you write that scen has 20 turns when it is around 120 with preparation fire, defensive fire, offensive fire, movement phase...etc". not denying fun factor in any of them, even as kid played some

in all honesty - and talked it already as well, guess there is some "had enough" factor with subjects and can't be surprised and completely satisfied with killing Polish tank, even Polish tank without any magical powers and not from distant solar system :lol ....have fun, thanks for input as generally some of your favs do not gain much spotlight and notice, checking still "catalagoues" and will surely take something to test skills at least

hoza
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hoza » 2020-06-15 07:50, Monday

Well I started with Allied General long time ago (last century) and sticked to SSI respectively its ingenious successor OG. Played Silent Hunter, Fighting Falcon and European Airwar when I was in Simulation mood.

Also played Strategic command and the much more sophisticated Hearts of Iron II to IV.

But there is nothing better than playing PG/OG against human opponents in PBEM. :hurrah :grumpy