swords and sandals/historical notes

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

swords and sandals/historical notes

Post by Ale » 2023-11-10 12:50, Friday

...i will continue this story about Roman legions here and generally this is new thread of mine for some historical (and maybe other) details i like and propose/offer

will not use links nor collected knowledege (of course ther are sources to check) always with some own words and similar, sometimes from head indeed... so to continue nice subject i touched, by Ridley Scott "immortalized" so yes one film is worth 1000 books or many words as it is :) IIII Flavia Felix legion. It was continuation of legion formed by Caesar as many other imperial legions from whose time many date - legio IV Macedonica. Formed before start of civil wars with Pompeius aka Pompey but not Popeye :) Saying because legio IV Scythica was also active (for shorter time and not so much "our") in today Serbia and not to be mixed with it, Scythica wasn't even formed by Caesar, likely by "Mark Anthony"... so IV Macedonica was true legion equal to Felix later, renamed (and almost punished for some fully unknown reason as it was good in battles and supported side) by Vespasian in famous name from "Gladiaor". While we know other name more, Macedonica was due to participation (where it suffered heavy losess few times) in August-Anthony wars in region, commanded by August etc. so some prehistory of famed Felix ;

other "our" legion, closely related with country and again province which was roughly similar was legio VII Claudia. Also formed by Caesar - some even argue that it was first legion he formed/raised for war with Gaul. In any way it took part in wars, and famous rebelion suppression in few areas of today France. More "important" it was probably one of 2 that participated in Caesar's invasion of Britain, so let's say elite or trusted. As Felix it was in today Serbia since first century as main base and both related to fall of (wetern) Roman empire. VII Claudia took part, as Felix, in all important campaign here, Dacian wars and legend is that soldier from VII Claudia brought head of Dacian king, Decebelus etc. Nick (maybe, probably lets expert say) was "loyal six times" and for Felix as said "lucky one". Felix in today Belgrade, Claudia not many kilometers east Viminacium then...

so those so to speak 2 main (other occassionally like those two for other regions) Roman imperial legions to call closely related to today Serbia, our ; Again, Scott filmmaker made them now eternal and when we look at history and campaigns interesting for history lovers, esp. if VII Claudia indeed was the first for Gaul by Caesar and in Britain - to this day Brits (as seen in Ridley's example) remembered our legions very well :) ...nice stories, exact and precise data for that time, not to be mixed with Scythica due to numeration and so on, glad that our archeos added to fame or preservation - could be said since that border in today Serbia (and then) wasn't so long as some others - that we hosted two elite units on "small" area and those were they

HexCode
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

It Would Be Nice But Not Necessary...

Post by HexCode » 2023-11-10 19:41, Friday

... for exchange of opinions to take place via interlocking posts. In any case, one may

1) Practice writing in International American English (IAE) by just posting.

2) Enhance his sense of identity by delving into "deep" history all by himself.

:2cents
Last edited by HexCode on 2024-01-16 03:52, Tuesday, edited 3 times in total.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: swords and sandals/historical notes

Post by Ale » 2023-11-11 12:05, Saturday

let's say also this about IV F Felix, so former Macedonica... we will all agree that Roman history and esp. "chaos" that followed empire, administartion and divides plus unreliable narratives and all is not so certain to detail and if we can say that we have no 100% clear idea about mediaval history of Serbia for example, even less is certain what really took place 1000 years before etc.

