What other games do you play ?

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: What other games do you play ?

Post by Ale » 2021-12-19 20:42, Sunday

must admit so called "deckbuilding" games (i'm using game-sites terminology i learnt by youngers) are my interest and fun in last few years... mentioning deckbuilding, remembered name of famous sf author Randowe mentioned somewhere on forum and "anti-vulgarity" auto-corrector changed his name to P.K. Deck - in that sense i hope that "deckbuilding" is not term forged in similar sense and have completely different meaning :lol

good laugh, anyway the point... i'll warmly recommend here to any reader game i got a week ago, new but undemanding and not so 3d proving that fun games are still possible with simplistic graphics - named Fights in tight spaces - wich is super fun, addictive and nice to have (for me)... short review - deck, cards as actions but not in traditional way because it combines other strategy elements as positioning of your only unit (self) in space and lots of action and bone breaking in some turn based mortal combat style... thumbs up for game, fun. Didn't finish a single run yet (they are always different so great replayability there) and can be tough if uncareful, but trying and dying almost daily as run can be very short if not careful (sometimes i don't have time for grand"er" strategies but want something fun to play, so i recommended all that) but coming back for more :)

have fun all, mostly everything i mentioned is at least fun can guarantee that as said, but not so much about military history. if anyone found here something never heard about, mission success :yes as many modern games, lack of modding tools and user-mods is often (not always) weaker point compared to older games, but yes maybe someone finds fast fun from dark rpg's to deckbuilders, like me... if you add cartoonish graphics to it I'm pleased and hooked, because I'm very mature for my age :)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-01-03 20:30, Monday

...since i always "complain" how my titles are not so great historical wars related, this holidays i got myself something which is related to the subjects i.e. ww2 in concrete... namely, got myslef and I Brothers in arms collection via winter sale for reasonable small money and playing last few days...

tried only one and got halfway through it - Hell's Highway from the series, think it was last one. Solid and fun though I was never FPS and action games man but this one is acceptable, gives (except few missions) enough time to plan and breathe slowly while thinking what to do (behind cover only))... it combines FPS and strategical elements as well as you, besides yourself, control (and can kill with your actions) few squads of 2-3 guys in battles as paratrooper during "Market Garden" (concludable by name). I have fun, but... different and much more stressful angle and look and events from the war we all know :) and i am not used to it, not playing much action. Recommended, it is from 2008 and run nice on my machine... must say it overwhelmed me, never played much of similar games (except all doom or wolfenstein etc, but that's not like this), gore, dead bodies, soldier screams and screamed out commands under fire etc. etc. Solid experience, maybe not for nice holidays period like these :) have fun if you ever try it, it is old but for reasonable able computers... Escpecially impressed by one line which gone under my skin when I (like sarge) give command to bazooka operator Jasper, shortly Jas or Jaz - like those lines esp. and me ordering him in stresfull voice to take out elevated enemy position or gun, nice job on voices generally. like it. (gonna dream Jasper command, it stays in my head for long)

while it is all fun and we are all safe behind screen, and while liked must say... i live near army barracks and see army vehicles and soldiers daily. Especially lately many, many even nice looking girls in uniform, looks like increasing numbers (not to mention recent history even)..... well, as conclusion, if they girls even played this game for few hours and noticed voices of the guys under fire - doubt they would even chose soldier profession :lol really a bit more respect for guys, un-pros during ww2, especially on western and eastern fronts for those experiences and moments they went through often not even prepared enough for them, unlike us veterans of all bloody battles ;) was hell, indeed respect... as for those our girls from today times, should been playing more of games like these before job decision :) while they of course hope that nobody will have to go through it in their lifetime.... as for game, recommended if cheap and able I'm having some fun, not so hard so far, plan to play through all three titles while it is now just 5-6 missions from "Hell's highway" - and I plan to get Jasper back to his mama safe :) ..... although he died few times under my command (not many) but he is back alive for every new mission even if he died before, miracle and small minus for game... have fun.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-01-05 22:13, Wednesday

