Translations

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Translations

Post by Ale » 2022-06-05 20:27, Sunday

even more intersting :yes And it could "overturn" official name in use in my place "Portugalija" where insisting on that "-galija" part is crucial to be "official in our language. "Galija" is in the same time our name for "Gaul country" prior to Caesar's conquest... so maybe not so "Portugalija" if theory you mentioned stands... nonetheless, it was Gaulish region (Iberian peninsula) hence some interpretations... regarding rivers, even more interesting is river Evros (or Evro without Greek "s") which might be clear "tween" of Iberian Ebro as Greeks use "v" instead of "b" in many instances.... Evros is btw that river Maritsa so our history of medieval expansion and life could fit into title "from Ibar to Evros" ; ...was surprised by presence of haplogroup "I" exactly at Zaragoza region, adding to mysteries of some old times.... likers of Cedltic og Gaulish issues - more for fun and as last taught - should know that very, very angry Serb (for example) is likely to say "I'm gonna drink your blood" - but mind that things Romans wrote about Scordiscii might be just their propaganda and that when you look at paragraph "culture" and it contains only sentence "they were drinking blood and sacrificing prisoners" it sound a bit shallow as culture :) of course it is not all about Scordisci and whole "Gaulish" organisation that once lived here, just Roman sources....

nonetheless, like "Iberia", Spain and Portugal, also when it comes to story of age of discoveries and I liked it once passionately, read a lot about it... have even personal story as I, clearly remember that, was one of the victims of confusion by two films about Columbus from 1992, me and my best friend back in that year... we wanted to watch in cinema (yes, cinema life was once big thing and there was no piracy nor internet) with Depardieu, directed by Scott but we ended buying tickets and watching film that was on programme in the same times, with Brando as Torquemada (and for which he was nominee for "worst supporting role") without even knowing that we watch wrong film... tomorrow in school we wanted to impres geography (i think) professor, relatively young female, and said how we watched that film about Columbus and she asked "Was Depardieu good in role?" and we said "Which Depardieu?!" and there was laugh... few days later we watched other film, "right one" and we said to each other "first one was better" :lol ... remember some things, that's one of them, from boyhood so clear.... anyway, liked the story as kid, whole discovery era... today it is accepted that it was "shameful" page of "Iberian" history but I'd be alright to have country famous for oppressing Indians once insted of country without fame, famous for oppressing" Albanians, North Macedon or whatever, humoristically said so do not drammatise, modern PC-fanatics ;

here it is, wikipedia pic (good enough) of queen Helen/Jelena "of Anjou" husband king Uroš I (since him all Serb kings used name Uroš and Stefan in their names), son of Ana Dandola... her is monastery Gradac, usual "Rascian style" church. I and French historian "disscussed" this one as tower is fairly unusual for our architecture.... but I might disappoint some thinking that it is some clear western influence (while general Romanic influence and some of other styles, Gothic etc. are generally present in mix) by French queen and half-Italian king - it might be that tower was added exactly during emperor Dušan as he enlarged church and that monastery during his rule more than half century later... it was Dušan who experimented with western influences even more and is known to have had own church (unsurrvived) with unique Venetian style mosaics and figure of ruler on tomb, for example... hence that French person was intrigued but could not make some conclusions from that and Gradac main church, except that he thinks she was related to Anjou, both region and families paternally and even king Richard himself, maybe even Charlemagne :) .... have fun, if you know something about it, just like other mysteries from our past, contact me here .... ; always grateful

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-06-06 14:17, Monday

...regarding my relation with Scott, we are men of similar historical sensibility and i agree with him that it is hard to sell really good "European" story and characters to Americans... and I'd, like him, only slightly alternate history in films just for the effect and drama... like that epic about Dušan, where he (after conquest of Jerusalem) sends Venetian galleys under our flag, with Italian commander, of course, and lots of black knights, to conquer US... commander would be Venetian not Genoese though... would be good epic, and conqusitadors still in great number "Spanish" as our emperor was likely to employ "Spanish men" by some sources... considering that his wife was global icon of feminism and likely to be seduced by Italian commander, we get valuable, recognizable story not far from history.... hear he (Scott) is working on Napoleon story now - with respect but doubts considering his age - if he wants to finally make good historical movie (after "Alien") he should include Karageorge's letter to Napoleon, which (historical fact) inspired man to act and raise armies...