so in that sense legio Felix is also by some considered "ghost legion" (but not unique in that sense probably but we concentrated mor on it and VII Claudia, ours). While some evidence exists (and it was practice with many legions) it being here till the end of (west) empire, there is also some idea that Felix (i.e. IV Macedonica again) disappeared from end of 2rd century onwards, let's say shortly after events from "Gladiator" and Marcus Aurelius... it gives it special mythical status with all details combined before i.e. unclear punishment after it was already under firm Vespasianus controll, change of symbols, few times near destruction and loyalty to August etc. In many ways good, mythical choice by film crew and easily seen why in many ways it attarcted attention... so in that sense interesting is story (i.e. fact) that some local usurper-"emperor" in today north France, Neverlands-Belgium ; and mainly Britain, Carausius against Diocletian and his co-rulers/allies (all is unreliable) of all minted coins with IIII Flavia Felix in London. Very interesting detail esp as Diocletian fought some decisive battles in its stationed vicinity i.e. near today Belgrade in roughly same time... it leads many of us knowing something to speculate or theorize a) was Felic still around (as i said probably yes) b) did Felix had some mythical or legendary status in whole empire due to all said and that ururper or commander in Britain used it on coins more as propaganda/myth detail due to fame c) was legion of unknown loyalty then etc etc. All of which 100% unkonwn, so yes, even if in some mythical way, it was related to Britain at least indirectly... expertise is for whole Roman history hard to get, for Felix so many great details and why it was good choice for some commander (Russell) kicking everyone's behind in film :) and why legion had so many ups and downs, punishments and "ghost status"...

in any way, Belgrade is sadly to growth not investigated (and will not be) enough unlike smaller place near where we can 100% relate "loyal one" VII (important number, mythical in ancient times, Rome) until the western fall while for Felix/Macedonica IV there is some shadow or not (people find new things)... what is important is that Felix - no doubt about that - was "Belgrade legion" during events of film Gladiator, our unit so that's alright... yes, in some way both legions are related to Britain, although Felix again maybe mythically or distantly or... VII Claudia (name is not Caesarian btw and initial nick is "loyal to Claudius" later "six times") as Caesar's X "Twin" legion in first attack on Britain, that's also sure... Felix myth of a legion, maybe if we are to make some later connections, reason of Venetian "liking" of Rascia and Serbia nad care to tie with us... Felix but we are just thinking here, important part is nice status of legion and that it changes nothing as in film it did came from Singidunum (Belgrade again) with Russell ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-11 16:26, Saturday

...must say this, said in other place, but repeat is needed, while thinking little and connecting - not impossible at all that various artists, "speculants", people with imagination or "third eye" make some daring theses that actually might be more closer to truth in some occasions than some "mainstream" history (-ians) or narratives looking to fill gaps (there are many) in erong way... it really is funny

anecdote is that Britain (bad guys, very bad guys then)) was first to renew (semi) or true diplomacy with Serbia, while it had factions of itself, pro or against anything ; Russia (just because it was involved in first uprising, not for any reason other than that) did not want officially due to old idea that Serbia "should be maybe others" (in some divides to follow) but Brits, already during Napoleon dawnfall said "we will not open embassy but but consider having relations with you", something like that due to not caring about "annexing it, nor anyone else".... humoristically could have been favor for favor due to Felix support during Diocletian :lol nice one, but as i said never dismiss artists "third eye" and some connections that are hidden and always consider that we have stories from the past (as history) but we do not have motivations, many things nobody wrote or failed to see and always present myth or stories. So yes since Venice is mentioned, lions are English symbol as well... of course

very nice, very nice, Brit authors or imaginative ones... how it can be practical - well like films/books about Jesus having family or amny similar, nothing prevents film about our royal line, for example Nemanides, making connection from some caved or "ghosted" Felix unit or similar, Venice like ace on ten etc. Ridley already opened the doors of the story :) great one, thought last few days about story i know generally and wondered how to present it and the more i was thinking, more the like - London, Belgrade and Felix :yes in any way hope you all got another good one from me, if unknown... always join with something own, liker of those kind of stories and mysteries and why want to initiate curious minds, we as always have the best ones - but what can we do as Felix ended like that, in fog and myst...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-12 20:50, Sunday