so i finished that title and am now off to "Hill 30" part with expectations of few days of fun... unlike with any of grander strategy games where i lacked that feeling, now could consider myself as veteran of the events from that famous battle and definitely at least dirt eaters from the battle are now closer to my heart. Generally positive feel towards game, but must add that it was not cinematics (cutscenes), story and characters that made it so "personal", actually it is action itself and fighting elements which made me feel for them, screams and commands as i already talked, not story which have some pathetic elements.... official vet of the 101st and tank platoon from the (lets say) Irish guards (or Grenadie Guards IIRC) from the XXX corps - as you drive British tank in few missions ;) And those were the easiest, including last mission where you just blow away everything, German tanks are strangely toothless in this game and easy to kill. It is not long but it is also easy hence relatively fast finish, except enjoyment :yes .....other titles are older and will be some scaling back in graphics where it is more important than tbs strategy, but I expect positively spent time in advance.... and nice melodic commands to scream :) Again, events much closer to me than any other game, film a la "Bridge" or book, personally. Always felt most for Brits (and partly US paras) in that operation more than any other from Allied side :yes

and there i come to one of the main reasons i post again - while will skip comments about other 2 parts - except saying how solid game was for me and to praise Monty's genius :) actually i read some comments only after i play or even finish some game because people comments could be misleading (but i tried this because i saw it has mostly positive comments, to be true, but didn't read them).... well i find some take by some joker (maybe guy was serious, you never know with modern people, English, Scot, American or else he be) who concluded that Montgomery was a German agent :lol never looked at it that way, thanks for opening my eyes, mister.... though personal treatment of the Urquhart before the start of the operation and rejection of proposal to land 1st airborne closer and even south of Arnhem - do raise some objective suspicion :) .....well, enough about those event, glad i sacrificed some time to play the game and refresh the memory of the events, even be important part of the 101st :yes and even visit beutiful Eindhoven by night, romantic......... i know more about middle ages myself, but if you want my objective opinion (don't forget I'm not neutral as our king in exile was part of British force) I blame the Dutch for not finishing faster ;) Most seriously maybe that third bridge further west from Oosterbeek should have been tried by XXX but not really, too far indeed..... :) have fun, glad i got the game.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-01-06 23:19, Thursday

... actually, when you think about history in an uncoventional way and have fun with it it does becomes much more interesting and opens new possibilities... like that mister from some place and site (i personally think he might me Scot, it is their "schmeck") but it is mostly joke and unfortunately in more recent history with all documented events, even photos and records there is much less space for it, but not completely without it ; other much better examples i gave in my tries to put some "angle" (without "sexon") on medieval events or even link with Scyths or so... however it is much easier as events are poorly documented, there is lots of guessing and incomplete evidence, often based on historian imagination and detective work... one quick example - while this is not place nor i'll be back to many interesting things - is "our most famous medieval battle" (Kosovar battle)) to which on both sides there is only narrative while we do not know even how rulers died, let alone who behaved how and who broke what flank, so new book or theory could be refreshing... i say "most famous" because i don't consider it as most important which for me personally was Maritsa battle, which determined fate of enlargement, short lived empire and future role in history - from potence to impotence in short :) (and mop off the map for long time) anyway, that's to compare, nothing to do with ww2 and operation MG... strangely enough one of the more intersting (not that there were many)) stories and works of art about Maritsa battle was written by British-English author so he found it interesting (Brian Aldiss) :yes and in a way i'm repaying... he has no idea how maybe close to truth he was if indeed king Vukačin survived the clash and died lately, very good detective ) anyway....