most seriously and anyway, have "dislike-like" relation with Scott and laugh at some fictions, always unnecessary, from Rome to Columbo and beyond but good epic is alright if characterization is alright... i'd go much deeper and make really memorable persons... since mentioned that film, Moxica (Wincott) was most "impressive" character in his film for teen like me, but blame it on the actors really unique voice and (just partly) looks. Would always have place for such actor in my story... personally I'd make him Greek noble in our service, based on true story as I personally knew one Greek student in second half of 90s with such/similar voice.... while we are still on that serious part it is not hard to understand Americans (not because they are most important for selling film) or western audiences generally - even to me as Serb boy, names like Cortes, Pizarro, Moxica stuck in head... just imagine if we sent commander to conquer US and it is later known as "Preljubia" :) (as was name of one imperial conquistador of ours) ... explains a lot of even things like Nadal, "Djokovic" and similar and how human brain function.... nonetheless, we had some cool names among our nobles, good as global brands ;

and agian, for south American readers i'm friend of Latin America and is region we have "green pass" with for example, so much better "relations" than central or north... personally would never offend honest people of the region... it is just I imagine our conquistadors find a lot of Adriana Limas there :) (she kinda got our citizenship, which she never recieved) and is story with that "epic" tone and how empires are created by numerically small forces, something i can relate to historically, nothing else...

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2022-06-07 09:15, Tuesday

Ale wrote:
2022-06-05 20:27, Sunday
even more intersting :yes And it could "overturn" official name in use in my place "Portugalija" where insisting on that "-galija" part is crucial to be "official in our language. "Galija" is in the same time our name for "Gaul country" prior to Caesar's conquest... so maybe not so "Portugalija" if theory you mentioned stands... nonetheless, it was Gaulish region (Iberian peninsula) hence some interpretations...
Very similar in Poland and certainly other countries east of Germany - Austria - Italy.
For us Portuguese it doesn't make sense because the idea of "Gália" is associated with France.
Outside the technical field, the historical sense, "Gália" and associated words are used as synonyms of France.
Very common use by sports media: "Gaulish team" instead of "French team" or "the Gauls" instead of "the French".
Nevertheless, those more keen than average on history may recall that Count D. Henrique de (of) Portucale, our first king's father, was also known as Henrique de (of) Borgonha.
That is "Bourgogne", a region of nowadays France... so... our first dynasty of rulers - first five kings - were descendants of Bourgognese, not local folks.
One thing is certain, "Portugalija" goes much better than "Portubourgognija"...

I guess the processes of language formation create these kind of things frequently.
Here we call Alemanha - from Alemanni - to Germany. Or should I write Deutschland?
And Holanda - from Holland - to Netherlands.
In this case, to add insult to injury we call "queijo flamengo" (flemish cheese) to Edam cheese.
This is already the field of "national objects"...
American fridge, French door, or the greatest ex-libris of them all, the Turkish toilet...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-06-07 15:59, Tuesday

yes I agree, there is a lot of "controversy" that even touches some "competition" when it comes to lingustical, exo- or endonym things, even personal names, making things confusing, often without need.... it comes to extreme that people often forget either that any kind of society - tribal, medieval wasn't really "closed box" and influences were likely like today... other side of extreme is that everything should be Gaulish, Slavic, Germanic or this or that in origin just because it is present in one of mentioned linguistic tribe.... what i'm trying to say is example of things like - ha, the man (Serb noble) is named Baldovin (clear version of Baldwin) lets look at it maybe he wasn't Serb or - ha, Bran it is Slavic because Branko or Branimir is... in short, like today why would it exclude man being Serb but catching and having foreign name etc. .... or even better, presence of Iranic or Persian words - even scholars from Russia or Ukraine would agree - in Serbo-Croat or Bulgarian, so what now... or - last thought - as i joked before name Vuk as respect to Roman story - probably not true as wolf is generally respected all to China or Japan, but is there living person that could guarantee that some tribal memeber in some hilly today Montenegro wasn't impressed by Roman myth? ...so early Serbs have it percentually more than other tribes in first and last names, believing in myth... after all they used Roman calendar for some 600-700 years until emperor chaged it to Byzantine.... point in short - nothing prevents influences to spread even if there was no TV back then :) esp. where population is proven to be mixed like here... i gave just example so do not take it as fact, like that thing about Gauls or French, considering that our every king was in fact Carlo (Charles) Stefan Urosh etc... French were kinds "important" though it is attested that our late medieval rulers (best ones) hated them, esp. Anjou :)