I was also refreshing memory on origins of all/most Roman imperial legions and contrary to my previous statements (bad memory then)) not all nor majority were Caesarian at all (i.e. raised by Julius C) but our two were, and of course few others like X "twin" in Vienna and few others but most were raised after Caesar or by others, or maybe early republican like maybe I-IV, but not Felix ; by Ceasar reportedly. Romans also used double numerations and at peak (there are nice maps in wiki with all 30) there were 2 VII and 2 IV. But both ours, if we recognize continuity of Felix from Macedon one, were raised by him, so elite status historically... why i say this except it is "cool" well because this border on Danube was very fragileand not only that, one could wonder what Romans guarder in Mesia Superior - well as some maps from Oxford shown, mines and few gold ones here, so our medieval state in that sense followed Roman pattern... so VII Claudia and IV Felix (except "lucky" can be also nicked "ghost legion" by us now) were Caesar's ones but Vespasianus ruined continuity on Felix. In some ethnic way, both were made of Italics initially and followed some old Roman patterns but changed ethnic composition nearing end of I century...

want to round this story - obviously like Roman history esp. events prior to 3rd century - about Felix. Knew the story, it is our and all but personally did not know this before film and few years later. While for mentioned reasons and coins from London and Ridley thinking that our two are legendary etc ; it is interesting that Russell's character had real life inspiration from Marcus Aurelius time and one "general" (Roman would call it legatus or similar for high rank) that, even if unknown in Roman sources but brought to life by archeology, gained some fame during events and is direct inspiration... interesting is that guy served in many legions in the region and area but interestingly not Felix and VII Claudia ;) while having administrative position of trust in Moesia Superior, their base... so that led me to previous doubt or unsureness if our two legions fought in those wars and were they moved north during Marcus Aurelius campaigns around Vienna and upper Danube so i even said that it did not participate... some evidence suggests yes, obviously. in any way Ridley and crew had chosen Felix and (as inspiration) this guy who did not serve in Felix :) ...and he did not kill Marco's son Commodus, even more was trusted, decorated and given other positions by man he killed in film ;

here's the guy for film likers, of course for me film (while respect and always visually good as all Ridley's) more greater for this Felix choice than as film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Va ... Maximianus

for unknown reason in film name was shortened omiting -an- :) ...generally we do not know much details about events of both our glorious legions after Trajanus and around and even this small detail why famed legatus served in 3-4 around but not in any of our two gives again some mysterious tone and were they around and if yes did they move and were they in some constant "mistrust" status, if not that maybe something else... if by some wonder it is to be proved that Felix supported "Gallo-British" empire (or shorter "British empire" of Carausis, almost CaraGeorge)) during Diocletian (not necessarilly against him but also maybe yes, maybe co-ruller) from Belgrade and even something similar against all odds - just proves that we Serbs were always "strange" or mad, or there was battle in Britain as some suggest before events, mayber with Felix, or it was there unknown to us etc etc. not to repeat fame thories... nice one, film explained from few angles, plus generally nice story we can claim as own now rounded... always open to some Roman details myself, this looks like good place for some story or what is in dount in your region ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-13 15:20, Monday

other interesting career for share, inscription text or document - if we are to try (just that) to trace IV Felix in that interesting time is this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traianus_Mucianus

not so interesting but why interesting for subject as it includes years nearing climax ; and the trouble to be greater :) last one before Diocletianus and also Carausius rise by 1 years i.e. 285 as seen... text properly relate Felix and VII Claudia (in some combo before) but also properly give speculation where was it really in year of time (Felix only) - maybe against "Persia" maybe in Thracia i.e. close to base as noted in text in last few lines of "career paragraph" from monument...

just adding if you are intrigued by story which is great and attracted attention almost 2000 years past (tell us Ridley et all why) and to repeat that just few years after (Carausius rule was short but included some intersting elements from Vergil, Servius ; and Felix of course) Felix appears on coinage in London and northwest empire... it is roughly time when Felix is "last speculated" and no significant monuments later (if not found by now) but I also add to speculations i.e. doubts time of Marcus Aurelius i.e. roughly 100 years before... location of Marcus' is doubted, by one of 2 possibilites in area, but not province, few kms from Felix HQ... let's say also this, people say always "punishment" (due to disbanding of IV Macedon prima) but maybe just new emperor Vespasianus and started of own Flavian branch wanted to "upgrade" one fav legion with own family name and new symbolism ;) Felix invicta! ...with this i finish i think but of course million of likable and nice deatils, even mythical but i say this is enough for some understanding.... btw, there should be no "mythomania" and some pop-culture simplification of both (quasi great or good) Marco nor his times, but we can say that Felix is eternal and "good guys" :) (maybe disliking him as well)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-14 17:24, Tuesday