sorry in advance to those expecting only game posts here (i had enough recommendations anyway) but really inspired, still used some time to look at maps and think about "Market Garden", guess that is good and postitive... regarding that joke - if any of you readers feel too strong about Monty and all, to add that there is joke in British isles like "Monty sometimes killed more Brits than Germans did" and probably based on that saying... used time to think a bit more about event and read some things other said, maybe even to write something myself, that's also positive...some American general post war complained about British lack of "know-how" on senior commanding level and similar, and he was right about it. Simply looking at German tactics in many situations, not only MG, even if not so strong (but surely stronger than 1st airborne in situation) they were more daring and inovative, good at deception. If they were to be on the attack in such operation, maybe they would mask true intention and indeed use "third, fourth bridge" ;) think about German tactics (while i'm with Brits in that war) surprisingly how, although different mentalities, their military tactics were often similar to ours, fast break, daring, also heavier equipment position and range (talked about it in "open mike") disregarding their arms and industry which was uncomparable - but also idea during MG was actually very similar to our defense during Austro-Hungarian attack of 1914 - let them settle, spread and then counterattack etc. etc. No lie, maybe beacuse Mackensen was close to Hitler at least a bit and only early already old himself, he whispered him how army should work considering that he personally said that Serb army was his most dangerous enemy :lol ...not so much here in op Market-Garden but generally yes, simply this is not what British planners expected though, but for historical correctness, must be said that they knew and were informed...

sorry again, but it is good that game and events inspired me so much and to even put something on paper about operation which wasn't even "ours" (but Brits are our pawns and brothers in harms)) it is about games - but mental gimnastics and observation hope always welcome, i like typing if inspired (btw, in other threads like "translations" you can find further examples of unconventional thinking).... no wonder i jumped straight into last part (hell's highway) and ruined game series for me by starting from the end, as obviously i like Market-Garden story :) talked a lot about everything, drawing paralels and joking because inspired and touched, hope for 1st airborne remake of the game with lots of commands in even XXX accent i like (in girls...)) have fun, great battle and game. (it is now evening before Christmas by Julian and is holiday, will spend the hours looking at some MG maps and comments)) all for forum fun and content...

Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Aleksandr » 2022-01-09 19:11, Sunday

Not technically playing the game, but I watch my wife playing The Witcher series. I plan to try the games after she'll be done with them, and once I'll find enough spare time to enjoy them in peace, at ease.

I've found the three storybooks and the five tomes of the novel, none of which I touched in fifteen years, and I've spent five sleepless nights reading them cover to cover. To say that I'm deeply struck is an understatement. To say that I'm in a sad mood would be a ridicule. This should have been (the hobby of) my life, but alas, I've wasted years dreaming.

Also, I bought the first Witcher storybook "The Silver Sword" thirty years ago when I was twelve. Kinda weird to think about that...

greatfaith
Private
Private

Post by greatfaith » 2022-02-08 12:36, Tuesday

The list of games that I sometimes play is quite large. Lol. Recently played GTA, Minecraft and Witcher 3...I decided to play the last game because recently watched the TV show

hensom
Private
Private

Post by hensom » 2022-03-30 09:04, Wednesday

greatfaith wrote:
2022-02-08 12:36, Tuesday
The list of games that I sometimes play is quite large. Lol. Recently played GTA, Minecraft and Witcher 3...I decided to play the last game because recently watched the TV show
GTA is my favourite game. I spend my hole weekends and my free time on GTA. Its really fun game.
Its a large game but very realistic gameplay.... :banana

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-04-04 10:52, Monday

so started around NY holidays and just finished Brothers in arms triology last night, with Earned in blood being last one i did... fun and recommendable, cheap as pack as well and nice working being 17 years old. Adrenaline levels rised, action alright, though generally not good in action games... mind that first 2 chapters are actually much tougher and I reloaded and died much more than last part I started with, but could do some tougher scens with unusual and (often) solo actions and running at enemy positions. So if you wanna do chronologically it is Hill 30 - Earned in blood - Hell's highway in order. Also mind that games use "un-PC" language towards Germans etc but realistic ... generally, pleasing and worth if you ever try, as said made struggles of US paras much "closer to heart" than any movie (living where I live I'm not from place where US troops fought historically, but there must be respect in the world, so respect for their dids then) Generally would like to try more action-like games about that era, something I rarely did...