nonetheless, again very valuable info about Portugal, maybe i said it a bit carelessly but now - when you mention it - i think (pretending to know more than some) maybe disregarded "-cal" theory.... nonetheless Portuguese (even this is indicative as it would be "portugallois" or to that extent indeed) girls shouldn't worry - i am not obsessed with Irish redheads anyway :) Adriana one of the more beautiful carrying that "non-Gaul" gene, just less beer and food ;) .....I'm not some traveller, but even I faced "Latin American" passion sometimes in life so - you know better than me probably and how much more touchy they can be than Europeans - i felt bad for "liking" Spanish and Portuguese conquests publicly, considering how passionate and touchy some of them can be... musical intermezzo as pardon :) .... most seriously Bombast it is obvious that i collect stories about "extravagant" persons, "badass" or similar and like to do characterizations from "sword era" and if you ever feel like some Portuguese, but generaly not place ; so it is great i run at you and your thread i "missused" if you indeed intented to talk more about Portugal i.e. its med history.... what i find funny in film or such stories is quasi-shock by Europeans on threatment of (for example) "Indians" while Europe itself had inquisitors, brutality and similar... those are all historical interests, while in reality i'm very gentle and "do babies" to South America (except Paraguay as we still didn't reach "green pass" agreement yet for some reason if Wiki is right))... less violence and gang-culture and you are among top beautiful and fem-exotic regions.... Spanish men were hooligans, don't worry :) ... regionaly, in med Bulgaria and Albania remembered especially as vicious (but that's also myth) in med Serbia as alright for cooperation and conquista ;) (but that is also unknown as we have document of just some Aragonese coming here from Sicily, for sure in unconfirmed area maybe indeed thousands of our "Iberians".....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVlMtzQFPD8

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2022-06-07 20:30, Tuesday

Featuring the nosy Gaul... French actor... also somewhat "historical" film about a nosy character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6_p8sF0Yw trailer

Got it taped very long ago.
Second or third time I viewed it discovered a thing unique that I know of.
The whole movie rhymes...

Cultural influences at a distance?
What seems to be emerging is the idea that pre-historic folks traveled a lot more and a lot farther than previously imagined.
But having the means to register a trip doesn't mean you do it.
How many Marco Polo's never put their travels to written form?
More intriguing, how did Piri Reis got his hands on that map?...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-06-08 18:31, Wednesday

but Columbos' twin anyway :) ...in a way good to know some historical sensibilities like you explained humoristically in French-Portu-NON-gal ones, so to speak....

something else, while LatinA (SA) is on my mind focus (you are always on my mind baby...)). I never was shy about political comment or two while as paradox I really dislike politics and would never be good one... Checked some things and, since I mentioned one it is unfair not to mention the other one too, so it is Venezuela also without "green pass" for us and no babies for me :) So in some political-spectral view, interestingly and slightly comically we do not have "pass" with one country (traditionally, really do not know what kind of govt is current, but right) viewed as "strongly right" and one which is (declarative) "left" in some south American cut.... however, reciprocity only we have only with Venezuela and are currently only country in region and Europe (along Ukraine and UK - non European - plus Ireland) with reciprocity... And that is "unfair" and shows how "weak" we are as to me only fair diplomatic treatment is reciprocity... i'd be man of honor in that field, absolutely treat Paraguyans as they deserve because we are of similar size... :) (and declare war) of course nothing against populations, just joking generally but am true about reciprocity as political fair tool, to me, but those thinking "interests" would disagree... i just hope we do not trade with LA what i think we trade :lol ...would like to hear from people on the continent, but not gonna happen but you are welcome esp. fem turn-based fans :p