today as always little laugh and critique of our fav Wikipedia, after reading few articles of interest and as always (strangely not so many considering untrustworthy sources and complexity of subjects) there are claims and sentences that wrongly belong in it and wrong links and similar... as if we "Romanisti" so not have enough problems and troubles now wiki to adds more confusion and "fake news" from Rome :) ...for example, see that article on our IV Macedonica (IIII F Felix later) wrongly put in paragraph that it was moved to Middle East during Nero times (by gen Corbulo, Nero disliked later) while it is not true for Felix at allas the legion moved from Serbia was mentioned IV Scythica - so even before reading some article i warned beforehand not to mix them :) Article even refers that Tacitus, Cornelius said it even wrongly naming him "Tacticus" in fussnote and so on you get idea... :) ...when on subject - always better to follow and trust my posts than some internet sources ; - IV Scythica was first legion briefly in Serbia, moved there by Augustanus ) (Octavian) but some 50 years later, during Nero probably, VII Claudia went there and Scythica to Middle east - supporting Vespasianus while after his death real IIII or IV Flavia Felix arrived here... Scythica was far from relyiable legion and far from elite like those two. so did Felix ever took part in any eastern campaign outside Europe is not sure and dubious and surely not it wasn't like mentioned in article... and so on - so Octavian moves IV Scthica to Serbia around Christ time ; Nero (time) it goes east, while Claudia VII our first and longest hosted (as said after it crushed all during first invasion of Britain) arrives, few decades later during one of sons of Vespasianus Felix arrive here, and the rest is legend....

like those stories very much, Wiki always humoristic, "Romanista" since teen days (but i did read Asterix, sometimes less confusing than Wiki etc))... if you want some stories Vespasianus (related to building/starting of famous Colloseum in Rome) as young soldier served in IV Scythica near Belgrade then, later he as said million times "punished" Felix and his son moved it here, due to border on Banube becoming increasingly important etc. Vespasianus died in same year of famous Vesuvius eruption (do not look at sources now, so hope i got it right)) just few months earlier, Plinius (Pliny) the elder during it and they cooperated... Flavians, esp. Vespasianus were realted to our legions in huge extent - but never again mix Felix and Scythica... during times and Vespasianus being in Judea (pardon Palestine) Felix (then Macedon prima) was on German borders and opted against Vespasianus initially... you know it now, even gave some relations to famed Arena and famed Vesuvian (-us)) event. Like ti all, as said special passion and care to share for interest.... OG has even ancient subsection (dislike icons, sadly to say) so we are on right place... freely add, in this one wanted to make small fun of Wiki as always, we experts :) in shock ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-15 12:48, Wednesday

other great detail from texts - this time in positive sense - is that in famous battle of Philippi Roman sources (Tacticus?)) specify and name only one legion in Antonius and Octavianus army and that is our IV (later Felix) although we know that at least 10+ (maybe some inflated numbers as always etc but many taken part) legions taking part on that side (and many on Brutus and Cassius one)... cool and another mythical/historical element on our Felix. It is battle in which Brutus and Cassius died, or suicided, although our side of mostly Caesarin veternas had greater losses arguably, and IV almost crushed, stipulating its greater role, maybe even in cration of Roman empire... forgot that deatil or maybe never read it before but more than nice one adding to Felix ancient fame, explaining London coins etc etc.