anyway liked that games really - on normal difficulty - and it also includes some true stories and now-and-then photos of Normandy towns as extras... Going further recently I'm having fun with Battle academy game, also "older" TBS on engine I knew through fantasy title Hell but in ww1&2 settings and with many mods available. Commanding individual units through campaigns and sadly no so much liked by me troops progression etc. but also much tougher and easy to die, hard to locate (and dislocate/kill) enemy units, neutralising tanks will require multiple shots etc. etc. Only did few scens in "desert campaign" and "Blitz France" and find objectives often hard to reach, but want to get better in it if I manage to get time to stay on it... fun game but harder and more unusual than used to with OG and similar, just regret that troop progress thing it lacks...

if you want something fresh to add i tried, i could throw in Shields of loyalty game in development, that i just tried through 2-3 battles and it includes not only 2d style, no much harware needs etc but also some original FantasyGen mechanics like heroes, artifacts for units and unit research, so likable and I wish developers success...

thanks to all posted some titles, like many not much time to check everything so any mention/like is worth for me to look and eventually get :yes have fun

Profa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fantasy General

Post by Profa » 2022-09-01 17:11, Thursday

i was scrolling through this topic and saw FG was mentioned a few times.It reminded me of a game I completely forgot, and which was unique even in SSI world.Has anyone tried to adapt it to OG, and maybe create new campaigns?

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Fantasy General

Post by randowe » 2022-09-01 17:42, Thursday

Profa wrote:
2022-09-01 17:11, Thursday
i was scrolling through this topic and saw FG was mentioned a few times.It reminded me of a game I completely forgot, and which was unique even in SSI world.Has anyone tried to adapt it to OG, and maybe create new campaigns?
Duke Falcon has some fantasy and fictional efiles. See this thread: viewtopic.php?p=174#p174
Image Slava Ukraini!

Profa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Fantasy General

Post by Profa » 2022-09-01 19:17, Thursday

randowe wrote:
2022-09-01 17:42, Thursday
Duke Falcon has some fantasy and fictional efiles. See this thread: viewtopic.php?p=174#p174
Thank you, I will take a look.

Bazalt
Private
Private

Post by Bazalt » 2023-01-30 10:21, Monday

I play with StarCraft and FreeDoom at this time (oh, and OpenGeneral of course, since yesterday :) ).
But I have very little time to play, rather I develop my own computer games in different programming languages. Here is a collection of these on my website:
https://itsmprog.000webhostapp.com/
If you prefer browser games instead of downloadable programs, try my JavaScript games here: https://itsmprog.000webhostapp.com/jsjatekok.html

Enjoy!

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

fantasy gen & PG3 with link

Post by Ale » 2023-02-10 17:35, Friday

...yes, Fantasy G was (afaik) never modified much/any maybe, i don't know reason but it was (for me) most challenging SSI-gen title and never finished it when i was kid... so i'm trying it now and then now, have the game (it is Dos title btw) and giving it some time. Maybe my tactics and army compositions are nor perfect but it really kicks me hard and i have many losess at medium level already around 3rd continent, but i'm trying with few heros... lack of autosave and "green-autorefit" after scen makes it challenge much more than "tank titles" were... one of the 90s game where i must repay the debt, so like time with it.

anyway, wanted to actually ask question but i found the answer myself about PG3 in my bookmarks somwhere... so instead of question - i needed some PG3 SE scen editor as i ran into user made camp bug, but also for maybe some tries to make scens (no time generally for that) but found what i needed and alredy edited a camp bug - i'll post this link with compilation of PG3 user camps etc. not sure it will stay "forever" so d/l and make use of it, if it works for you. for me perfectly and now i can even edit it... really playing "much" this one too, considering that i never played/liked it when it was released originally, just into user made "rommel camp" and fun battles in NAfrica... in any way this link is on perfect place and is nice to have ; you can play both modded game but also original PG3 SE edition but also previous PG3 camps (western front) converted to SE "engine". lots of stuff there indeed

http://www.mediafire.com/?cnpnt378uslj4

have fun, give a word if you are doing these 2, so we can make some pub "CC" of them (not really but maybe i sometimes do some "playthrough" of some camp) - be sure that both will not be converted/included in OG :) but are fun ssi titles...

