Lets Play "Codename: Panzers Phase 2", all Allied medals (no videos) ~~ DONE

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Lets Play "Codename: Panzers Phase 2", all Allied medals (no videos) ~~ DONE

Post by mythos » 2020-11-28 19:02, Saturday

:howdy greetings generals and welcome to my [all Allied reward medals] challenge for "Codename: Panzers Phase 2" (CPP2 for short).

I have never seen all Allied medals myself, thus this will be fun.
The related Axis medals thread got drowned in chaos, because of overlapping goals (all medals + infantry only). To avoid the chaos i will stick to the main goal, all medals, this time.

Actually, i had hoped to be able to avoid playing the all Allied medals challenge:
- several scenarios are a boss
- out of the 8 scenraios, 3 are aux only
- i will need several tanks (i know the playstyle of [tanks only] and [tanks + snipers] already)
Thus, i checked Let's Play videos and playlists, but couldn't find an all medals playthrough :shock
OTOH while doing a quick investigation (to try out the different units for the Unit Discussion) i found that i still remember some scenarios very well.

Preparations:

- difficulty setting: hard
AFAIK (the manual explains nothing and i was too lazy to compare enemy XP and numbers), the only difference between difficulties in the CPP games is, that the harder the setting, the lower the replacement of lost core units:
* on easy you get the lost core unit replaced, with XP value from before current scenario (for free)
* on medium you get the lost core unit replaced, wit 0 XP (for free)
* on hard you don't get the lost core unit back (not even its prestige value)
A "lost unit" in this regard is meant as "total loss".
Example, a Rifles unit consists of 5 individual soldiers. If 1 soldier survives, then you will have 4 losses in the AAR, but the actual unit survived and will get set to 5 soldiers without XP loss for free, independet of difficulty. Only if all 5 soldiers are killed, then this Rifles unit is counted as "total loss", and thus the difficulty setting takes action

- allowed core purchases:
* no restrictions for the all medals challenge

- "living off the land" allowed
(taking controll over supply depots, capturing guns, using flamethrowers to capture tanks, use buildings)

- scenario special abilities allowed
(Recon Aircraft, Fighter Bomber strikes, Carpet Bomber Strikes, Heavy Artillery strikes and Para Troopers are sometimes available, in various combinations and numbers)

- orientation: north
the mini-map has a small white wedge/bow on 1 of its edges, this is however very rarely pointing "up". I assume the white bow shall indicate where north is (according to cardinal directions). While playing, i do rotate the map a lot. However for streamlined orientation, if i mention north/west/southwest/etc, i mean that the main game screen was rotated, so that the white bow is pointing up

- there is no differentiation between victory types, as you can only continue if
* you achieved all main objectives
* the main campaign heros (like Hans or Wilson) survived
Thus, instead of writing BV/V/TV, i will instead add all objectives (including "secret", but excluding "hero name must survive" ) with their prestige rewards.

Table of Contents

1) Guns and Vehicles Discussion
2) Infantry and Attachments Discussion
3) Breakthrough at El Alamein
4) HQ 1 and Tobruk
5) Kasserine Pass
6) HQ 2 and Tunis
7) Operation Husky
8) Crossing the Volturno
9) HQ 3 and Monte Cassino
10) HQ 4 and Anzio-Cisterna
11) Fixes, Additions and Campaign Aftermath
Last edited by mythos on 2020-12-17 14:10, Thursday, edited 10 times in total.

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Lets Play "Codename: Panzers Phase 2", all Allied medals (no videos)

Post by mythos » 2020-11-28 19:03, Saturday

Guns and Vehicles Discussion

Although the general assessment is similar to CPP1 for most units, this discussion specifically deals with CPP2 units. In particular with those purchasable during campaign play.
There might be some differences in damage, pricing and range between the games.

Where applicable and reasonable i added some notes relating to Axis and Soviet units.

I sorted the lists according to availability, then according to price (earlier and cheaper = higher up in the list), and detailed when in the campaign the units become available.

Where meaningful, i added a "better known as" name in brackets to a unit. Example:
- BL 5 (BL 5.5 inch)

Units from the Towed Guns, Support Vehicles and Infantry classes almost never disappear from purchase options in course of the campaigns, and many units from the Tank class also stay.
In short: i only added this info where applicable.
In several cases the temporal units are available only for one Headquarters phase, thus you might read "Last chance to buy: HQ 2" even though the unit only just appeared for "HQ 2"

All vehicles have lights. These can be turned on and off during night scenarios.
If off, units have 25% sight range penalty.
If on, the penalty is removed, but units can be seen from farther away (there will be a "lights on" icon in the Fog of War - this effect/icon doesn't seem to affect the AI, at least it won't come chasing/investigating if you turn lights on).

All units can be set to
- aggressive (if attacked or sees an enemy and that enemy moves away, the unit will chase the target)
- defensive (if attacked or sees an enemy, shoots at it)
- passive (never attacks, unless manually ordered to do so)

Final note:
i wrote this up during the past 2 weeks. The texts need polishing, and my assessment might change once i have actual experience with the units again

Allied Towed Guns

- Bofors 40mm
* Headquarters 1
* Anti-Air, Anti-Tank
Cheap, lots of ammo, AA ability.
Low damage. High rate of fire leads to fast ammo consumption. Unlike the German flak (high range), the bofors has "standard" gun range. Needs a tractor for moving.
Enemy air strikes are very rare during all campaigns and they pose a serious threat even rarer (and then most of the time those strikes are either limited to 2-4, or you get a Scenario Goal to turn them off).
Because of this and its low damage, i never bothered buying it

- 6-Pounder
* Headquarters 1
* Anti-Tank
Cheap, okay damage.
Low ammo supply. Can be moved by infantry, but a tractor is recommended.
Since the Allied campaign starts later in the war, you probably want to skip these and get an artillery instead

- 25-pounder
* Headquarters 1
* Artillery
Good range and damage.
Medium amount of ammo (when compared with other artilleries). Can be moved by infantry, but a tractor is recommended.
By the time you can finance towed guns you will probably want to get the BL 5 instead

- Churchill Crocodile Latex Trailer
* Headquarters 2
* Ammo Supply
This doesn't do anything on its own.
It is required for the Churchill Crocodile: when a Crocodile tows a Latex Trailer, the Crocodile can operate its flamethrower

- BL 5 (BL 5.5 inch)
* Headquarters 2
* Artillery
Much more damage than the 25 pounder, and has the longest possible range in the game (together with some other artilleries).
Can be moved by infantry, but a tractor is recommended.
The low ammo supply can be annoying.
One of the most powerful guns in both games, and comparatively cheap

Allied Support Vehicles

Bullet type weapons (on vehicles: primarily defensive MGs) have unlimited ammo.
No matter the terrain, halftracked/tracked/wheeled units move at the same speed.

- Willys Jeep
* Headquarters 1
* Jeep
Cheap and very fast.
It starts without a driver, thus you need to put any infantry unit in it to make the jeep operating. Cannot tow guns. No offensive abilities whatsoever. No armour, low health.
I classify it as "jeep" instead of "recon", because it has low spotting range.
Totally useless in my opinion

- Bedford QL
* Headquarters 1. Last chance to buy: HQ 2
* Tractor
Cheap, fast and can tow guns. Has an integral driver. Can carry 2 infantry units (in addition to and at the same time as towing guns). Noticeably faster than infantry "on foot".
No armour, low health.
Probably your best option for towing guns in the Allied campaign

- Bedford QL Ammo Truck
* Headquarters 1
* Ammo Truck
Can resupply tanks, towed guns and vehicles. If you use any of these, you will want at least 1 ammo truck.
Carries 5.000 "ressupply units" (RUs for short). For ammo, these are consumed asymmetric: a unit which has 100 ammo will deduct less RUs from the ammo truck, than a unit with 70 - and noticeable less than a unit with 25 ammo.
Can be refilled at a supply depot (2 RUs per second)

- M2A1 Support
* Headquarters 1.
* Repair Truck.
Can repair tanks, towed guns and vehicles. If you use any of these, you will want at least 1 repair truck.
Carries 5.000 "ressupply units" (RUs for short), these are consumed at 1 RU per Health or Armour point (there are sometimes rounding issues and +/- 1 RU is consumed).
Can be refilled at a supply depot (2 RUs per second)

- M15A1 Air Defense
* Headquarters 1
* Self-Propelled Air Defense (SPAD)
Lots of ammo, AA ability.
Low damage. High rate of fire leads to fast ammo consumption.
Enemy air strikes are very rare during all campaigns and they pose a serious threat even rarer (and then most of the time those strikes are either limited to 2-4, or you get a Scenario Goal to turn them off).

- Dodge WC 57
* Headquarters 2
* Jeep
Cheap and very fast. Can tow things. Has an MG with high damage.
It starts without a driver, thus you need to put any infantry unit in it to make the jeep operating. No armour, extremely low Health.
I classify it as "jeep" instead of "recon", because it has low spotting range.
Not "totally", but still useless in my opinion

- M2A1 Truck
* Headquarters 2
* Tractor
Cheap, fast and can tow guns. Has an integral driver. Can carry 1 infantry unit (in addition to and at the same time as towing guns). Has an MG for defense.
Noticeable faster than infantry "on foot". It has twice the Health Points over the Bedford and some armour to irgnore bullet damage (Medic/Rifles/MG/SMG/Sniper infantry as well as onboard MGs of many tanks and vehicles).
The armour is too thin against any AT weapon to feel safe. You may not actively initiate attacks with the M2A1, however in terms of defensive fire, the MG can rotate 360°...but only defend against infantry, which will run away due to the M2's armour.
In my opinion it isn't worth your Prestige

- M16 Quad AA
* Headquarters 3
* Self-Propelled Air Defense (SPAD)
Cheap, or rather "much cheaper than the M15". AA ability. Unlimited ammo, since it is MG armed. High rate of fire.
Infantry will (try to) run away from the M16, because of its armour.
I thought for a while to use this as infantry defense, but snipers are more effective in that role - plus they provide spotting range and may enter buildings.

Allied Tank Vehicles

Bullet type weapons (on vehicles: primarily defensive MGs) have unlimited ammo.
No matter the terrain, halftracked/tracked/wheeled units move at the same speed.