i have persoal story as literaly in same time of filming of Gladiator I finished high school with doctorate on ancient Rome and was reading a lot generally and heard for Felix and VII Claudia (aka Schifferanus)) as our and similar... wasn't much in contact with Ridley then but really when film was made and hit the world was pleasently surprised Felix of all to be in it and story, was "wow" moment :yes As i also had one anecdote i told here about his other film (Columbus one) and how i initially watched other one with Brando in cinema believing it was that ; ...this film and chosen legion i already heard about before due to my interests and considered as ours was nice surpise ; ...so i tell you this story gladly, when i play something "Roman themed" for decades i rename my legions as Felix, IV FF, Claudia etc ;

we are failing to make some marketing move on it being immortalized by "Hollywood" so for example signs or specific mentions in tour of our fortress like - for centuries base of IV legion, Macedon or Felix :yes some vaxen Russell and similar people to know... personally, maybe too grandious, i'd even build huge monument to it... to return to Unesco theme - while we properly protected few our mediaval sites and few Roman ones (being same, our) - more Roman themed (and our as Germans have 100)) could be listed as we really were really related and blessed with figures but also some mythical legions...while we are still waiting works on Trajanus bridge to finish, there are only base but working full speed... :) ...always join my principessa and tell what to do, share story

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-15 22:16, Wednesday

...probably as finish to this article, better than any Wiki, objectively ; bit of legends who like

first though, while we probably don't stand on top probably as some conservators or caring ones for history and monuments (while quasi always about history)) sadly, and there are million anecdotes and facts about careless attitude towards legacy, plus various occupators and their addition to destruction - on things we only recently started (late 70s) to call "of exceptional importance", too many bad episodes to tell in various rule... but there is one which showed great care to exactly Roman history by our Academy and all... "Trajanus table" or "Tabula Traiana" marking his time achivements in construction works - piece od stone containing it and Roman road of some 300-400 tons i think was lifted (as some dam on Danube was in building that would swallow it forever) some 20-30 above same place it was in one "epic" conservationist move and care for our Romans etc. rare example so today we can move mountains (and monuments if needed from countries)) as it is said declamatory etc. Generally very caring for Roman things, that's us, caring for them like sisters, like own in fact...

i want to finish with something I avoided, but see also that articles "like" to put in those unimportant things like myths and legends. so for example how were Trajanus or Vespasianus or someone mythicaly represented in Jewish legends, or indeed as i touched about "Catalans" in Albania, some Greece etc. It is not important and I avoided it as those are sometimes just few legends or just some folk poem and generally not widespread...

but for our story and article i gave, about legio Felix again - in that sense remembered that Diocletianus, so late 3rd century emperor (by me far into decline and far from classical Rome i like) is in probably few folk songs or similar stories (can't remember) in Serbian legends mentioned as some monster or half-Satan etc, main antagonist... sometimes called "Dukljanin" or "Doclean". (in that sense it was popular in later centuries like Dante using motives) Why is fun, if we consider theory that Diocletianus (again) punished or maybe ruined forever IV Felix legion due to it supporting maybe Carausius or "western separatists" or maybe for some other reason, without speculation. In any way, adding this legend and how maybe Felix went into "last ride into glory" or into conflict with one emperor one last time and what legend of few Serb songs had to say about Diocletian, for various reasons but it was local force... all combined nice and great story but far from my classical Roman times. So as Claudia remained remembered as "six time loyal", Felix was "many times stubborn" not to use harsher term and speculate :) ...strangely that stone from few posts above suddenly very ruined just when Diocletian is about to come ;) ...he also changed fortification system traditionally relying on Felix and Claudia in one line so there could have been some turmoil if not total destruction of Felix by Diocletian etc. the end i think, likable

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-16 15:19, Thursday

when i saw Bombast's post (in other thread, unimportant but thanks for idea) and Zelenski in some game (but without beard which it grew ultimately) it gave me idea for today post...

