[Let's Play] Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

REDrake
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

[Let's Play] Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

Post by REDrake » 2021-02-01 19:06, Monday

All right, while I was forced to stay in-doors due to chinese bio invasion, I acquired from GOG a bundle of Close Combat games. Both old ones and remakes.

For now no photos. If anyone can suggest a site that allows me to upload photos and then embed them here it would be awesome...

While starting with CC 1 or 2 would make more sense, CC3 is a long favorite game. It is basically PG2 in real time.
Atomic games took a page from SSI by inserting the idea of prestige points to buy equipment, if available.

I started Grand Campaign with Germans on Veteran difficulty. No time setting, as I like to actually play a scenario without rushing across the map...

Before the first battle the pp allowed me to buy a Pz IVD, upgrade the commander (Redrake) to a threesome leader unit, 2 schutzen 1941, 1 M34 HMG. I also took notice of the expensive for now SdKfz 250/16 Wurfrahmen support unit. In the future that is a must. It fires only 6 rockets each battle, it has poor accuracy, but if it hits something that thing is dead. It can even kill 2 tanks with one rocket if they are too close to one another.

First battle was a blast. Pz IVD advanced across the river without opposition and one soviet reservists unit actually surrendered almost without casualties. Soviets retreated.
Second map led me to buy a Pz IID, an 8cm mortar, another MG34 HMG and a 5cm Pak. Wurfrahmen was still too expensive.
Second battle was a bit harder, as I quickly noticed Soviets trying to outflank me with sneaky infantry. I sent Pz IVD to deal with them. None surrendered, all got killed. Unfortunately this also meant that Pz IID led the advance up the hill and it was exposed to attack from ruskies with PTRDs (anti tank rifles). It was immobilized and this meant that infantry made further advances. Once I put a HMG at the top of the hill Soviets in thr corn field began to die. They retreated soon after (thet actually asked for a truce first, but I ignored it...

Next battle for Lvov...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: [Let's Play] Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

Post by Ale » 2021-02-01 20:06, Monday

I use imgbox.com myself, as seen from my posts, but as good as any with ups and downs and things i dislike... wasn't much versed with pic sharing sites, that was first free i run into, so just one option...

solid games, but.... not my subject? :lol have fun

Hoffman
Private
Private

Post by Hoffman » 2021-04-05 21:05, Monday

Not sure if you know this or are new to the close combat series but check out www.closecombatseries.net
Modding site like pgforever but dedicated obviously to close combat. Specifically are the mods for the aforementioned close combat russian front .
If your just discovering these games man your in for a real treat ! However they play more like squad leader in real time then PG .
Also the Combat Mission series is no chump war game either . Happy gaming !!!
Hoffman

REDrake
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by REDrake » 2021-04-13 19:19, Tuesday

Yes I know about it. I registered there a long time ago.

And no, I am not just discovering the games. I played CC3 in 2000 and still have it on the original disk. I also used to have CC5 until 2005 when it blew up in my cd-rom.
I also got some of the remakes, but I have yet to try them out

Hoffman
Private
Private

Post by Hoffman » 2021-04-18 16:13, Sunday

Remakes are all very well done . Havent tried the bloody first ( using 3d engine ), but huge fan of this series . highly recommend ww1 mod for cc3 and schelt mod for cc5.

Keighleyred
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Keighleyred » 2021-04-18 17:35, Sunday

have the original microsoft version for window 98

only played twice ??

REDrake
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by REDrake » 2021-04-20 05:54, Tuesday

Hoffman wrote:
2021-04-18 16:13, Sunday
Remakes are all very well done . Havent tried the bloody first ( using 3d engine ), but huge fan of this series . highly recommend ww1 mod for cc3 and schelt mod for cc5.
I tried bloody first. Definitely not on par with the previous ones. For one, it has only a campaign with americans, not with germans.
And secondly, the 3D part is very annoying. At this point a nuissance as traditional CC games do not need the poorly made 3D part.

In the mean time I tried the Cross of Iron (remake of CC3). Is good, but something is missing. The Wurfrahmen for germans... Other than that it is rather annoying how efficient russians with anti-tank rifles are now... They can even disable Pz IVs.

They also added self-propelled arty like Wespe, but forgot to add indirect fire. They need to move to have a clear line of sight, but their very poor armor means even a russian with rifle can hurt them. Let alone mortars who will always focus on them.

Hoffman
Private
Private

Post by Hoffman » 2021-05-30 19:02, Sunday

Something about the originals has that classic charm. The improved A I and rules in the remakes is also equally as great.
First wold problems i suppose. I thought it might be me but some of the rules for certain units are definitely different like you say.
Happy gaming Lt. !!!