- Humber Mk II
* Headquarters 1. Last chance to buy: HQ 1
* Recon Car
Cheap, fast and high spotting range (same as infantry without Binoculars).
It has some armour, but that won't save the day against anything except recon cars. Infantry will (try to) run away from the Humber, because of its armour. The spotting range is nice, but if you want a recon unit: a sniper with binoculars has more spotting and will deal more damage (against infantry anyway) - all at a cheaper price.
Recon cars are in my opinion useless in both games

- M3A1 Stuart
* Light Tank
Classified as a light tank, the Stuart has (almost) the same weaponry as the Italian M13/40 (the M13 has a slightly stronger main gun), while slightly weaker armour.
Cheap, fast, and good mix of weapons and armour. There are 2 problems though:
- in the Allied campaign you need thicker armour than this
- the Stuart has very little ammo
Not exactly useless, but not useful either

- Bishop
* Self-Propelled Artillery (SPArty)
Thick armour, stong gun, cheaper than a Crusader and available right from the first HQ.
Low ammo supply.
The Tobruk scenario can be a boss, thus including a Bishop in your core is pretty solid

- Crusader (Crusader Mk II)
* Medium Tank
Quite cheap, medium armour and lots of ammo.
Problem is, the main gun will be too weak.
If you are short on Prestige you could try these, but you should phase them out as fast as possible

- Churchill Mk III
* Medium Tank
An upgraded Crusader: additional MG and a stronger main gun, rest of stats the same.
More expensive than the Crusader
If you are considering the Churchill, then you should look at the Archer instead

- Archer
* Self-Propelled Anti-Tank (SPAT)
More armour than the Crusader/Churchill and a much stronger main gun. It is only slightly more expensive than the Churchill.
Low ammo supply.
Contrary to reality, the game Archer's gun is mounted forward facing. The Archer turns rather fast, thus the lack of a turret is negligible.
Before you think about Churchills and Matildas, get Archers instead

- Matilda Mk II
* Medium Tank
Very thick armour, infact more armour than most vehicles. Enough ammo.
Weak main gun, very expensive.
Although i like the Matilda, its armour will be penetrated eventually, if you cannot take out enemies fast enough.
Consider the Archer instead

- Daimler Dingo
* Headquarters 2
* Recon Car
Basically a Humber, just with more armour (still very thin)

- Churchill Crocodile
* Headquarters 2
* Flame Tank
Basically a Churchill Mk III with the turret MG removed.
In place of the MG there is a flame thrower, but without a Latex Trailer connected to the Crocodile, the flamer won't shoot.
By the time the Crocodile arrives its armour is too thin to try capturing enemy tanks with this tank, and a turret MG is more effective at taking out infantry (example enemy tank crews which left their destroyed vehicle)

- Valentine III
* Headquarters 2. Last chance to buy: HQ 2
* Medium Tank
Medium armour which is worth this name, lots of ammo. Its main gun is a little stronger than the Churchill's.
Try these if you are short on Prestige, but replace them with Shermans as fast as possible

- M3A1 Grant
* Headquarters 2
* Self-Propelled Anti-Tank (SPAT)
More armour than the Matilda, strong main gun and lots of ammo.
Very expensive.
Listed ingame as a medium tank, i consider it a SPAT: the main gun is not in the turret, but mounted in the hull (like a SPAT's main gun) - the turret holds the MG.
In reality, the Grant had a 37mm gun in addition to the MG, both in the turret. In the game, the Grant has an additional MG (it won't shoot at armoured vehicles, thus i assume it's an MG) instead of the 37mm gun. It has about the range of the average vehicle MG, does seemingly more damage per bullet (i need to guess, since its stats cannot be seen - unlike "normal" vehicle MGs, which are stated) however it shoots slower.
Turns relatively fast, thus the lack of a "main gun in turret" combo is negligible.
Get Grants if you can afford them, they are useful until campaign end

- M7 Priest
* Headquarters 3
* Self-Propelled Artillery (SPArty)
More ammo, damage and range than the Bishop. At this stage of the campaign: very cheap.
You will still notice the low ammo supply, unless you babysit your SParty. Less armour than the Bishop, but your artillery should be sitting behind your tanks anyway - in particular the Priest: it has the longest possible range in the game (together with some other artilleries).
The Priest is excellent, if you like self-propelled arty

- Cromwell Mk IV
* Headquarters 3
* Medium Tank
Basically an upgraded Churchill III, with a stronger main gun, a little more frontal armour and half the ammo.
The Cromwell arrives too late to be useful, ignore these

- Sherman
* Headquarters 3
* Medium Tank
Lots of ammo and a main gun which can deal out some damage in the hands of an experienced crew.
The armour is a little thin though, by the time the Sherman arrives.
If you consider Shermans, get the Firefly instead, it is only +8 Prestige

- Sherman Firefly
* Headquarters 3
* Medium Tank
Strong main gun, lots of ammo and medium armour at the upper end.
By the time the Shermans arrive their armour is a little thin, but with the Firefly's main gun (and a nearby repair truck) you will get through.
Solid pick

- M26 Pershing
* Headquarters 4
* Heavy Tank
Enough ammo, very stong main gun (same as the Archer) and tons of armour.
Same price as the M3 Grant.
I am confused that this appears in the Allied campaign (especially considering that there was the Churchill VII in CPP1), since the last scenario plays in May '44, but oh well.
Great tank

That's it for buyable Allied guns and vehicles in the campaign.
Last edited by mythos on 2020-12-17 09:53, Thursday, edited 3 times in total.

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-11-28 19:08, Saturday

Infantry and Attachments Discussion

UK and US infantry is the same, with few exceptions.
Differences to German(*) inf:
- Allied Rifles have shorter range than German (and Italian and Soviet) Rifles, 34 vs 40
- some units have different damage value
Otherwise, GER and Allied infantry is the same. I'll detail the few damage differences below.

(*)I didn't say "Axis", because Italian inf deals less damage than those of other nations - it is less expensive in turn, but usually you should go for the damage. One noticeable exception is ITA Tank Crews, which have same stats and price of GER/SOV/US units.

All infantry units have unlimited ammo.

They also share the same spotting range, with 2 exceptions:
- "campaign heroes" like Barnes have as much spotting as inf with Binoculars
- Italian inf units have ca 7 less spotting range than inf units of any other country, except for snipers which have "normal" spotting
Infantry spotting range drops a lot when manning guns and jeeps (and other vehicles in case of Tank Crew) - buildings don't cut the actual "range", however: soldiers cannot look through walls, only through the building's openings.

All infantry with "standing" order moves at a speed of about 14 (Dingo = 22, Valentine = 17, Sherman = 15, Bishop = 12, tractor towing a gun = 11). I didn't test "crouching" and "prone" speed.

All units can be set to
- aggressive (if attacked or sees an enemy and that enemy moves away, the unit will chase the target)

Special infantry orders:
- standing, unit is more visible, but can run around
- crouching, less visible, but moves slower
- prone, even less visible, but moves even slower

All infantry, except Mortars, can enter buildings.
All infantry, except AT-Rifles/Bazookas/Flame Throwers/Mortars, can clear occupied buildings (meaning "enter the building and shoot it out with the hostile crew" ). The 4 exceptions can only attack the building itself.

All infantry can operate towed guns.
Tank Crews can additionally operate vehicles (*), without loss of efficiency.
(*) actually, all infantry can operate jeep-style units, like the Kubelwagen and Willys Jeep.
The more soldiers in a unit, the more useful it is for operating towed guns: once there is only 1 soldier left, the gun cannot move anymore (but still turn and shoot).
A similar, though more grave, effect for vehicles: if the Tank Crew has less than 4 soldiers, then main gun and MG(s) (in this order) will stop working - at 1 crew the vehicle can only drive.

Attacks against an infantry unit randomly spread along the soldiers in the unit. It can still happen that the same soldier gets hit multiple times (example, a unit of 2 Rifles attacks another infantry, the 2 Rifles could roll the same soldier as target), but on average the attacks will be divided evenly among the soldiers of a unit.
Because of this, the more soldiers in a unit, the higher its survivability is.

[Damage] is listed on a "per soldier and per projectile" basis - the latter is sensible, since MG and SMG units fire salvos, with each salvo dealing several times the "per projectile" damage. I don't know for sure how many projectiles are fired per salvo, but concluding from tests i assume it is 5-6 for MG and 4-5 for SMG.
Unless otherwise noted, [Damage] is for GER, SOV, UK, US infantry. ITA inf deal less damage, as noted above.

Damage types:
- Bullet = can strike infantry and unarmoured targets
- Anti-Tank = can additionally strike armoured targets, but is less effective against infantry
- High Explosive = effective against any target, deals area/splash damage
- Fire = very effective against infantry. Doesn't deal direct damage to vehicles/guns, instead it heats the vehicle/gun. At a certain point, the crew will abandon the vehicle/gun, making it possible to capture it. If too much fire damage is dealt, the vehicle/gun will explode anyway.
Please note: tractors and trucks (example Opel Blitz, GAZ Ammo Truck or M2 Repair Truck) cannot be captured, since the driver is an integral part of the unit.

Sidenotes:
Only Flak/Air Defense units may strike air targets.
Details about attachments follow after the general discussion.

Final notes:
- except for 2 units, all UK infantry is available from the start, i still detailed availability info for all
- all US infantry becomes available at the same time, at Headquarters 2
- many GER, UK and US infantry units have "desert camo" and "Europe camo" icons, they automatically switch between them when going to Italy

Allied Infantry

- Rifles
* Headquarters 1
* Soldiers: 5
* Damage: 5 Bullet (5,5 for US Rifles)
Thanks to its large soldier count, this unit is quite durable.
Rifles can carry any type of attachment.
The biggest advantage of Rifles is their low price and high durability. Since enemy infantry is rarely very experienced, 3-4 experienced core Rifles can be quite a boss on the battlefield - even more if outfitted with the right attachments.
Their best use is probably as gun crew and field support, though they can also clear buildings if needed.
If you don't go for "infantry in numbers", you are probably better off picking specialized infantry instead

- Medic
* Headquarters 1
* Soldiers: 2
* Damage: 5 Bullet
In terms of damage per projectile they look like Rifles, but shoot slower. US Medics lack the damage boost and Axis+SOV Medics the range boost of their rifle-brothers, indicating that medics might (internally) use a completely different weapon, even though it looks the same.
Medics are very restricted with attachments. Their biggest disadvantage is probably their AI: if there are wounded soldiers nearby and if you order them to attack, they will shoot once and then continue healing - they completely ignore attachment orders (like throwing grenades) when healing.
Of course: medics are not there for combat, their only job is to keep your infantry alive, but it makes the option to carry Grenades kind of moot.
If you just add 2-4 snipers to your core you won't need more than 1-2 medics. If you however have range=34 infantry, or even shorter range, then you should consider adding more medics. 8 inf units could need 4-6 medics, depending on their types

- AT-Rifles
* Headquarters 1
* Damage: 26 Anti-Tank
They won't deal much damage to infantry (slow rate of fire, and wrong damage type of course), but that is not their job anyway.
2 experienced AT-Rifle units are enough to make a Pz IV go boom in reasonable time. Backed up by 2 medics this group can take out some tanks, just don't rush them into battles with more than 2-3 tanks at once: if the tanks have double MGs they might shred your AT-Rifles despite the medics.
Please note that there are no US AT-Rifles.
If you plan on mixing tanks with infantry, then you won't need AT-Rifles (range 34 vs a tank's 45, lower base damage compared to late war tank models)

- SMG
* Headquarters 1
* Soldiers: 5
* Damage: 6 Bullet
High damage, 5 soldiers - they even have higher Health (+25) per soldier than most other inf units.
The downside: very short range. If up against serious opposition you might lose some soldiers, while trying to get into range.
In my opinion, the primary job of SMGs is "bunker busting" (running up to buildings, enter them, and kill their crew), but they also make good gun crews.
Like Rifles they can carry all attachment types.
In a mixed group with MGs (and/or Rifles) and Medics they actually make solid frontliners, in addition to their role as bunker busters

