about other games as reviews/playtries/comments etc.

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

about other games as reviews/playtries/comments etc.

Post by Ale » 2022-10-30 21:36, Sunday

...another thread (last) in same manner i had before - history, politics, sport, women, cultural interaction days and talks are over :) - about other games intended as short reviews, or playtries (my word) for forum content ;

for start something lighter and positive, one tower defense. Mostly TBG lover myself, but don't mind something else sometimes. Recently don't have much time for greater titles, even loved wargames, but maybe there will be some if i try and feel like later in that as well... anyway, recently finished this TD Cursed Treasure 2 Ultimate edition and had some unserious fun and just few frustrations and needed reloads. Know the title from some idle days with online flash games, so i was glad it "evolved" and one can even get it (if wish so)) for a price of 2 hamburgers (for example) in Serbia (example). Loved original flash game, albeit different art style and loved this one with "cuter" style but nice for eye and, as said, lovely... took me about week or two to finish it through 27 missions, while i tried just some "night missions" which it offers, but once you upgrade your towers and skills through main missions it becomes easy, of course... night missions are mostly same but with limited deployment i.e. sort of "fog of war" but you can expand visible and buildable area by building around etc.

as mentioned classic TD genre playstyle, with progression depending on skill points you distribute to make your powers and towers stronger. Beside that only 3 types of towers but upgradable on few levels so it can vary... also given type of tower can be built only on coresponding type of ground and sometimes you have to cut forsests and similar to make ground for towers, so you have to decide where to invest resources... talking resources you have 2 in game - gold for towers and else and magic mana for spells (sometimes crucial for success) and for unlocking i.e. attacking enemy buldings. Strategicaly you have few choices although games is "miniaturistic" simple and i'd say cute in style... On enemies I experienced, after finishing it, enough of variety and few strong bosses, esp last ones I had to reload mission few times to kill them finally etc etc. Some even fly over water or lava ; but generally (i think) all 3 towers attack them and also, flying or even going "submarine" is rare and most are ground enemies...

short review as said for thread start (hope there will be more content as play something with satisfaction or not) but generally positive mention, simple game i was glad to try in this new form after coincidentally rememebring it from flash sites (don't tell anyone i visited them while bored before) and positive experience, plus 2 meals price :yes yes it is short and "childish" but liked it this way for (say) 45 mins of relaxing when had time... too bad i heard that it is last one from series as developers (from Russia i think but unimportant from where) said that sequel III is cancelled and it is "end of story". really nice one as something simple but nice for eye and relaxing... frustrations rare, like last gem you protect is stolen by enemy that could have been killed with one more shot :) likable generally in many ways and as said recommended for every age, depends of time and how you feel ; welcome to forum as well, we need content as long as pub is there...

my map after main missions completed. not all missions were perfect and I finished some with just one saved gem, some with all 3 - indicated with number of red stars below mission number, btw

and one "battle screenshot" ) random, but shows that i prefered the most so called demon towers and always tried to build them on strategic locations, high grounds (provided sometimes for damage bonus) and give them upgrade priority... until next posts, have fun

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: about other games as reviews/playtries/comments etc.

Post by Ale » 2022-10-31 13:31, Monday

...intentionally mentioned price above - something i will not do further - because seen "a lot" of Americans, easy to conclude that as they mention $$ i.e. dollars in their comments, complain about it while it is really small, esp. for a country that is prime example (maybe) worldwide of "consumer society" and sometimes irrational wasting of same dollars on various things :) ...while i support consumers complaining, good thing to keep "aware society" as well, somehow funny coming from there, could understand more of it from some other place ; ...also i don't care if you buying games or not, growing up in Serbia in the 90s, it was often hard to impossible to get legal titles back then, so even some "small piracy" is understandable somewhere in "third world" and i don't look to harsh on it... small digression, i can only imagine how it would look like if you couldn't get some titles online like today - i would probably never go out to get some game on phiysical copy (legit or not one) like i did it many times in the 90s :)