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: fantasy gen & PG3 with link

Post by Duke Falcon » 2023-02-12 15:40, Sunday

Ale wrote:
2023-02-10 17:35, Friday
...yes, Fantasy G was (afaik) never modified much/any maybe, i don't know reason but it was (for me) most challenging SSI-gen title and never finished it when i was kid... so i'm trying it now and then now, have the game (it is Dos title btw) and giving it some time. Maybe my tactics and army compositions are nor perfect but it really kicks me hard and i have many losess at medium level already around 3rd continent, but i'm trying with few heros... lack of autosave and "green-autorefit" after scen makes it challenge much more than "tank titles" were... one of the 90s game where i must repay the debt, so like time with it.
A tip from an FG pro (played it through literally dozens of times, big fan of the game still):
- No matter which leader you choose, use only mortal units! Beasts, mechs and magicals are better but cannot be upgraded what is a big sux later on. I usually choose Modra 'cause she is moar appealin' than the otherz...
- There is five classes you need to buy\upgrade and research on a maximum level: Skirmishers, Ligh & Heavy cavalries, Sky hunters and Bombardiers. With these your army would be fast and hit like a train! Skirmishers and Light cavalry are extremely good because most enemy units have "melee" so "skirmish" range decimate them without a chance to hit back. Heavy cavalry is ideal to clean up or smash enemy archers, spellcasters and siege engines. Flyers are rule, if you research them well from the middle of third isle they would be undefeatable by everyone! Literally!
- Keep heroes to garrison vital buildings or towns. If "Force march" appears they could keep the pace and good to soften up enemy heavy infantries. Spellcaster heroes are ideal to hold line just use their spells on friendly units at the beginning of a turn.
- My army, literally unbeatable since the beginning of fourth isle, consist (bit expensive, so set up the research costs properly!): 4-5 skirmishers, 4-5 light cavalries, 5-6 heavy cavalries, 6-7 sky hunters and 4-5 bombardiers + heroes and those other elements join my army through the campaign. With this army you would blitzkrieg through the game with ease.
- If not autosave, use regular save on later isles (4.th onward) when capture a shrine, cave or other important place! Not because the random events these triggers but some bugs may cause crash of the game! Rarely happen but do happen and if you were in the last turn and need to restart the whole battle, hmmm...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-02-12 21:57, Sunday

thanks very much, guess wasn't totally "time free" to type :yes

of course i copied text and will look at hints, but fastly will add one of the points where i made mistake not seeing their value initially i.e. in early battles and considered them "waste" - skirmishers. I'm on second continent now with 2 heroes - not Mordra but i will start with her soon, following advice and have 2 in army and looking to instantly add them ASAP... thanks again, also went often "heavy on cavalry" and thought Marshall hero was "the best" due to his "mass heal" ability etc. So yes, in short, lots of things to reconsider and correct in own style and game approach - yes, speed is esential on 3rd i'd guess as terrain is often bigger enemy than, well, enemy ;

glad you posted so maybe i will ask you if i run into trouble later but think i know some mystakes coming from "pro" as i was one of those who gave up this game after few fails, but have will to finish it at least once properly in "sea of games" i sometimes have... thanks agian from your time if i didn't say :) - very hard to find advice these days on such game a you know ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

compatibility - older games new windows in short

Post by Ale » 2023-06-04 20:13, Sunday

...must say now - after giving win 7 and earlier final bye recently, until then used various things like "virtual boot", dual boot, 7 on weaker old machine/laptop etc. that win 10 (even 11 i tried) have a bit undeserved fame made by many users on game subjects online :) i was also under impression and kept using it longer than needed... although maybe it is better in some ascpects etc. but...