- MG
* Headquarters 1
* Damage: 8 Bullet
High damage.
Only 2 soldiers means they are a little fragile.
Still, their high damage output makes them good at dealing with enemy tank crews (which jumped out of their destroyed vehicles) and clearing buildings.
If you are battling with the unit cap, 2 MGs will save your day compared to 4 Rifles, for example.
Depending on what you want to do, you might be better off with other inf types

- Flamethrower
* Headquarters 1
* Damage: 20 Fire (35 for US flamers)
One of the few options for fire/flaming damage (the others are flame tanks and the Molotov Cocktail attachment). Fire damage heats up vehicles and guns - at a certain point the crew will jump out. If too much fire damage is dealt, then the gun/vehicle will explode (dealing damage in a small area around it).
They have much higher Health (+80) per soldier than all other inf units.
Their big downside is their very short range - keep medics nearby.
Damage depends on distance to target, thus stick them close.
If you want to capture enemy tanks, these are your best option to empty them

- Tank Crew
* Headquarters 1
* Damage: 4 Bullet (4,5 for UK crews)
The are like a weaker version of SMG, when outside their vehicles.
The only infantry unit which can be upgraded - to a vehicle. This way you can also "sell" the vehicle via upgrading, without losing your experienced crew.
Their big disadvantage is: the damage bonus from XP-stars is not applied to their normal weaponry - it only applies to their vehicles.
The tank crew should usually be in a vehicle, though in a pinch they can also act as (an expensive) gun crew or a (weak) SMG.
The conclusion is simple: if you want to capture enemy vehicles or if you have vehicles, then you want tank crews (respectively: upgrade your crew to a vehicle), otherwise ignore them

- Sniper
* Headquarters 1
* Damage: 80 Bullet
Slow rate of fire, but very high damage and very long range.
Equipped with Binoculars, these can act as recon units - and take out the crew of that annoying artillery which is pestering your units.
With only 2 soldiers per unit they are a little fragile, but with their large range (55) they can be kept in safety behind your tanks and other units.
If you don't want to use much inf, get 2 snipers (and 1 medic): outfitted with Binoculars they provide spotting, their long attack range and high damage help when dealing with enemy artillery/tank crews - this is miles better than trying a "tanks only" approach

- Mortar
* Headquarters 2
* Damage: 40 High Explosive
Slow rate of fire, but can shoot over buildings/mountains and they are surprisingly effective: 2 mortar units are the equivalent of a BL 5.5/sIG 33/D-1 howitzer.
HE damage also works very well against (occupied) buildings.
Their biggest downside is the slow speed of projectiles, making them inaccurate at times against moving targets (like all artillery type units).
With only 2 soldiers per unit they are a little fragile, but with their large range (50) they can be kept in safety behind your tanks and other units.
Not a bad choice, but if you are struggling with the unit cap, ignore these

- Bazooka
* Headquarters 2
* Damage: 50 Anti-Tank
They deal a lot of damage against tanks and vehicles in general. Also good against guns.
Their projectiles ignore the armour of armoured vehicles and instead directly strike their Health.
Their biggest downsides are
- the slow speed of projectiles, making them inaccurate at times (comparable to artillery type units), your best bet is trying to line them up with enemy unit's traveling route
- their projectiles can detonate prematurely on terrain (hilly terrain)
- their projectiles detonate on contact, this includes friendly vehicles
With only 2 soldiers per unit they are a little fragile, keep medics nearby.
High-risk-high-reward style units

- Paratroopers
* Headquarters n/a
* Soldiers: 4
* Damage: 4,5 Bullet
* Attachments: Grenades (3), Molotov Cocktails (1)
Not available for purchase, only sometimes as Special Abilities during scenarios.
They act like a weaker version of SMGs.
They arrive with 0 XP - and with their attachments set to automatic use, you might want to pause the game and turn it off (rightclick), so that they don't accidentally throw them somewhere you don't want.
It can be difficult to grow their XP, thus making an "Excellent" score (for the scenario's medal) difficult - use them at your own discretion

That's it for buyable Allied infantry in the campaign.

Attachments

Infantry units can carry special equipment (Grenades, Dynamite, Binoculars...). The only exception is the Tank Crew: tank crews cannot carry any attachment.
The amount per special is limited by attachment type and by unit's experience. Additionally, each attachment is limited by infantry type (example, Medics cannot carry AT-Mines).
The carryable amount is independent from soldiers in a unit, example a 0 XP Rifles unit (5 soldiers) carries the same 3 Grenades as a 0 XP MG unit (2 soldiers).
Each inf unit may carry a maximum of 2 different attachments.
Some attachments have unlimited uses, respectively are always in effect. The other attachments are consumables, once used up you don't get replacements during the current scenario.
Each attachment costs some prestige for attaching (either 5 or 10), consumables cannot be refilled during a scenario, but are refilled for free between scenarios.
Infantry type has no effect on attachment damage, however more XP-stars raise damage dealt (except for AT-Mines).

There is a total of 8 attachments. At HQ, when an infantry is selected, they are from left to right:
Grenades , Molotov Cocktails , Magnetic Mines , Dynamite , AT-Mines , Binoculars , Rubber Boat , Mine Detector

For the consumables, the amount an inf may carry (Grenades to AT-Mines, according to the list above):
3-1-1-1-3 (at 0 and 1 XP-stars)
4-2-2-2-4 (at 2 and 3 XP-stars)
5-3-3-3-5 (at 4+ XP-stars)

Binoculars and Mine Detector are always in effect (aka "passives" ), while the Rubber Boat can be picked up again after use - hence i didn't list these 3 in the table above.

Grenades and Molotovs can be set to automatic use (right click the icon in the Unit Orders). Then, when an enemy unit comes into range, the infantry will throw. However, since the enemy might still be moving and thus result in a miss, and because infantry doesn't have a "minimum range" under which they won't throw (potentially resulting in friendly fire and even in self-damage), i never set them to automatic use.

Grenades and Molotovs add to a unit's XP, if a target is successfully hit.
Magnetic Mines, Dynamite/Explosives and AT-Mines do not.

- Grenades
Useful against infantry, unarmoured and thinly armoured guns/vehicles - can also be used against armoured vehicles.
The damage is not that much against medium/heavy armoured vehicles, but combined with AT-Rifle/Bazooka fire it adds up in general.
2 grenades can, depending on unit experience, take out a 2 soldier infantry.
When there are several units close together, there will be splash damage to units adjacent to the center of impact.
More XP-stars also raise throwing range.
Not overwhelming, but not bad either

- Molotov Cocktails
Useful against infantry, guns and unarmoured vehicles - can also be used against armoured vehicles.
Deals fire damage. A specialty of Molotovs: the fire sticks either to the vehicle or to the area of ground, dealing damage for several seconds (flames of flamethrowers and flame tanks are treated as normal "projectile" weapon fire).
Against guns/vehicles, it doesn't deal actual damage, but heats up the gun/vehicle (the crew will receive some damage - in case of guns a lot of damage, since they are so to say unprotected or "open" like infantry). At a certain point the crew will jump out, leaving the gun/vehicle open for capture (either by you or by enemy crews) once it cooled down a little.
When there are several units close together, there will be splash damage to units adjacent to the center of impact.
More XP-stars also raise throwing range.
The damage against gun crews and infantry is brutal

- Magnetic Mines
Useful against guns/vehicles.
You may also order to plant them on enemy infantry and buildings, but the unit will run up close (as if trying to plant the Mine) and then attack instead - in case of targeted inf, the Magnetic Mine will be lost, in case of buildings, the mine will be kept and the unit will enter the building.
Deals a ton of damage - with a few XP-stars any tank will be instantly killed, but also 0 XP units have a high chance of doing so.
Since the inf needs to run up close, the "mine layer" needs a lot of health (like Rifles) and preferably a Medic.
Don't forget to move your infantry away from the target after planting the mine.
A last resort option, requires too much work for convenient tactics

- Dynamite
A weaker form of Magnetic Mines, however can be used against any target with full effect (the explosives are actually not planted on the target, but on the ground near it).
It detonates quicker than Magnetic Mines.
Deals lots of damage against tanks. Buildings are always insta-killed, this usually (if not always) includes the crew of the building.
Don't forget to move your infantry away from the target after planting the explosives.
A last resort option, requires too much work for convenient tactics

- AT-Mines
Useful against any non-infantry class units, including towed guns.
Units up to 200 Health will be destroyed, others receive 200 damage. No damage bonus for XP-stars.
Tricky to use, since you need to lure enemy units to a small spot - doesn't need to be exact, but very close.
Still, worth a thought in defensive scenarios

- Binoculars
Extends the spotting range. Always in effect.
Even when sitting behind your tanks, Binocs-equipped infantry will see farther than gun range of your tanks - and since they are about as fast as, respectively faster than, all the late war tanks, they are excellent for reconnaissance and to deal with enemy tank crews and stray infantry, allowing your tanks to focus on their main job.
Good stuff

- Rubber Boat
Used to cross otherwise impassable rivers/lakes.
If there is a strict need for them in a scenario, they are available via scenario design.
Might be useful in European scenarios, but i never bothered

- Mine Detector
As the name implies, these allow you to spot enemy mines.
More XP-stars raise detection range.
Usually (but not always) you will receive auxiliary infantry with Mine Detectors when necessary.
1-2 additional detectors won't hurt, especially since aux detectors will generally be low or even 0 XP, thus lacking the bonus to spotting detection range

That's it for attachments in both games. There are no restrictions by side or time of the scenario played.

Effects of Experience

In CPP2, units can grow up to 8 XP-stars.

All units (except buildings, jeeps, towed guns, tractors and trucks) gain XP for damaging enemies. In case of tanks/SPartys/etc, only the crew gains XP.
All units gain XP for completing a scenario (+100).

Each star adds 5% of damage bonus (not sure if also +5% for attachments, however Grenades and Molotovs also deal more damage - also, Grenades and Molotovs can be thrown farther by experienced infantry).
In case of vehicles with multiple weapons, the bonus is added individually to all weapons.
In case of Tank Crews, they only have the damage bonus when manning a vehicle.
In case of towed guns, they don't get a damage bonus (neither on their own, nor from their crew), because they are treated as an independent entity (same for Magnetic Mines, Dynamite/Explosives and AT-Mines - they also don't get a damage bonus).

For the first XP-star, infantry units gain a Health bonus (+50 per soldier).

At 2 and 4 XP-stars, infantry gains a raise to the amount of attachments they can carry (not the amount of types, this is always 2, but the amount of an individual attachment. For example at 2 stars they carry +1 = 4 Grenades, instead of 3).

At 8 XP-stars, units gain a "hero bonus".
This adds an additional +15% damage bonus, summing up to +55% of damage.
This also adds a +50% defense bonus, in the sense of "heroes ignore 50% of incoming damage".

Campaign heroes (like Dario or Wilson) have the "hero bonus" no matter their XP-stars. They don't gain a second bonus at 8 stars - however they do gain the regular +5% per star.