anyway - while on "cute one subjects" I'll also add one, actually 2 indeed, titles I play now in some moments - Warriors of the Nile 1 & 2. Individual game runs take short, did not progress much but love it and while some games like Into the breach take a lot of credit and are mentioned on almost every "best of TBS" lists (probably deservedly, if people like i still have to try it) those one are similar yet different and maybe less puzzle like and "easier"... it is in a way "minimalistic chess" as where you place your given pieces on small board matters. You get 3 characters, heroes, one "tank" and 2 with ranged attacks you can make even more powerful later - with which you progress through increasing difficulty levels of similar battles with stronger enemies. Your every character has unique skills but they groe in strength through your run as you get some upgrades after every battle, plus some gear i.e. equipment... So far, as said, did not made huge progress and in first title made it only to mission 12 so far as best, while second game is much "richer" and was able to make it further but dying constantly... Of course as is rule in those type of games - not sure in which category to put it really - even after unsucessful run you get some points and can make some upgrades to make it easier in future ones... as said sessions are ususally short - depends on your skills ; - and how you upgrade and how lucky are you with after battle rewards will determinate a lot in every run... no idea where it ends, but think i'm still far from it :)

cute, challenging and recommended for those short with time as well as first one. this time - doesn't matter - think we are talking about some far Asian developers (think Korean as I noticed some letters) and my thunbs up for this one... some upgrades are really good but i'm the one who let some characters die constantly and then you have to spend resources on revival, instead of upgrades so i haven't progressed much... second part is as said "richer" more options, you chose battles yourself and more special moves... generally both are fun and i like to try and look what kind of upgrades i ran into, drastically changing every run, so one of those simplistic, minimalistic, but never ending games really;

finally and as humor, no idea why would east Asian, maybe Korean as i guessed, developers would insist on ancient Egypt themes for the game, with such rich culture and history of theirs... one would understand US developers taking subjects from other countries - because they do not have culture and history of their own :lol but maybe not Korean or Japanese ; ... but that is generally usual thing and that's why there are tons of Japanese games (example) with "valkyrie" and "walhalla" in their names :) ... people are onsessed with Vikings, Nordics, safe to say :) ... even closer to us and "our games" it is interesting that Japanese started and inspired whole PG series with their games in which Hitler appears :lol .... so, if Serbian developers make games in future - hope they use domestic themes as cool enough globally like our vampires, black knights or HIM Dule's empire for global domination strategy once :) ...even king Milan and his almost spread to Hawaii is good enough for more modern thematics game :)

one screen from first title, just how it looks like

and one screen from a sequel, Nile 2, and it shows that i managed to unlock one extra character so far ; ...recommend for fast fun, have it until & do join some future title and post of mine, probably more serious titles but those 2-3 are fun indeed for all ages and there is "brain challenge" in them...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-10-31 22:47, Monday

pardon, pardon - it is Chinese ;) ...well i know to recognize Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai and i was sure i've seen some quasi "letters" (because that is word for our western characters) in game that i was sure were distinctively Korean, with some small floating "o" around, not present in Chinese... unforgivable mistake for an expert like me :) and no special reason i excluded China except that

of course China is our friend and we know a lot about it and of course they are very productive and talented in gaming sector as well, so pardon again :) (not to mention that we are taking Uranus for them) Chinese made indeed, they say, again was sure i saw Korean letters somwhere but who knows where i seen it and mixed it up in head - maybe some k-pop song :) ... third pardon for our friend and have fun until some next title once

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-12-05 21:25, Monday

...so after having them for long time, finally decided to try one of UFO games - basically X-coms just in quasi real time released in early 2000s. not my style nor preference really, i'm turn based man... but game pauses after every action in combat and is generally "controllable" but didn't get far myself anyway to really feel it. Tried for quasi review the middle one, UFO Aftershock without any reason, just installed it first ; and will only try few battles here and give my grade/impression of game, full playtry would be impossible as game could take years to finish one camp ; btw, experience some lags and problems with game on newer OS but is playable just i play it in window if it freezes or something... it is usual thing with most older games, we all know that and sometimes compatibilty modes must be tweaked etc. but working nice

