Fight for the homeland

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

Bazalt
Private
Private

Fight for the homeland

Post by Bazalt » 2023-01-29 10:15, Sunday

Hello everybody!
:howdy
I'm also a PG fan (and a hobby-programmer) and just now found Open General after I watched a video about it on YouTube.
I think and hope, it will be a great game and I will install it. I'm really curious about it.
But before I begin to play with Open General, I would like to show one of my little games, which similar to PG.
I made it in Game Maker (5.3A) some years ago and can be found on my website: http://www.vesszentrianon.n1.hu/
This game is also absolutely free. Download and try it, if you wish.
Last edited by Bazalt on 2023-01-30 09:31, Monday, edited 1 time in total.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Fight for the homeland

Post by Ale » 2023-01-30 08:04, Monday

hello, hope you find someone into programing things what i'm not, just player and sometimes moding games i like... when it comes to your games, simply language is not for me...

but since this is pub and if you like some historical-political jokes or thoughts - i many times said jokingly that we maybe went wrong paths post 1918... maybe historically it was much more wiser and "profitable" if we tried to consolidate and make "serious country" out of what we had then (i.e. today North Macedon and Kosovo) plus some state union with Montenegro and that to be "Serbia"... but as is things went differently and rest is history. Also, jokingly sometimes say that if i'm president... pardon emperor, i'd sign paper to return our lands to Hungary BUT if we get what i mentioned i.e. what we had then etc. etc. :) ...of course it is all jokes (but interesting thoughts) but i think in some "philosophical way" that our medieval rulers weren't fools to consolidate gains in southern direction which (quasi) made us almost power then etc. And are also jokes today as today is modern times, no change of borders and UN was created to "bring us to Uranus" - only European country you can change borders of "post ww2 and after UN creation" is Serbia :) ...when it comes to Hungary, it is one of our "sexiest" neighbors, Ilona was mine "heroine" ... :lol I like some historical-political thoughts, albeit sometimes lighter, so i said some looks at our "card deal" ... think both we and Hungary - considering that we had much greater importance and power during late medieval period when it mattered the most than many others - are in a way "big loosers" of history, for not being to secure some part of coast i.e. port, considering who got it today ;

anyway, hope you find some people to exchange game ideas with, i just like good historical joke and have no trouble to speak freely, like a free man, so welc if you have some other pub content as well

Bazalt
Private
Private

Post by Bazalt » 2023-01-30 09:30, Monday

Hello, Ale!

Yes, we could talk a lot about situation of countries of our region, e.g. how mixed state borders and nations here. And our history gives so many themes to make video games and movies but for some reason it is not enough interested in the western world, because they prefer their own historical events, persons, super heroes, etc. and we are a little bit in the background.
That's why I make small video games, because it is gap filling and simply I like doing it. For example, the "Fight for the homeland" (or "Harc a hazáért" in hungarian) also a turn-based strategy game, just like the Panzer General. So much so its graphics come from PG 1 and it is happening in the 1940s.
And yes, I'm also express my political-historical thoughts with these games.
That's why I dared to post it in this website, if other game lovers are interested in my game.

P.S.: and I kiss Ilona too! :lol

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2023-01-30 14:58, Monday

Bazalt wrote:
2023-01-30 09:30, Monday
but for some reason it is not enough interested in the western world, because they prefer their own historical events, persons, super heroes, etc. and we are a little bit in the background.
Guess it is universal trend to pay much more attention to own history.
As is focusing on the brilliant aspects and lose the less palatable bits.
Around here we talk over exceedingly about the glorious Great Maritime Discoveries of Portuguese sailors that "started the Age of Globalization" and brought distant peoples next to each other, and of course, tend to forget about the bits concerning colonialism, wars, massacres, slavery and exploitation in general.
Although 50 years after the end of the "Empire" there are already some attempts at writing about the "dirty bits" too.