history - while refreshing memory on film and looking for parts for previous post - noticed how Spanish conquistadors were flying (among some other recognizible colors) also flag I presented many posts above as first known "flag" of Serbian kingdom i.e. red-blue banner :yes it is in cuts left from Moxica while he turns around on horse on beaches in front of "conquistadors" and there are few banners of "our" flag... so i'm glad i presented it much before it was found in sources )

i think i finish own Latin A and conquista block... also never said but went to elementary school named after our man nicknamed "Shpanac i.e. Spaniard" as he was communist fighting in Spain (we were communist country before, btw, explaination od school name for SA readers).... in teen "child fights" in entertainment parks or sport competitions against other schools we were known as "Shpanci/Spaniards" .... might have something to do with my likening of whole story, but is pleasant change of subject, so yes i'd definitely make a film or two about it and our tries to conquer or bring back Lima under our control.... have fun. most seriously is "epic" and as final joke and look at subject from my perspective - if Iberians didn't do it we would most likely have just another English speaking region i.e. continent full of, well, Anglo-Sexons with a lot of countries and "no pasaran" i.e. no "green pass" for us :lol ...this way beautiful Brazil is all ours and open, just i'm getting old for conquista ; .... next time only serious subjects from our med history, this was a bit of derailment ; ...Latin Americans welcome to ask or contact me if they need expainations about greatest empire ever and Rascia....

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2022-06-09 20:24, Thursday

Ale wrote:
2022-06-08 18:31, Wednesday
.... next time only serious subjects from our med history, this was a bit of derailment
Derailment if we think of the direction this train went.
If we think of the initial intention of giving notice I have a 5 volume Military History of Portugal from which I can translate bits that may be of interest for forum members... the train has been teleported to the multiverse...

On retrospective the topic title should have been "New Military History of Portugal" as the books.
And instead of giving a sample translation I should have just write "people, give a buzz if you want info on any part of the thing".
Truth be said, in the old JP's days, if I remember well, from the whole 5 volumes, there was a single piece of info that was of interest to someone.
Adler, if I remember well.

So, who cares the topic goes like the moon in Space 1999?...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-06-09 23:00, Thursday

yes, it was "derailed" after my first post in that sense :p but honestly i admitted it many times through thread, mentioned you and gave my pardon so i give again.... as for my interest and hope for comparative or interested souls - since we reached some time of "goodbye and conclusions" to activity of that sort - my numerous post were as "hope dies last" as is old saying, so i tried to "switch" subjects from Italy to Turkey to France to Spain, but my subjects are over.... guess it is for other places or direct contact, like I recently had and mentioned here, in France...

very sorry if situation about Portugal was like that even back there (with so many memebers once) - one could understand lack of interest for my something :) i'm not touchy person at all and always "realists" nor I tried to talk about it exclusively just look if some more modern or contradictory sources/views exist - but Portuguese is spoken among milions etc... as said early empire making and explorations is what i liked to read about Portugal and Spain... in that sense, just like "open mike" i had "subjects" but not people from other meridians (I gave up that one also), so you'll understand my last explain.... few years ago 7-8 i used some "social i.e. international media platforms" but stopped long time ago as well, met Mexican and asked "like from the cannon" : "how come your country famous for most dangerous cartels and cartels leaders on planet have visa free with us, while we do not to Mexico" ... and we laughed about it, "bad luck" :) (while Mexico is fun place, thumbs up if you from there) ...so i imagine all people are like that and talkative.... we live in what i call "shitty place" (globally) always interested to hear fom others - people in similar situations even more than from once called "first world" - but not gonna happen here ;) you are clever guy, so i get my idea behind some post including here, with excuse again.... i was like "if already posting on international place, maybe someone from Brazil will be like there to say something".... so yes, like you with some conclusions so I generally made my and can only agree with you for what I tried (it is few years now after all) it is over as subject so no more anything from Serbia medieval history after all ).... always free for contact, look, comparison, share some pics or monuments etc but mind what Bombast explained as his intention, not mine.... as for domestic readers, we have some medieval subjects, events and characters of interest, hopefully you liked some of my thoughts, never trust anyone esp. historians ..... :lol have fun Bombast.