In case of combat vehicles (they can be manned by a tank crew and a campaign hero at the same time), the hero boni add up (assuming a campaign hero and a crew with 8 stars), however the star boni only count once.
Example, a 5 star crew and a 0 star campaign hero would add +25% from the crew and +15% from the campaign hero.
Example, a 4 star crew and a 8 star campaign hero would add +40% and +15% from the hero (the crew is ignored).
Example, a 8 star crew and a 8 star campaign hero would add +40% and +15% from the crew and +15% from the hero.
These boni are added multiplicatively, when coming from different sources.
Example 1 = (1+0,25) x (1+0,15) = +43,75%
Example 2 = (1+0,40+0,15) x1 = +55%
Example 3 = (1+0,40+0,15) x (1+0,15) = +78,25%

I am not sure how much damage resistance is effectively added if both, the crew and the hero apply the hero bonus (due to their armour, vehicles receive damage asymmetrically).
However: the damage resistance effect is noticeably stronger, if 2 heroes control the vehicle.
Last edited by mythos on 2020-12-17 14:36, Thursday, edited 8 times in total.

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-11-28 19:14, Saturday

1) Breakthrough at El Alamein

Main Goals

1) Retreat to Kidney Ridge and hold it.
2) Take the village by defeating the Axis garrison.
--> 200 prestige total

Optional

1) Salvage damaged tanks and use them. (50 prestige)

Secret

1) Capture one 88mm flak. (75 prestige)

Specials

(all of these become available when the reinforcements arrive)

5x Heavy Bomber
2x Fighter-Bomber
2x Recon Aircraft

First thing to do after the cutscene played: pause the game.
Core units are the 3x Stuart and 1x Matilda at the front. I put them in a group and send them back to the ridge.
Next is telling infantry units in front to abandon their guns, then send all frontline infantry all the way to the Supply Depot (they won't be of much use in the upcoming battles).

With that out of the way i re-organized the units at Kidney Ridge a little, by sending the 2x artillery guns a little forward (they are otherwise too far behind to help the tanks in the valley), sending the AT guns and vehicles closer to the ridge (technically extending the range of artillery further) - core tanks were ordered to line up with the other units.
I don't recommend sending all units up to the Supply Depot, because the area up there is narrow and you need some space to maneuver.

There is infantry around the Supply Depot: i sent Medics, MGs, Flamers and Bazookas to the east (not a typo: in the east is the rear entrance to your base, and it is very possible that some enemy tanks will breakthrough your lines and make it up there).

Finally, up on the ridge you will find several Tank Crews, and to the north and south you should see some abandoned tanks. There is a total of 3 tanks in the south (with the third being quite a bit southwest) and four in the north (2 to the left of the center and 2 to the right, with the "outer" ones being a little bit farther away) - all are at the map borders. Start sending the tank crews to these tanks: they are damaged and as such will require some time for repairs, and you want them repaired quickly. Once manned, i sent the ones with a red health bar to the depot and the ones with a yellow health bar to the Repair Truck.

With the preparations out of the way, i unpaused the game.

The enemy will come in 3 waves.
During combat, i retreated damaged (less than 50-33% Health) tanks to the depot, and sent repaired ones down to the front.
Between each wave i resupplied the Stuarts and Matilda (the Crusaders have a lot of ammo and will visit the depot in between for repairs) and let the repair truck do its job.

Between wave 1 and 2, 2 groups of Shermans will appear. I sent them to the frontline immedeately.
On the second wave, once the enemy was motionless, i dropped most of the bombers on them, to blow those blasted bretzel beavers back to the bone*eh* stoneage :rocket

After the third wave was destroyed i carefully advanced any surviving recon car: there will be some survivors somewhere between the ridge and the city. They were dealt with with tanks, then there was a major repair and resupply phase.

There are minefields along the northern and southern map borders (hence the many "abandoned" tanks from the beginning), thus the tanks went through the center. Recon cars (and other wheeled units) shouldn't trigger the mines, only tracked vehicles (i didn't test it out, but IIRC i once had a repair truck get stuck on a mine, and since the repair trucks of all sides have tracked in both games, i think it has to do with tracks. If i don't forget i will try it out for details).

Meanwhile i also called all infantry (except flamethrowers) down to the scene.
Once the southern 88mm flak was spotted, i rushed it with infantry (i left the bazookas behind so that they don't accidentally blow something up) and, once clear, manned the Flak with an inf unit (completing the secret goal).

Once the outer perimeter of the city was cleared and all tanks repaired, i just overran the village with tanks and infantry.

https://imgur.com/crWYSaQ
Distinguished Conduct Medal with Oak Leaf (the latter for "Mentioned in Despatches" )

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-11-30 20:58, Monday

Added Attachment info to the Infantry and Attachments Discussion.

2) Headquarters 1

Downgraded
the most experienced Stuart to Tank Crew
Matilda to Bishop (coincidentally, second-most experienced crew)

Upgraded
least experienced Stuart to Archer
last Stuart to Crusader

Bought
2x Medic
2x Sniper with Binoculars
Flamethrower

Remaining Prestige

Thoughts
Not quite what i had imagined, but the Allies begin their quest with less starting core units and less Prestige for the first scenario. Combine this with the need for strong units (you start facing Pz IV F2s, StuGs and Tigers here, unlike the Axis campaign with just Crusaders) and thus the need for more expensive units, so that you cannot rebuild your core as easily when playing the Allies.
Particular crazy is the lack of a repair truck, which you don't even get as aux unit for Tobruk.

The Bishop doesn't have much ammo, but a lot of power and armour.
The Archer has "only" medium armour (though on the upper end of medium), but has a lot of power, outgunning the StuGs/Pz IVs and even the Tiger (only barely but still). Again not much ammo.

Core makeup (9 of 25 units)

- tank
1x Archer
1x Crusader

- infantry
1x Flamer
2x Medic
1x Tank Crew

- artillery
1x Bishop

- support
none

3) Tobruk

Main Goals

1) Rendezvous with the spy to get an update on the Axis battle plans.
2) Capture the roadside checkpoint.
3) Recapture the British High Commission, the administrative center of the area.
--> 300 prestige total

Optional

1) Destroy at least 50 percent of the German convoy (15 of 30). (50 prestige)

Secret

1) German convoy completely destroyed. (50 prestige)
2) Enemy radio used to initiate an airstrike. (50 prestige)

Specials

3x Heavy Bomber
3x Fighter-Bomber
2x Heavy Artillery
3x Recon Aircraft

I rewrote the text 2 times, but it is still a lot of text - somehow every part felt necessary.

First things first:

- i paused the game

- sent a Recon Aircraft over the Supply Depot in the map center

- the unemployed core tank crew switched places with the crew of the auxiliary Bishop. With the Bishop's low ammo, i wanted to babysit them, until a resupply means was aquired -> low XP gain for the Bishop's crews

- Barnes (campaign hero) left his Sherman and entered an aux Crusader - effectively spreading XP->damage boni among available units (both, Barnes and the crew of his Sherman start with 1 XP-star, while the aux Crusaders have 0 XP)

- i grouped core medics with aux Rifles (the latter having Mine Detectors. I set the Rifles to "passive" so that they don't accidentally shoot something), with the Rifles spread farther out, and sent this group straight east from the starting position of core units: there is an AT minefield, ideal training ground for the medics to get closer to their first XP-star (for the inf-Health-bonus).
Every now and then i came back to this group and sent it forward/eastward a little (the Metal Detectors don't have much range, making this babysitting necessary)

- the unemployed (aux) tank crew and my flamethrowers followed the medics, with some distance. There is a lonesome tank in the east basically begging to be captured

- snipers and aux medic were grouped together to act as recon, and sent north (along the map border) until spotting the first enemies

- the aux MG was put behind all other units. It isn't needed now, but will be soon

With the preliminaries out of the way, i unpaused the game.

Even though it has been a while, i still remembered all the nasty tricks of this scenario.
For example, there is a 150mm sFH18 around the central supply depot (it is just a designers ressource = not available for purchase during campaign or scenario play. The trickery: it has something between 150-200 range (that is +50-100% of any purchasable long-range arty), a freakload of damage and in this scenario: is sitting close to a supply depot, thus lots of ammo), this thing will kick your back a lot if not taken care off.
Anyway, i will cover all the evil stuff below.

The snipers and recon plane will soon spot 2 enemy SPartys (Bison I). To ease things up for my units (as mentioned: a repair truck is lacking) i dropped a Fighter Bomber on each of the Bisons. Soon after, the recon plane uncovered the above mentioned heavy artillery around the supply depot, thus i dropped my last Fighter Bomber on it.

Only then i started dealing with the 2 groups of tanks - vehicles vs vehicles, snipers took care of surviving tank crews. I then sent the snipers east. There are 3 square-shaped sandbag bunkers on the west-central side of the city, each with a crew.
Snipers then continued with infantry around the supply depot, while tanks dealt with 3 StuGs (south-central of the main road running from the west to the east).

With regards to tanks: damaged units were retreated to the rear.

Sometime in between things got a little hectic in the south: the medics group went a little too far eastwards, drawing the attention of the enemy tank on them.
I rushed the flamethrowers to the tank to burn out its crew.
A :stress and a :phew minute later (flamed vehicles need to cool down before your tank crew may enter), i strengthened my numbers with a tiny little something https://imgur.com/zfoTSES
It is still shining orange, because it isn't fully cooled down yet, but it is combat ready :evil

Finally, time to put the aux MG to use. There are 3 occupied buildings "adjacent" to the supply depot:
- 1 holds an AT-Rifle
- 1 an MG
- 1 a Bazooka
The MG can be ignored (clearing buildings adds 0 XP), unless you want to sent your infantry through the field/acre southwest of the depot.
The AT-Rifle will reveal itself, just sent your MG adjacent to the depot (you might need to circle around it a little), then just order your Bishops to blow the building (similar idea for the MGs).
The bazooka will reveal itself too (and probably as the first unit), just send your MG into the building.

While the tanks forces now had something to repair and resupply, the sniper team went straight west to the map border: there is a 88mm Flak atop the western hill. Don't capture it yet, just take out the guards and crew.

Meanwhile, the medics group took out the square-shaped sandbag bunker at the harbour entrance/bassin and cleared the last mines (close to the water bassin).
Also, the building northwest of the bunker and the white building north of that were cleared (AT-Rifles and bazookas). Finally, the building straight north of the Meeting Place also holds enemy inf (an MG). They overwatch the meeting place (Main Goal no.1) and will cause problems if not taken care off.
I sent Barnes to all 3 building (careful not to step on the orange Objective Marker).

Meanwhile - although not strictly necessary, it will ease things up a little - the tanks went northwest to the German flag at the end of the road and took out enemy tanks there, while infantry dealt with enemy inf, then went up the ridge and took out the artillery which was causing some trouble for the tanks (i didn't go to the depot up on the ridge yet).

Then i formed groups:
- road = Archer, Crusaders, 1x Sniper, MG, 1x Medic, 1x Rifles (Flak crew)
- city = Sherman, Tiger, 2x Bishops, Flamer, 1x Sniper, 2x Medic, 1x Rifles and Barnes (didn't put him in a tank)

The road group was planted over the road, with tanks roughly building a line between the flag and Flak (this will help with the Optional and one Secret Goal) and infantry then put right behind them.
The city group was sent southeast, to the harbour/bassin.