So, here I am confirming what I wrote in line 1. Talking about my own country's history.
But the globalization thing and internet in particular do make available for people (with access to it) information on the many local histories.
Even games may have a part in the process.
I've learned a few things of history while researching cities when I was editing maps for PGX.
For instance, I learned that Russia trailed a colonialist path, not very different from the Portuguese one, only their colonial expansion was made by land and turned east to the expanses of northern Asia, and in fact they went into north America.
The other difference is that Portugal no longer has colonies...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-01-30 23:10, Monday

...i'll also add in this time (quasi, nothing unsovable with few fusions)) "of greatest European crisis since ww2" few things to our readers... i can agree but i'd also add that it really doesn't look like that from country which went through 3-4 wars and beaten NATO in process... small digression some people and various "experts" would like to compare some things - for example Croats said few times (recently repeated) "how they understand Ukraine because they were also attacked"... laughable - is there country that wasn't attacked and even more, I'd say that we were not only attacked more times but much worse through "recent history" only i.e. in XX c and Belgrade was bombed (for example in that war, though there was also big war in which it was bombed severely by armies of Croats as well by Škoda howitzers he,he) by some but also very roughly by allies in '44 and few times etc etc. (they don't mention flowers in Zagreb)) So who was attacked more and on "which attack" some crisis look like is discutable and questionable ;) Also war in Yugoslavia started even before Croatia was recognized, while Ukraine is (that's fact) independent for 30 years, so i don't see paralel etc. Maybe they aim at that Russians "copy our style" with declaring "nazi enemy" and that's also questionable... at least we were original ;) but you have to have some reason to keep own country together, wonder what excuse Vienna had when they started at us? nazis also? :) ... most seriously do not see it as same situation "philosophically" , but honestly leave Yugosarmatia as subject and our big historical mistake it was... i'm ready to sign that if we avoided it back in and said "no, we will keep our Serbian kingdom with corrections" (and absorb Montenegro) in 1918 today would live maybe more relaxed political life and maybe be "sui generis" and nothing for Croats to talk about :lol but that's me (just maybe) ....Other thing i.e. main thing before longer digression was the sea! - yes, i'm absolutely for freedom and every nation to have "equal access" to it i.e. some ports in other country, even having share BUT it is all nice and works alright if everything is normal - question is what in time of crisis and if someone decides to blockade you or there is war... when it comes to tourism and similar I don't miss tourists ;) and that "budget" honestly so not about that at all... would be more satisfied if we stayed (like in middle agaes) country of "toughest armor they seen in their life" (by Turks in early battles), glam silver and peaceful (today) production or cultural life (and many centers under UNESCO awe)) than nice tourist destination of nice, friendly people :) not some not to think i'm crying about coast for that reason... btw, total is lie while on subject that Serbs were "never naval/maritime" nation - for corectness Rascia/Serbia had small fleet through whole kingdom history and almost "made it big" with 5 (just planned start) Venetian galleys in some decades, maybe battleships or better carriers of the era, just to mention

anyway, nothing with our new memeber, welc, but i'm talkative, "sorry" for some digressions and things for readers. But i finish with this.. really Hungary, interesting subjects, arguably Nemanja's (our starter of "glory line" but himself memeber of previous line) great ally and so on through centuries... two bad things and some "dirt on shirt" in generally good relations (there was war in times of our rock'n'roll and their Angevin king, but also great respect by some Hun kings, honestly though Venice was our "partner" more). Personally is current migrant crisis and very bad handling of those more responsible from where it started and "bad thing" that our (once famous) communities/castles in Budapest and other centers of today Hungary disappeared... we also had colonies in Ukraine but no traces ; ...we are very sexy and glorious and (ready to sign and put head on wood) biggest losers of own history ; end. but i think we lack global TVs or similar to say "our story" sometimes and many people like to hear our story as well... have fun with games but don't be shy with something else, i'm over but welcome already good thread ;)

Bazalt
Private
Private

Post by Bazalt » 2023-01-31 15:27, Tuesday

My opinion is that there is no shame in caring our history and showing it to other people. Just have to stay objective without extremities when we discuss the history of us and others. Although it is not easy. What a pity that Hollywood and other big movie makers in the western world are neglects us... as if our region did not exist.
Bombast the blue: that is true that Portugal no longer has colonies, but at least you lost only your colonies, but the territory of the mother country was not truncated while e.g. Hungary lost 2/3 of its territory after the WW1 and 80.000 km2 again after WW2 and many Hungarians live outside the current borders.
Ale: it is sad that Europe is in crisis again after the WW2, as you say. These problems should be resolved peacefully and through negotiation - if possible. And therefore nothing should be treated as taboo.
Unfortunately, we don't know what the future will bring. We are tiny cogs in the machine. But I hope, finally things will work out well. It's good that we can talk to each other about our thoughts cultured way and this website and Open General game brings us together. :lol