in every way for me, vet of x-coms and xenonauts etc. similar, well known gameplay and style, with realtime and diplomacy and minor things that differ, so every game of the same has own flavor, that's enjoyable part of it (and keep them coming)). Maybe lately feel more like i'd defect to aliens rather :) but nonetheless still killing them in known manner... you start with floating orbital base and squad of 4 soldiers without some exp... you put equipment on them, few you got on start and ready them for fight, squad can have max 5 soldires, but start with 4. Betty is central figure and will try to make her elite ; lots of stats as usual which i guess will develop with gained exp and allow specialization. For now she just has big gun in both hands, knife (!) on belt. below are other troops, white guy, black and asian guy ;

first mission is to attack some place controlled by aliens on something I guessed was Switzerland so I was glad :) but it turned out to be Stuttgart :( ....guess even so far in future and alien thematics one can't run away from Germs and panzers :) Other detail is that you chose where to land on map, of few offered locations. Expected easy start but... screen just to show how interface and globe look ingame

...but it wasn't easy and i had to reload that very first fight as whole team got slaughtered after I divided them in 2 x2 squads. On reload kept all 4 together, took position in bushes and aliens just brainlessly came to me and i killed them all before they even touched me. So easy and without any tactics really vic... as said, it is all for change in real time but you basically give orders when paused, they then move, shoot, reload, even heal later etc. when unpaused, then game pauses auto after orders are executed... wasn't so troublesome, game reacts nice and interface plus changable camera angles work nice. but just first, easiest fight... After that, Stuttgart fell to my forces and we conquered even first country and land base which will supply us with resources and manpower ; Started to build factory (not BMW) in Stutty, got familiar with other screens before i quit but can't wait to try more fights later - screens same as other games, research, manufacturing, base view - plus diplomacy as you have to maintain some relations with human factions etc... screen of the fight, killed 6-7 aliens in bush position and got back to base. have fun and do join... will give some more word after few more fights and upgrades in next post, but if not - generally playable and fun like most titles on same theme, nice to have and progress day or two if you are short with time in real life. Still stay loyal to TBS myself ;) until next post or title here... do join us and tell what you play/like if you wish ...besides tank games/og of course ; if you do not, neither will we talk much :)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-12-11 20:59, Sunday

...must say i didn't get far in that one and is on hold, maybe just because i've chosen difficult level before the start... advanced another battle (and territory) but lost Betty :) which i accepted but already on third battle huge problems although i enlarged team to 5, couple of reloads and something looking like "bug" i.e. after reload enemies are constantly grouped in one place and they attack me simultaneously so i can't beat anyone and get wiped out constantly... will give it another try once, but generally am as said turn-based man really...

in lack of better subjects today something relaxing from my collection, and minimalistic too. Find myself evolving (or degenerating)) more towards somehow minimalistic or shorter type of games (usually deckbuilders i like) than anything "grand" in it, even good strategies like OG likes. Simply short with time, maybe or getting old... for example playing one OG scen for three weeks now, when i was younger i could finish whole camp in a week ; ...anyway, this title is Isle of arrows something in type i never tried before - combo of tower defense and "city builder"... you are given cards with various tile types before every TD round (enemy attack) and you must place them as you see fit, expanding your city same way, hoping to beat increasingly harder waves etc. Only in early phases myself, lots to unlock and explore but like very much what i see so far. Very relaxing, "cute", simplistic and good for few tens of minutes ; ...as said it is "roguelike" (i catch those phrases from foreign kids)) type of game and you unlock more content as you play and gain experience after fails... so far lots of types of cards and way to combine them, evade them or expand your isle in the skies... lovely.

few screens for how it looks - one from start of scen and second from wave/turn 20 after i expanded my "highway of death" and during enemy attack, i have as many rounds left in concrete scen if i survive something that doesn't look as super defensive setup but problem is that you are dealt one random card each round and towers are relatively rare ; ...have fun until another title or something more serious here and do try this if you wish, i like... do join, looks ghostly with 3 people able to do it via email rather than forum this way, next visit in few weeks :lol

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2022-12-25 20:44, Sunday

...talking about more serious things and games - as last in this year - here's one recommendation from me for usual "tank heads" and ww2 games lovers... somehow it turns that i do some war title always around new year time, remember that last one i tried was "BoB" around last period - on year which wasn't good ;) (depends like everything in life, some even like things going around...) If we don't count occasional OG, not some world-wargamer myself, could be said. Good thing is that this one combines also hex based warfare and of course TBS in famous settings, so win-win for me.