40 Minutes into the scenario, we can finally deal with the first goal :crazy

Barnes went to the Meeting Place and triggered the cutscene.
After the scene played, supply trucks will start moving along the northern main road, to the flag (aka "roadside checkpoint" from Main Goal no.2).
While the road group dealt with the enemy supply column, the city group slowly cleaned a path towards the High Commission building. We don't want to get there yet, but to the Imam's tower south of it (respectively: east of the mosque): the Germans set up a radio station there (Secret Goal no.2). It is guarded by a 50mm Pak and a sIG 33, and inside the building a sniper.

But first: in the far south, we cleared a building earlier (the white building). Straight north of it is a sniper inside a house. Approach it from the south (to avoid getting shot) with Barnes, and let him enter. He will get badly wounded but should clear the building.
Farther north there will be a bazooka in one of the buildings, but this shouldn't be a problem, just send Barnes in again. At the mosque will be some infantry and a Pz IV.
The bigger problem will be the area between the bazaar (tents) and the harbour: lots of infantry (several inside buildings) including mortars and artillery. I sent a recon plane over this area and once the leFH was in sight, sent a Carpet Bomber strike to destroy it.
Then the infantry of the city group went through this area (basically only just a little east of the street) and when some enemy inf was visible, i let the sniper shoot - if necessary Barnes cleared buildings.

By the time the area south of the tents got cleared, the enemy supply column should also be taken out.

On to the last Secret Goal.
I moved the Bishops into position so that the area around the tower was in range, put Barnes into the Tiger and then sent the Tiger to the tower to get spotting. They took out the 2 guns in the yard. Keep the Tiger close to the tower and after a short while the Secret Goal should finish and play a cutscene (check nearby buildings to the south if not, and respectively there is a Pz IV to the east/southeast). With the Tiger still close to the tower, i let Barnes enter and clear it (the snipers will otherwise provide spotting on your units).

With this out of the way, time to resupply and repair the city group.
Meanwhile, i sent the infantry on its last job for this scenario. Together with the Crusaders (the Archer was sent to join the city group) they went up the ridge and took over the supply depot up there. There is also a Pz III to the east side of the ridge which probably survived the airstrike, on the path down.
Once repaired, i gathered the Tiger, Sherman, Archer and both Bishops in front of the mosque.

I sent the tanks forward to clear the outer perimeter also using the last Heavy Artillery strikes, then retreated for repairs. Then made the final assault to retake the High Comission building.

https://imgur.com/Ls6piCH
It reads "George Medal", but according to its ribbon this is the Military Medal

Core losses: 1x flamer (1 soldier of the unit = unit survived)

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-12-02 16:30, Wednesday

4) Kasserine Pass

Main Goals

1) Defend the village of Kasserine until further notice.
2) Retreat to the supply base on the south, and hold it until relieved.
3) Recapture the village of Kasserine.
--> 375 prestige total

Optional

1) Capture a Tiger. (75 prestige)

Secret

1) A German artillery piece captured. (50 prestige)
2) Ancient tunnel found and used to flank the enemy. (50 prestige)

Specials

(all of these become available when the reinforcements arrive)

1x Heavy Bomber
1x Heavy Artillery
2x Recon Aircraft
1x Drop Container (small Supply Depot)

Aux-only scenario. Also, this starts as a night mission - it later changes to dawn (after Main Goal no.1) and daytime (after Main Goal no.2).

First things first, i paused the game and reorganized my forces:

- dropped all infantry from the buildings.
Although providing a large defensive bonus, buildings have a nasty habit of taking your infantry with them when destroyed, also infantry has limited firing angles (and 0 mobility) when inside buildings

- grouped the Flamers together and sent them north of the village

- grouped all MGs and the Sniper together, and sent them to the east.
Also gouped the Mortars together and send them east

- moved the eastern tanks and the AT gun closer together and put Wilson in a 0 XP tank (the tank he starts in has a 2 XP-stars crew, thus i spread XP->damage boni around).
Also moved the Repair Truck here

- grouped the Bazookas into a big pile and sent them east

- before the enemy arrived, the M7 Priests flattened the trees around the town center, to make more space for maneuvering. Then the 2 Spartys were positioned a little east of the flag, i also moved the Ammo Truck here

- in the east, i positioned tanks a little southeast of the main column of houses, with Wilson a bit farther east, MGs/sniper/mortars south and a little behind tanks, and bazookas south of the MG group (there is a road in the south east which leads out of the town).
In the west, i positioned the tanks and AT guns in front of the western most building (thus basically just moving them forward a little)

- there is a Rifles unit on foot (once dropped from the building), and a Rifles unit in a jeep. I sent both straight south (south-central), and then up the southeastern ridge

- finally, i turned off the lights of all vehicles, except Wilson's tank and of the 2 tanks in the west

During the defense of Kasserine (Main Goal no.1) you need to guess when to send the artilleries, repair truck, MG group and bazooka group to the west, and then back east again.

Throughout the scenario the enemy will attack in waves, alternating between east and west. The very first wave arrives from the east.
There are no friendly Medics available yet, thus you will need to babysit your infantry (i ignored the AT guns) to prevent losses. There is a friendly Supply Depot, but it is far away in the north, thus don't depend on it (again: not yet).

In general the tactic was...
Tanks and artillery were set to "passive": since they have armour, they will scare away enemy inf when hitting them. Instead, i babysitted them to attack enemy vehicles, while MGs+sniper (and later +rifles) were babysitted to attack enemy infantry.
I also babysitted the bazookas: at first they were kept in hiding, and then when there was only 1-2 enemy vehicles left i rushed the bazookas into shooting range, attacked once and then retreated them. This cannot be done often (as said, no medics - and the bazookas will get hit eventually).
Once Main Goal no.1 is achieved you gain access to more units (including medics) and will be closer to the supply depot, making the job a little easier.

These tactics were used throughout the scenario (tanks+arty vs tanks, bazookas did "hit and run", other inf vs inf), no matter if defending Kasserine or the base.

In order to get the medal here, all (or at least the majority) of units need to gather XP. I seems that this is based on XP (not on actual XP-stars) collected.
Thus, once more units become available, i phased experienced units out and let inexperienced units do the fighting.
I recommend to sacrifice all flamethrower units once you have a Tiger: flamers gain XP very slowly.
In the end most units (excluding medics and some surviving Rifles/SMG, and maybe 1-2 tanks) had at least 400-500 XP.
It is also necessary to recapture all abandonend units (the AT guns from the start, the artilleries on the southern ridge, the jeeps, i even had to abandon 4 Shermans to prevent their destruction) before retaking the flag of Kasserine - it seems they somehow add to scoring (maybe their Prestige value, at least it doesn't seem to be about "total units" or "lost units" as far as i can tell).

As for the Optional Goal:
while defending Kasserine (during Main Goal no.1), at some point a Tiger (with some escorts) will appear in the east. Select the flamers and order them to attack the Tiger (keeping your other units from shooting at it).
After the crew left the Tiger it will take a while, but not very long, for the Tiger to cool down - then drop a crew from a Sherman and capture the Tiger with it.

As for the Secret Goals:
- sometime during the first part of the scenario (Main Goal no.1) 2 enemy artilleries will appear on the southern ridge. The 2x Rifles we sent here earlier are enough to take their crews out. Then, just capture the guns with your Rifles (completing the goal) and let these guns provide fire support (for XP)
- when you shall retreat to the base (Main Goal no.2), drop your Rifles from the above captured guns and move them southeast: you should easily find a camp fire and, when rotating the map a little so that west is up, a cave entrance. Send the Rifles into the cave (completing the secret goal). They will appear in the far northwest.

https://imgur.com/xqBcaQl
Bronze Star Medal (official name)

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-12-03 21:54, Thursday

5) Headquarters 2

Sold
Flamethrower

Bought
2x US Tank Crew
2x US Medic
2x US Rifles with Magnetic Mines and Dynamite
2x US MG with Binoculars and Mine Detector

Upgraded
UK Tank Crew to Archer
2x US Tank Crew to Archer
Bishop to Valentine
Crusader to Valentine

Remaining Prestige

Core makeup (16 of 25 units)

- tank
4x Archer
2x Valentine

- infantry
4x Medic
2x Rifles with Magnetic Mines and Dynamite
2x MG with Binoculars and Mine Detector

- artillery
none

- support
none

Thoughts
The Archers are a little low on Ammo and Armour, but have a lot of firepower - ideal for tank battles.
The Valentines are a stopgap, honestly - solid medium armour but not much power.
Rifles are good alrounders when it comes to anti-infantry and anti-building duties, and can carry all sorts of attachments. MGs have a lot of firepower in the open field. The attachments are "endgame" considerations, i really just wanted to burn the prestige.

6) Tunis

Main Goals
1) Establish a defensive perimeter on the outskirts of Tunis before the Germans arrive.
2) Destroy at least 50 Axis units and do not let more than 20 enemy units enter the city.
3) Bring Wilson and Barnes to the rendezvous point outside Tunis.
--> 250 prestige total

Optional

1) Neutralize the 88mm Flaks at the Axis radio station to stop the aerial bombardment. (50 prestige)

Secret

1) Only minor Axis forces made it to Tunis. [less than 11 units] (100 prestige)
2) At least one 88mm Flak captured. (50 prestige)

Specials

3 Fighter Bomber strikes
1 Recon Plane scout

First things first:
- enemy units won't stop for fighting, they will try to make it past your lines and reach the city
- big minefields :help

There are 3 roads on the map, 2 run in a V-shaped pattern (i you turn the V by 180°) from north to south. Within this "wedge" is a very large minefield - it doesn't run all the way to where the lines meet, but comes quite close. The third road runs from east to west along the town - south of this road is another minefield.
Long story short: keep your units in the area south of the 2 supply depots, until you could clear some mines from the V to have space for maneuvering.

As for the Main Goals:
- at the beginning there are 2 (actually 3, but lets say 2) groups of enemies on the map, each will block the road about halfway between the starting positions and the depots (each consists of 1 tank, 1 SPAT, some infantry and 3 respectively 4 Paks). Take these out and get to the depots quickly

- position your vehicles and any Pak you could capture close to the supply depots (prior to taking out enemy Flak, see Secret Goals below) respectively between the supply depots (once the flak is taken out - and not straight between the depots, but to the south).
Use infantry (each auxiliary group has some inf with minedetectors) to clear a part of the mines between the V. You could also let vehicles help out, but chances are that the first enemy convoy is on the way. These will arrive from the south, several will try to get through the center (or close to the center) some will try to make it past you east and west of the center. Just realign your units accordingly (in the beginning you have some spotters - after the Flak was taken out just start recon planes over the map center). Once a convoy has been destroyed, just spread your units again between the depots, and no enemy should make it through.
Once reinforcements arrive, just add them your the other units, maybe spread further west and east from the main group

- when all other Main Goals and the Optional+Secret Goals were taken care off, just move Barnes and Wilson to the indicated position on the map (i recommend delaying the last Main Goal, since you might want to use the opportunity and train core infantry at the minefields, and/or respectively train 0 XP-star auxiliary units a little to make sure you get the medal)

Optional Goal:
As said there are actually 3 groups on the map at scenario start: the third is guarding the radar in the northwest. It consists of some infantry and 3x 88mm Flak. You cannot bomb this while the Flaks are still alive - but you will want to deal with this sooner or later, to stop the enemy bombers.
Conveniently, there are 2 auxiliary SParty available. Bring them to the northwest (just until the radar is in gun range), and then order them to force fire (this can be done beyond visual range, so no need to send a spotter here). There are 3 sandbag half-circles just south of the radar. Force fire 2 of them (even without spotting you will see an explosion once a flak gets destroyed). Keep a sniper or 2 MGs near your SPartys, since an enemy bazooka unit will come over.
If you want to achieve all of the Secret Goals, stop after destroying 2 flaks.