interestingly is that, if unknown, even beard is topic of some dispute in Roman world and its on/off status on emperors (maybe other orgy goers as well from surrounding, court, elite, surely not all sentors etc)... Hadrianus was first ruler (one after our Trajanus) who grew beard, and first complete one after times of Punic wars and Scipio Africanus. Later it was fashion all up to Constantine who adopted monotheisitic religion... and so on, East Romans started to grow it again in few centuries only after. all our kings had it, in the west on and off, seems that English prefered it in times when some did not etc. So in short, beard was old Roman tradition before Scipio, Servius the Great wore it probably as well as Romulus and Remus below she-wolf, but often depicted without :)

sometimes we wonder how much something personal was involved in some "historical moves" rather than some outside influences or strategic need, so there are many myths about Romans and rulers... for example we wonder/theorise if Hadrianus wanted clearly to "distance" and reverse some Trajanus policies or moves, including maybe image so he grew it in contrast to Trajan (and many previous emperors)... in that sense it is intersting also that famous Trajan's bridge was (maybe) also ruined intentionally superstructure (or not at all by him), Dacian plans so important for Trajanus abandoned etc. Among speculation is also not only due to startegic danger but also on personal level as Hadrian was quasi in harsh verbal dispute and conflict with its main architect and Trajan's fav etc etc.

all could be myth, lie, but also truth in the same time in some personal relations so we speculate often what is behind some moves, maybe personal reasons, maybe strategic... but rather than that, from me short history of Roman beard, really in sentence... Greeks were, by my knowing, mostly bearded as well as others and all Europeans ofter looked at some tribes on the east (north east indeed) as "less bearded" due to genetics nearing the end of Roman times, great invasions from Asian steppes etc. But without generalisations even on that...

it is interesting that "beardless" ones in Roman imperial history were the ones from Scipio (not royal in that sense) to Trajanus who carried most of expansion and conquest in some 300+ years until Hadrianus quasi wanted to stop and make Felix and Claudia border ones (for example)... Marcus Aurelius was bearded but also expansionist in a way (and hardly republican)) while his son Commodus again kinda disliked some of expansions and so on, so not rule again but true generally, not rule as some bearded waged huge wars...

talking about looks and for humor - Caligula is my fav, cute even if angry on some statues :)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-17 14:17, Friday

while on subjects and how missleading could that ancient statues and busts, mainly marble ones is this example of mentioned Caligula... nice work, incredible that is same man, work or explain from Denmark of all places, no idea how many Roman heads finished in Denmark for example but support Ridley's idea Roman wives to be played by Dannish actresess :) for fun... really when you look at coloured as they say 100% same as original work it changes perspective on amny ancient figures and Roman emperors (for example) become very different, coloring was ancient practice for statues... i don't know about figures like Octavianus or Alexander of Macedon, nor much important but shows on one small example how wrong projections we all had just by marble busts... also some famous statues show younger period figures - some like Caesar, Vespasianus, Caligula as well had hair problems etc ; ...nice work or explaination so definitelly some actors that had roles of him for example do not fit ;

i'll turn again to previous subject of monuments, marking history or simply having continuity as i like to say... it is not so much as i presented about marketing, for tourists or similar, also for ourselves. Esp. as we title as one of today countries with most Roman emperors birth - all were in later centuries, first one without need to check now, i think around 240s - so in decline and could be said that when our born emperors started to rule more frequently Roman empire moved towards decline and demise :) ...so why shying about it, not so much about tourism also for our continuity - when you go, or no need to go at all there is internet, around Europe you see modern made statues of Roman figures around in many places - Vienna, London, Italy etc. We can, could do it as well, de facto Vespasianus was first one to make Belgrade some "capital" for example, or even Octavianus etc. Trajanus, Canstantineor figure of Plinius or Tacticus :) you get idea not only tourism nor care for foreigners (but looks good even for them) but also own continuity and relation...