anyway the title is called The Troop, not marketed nor talked about much but i like what i see and how it works... a bit "priced", must say even though i said it will not mention it anymore, and in "early access" itself. In short follows battles on western front after Allied landings in Normandy, but sadly in non-campaign way, but generally growing content and hope for much more, maybe even proper campaign one day with beloved troop progression once ; This way a number of solo scenarios and some "skirmish" mode, but still far from all, so far they worked on it and promised enlargement. Short description ; But one might say what so cool and something to recommend there. Well I played just number of scens so far, but had decent fun and loved how it goes and works... Type of battles is usually to destroy number of enemy units in given time period, turn limit and that's not so new. But I liked the mechanics of the game and even scen design, so far very fun. Namely you (played mostly as Allies i.e. Brits for now) face some superior tanks, that's first fun moment. Second game implements some fun mechanics like giving action points for (for example) tank turrets only, for traversing them in directions and action points separate for vehicle movements itself. So you got to take good position, traverse aim and than "bang". If you do not do it properly when you got a chance, you lose your advantage and next time it is enemy turn to bang, second fun moment... further, lots of "line of sight" rules, good use of hiding and obstacles, fun city fights, option to fire hull MG and main gun etc. Even more crew can abandon damaged tank (or other vehicle) and join the fight on foot and prevent ebemy scoring bonus point for easy hit and kill. Also there is use of so called "cumulative aiming" in game meaning that your first shot after move and traverse is usually less accurate than second, third shot on same target, if enemy doesn't move of course. there is also chance to ambush tanks with infantry and if they have "open roof i.e. cabriolet :) " you can throw in grenade etc etc etc. And some other things interesting for wargamers and some sort of "realism"... thing i miss is, beside campaign of course, airforce in game and some sort of more use of artillery (except some mortars you have in some scens) both important factors in Normandy of course, but doesn't matter and many fun details even without. Let's hope devs will expand many things and become more popular title. When it comes to AI so far some good moves and not giving me easy kills or going for safe ones itself but also some bad moves and illogical turns while i'm aiming at it ; but they are imporving that as well... fun one, we all have our tastes and fun things but this one i like every moment spending with it... hiding my wolverine from panther/tiger in French village is drama moment worth enough and hoping that nothing aims my back while doing so :) Will have my moments of fun as well when i do some/same scens as German side and aiming those tigers myself ; (actually i did it once already, see below)... i like and recommend again, if you can - i have no doubt that most people here like the genre ;) - despite its phase and lack of campaign etc.

few shots from action - this is moment in which i command Brit "firefly" in sneaky move and close range shot attempt at PzIV, looked great chance while tiger had his back tuned ; ...sadly, though i managed to severly damage, imobilise the PzIV and kill part of its crew with shot - it didn't destroy it and i needed that kill for scen goals but that was bad luck. since mentioning, yes you can kill only some crew, damage tank, imobilise it all destroy it with shot - like in real life... if it's "cumulative aim shot" you even get chance to target particular part of tank etc. nice action

...and this one is from same scen i liked so much that i had to play as Germ as well after... it was stroy for itself and after initial success, good AI hidding and positions brought some needed action in village center... for example my tiger got hit from side and was imobilised (like in film) and i (as seen in bad resolution screens) ordered repair on sight while i was trying to locate and hit enemy tank that hurt my tiger with supporting Pz4 on alert :) so yes there are more mechanics like repair i did not mention and more i probably forgot. Generally some great fun moments with some play i had so far and thumbs up... of course i won the scen superbly and tiger survived but was good hit and my bad positioning... yes, it is 3d but not so hardware demanding as last note about it - have fun, do try if you can and tell what you think ; happy new year and nobody can say my last title wasn't more serious and on topic for us "tank-heads" ; (only digital of course i'm sure many people never seen tank, except maybe in museum) .... i dislike those subjects, hate tigers, they drivers and all and am more cartoon deckbuild man and funny rpg one, but thought to mention this if you missed it, it's been around for about year, hope it grows for same value.....

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wolfenstein 3D mods a sampler

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2023-11-16 11:40, Thursday