Secret Goal:
- Secret no.1 gets achieved when less than 11 enemy vehicles make it to Tunis
- Secret no.2 consists of capturing a flak, thus gather Rifles/MGs/Snipers/Medics/SMGs and sent them to the radar, taking out all the infantry there (keep bazookas and mortars away, they might destroy the flak), then let one of your inf capture the flak (1 is sufficient)

https://imgur.com/0Z6yaRu
Silver Star Medal

Core losses
- 1x Sniper (1 soldier of the unit = unit survived)
- 1x Valentine (the crew survived :phew )

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-12-04 20:19, Friday

7) Operation Husky

Main Goals

1) Bring Barnes to the transformator to mark it as a target for Allied Bombers.
2) Support the landing force by attacking the Axis defenses from behind.
3) Recapture the village.
--> 300 prestige total

Optional

1) Destroy 30 percent of the Italian armor before the landing. (50 prestige)

Secret

1) At least 50 percent of the Italian armor destroyed before the landing. (100 prestige)

Specials

8x Paratroopers

(all of the following become available once once Main Goal no.1 is completed)

5x Paratroopers
10 Carpet Bombers
5x Fighter Bombers
5x Heavy Artillery bombardments
5x Recon Planes

Auxiliary-only again.

I guess the scenario was planned as another Kidney/Kasserine :monster but it is actually more about micromanagement, and keeping the starting units alive long enough to complete the Optional Goal. And maybe not to waste your tanks in suicide attacks after they arrived.

Start by landing all 8 Paras. While waiting for them to land, clear the immedeate surrounding of enemy units. When you see enemy MGs in the west (the 2-star units), retreat to the starting position.
When all the Paras landed, select them all (doubleclick on one) and rightclick on the Grenades and Molotovs (so that the green light is off): you don't want them to auto-throw them around.
Regarding the enemy MGs: they have and will use Molotovs - since they each have only 1, i recommend sacrificing 2 of your Paras.
Once all infantry in the vicinity has been killed, move westwards onto the small/flat hill. There are a total of 5 Paks. Clear the crews with normal attacks, then capture the guns.

On to Main Goal no.1
North and south of the Objective Marker is one tank. You can take them on individually.
Be aware that in the south, you might have to deal with some enemies which come at you from the coast (they are part of the Optional and Secret Goals). This might include infantry, a Semovente 75 and maybe even a sIG 33.
If necessary, use Grenades on vehicles/guns and Molotovs on infantry/guns (once they stopped moving: inf and vehicles are too fast to hit them while moving) - and try to keep 3 of your Paks alive.

After everything has been taken care off, send the surviving guns and infantry (except Barnes) south, so that they are east of the 2 southern-most bunkers.
Let Barnes trigger the first Goal.

After a short while you will receive all the various "special attacks".
Start by sending some recon planes. Drop 1 Fighter Bomber on each of the two northern sIG 33s (3 pieces, but the third is difficult to spot - i overlooked it until after the naval landing :dunno ).
Then use Carpet/Heavy Bombers on the southern and central areas.
Once that's done, throw the Heavy Artillery and remaining Fighter Bombers on survivors (again in the center and south) and eventually both, the Optional and Secret Goals will complete.
There is no point saving the special attacks: all further goals (except the road checkpoint) are covered by 2-5 88mm flaks, which will shred your bombers to pieces (you could try to save up your heavy artillery, but i don't recommend).

I managed to lose all starting units (except Barnes) plus 60% of the second batch of paras here :o
To my excuse: i dropped 4/5 of the second batch of Paras dirtectly among enemy units. The idea was to clear the 2 southern-most bunkers (so that infantry and captured Paks could operate there) and take out more enemies (with Paks and Grenades) for the Secret Goal.
In the end, these losses were (probably) in vain, because focused use of Bombers and Heavy Arty can finish it, as said above (depends on how much you can hit with the various strikes).

When the landing forces arrive, clear survivors on the coast with vehicles (keep your repair trucks, ammo truck and the jeep in the rear, until after infantry cleared the minefields) until the enemy retreats.
Clear the minefields, repair and resupply units, send Barnes into a tank.

Underway to the north, on the central north-south road, is a German checkpoint with some tanks and infantry - its location is pretty obvious when scrolling around the map.
Just overrun it with your numbers.

In the northwest is a supply depot which you might want to capture.
It is guarded by
- south: 2x leFH, a Pak and a Bison
- north: 2x 88mm Flak, a leFH and a Bison
- east: 3x M13/40 tanks
- several infantry (there are also 3 tractors, but these won't hurt)
Send your tanks upwards while keeping your M7 Priests in the valley below.
I sent the tanks in 2 waves (so that they don't block each other) - losing 1 tank and abandoning 2 to prevent destruction.
With the tanks, guns (except 2x flak) and Bisons taken out, i rushed the depot with infantry, while tanks got partially repaired by trucks.
You have some flamers, thus you could try capturing the leFHs and/or Bisons, but this will be tough.
Either way, repair and resupply at the depot, and pick up any vehicle/gun that you abandoned/cleared for capture - if you go for the depot anyway.

South of the depot in the hills there are some suspiciously looking sandbag entrenchments (flaks and paks, with some infantry).
In the eastern mountains is a suspiciously looking radar station (2x flak).
Both locations are only reachable by infantry.
I recommend occupying the infantry with these areas, while tanks and arty go for the village.

As for the city in the northeast, i made probing attacks into it.
Sent some tanks in, let them shoot, retreated them for repairs while sending in another wave.
Rinse and repeat until you can clear the area.
I don't recommend to add your infantry to the attack (*), because there are several buildings with occupying MGs, not to mention the artilleries and flaks and tanks, which will slaughter your inf.
Another reason is the limited space up there - hence i also split the tank forces in two.

(*) i had sent all infantry into the eastern mountains (radar station) and once the western half of the city was cleared, i sent them down the northern path into the back of the city - threw some Grenades and Molotovs on enemy guns and killed some infantry (the guns were the actual target) to prepare everything for the final fight.

https://imgur.com/YCxfOVl
Africa Star (the medal was institued in July '43, thus its award here is historical)

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-12-11 16:45, Friday

8) Crossing the Volturno

Main Goals

1) Occupy the enemy support base on the left island.
2) Neutralize all 88mm Flaks on the middle island.
3) Get to the boat house on the right island.
4) Destroy as many German panzers as possible.
--> 200 prestige total

Optional

1) Secure the German artillery observation bunker. (50 prestige)

Secret

1) At least one 88mm Flak captured to defend your troops from airstrikes. (50 prestige)
2) German general eliminated. (75 prestige)
3) Bunker observer eliminated. (50 prestige)

Specials

none

First: drop the 2 MGs from the jeeps.
Past that, rule of thump is to heal up in between attacks.

Move the whole group west, lure some of the enemies away from the supply depot - by charging 1 unit (rifles) forwards and retreating it shortly after.
Overrun survivors with the mass.

Once captured, the depot will be sporadically hit by enemy Fighter Bomber strikes. 2 hit a little northeast of the depot, 1 east of it, the fourth will strike immedeately adjacent (west) to it.
Their area of effect is not large, thus sticking to the southeast of the depot will keep you safe.
The bombers will stop once 1 or more enemy flaks were captured.

Regarding flaks: just move east from the depot, preferably with the snipers luring enemies away from the flaks. Then again, overrun survivors with mass. Capturing 1 flak suffices to stop enemy bomber strikes.
This will also pull away enemies from the boathouse.
Once those are dealt with just charge the boathouse, there won't many enemies left (i had 0 at the boathouse, but it doesn't hurt to be careful).

I lost an MG, a Medic and the Rifles unit (all as "total losses" ) up till here.

Once the boathouse cutscene played, i sent the MG/sniper/medic with the lowest XP into the boats (you only get the boats as auxiliaries meaning: only 3 inf units may cross the river (*)).
When they landed on the other side of the river, send them straight north. You want them to get to the road. There is an enemy general in a jeep. Once he is taken out, move south again.
When your units are at the hight of the enemy bunker, move them west. Leave your medic and sniper at the treeline while the third inf runs to the bunker (sacrifice an MG or Rifles unit). Snipers will kill the enemy inf which automatically spawns adjacent (north) to the bunker.
Other than taking out the spawned inf, there is no special action needed to complete the Optional Goal.

(*) actually: i was too lazy to find out if you can sneak over the crossable ford (map center), since there is no tactical advantage to be gained by sending your inf past the river (except the 2 Optional/Secret Goals)

Sidenote:
killing the enemy general is optional - i managed to get the medal without killing him :dunno

Once that was done, i
- retreated all inf to the flaks
- manned the flaks with inf (any, except snipers/medics) and repaired them
- made 2 lines of tanks at the ford (so that attack range of flaks+tanks was overlapping)
- put Wilson into a tank (IIRC one of those auxiliary Firefly, which are actually just regular M4 Shermans. This problem only affects auxiliary units, not the ones you can buy)

Past that, i sent a lonesome tank north to lure the enemy tanks to this trap. Repeated until the final battle occured.
Once enough enemy tanks get destroyed the enemy will retreat, and after a short while the last primary obejctive will complete.

https://imgur.com/QDQwjRN
Distinguished Service Medal

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-12-15 12:57, Tuesday

9) Headquarters 3

Sold
Magnetic Mines of both Rifles

Upgraded
2x Archer to M7 Priest (crews with the highest XP)
Valentine to M3 Grant
Tank Crew to M3 Grant (the survivors of Val no.2, which got destroyed late during Tunis)

Bought
2x US Tank Crew
2x Repair Truck
Ammo Truck
2x US Sniper with Binoculars
2x US Flamethrower

Remaining Prestige

Core makeup (25 of 25 units)

- tank
2x Archer
2x Grant
2x Tank Crew

- infantry
4x Medic
2x Rifles with Explosives
2x MG with Binoculars and Mine Detector
4x Sniper with Binoculars
2x Flamer

- artillery
2x M7 Priest

- support
2x Repair Truck
Ammo Truck

Alternatively
I considered selling the Rifles and get 2 tractors instead.
These units didn't gather much XP yet and with more snipers, i wouldn't need that much foot soldiers. The tractors on the other hand could be towing guns: there are leFH and 88mm flaks waiting for capture.