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2023-01-31 16:31, Tuesday

Bazalt wrote:
2023-01-31 15:27, Tuesday
My opinion is that there is no shame in caring our history and showing it to other people. Just have to stay objective without extremities when we discuss the history of us and others. Although it is not easy. What a pity that Hollywood and other big movie makers in the western world are neglects us... as if our region did not exist.
Bombast the blue: that is true that Portugal no longer has colonies, but at least you lost only your colonies, but the territory of the mother country was not truncated while e.g. Hungary lost 2/3 of its territory after the WW1 and 80.000 km2 again after WW2 and many Hungarians live outside the current borders.
Ale: it is sad that Europe is in crisis again after the WW2, as you say. These problems should be resolved peacefully and through negotiation - if possible. And therefore nothing should be treated as taboo.
Unfortunately, we don't know what the future will bring. We are tiny cogs in the machine. But I hope, finally things will work out well. It's good that we can talk to each other about our thoughts cultured way and this website and Open General game brings us together. :lol
Portugal did not lose "homeland" territory in the decolonization process but overall history considered it was completely overrun more than once.
Only, this is such a piece of worthless land that no one really feels much drive to invest much resources keeping it.
Just to keep it onward from the outset of "modern nationalistic feeling":
In 1640 Philip of Spain saw uprisings in Portugal and Catalonia (after 60 years of Spanish rule here).
He didn't have enough steam to counter both but he also didn't hesitate on which territory was most important.
In 1807-1808 the country was under French occupation except Madeira under British occupation and Azores.
And there was fighting in some colonial locations.

But yes, the Balkans are much more complicated in terms of frontier history...
Actually a vast area around it is...

About feelings on history...
The less feelings we have about it the more historians we are.
Shames and prides tend to obscure the damn thing and we end up seeing just a part.

As of what future will bring:
I do not see anything good coming soon.
So, I'll stop here...

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-01-31 16:55, Tuesday

Bombast the Blue wrote:
2023-01-31 16:31, Tuesday
About feelings on history...
The less feelings we have about it the more historians we are.
Shames and prides tend to obscure the damn thing and we end up seeing just a part.
Correct! There should be no feelings involved at all. Only the facts matter.
People (99% men) talking about pride and honor just cover their weakness. It's all about psychology.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-01-31 19:45, Tuesday

if i can, one more thing - the last... when i said "it's a fact" (as parenthesis) unimportant where i said it is it was like sentence by this guy in best Yugosarmo war film, personally... no, it is not best just because it was our subject, it is perosnally best because a) it did not look for foreign stars to make it better b) it is without usual "pathos" or pathetical elements with "people" in other films... it is about soldier story only. so that's it not, my nation your nation, "bad image", "good image"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61cmdEDiTY

certainly recommend for lovers though i'm sure 99% (even here) know it... mostly our actors - due to need to characterize specific "Serbian speech" but officially Yugosarmo, '69 or whatever unimportant... really in connection with thread name and remembered it exactly by that sentence by this guy, playing first line division commander in "start of ww1"... also good "insert" is this one, legendary... so for those "duying for the country" around the world. simply he says "not my orders, not high command, country orders" (he said Serbia but you can insert whatever you like i.e. else) But i do not recommend any dying, just to note :)

just watching club game (from home) and remembered this guy and how i used his sentence :lol ...really he said shortly "it's a fact" about some situation, so not matter of opinion. not becuase of our new member, Hungary at all, it is just convinient to end my story for eventual young Croats to know something as well ; ...because of people like this guy - some fictional divisional commander - i feel sorry about later history becoming circus we honestly did not need... have fun and certainly look at part (in east Europe)) i presented and film if lover...

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2023-02-01 14:15, Wednesday

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=505

Game programmer on your own right, and arriving here to investigate Open General and maybe other projects !...
Besides OG and the other projects that can be found in this forum related with Five Star Series there is also the one mentioned on the topic I linked in the first line.
PGX is housed at another forum these days but it is a relative of Five Star, I believe.
One of the characteristics of PGX is that you may choose to play any of the nations included in a map/scenario.
So, when playing European Theatre you may choose to change from the default Germany/Axis to... Hungary, and to some extent determine it's future course in the match.
I know I already played as Portugal...
Just stayed out of the war until I had a small "expeditionary corps" and at that point joined the winning side...
Typical Portuguese opportunism...