to cut it short - every older game i have in collection and so far tried in newer Windows I managed to get to work properly, maybe i am just "lucky"... either by properly setting compatibility settings, some minor tweaks OR by adding some minor small file in game dir (corrrected graphic library usually) so far managed to get 100% success in running older games (90s or early 2000s) on my win10, even 11... as said maybe just own experience and luck and of course i tried only games i have and not running them from old discs anymore ;) (gog versions or similar) But all i tried managed to work properly, so nothing strange nor unpassable in win 10. last word in fast post is that you should check moddb.com or other source for some older game, maybe some file to correct it is there, but many times it worked to me just by tweaking compatibility - strangely i don't have even "screen flickering" on win 10 i had in 7... strangely how i was in fear of it how nothing will work :)

bot so important post, but just experience... of course new desktop and all was for newer games and multimedia, but must say that so far newest windows versions did not stop my older games ; good luck if you have some problems, check some sites if simple compatibility doesn't get it working... (personally tried more than 10-15 older games, all working some even better again)

Profa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Profa » 2023-10-13 18:01, Friday

Here are my favorites:
Civilization IV - has some excellent mods
Civ IV - Colonization -> Colonization in modern interface.Also has excellent mods, while keeps original flavour.
Starcraft Broodwar
Space Empires V - has some of the best 4X games features.Unfortunately it is quite buggy.
Warlords Battlecry III
Galactic Civilization II
Star Trek Armada - Fleet OPS
Death rally
X-XOM Apocalypse

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-10-14 16:13, Saturday

nice and short "review" on Space empires V, genuine or inventive but unpatched, unpolished etc. think i mentioned it before, in one of many posts :p

victim of growing were in my case 4x games, there are many good and are going out now but those are not type of games to sink in hour-two or like that... when you start you can sit whole night or similar so rarely to none now... but i noticed that i'm more collecting games i don't even play :) generally regardeless of genre and rarelly finish something ;

anyway, btw comment and always like to catch something so i follow this ; ...mostly play deckbuilders or "shorter sessions" rpg a la DD, i sit to do some wargame and end up just doing something fast and short ; ...in that sense not to waste a post have great fun with things like many deckbuilders (like to break a bones in "fight in tight places" if i never mentioned) and as last to say btw that i got Darkest dungeon 2 which i mentioned before release and having great fun with things like that ; so my recommend if you have any taste for it... some humor, despite my real life interest fail to find good medieval themed game, many are too complex or similar - and dislike how Rascia is represented when i start some, where is the might and richies and can rarelly reach Jerusalem if playing like Miluten ;) have fun, taking notes of all your games for testruns and collections

Profa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Profa » 2023-10-14 19:17, Saturday

Actually there are some unofficial patches for Space Empires V, namely from Captain Kwok.

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-10-14 19:36, Saturday

I saw a trailer about new commandos (without gameplay). Ater PG (and OG off course) the beaste game fore me, commandos II and III (not so). I guess will be the only reason to play something else than PG

Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Aleksandr » 2024-01-28 20:57, Sunday

Maybe you know it, but it's such a lovely game that I need to share it:

WINGSPAN

An engine-builder game about ornithologist watching birds. Named birds eat worms, lay eggs, prey on other birds, etc. My wife bought the boardgame and I purchased it on Steam, it's that good... except for minor bugs. Sports an amazing soundtrack, and the birds are cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOkLRnR-xvE

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2024-02-01 16:28, Thursday

I found a CD full of old DOS games yesterday (among them Panzer General!). I excavated whatever the OS could save from the old disc but some files seems corrupted...
I tried to install Raptor: A call of shadows... Registered, full version, 3-disc install (1 disc for all episodes)...
Disc 3 corrupted and cannot install...

Any chance than someone has an installed, registered full version to share?
For download only the shareware is available (just the first episode) and GOG offers the worse Win-version for a price simply not worth...
Not to mention that why may I bought a game two times?

Anyway, if someone may do have an installed version, please PM me!
'till I see some panzer general on the horison!