...talking about continuity and as proof that history never stops in one moment (well, i gave many ties of our and Roman world already) but also for example Dushanus (also Stefanus)) used practice of "German imperial guard" (or under own hand unit) known from times of Caesar, even explicitely named as such also to mention... Romans all had some "German" unit, sometimes different than Praetorians but related, so Dushan logically copied that as well... generally as i always say, he was figure with much greater influences and even continental desires (not territorial) than we previously thought, but let's say unimportant now as i changed subjects for now but why not to mention that he also copied that tradition directly from Julio-Claudians, so called... Caesar had it arguably, Claudians surely, so our "small" Dushan as well ;

i'm giving likable subjects and thematic ideas for pub, but always welcome here with something unrelated, but stay in sandals here... i'm mostly finished but gave due respect and 'omage to Rome and Servius, incredible what we did to world and they forgotten that (except few "mad" Brits))

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-17 20:25, Friday

...silly me asking silly questions - "how so many Roman heads ended in Denmark?" hahaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYxtpGxGJI

:) must add that Germanics, esp. leader a bit "underepresented" here in dressing style but generally great "coreography" and chants, taunting by those tribes, we'll agree... and we will agree, universally, that camera and music introduction to Felix legion (again it came from Belgrade in film) and Russell is great, but fun answer to my question from previous post ;

something else, as logical continuity or something i got answer so to round... text BTW say that Octavianus was (lighter) brown eyed and haired, contemporary Romans say not specially fair skined etc, so that is resolved considering my dilemma of minor importance... Intersting is also for our readers and all of course just for camparison to Dushanus - they say (it is just source written later end estimate) that Octavian was around 1.7 meters, not so small at all for time, but interestingly source say "that he wasn't among tallest and that he wore feetware to make him taller and that his (quasi) average height was often problem when he stood beside taller around".... a bit unexpectedly, however more as rounding to my doubts and compare - of course Dushan was probably "freak" and impressive even today... enjoyable themes, hope you catched something new here, i could as well if you have something...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-18 15:57, Saturday

apropos, why we sometimes insist, like as those examples are stylized:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180975558/

https://www.boredpanda.com/realistic-re ... un-binous/

https://www.boredpanda.com/ancient-scul ... s-de-roma/

:) and so on, majority seems to prefer Augustus as some Craig and Nero as Harry the prince (at least colourite, while few even look close). Art is art, history is history so doesn't matter much except that they are two different things... so from someone of my credibility is expected to touch subject, although i find it more some ideas than any thing of importance, interesting is merely why so light or blue eyed etc. As i said myself I prefered Gerard Butler in one period as role of Stefanus Duscianusand would be OK although not so 100% facial similarity but now I like more, for example, that our guy from our short decumentary role, picture I posted once on forums here if you catched - nice look and more "badass" in some way as Dusciano was really young so thumbs up for that but there will be need for "Anglo-Sexon" acting as well )... so generally unimportant - color of hair and eyes - but why we sometimes like the subject of art and pop-culture even if i don't see what it brings to personality by insisting on something maybe totally wrong

taking about that all, seen Ridley on BBC recently, amazing spirit and vitality, fast answers and thinking :yes (like Biden's son in that sense)) doubt i'll even reach it, not try even, but amazing, did not see him few years, being old pals ; ...also humoristic as always... just sorry he probably did not include scene where Napoleon reads old Avignon and Philip IV documents that survived previous revolution, holding Karageorge letter in other hand and trying to remember what was that "Servia"... he reads and finds line "we majesty Philip IV owe 3 million silver dinars to Rascian king..." ...and in shock, Napoleon burns both :) ...but maybe Ridley puts scene in "Napoleon 2" :yes again respect to old chap for some scenes, Felix above all etc

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-18 16:19, Saturday

here is picture BTW (mere documentary) so how it rates and as i recently posted famous fresco etc. so compare if comparable at all, but close to our subjects and fun

maybe less famous than Gerard but maybe more fitting in other etc.... would like we to have some fun fem members to give a hint to our directors :)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-19 23:00, Sunday

this is BTW one of most near maps of Roman empeors births by today country... we figure as second after Italy, with few disputed or not sure births so maybe one in today N Macedon or one extra in Bulgaria, none was born on Kosano so no dispute there if you think ; ...Italy is over 20, we over 15 or ranging from 16 to 18, France and Spain around 5 each other yellow 1-2-3 and that's it