Thoughts

- SPartys can always help with tricky stuff (88mm flak, inf concentrations...enemy snipers hidden in buildings), however i don't let them fire at will. Instead i babysit them (due to the delay between "arty attacks" and "arty's attack connects" ) in short: they will grow XP slower than tanks, thus the crews with the highest XP get them

- the Archers have lots of firepower, the Grants have lots of armour and ammo - good match.
XP-wise, the Grants have 2nd most-experienced crews, the Archers the low-experienced crews (not the "least" experienced crews: those will be put into captured vehicles). This should give a more streamlined XP-growth.

- Flamers and Crews, because Cassino is a good place trying to capture some german tanks

- 4x Sniper is a little overkill (2 snipers are enough to deal with enemy tank crews and (most) towed gun encounters, while 2 snipers + 2 MGs are often enough to deal with enemy inf concentrations), but since i had nothing else to spend my money on, and because the UK snipers were close to the XP cap anyway, i thought i could raise 2 new units, just in case i would split my core into 2 groups at some point and then need the Anti-Inf firepower for both groups

10) Monte Cassino

Main Goals

1) Capture all German checkpoints.
2) Barnes and Wilson must get to the hilltop on foot to get a clear view on Axis positions.
3) Launch a counter-attack and recapture your lost checkpoints.
--> 250 prestige total

Optional

none

Secret

1) Watchtower near the path captured. (50 prestige)
2) Rail bridge used. (75 prestige)

Specials

5 Paratroopers

Forget the paratroopers. There is not enough enemy infantry (neither in occupied buildings, nor on the outside) to rectify their use - and probably not enough enemies to let them grow enough XP to gain the "Excellent" score.

Micromanagement:

- set the SPartys to "passive" (as explained above)

- set the 2x British snipers to passive (they have lots of XP, thus as long as their firepower isn't needed i try training the green US snipers)

- i also organized infantry into several groups, according to their jobs

- set Barnes and Wilson, respectively their tanks, to passive (their firepower isn't needed yet)

- turned off the lights of all vehicles (yep, night mission again, though the sun rises very early in the scenario)

Straight west of the starting position is the first objective.
There is a forest north of that, hiding in the forest's center are 3x leFH (and an ammo truck), which can cause a lot of headache if not taken care off. I sent the 4 snipers (with the UK units as spotters) a little north of the starting position and then west over the river to take out the guns crews.

With the guns taken out, the snipers acted as spotters on the first objective.
Since luring is the safest method of dealing with enemy units, i let SPartys shoot once - confusingly, only 1 enemy vehicle rushed out :dunno
Once the 2 Panthers were gone i let snipers deal with the sqare-shaped sandbag bunkers.
Meanwhile, the auxiliary mortar unit fought a heroic battle against the enemy ammo truck mentioned earlier.
Once i was sure there were no more enemies, i sent the flamers, medics and a tank crew out to capture the last enemy vehicle (see below after capture no.2).

I then went south towards the trainstation. Underway you can lure 3 tanks away, making the actual battle for the trainstation much easier.
What's left around the train station is 2x mortar and 2x SMG (2-3 XP-stars each), a Tiger and a Panzerwerfer "Maultier" SParty.
Each of the 2 is worth capturing - however the Tiger offers the armour and ammo needed for the second half of the scenario. I took the Tiger, thus now also revealing the other captured vehicle:
https://imgur.com/wG3CKSx

I left the snipers and 2x medics behind at the station. Onwards to the town.
There are some tanks in the north (Panzer III and StuG) and west (2x Panther) of the town, otherwise, the town is weakly defended regarding occupied buildings:
- in the north, close to the factory/garage/workshop is 1x MG
- in the northeast is 1x bazooka
Since your infantry doesn't need to get close to the MG and your vehicles don't need to get close to the bazooka, they can be ignored (not worth any XP anyway).
Almost not worth mentioning: there is also some infantry on streets, but you will come across all of them with the suggested path.
The only difficulty lies in the west of the town: around the central objective marker you will find a 88mm flak and a Maultier, which can cause troubles if not taken care of from distance (with arty) or quickly in melee.
And you might get shelled by enemy artillery: there is a path leading into the mountains, where 2 guns are hiding. They cannot move, thus ignore them for the moment.

Thus, from the road checkpoint we cleared at scenario start: vehicles went west (clrearing a path for infantry - i also dropped Barnes and Wilson from their tanks) and then turned back again to then move north.
Once the path was free: Barnes, Wilson, Rifles, MGs, flamers and 2x medics (and if you didn't lose them: the aux mortar) went up the path to take care of the 2x artillery up there in the mountains. I left this inf group hiding up there, so that they wouldn't stand in the way of :sh enemy tanks and SPartys later - also, the second Main Objective will appear here, and it requires Barnes+Wilson for completion.
With the tanks in the north, they took care of the lone Pz III and StuG - this was one of the rare occasions that i used the vehicle's MGs to get rid of enemy infantry: put the tanks to passive, move them near enemy inf (it won't run away, we're all friends after all, aren't we :angel ), turn the tanks so they all face a single inf, and then set them back to "defensive". Sitting so close to enemy inf means the vehicle MGs are in range and will deal with it.
Rinse and repeat if there are multiple inf.
(IMO this is slower than letting snipers/MGs/rifles deal with enemy inf - not to mention waste of ammo, XP and time - but if everything else fails :dunno )

With that taken care off, tanks and SPartys took the supply depot to the northwest of the town (2x Panther, 2x 88mm flak) - damaged tanks retreated to the rear.
Once captured, all vehicles hugged the supply depot for rest and refit.

Finally, back to the sniper group.
The train got captured (automatically, no need to let an inf unit enter it). Drove the train out of the way (it is blocking the bridge). The sniper group then crossed this rail bridge on foot (Secret Goal) to get to the southwestern objective, guarded by 2 infantries.

A new Main Goal will trigger: send Barnes and Wilson up the mountain.
There will be a lonesome enemy inf up there.
Meanwhile, this is also the opportunity to finish the last Secret Goal: let an inf unit (any will do, even medics) follow Barnes+Wilson. Near the end of the road, before the final curve/turn, you will find a sand path leading down the mountains - it quickly splits: east to the supply depot, west to a suspciously looking (however completely unprotected) observation tower. Let the inf occupy it (Secret Goal no.1 - and of course you could also just use Barnes/Wilson, or respectively let a tank crew jump out and send it up there while the other vehicles are still getting refitted). It doesn't provide any tactical advantage.

Meanwhile and before Barnes+Wilson reached the objective marker, i sent all vehicles and the sniper group all the way back to the original starting position of the scenario. I find it more convenient (*) to "restart" from there.
Only when all units (except the "mountain infantry", as mentioned) had returned i completed Main Goal no.2.

A lot of enemy vehicles (from Pz IV F2 over Panther to Tiger, even 2x Maultier) will appear and retake all of the flags. Thus you're job is to take all of them a second time.
I started at the trainstation, then went north to the eastern road checkpoint, next i headed west for the town flag, continued north to the supply depot for repairs, finally all the way down to the last flag in the southwest (Tiger and Maultier).

(*) the supply depot will have the weakest defenses on the second time through, thus if you first take out the heavier targets you can then refit at the depot in between the early and the final tasks, instead of running back and forth between the action and the depot.

https://imgur.com/9A8iwcQ
Distinguished Service Order (the Cross has a different ribbon and looks differently)

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-12-16 21:37, Wednesday

11) Headquarters 4

Sold
2x Flamer
2x Medic
2x MG
Explosives of both Rifles

Upgraded
2x Grant to Pershing (for free)
2x M7 Priest to Pershing
2x Tank Crew to M7

Downgraded
2x Archer to M7

Bought
Ammo Truck
Repair Truck
Binoculars and Mine Detectors for both Rifles

Remaining Prestige

Core makeup (21 of 25 units)

- tank
4x Pershing

- artillery
4x M7 Priest

- infantry
2x Medic
2x Rifles with Binoculars and Mine Detector
4x Sniper with Binoculars

- support
2x Ammo Truck
3x Repair Truck

Thoughts
I switched the M7 SParty crews around, since they have lots of power on their own, but shoot slowly. The tanks shoot faster, thus i put the high-XP crews (with their damage bonus) into the tanks because i wanted this higher "damage per second".
You receive lots of auxiliary infantry, thus no need to have too much core infantry (in retrospective, and considering i had the prestige, i should have kept 1x MG and sold 1x Rifles instead, but whatever). However, none of those auxes come with attachments - Binoculars are always useful, and Anzio features enemy AT-Mines, thus Mine Detectors are (semi-)useful too ( "semi" because the mines are in a position your vehicles not need to pass through).

Not much to say, the core is now streamlined for all tasks of the final scenario.

Otherwise, i was and still am angry with myself for my unit selection: the first campaign scenario reminded me of the large amount of enemy armour the player will encounter, thus i panicked and bought too many vehicles - instead of, example, bazooka infantry - and now i just wanted to quickly end the campaign :o

12) Anzio-Cisterna

Main Goals

1) Capture the railway station.
2) Capture K5 railway gun 'Anzio Annie'.
3) Secure the town center.
4) Keep the town center secured.
5) Using 'Anzio Annie' to repulse the German counter-attack will make your job much easier.
--> 350 prestige total

Optional

1) Take the railway station before the train leaves (6AM). (50 prestige)

Secret

1) Train used to reach 'Anzio Annie'. (50 prestige)

Specials

5 Carpet Bombers
3 Fighter Bombers
2 Heavy Artillery bombardments
3 Recon Planes

(all of these become avalable once the town center is secured)

10 Recon Planes

First things first, i paused the game (1 of the Goals is time sensitive) and put the M7s to "passive", so they don't shoot before i'm ready to attack. After putting units into groups i moved everything west until i saw enemies, then sorted all units prior to attack (vehicles down to the map border with tanks and repair trucks first, then artys, then ammo trucks - infantry north of the vehicles so they don't stand in the way).

The early battle is quite intense.
In the west, underway to the trainstation, you meet a large group of 2 Panthers, several Pz IV F2s, 2 Marders and a Maultier. If you are too adventurous, you will get struck by another group of 2x Maultier and 2x Pz IV from the north (they also have several Mortars) - you will need to deal with them anyway, but you want to split the battle into 2 phases, thus luring the Panther group first by shooting arty from a distance is key.

Once everything was taken out and own mildly repaired (no time for full repairs), i continued to the trainstation proper. There you will encounter 3 Tigers, several SPATs (mix of StuGs and Marders), 3 guns and infantry - though these are stretched out a lot, so that you can effectively split the battle into several stages.
Infantry went down to the map border where most infantry can be found (or rather "easier reached" ) while tanks (and artys) pushed forward along the road.

After the trainstation was captured i finally started with full repairs, while infantry chased remaining enemy tank crews.
Meanwhile, with the trainstation captured, the first batch of reinforcements arrived (a Humber recon car :crazy Firefly, Grant and a wild mix of infantry).
Since the 2 starting aux tanks had gathered enough XP, i phased them out and added new tanks to the battle group.

Along the trainstation a train was captured and can help moving around infantry quickly (and completing the Secret Goal). Each waggon can carry 2 units.
I took the 2x core Rifles, and all auxes (2x Rifles, SMG, Bazooka and Medic), and sent them all on their way to capture "Anzio Annie" railway gun (280mm K5).
I later called the train back and sent the 2 most-experienced snipers over there as well.

Remaining infantry (all core: 2x Sniper 2x Medic) acted as spotters and backup for tanks.

I mentioned mines. They are lying in the southeast, from the southeastern corner of the city north to the first grey road and east to the river :dunno

The town itself. Vehicles can drive through some of the outskirts, but cannot pass through the numerous obstacles: the city center is infantry-only area.
Adding the outskirts and center, there are over 20 (between 24 and 26 i think) occupied buildings - roughly 50% are occupied by bazookas (and a good deal of those are in the *drumbeat* town center :crazy ), the others are a mix of Rifles, SMGs and MGs...and of course 1 Sniper.
On the streets are more of the above (except: there is no other sniper :phew ) as well as Mortars.
As for the sniper, it is sitting in the "Restaurante" labeled building directly west of the supply depot (the label is visible if you rotate the map so that west is up).
The safest entry point (meaning "the fewest MGs" ) is in the northeast, from the bridge between "Anzio Annie" and the town. The tricky thing is: there is a Panther and a Pz IV. Save up and drop 2 Fighter Bombers on them, then mop up the rest with the aux bazooka from earlier.

While the infantry was dealing with "Anzio Annie" and the river crossing, i sent a Recon Plane to the supsiciously looking supply depot in the northwest. Once spotted, i let 2 Carpet Bombers follow to take out the concentration of leFHs and Maultiere. Survivors were later taken out by tanks and snipers.
On their way north, the tank-sniper group also took care of enemy vehicles on the western side of the town.
Once the depot was captured, i let the group get refitted.

Also meanwhile, the aux tanks dealt with a Panther and Wespe at the southern edge of the town (the Wespe was the main target). They later returned to the main group.

Southwest of the supply depot, through the golden/yellow field, the enemy counter attack will arrive. The units go in east-southeastern direction from said golden field to the next golden field.
Thus once ready, i positioned my units east of the rail road, with tanks up front, repair trucks behind, artillery in column three (ammo trucks and the Humber were left behind at the trainstation in the south, so that they don't get destroyed).

Finally, i had to think a way around the enemy sniper.
Usually i have a higher standard regarding my "virtual conduct of honour" (at least when playing as the Allies respectively the good guys), but as said i just wanted to finish the campaign, thus i sent a Fighter Bomber and a Carpet Bomber on the Ristorante to blow the sniper to smithereens, followed up by a Heavy Artillery on the depot to clear the place and, since i saw the indicator for "infantry running under the Fog of War", waited a little and fired the second Heavy Arty as well :o :o

Next, my infantry group ran into the town and took over the depot with little trouble. This immedeately triggered the enemy counter attack (and more reinforcements: a tank and tons of infantry - a little late, methinks). I dropped the tank crew from its vehicle, selected all new inf and ordered them to attack near the depot (this makes them move towards the clicked point as if using a normal move order, however they will stop to attack enemies underway).

Meanwhile, the tank group had troubles dealing with the enemy counter attack: instead of fighting (and they had the power to do so - with Tigers, Jagdpanthers, StuGs, Pz IV F2s and other stuff), the enemy vehicles were driving around like headless chickens.
Whatever, my tanks could deal with it anyway :)

https://imgur.com/DY7Nd4f
Italy Star

Fixes and additions to the Unit Discussions as well as the campaign aftermath follow tomorrow.

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Lets Play "Codename: Panzers Phase 2", all Allied medals (no videos) ~~ DONE

Post by mythos » 2020-12-17 14:09, Thursday

Fixes, Additions and Campaign Aftermath

Guns and Vehicles Discussion
General info added:

All vehicles have lights. These can be turned on and off during night scenarios.
If off, units have 25% sight range penalty.
If on, the penalty is removed, but units can be seen from farther away (there will be a "lights on" icon in the Fog of War). Doesn't seem to affect the AI in any way (example, it won't come chasing/investigating if you turn lights on).

All units can be set to

Fixed a couple smaller typos (example Willis -> Willys Jeep).

Fixed logical typo:
this discussion specifically deals with CPP2 units. In particular with those available during campaign play.
Should be "purchasable". Example, at Kasserine you can capture 150mm sFH18 - a unit which cannot even be purchased during skirmish/multiplayer. It has more range than any purchasable artillery, but since you cannot count on having it, it is ignored for assessing the usefulness of purchasable units.

Vehicles

- M2A1 Truck
forget about the MG: [..] the MG's firing angle is too narrow.
Actually, the MG (a turret MG) can rotate 360°, making the Allied M2A1 more useful than the German SdKfz 250.

- M3A1 Grant
In reality, the Grant had a 37mm gun in addition to the MG in the turret, this was left out in the game.
Actually, instead of the 37mm gun there is a large caliber MG - just its stats aren't listed, and i almost never use tanks for Anti-Inf duties, thus i wasn't aware of its existence.

Infantry and Attachments Discussion
renamed:

Code: Select all

Infantry and Attachments Discussion, Effects of Experience

General info added:

All units can be set to

Attacks against an infantry unit randomly spread along the soldiers in the unit. It can still happen that the same soldier gets hit multiple times (example, a unit of 2 Rifles attacks another infantry, the 2 Rifles could roll the same soldier as target), but on average the attacks will be divided evenly among the soldiers of a unit.
Because of this, the more soldiers in a unit, the higher its survivability is.

Damage types:
- Fire = [..] it heats the vehicle/gun. At a certain point, the crew will abandon the vehicle/gun, making it possible to capture it. [..]

Please note: tractors and trucks (examle Opel Blitz, GAZ Ammo Truck or M2 Repair Truck) cannot be captured, since the driver is an integral part of the unit.

Fixed a couple smaller typos.

Infantry

- SMG
they even have higher Health per soldier than most other inf units.
+25, to be specific.
I have mixed feelings about SMGs
In a mixed group with MGs (and/or Rifles) and Medics they actually make solid frontliners, in addition to their role as bunker busters

- Flamethrower
[..] They have much higher Health per soldier than all other inf units.
+80, to be specific.

- Mortar
Their biggest downside is the slow speed of projectiles, making them inaccurate at times
[against moving targets] was missing.

- Bazooka
Their projectiles ignore the armour of armoured vehicles and instead directly strike their Health.
It is an okay choice, but if you are struggling with the unit cap, ignore these
High-risk-high-reward style units

- Paratroopers
* Damage:
4,5 Bullet, to be specific
They come for free and specials don't stack between scenarios, so why not use them "now" ?
It can be difficult to grow their XP, thus making an "Excellent" score (for the scenario's medal) difficult - use them at your own discretion

Attachments

General info aded:

Grenades and Molotovs add to a unit's XP, if a target is successfully hit.
Magnetic Mines, Dynamite/Explosives and AT-Mines do not.

- Magnetic Mines/Dynamite
A last resort option, maybe even a combat tactic
requires too much work for convenient tactics

- Mine Detector
Usually (i don't remember if always) you will receive auxiliary infantry with Mine Detectors when necessary.
Usually (but not always)

New:
Effects of Experience
Added at the end of the Infantry and Attachments Discussion - please read there.

Campaign Aftermath

Campaign core losses

1x Flamethrower
1x Valentine (the crew survived)
2x Sniper (1 soldier each of 2 different units = both units survived)
7x Rifles (1 complete unit lost, another decimated)
1x M7 Priest
4x Tank Crew (toghether with the M7)
this list might be incomplete with regards to infantry losses: Anzio became messy towards the end and ended abruptly

Conclusion

The campaign offers a good mix of offensive and defensive, easy/median/hard scenarios, as well as a mix of goals.
The Secret Goals are sometimes :doh but still within limits of sanity. Ugly is the larger presence of enemy snipers compared to the Axis campaign - but this is just personal preference.
IMO not the best campaign (3 aux-only scenarios in an 8 scenario campaign are a no go. 1 aux-only scenario is already too much for my taste), but i had my fun - even with the, as mentioned, wrong unit selection.

What i dislike about the game is:

1) the 25 unit cap. If you somehow spend all prestige with a unit mix of up to 25 units, okay, but if you want to play with cheaper units (like including more infantry), you start swimming in prestige - and at some point lack power due to not fielding enough units (i.e. 2x Mortars = 1x regimental field gun (25 Pounder, leFH 18) and 4x Mortars = 1x heavy gun (sIG 33, OBL 5-inch)).
The campaigns are short anyway, so either increasing the cap a little in the second half of the campaign or actually a bigger cap to begin with, would have been preferable

2) micromanagement around artillery. A towed gun is at least 2 units (the gun and its crew - in comparison, a tank or SParty (which is the vehicle and its crew) counts as 1 unit), potentially 1x Repair Truck and 1x Ammo Truck (although these can supply multiple units) and if you want to be remotely "fast" in moving the gun around the map, then you need a third unit, the tractor.
That, the unit cap and the inaccuracy of artillery (if the target was moving then alot of times they only deal minor splash damage or no damage at all) really detracts from their potential

3) infantry cannot be upgraded to a different model (well, Tank Crews can, but only to tanks, SPATs, SPartys)

4) the squishiness of infantry, and that Mortars and Bazookas arrive very late

5) infantry attachments are so-so. Binoculars and Mine Detectors are great.
Sometimes you might find a use for Grenades/Magnetic Mines/Dynamite - but you can also live without them.
AT-Mines are difficult to use, because of the time factor needed to lay them, and of course you not always know from where a counter attack arrives.
Molotovs are useful.
The trickery is, that not even supply depots refill consumables during a scenario, so that you probably save those up for the right moment and then complete the scenraio without having used them

What i liked is the many options you have at hand:

1) buildings and bunkers can protect your infantry during combat and allows both sides to do some nasty surprises

2) using Snipers to clear enemy towed guns and then manning these with own infantry can add serious firepower (despite my whining above...yes, i'm a hypocrite :angel )

3) tanks, in front of infantry, adds some realism: your infantry may have "bodyguards" (as seen in documentaries and movies/series)

4) flanking enemy vehicles, to get to their weaker side and rear armours

5) artillery (Mortars, actual artillery units, Handgrenades) hits the roof armour of vehicles, which seems to be a weakspot

6) using flames to burn enemy Tank Crews out of their vehicles and then taking these for yourself. Just watch not to put too much "fire" on the vehicle, else it explodes anyway

x) and surely more which i have forgotten

Also, contrary to other realtime strategy games, "Codename: Panzers Phase 2" (and 1) is rather slow-paced.
And instead of "just get 100 of the strongest unit" you need some variation in troop mix, otherwise you endlessly chase infantry around (if using only tanks) or get slaughtered by enemy tanks and artillery (if having no means to deal with these units - and if having no Repair Trucks and Medics), etc.

Overall, i like :twink

Now with the 2 biggies out of the way i will very possibly also do an "all Partizan medals" soon.