nice and likable deatil we failed to reach fame for yet but generally known among experts and why Italians move here as i talked :) ...reasons were known, Moesia Superior being almost "nerve center" in few ways for empire, place of most elite legions and mining and palace activity... as said all post 240s, would be cooler if Caesar or Trajanus or Caligula or Nero :) was from here but it is like that (but Serviousbeats them by miles as important one). nice detail againand maybe one of reasons for some mediaval fame and elite status of some Late medival time armies and desire of our rulers to give themselves "Roman flavor or continuity"

wasn't able to find anyone to talk medival themes, and as things stand will not find anyone for Roman as well... :lol but doen't matter, gave something to pub. Ave et invicta, we are very sorry for so many slaves and taking your wives for so long, but you revenged to us later.... :)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-20 13:00, Monday

...we are - for international laics - talking Roman empire and of course Byzantine emperos are not included in that sense Justinianm last Latin speaker as well etc. Place of birth is in doubt for some others and not Byzantine emperors, relating to middle of V c. so that to be clear...

administrative divides, changes and all regarding Roman empire often used in some BS (bull-s translated)) political ways and almost ethno-racism I would even say but instead of narratives and desires i like only facts and timelines... so Moesia Superior - probably or maybe ruined by Diocletianus along Felix legion ;) was created somwhere in I c AD, often maybe erraounsly (maybe not) related to Vespasian, but as I said Augustanus ) was first to send IV Scythica in today Belgrade area etc. So started to form around those times, let's say Flavians as something distinctive to both previous Illiricums and Dalmatia and soon gained importance and hosted two famous legions related to Caesar and his trust...

...more facts, less politizations and narratives I always say... for what it matters today, Romans named it after Thracian tribe, while de fact two legion host places i.e. HQ were on former Celtic locations and centers, for example and our mediaval rulers and Rascian (let's say Serbian) elite more played "Roman and Celtic tie" than "Roman and Illirian" for what it amtters but is fact and especially looked and praised to cooperate with Itlaics (Italians) who in most/greatest numbers filled foreign legionaries in Rascia/Serbia, those are facts not wishes or politizations... as said Moesia Superior figured until some Diocletianus' reforms and is time when Felix is less mentioned etc. When it comes to other things of course population DNA showed greater mix in ex-Moesia and modern Serbia but also different to other southern Balkans (so in classial sense including Greece) and so on...

for humor and joke - you know what is sweet "moral victory" and pleasure of above map... not anything about Albania nor Greece nor third - it is that Austria has none :) but unimportant and we like that humor... always join but with facts, not wishes and narratives, great subjects...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-20 20:50, Monday

...if you are for some healthy humor and to end this subject, i made one "meme" .... :) ...but generally this will stay thread without jokes and for education, just like some humor we lack

as for Albania - we are ready to forgive you Diocletianus aka "Dukljanin" and all, but Felix was our Roman pride (remember Brutus) and was very rude from him to do that and you understand how hard it is for us to behave like nothing happened to our fav legion and all, hence few folk tales and songs about him etc - but time to dig down axes and we will make a lot "aquila" babies with you, new empire and then big huge wall on northern border to protect our empire.... condition is you, Albania, to give up and retract on monotheistic religions and you can be our "place of Junona" again and we your Jupiter, deal :yes ...always join from there if fem, very interested if you found something else about our Rome, other than thing shown on BBC :) (and always what new you know about Duscianus)

that much about Felix for now, but seriously is very good subject and deep, very our as whole Rome, plus superbly good material we are blessed with for some films and books in a way i proposed but can be "variations on subject".... always ask if you want something else seriously, hope you like meme )

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-21 13:59, Tuesday

...in serious tone & since we are on subject, positive examples from historical tradition or folk epics are

a) famous duke and "cesar" (title given by our empire and mostly not by Byzantines, so you get it) Preljub for whome we could just put theory that maybe was half-Albanian (he probably knew language and cooped with Albanians in some missions) who by was by story "one of Dusciano's favorite and trusted" and "praised by emperor for valor and loyalty, courage" etc.

b) some examples during "first fall of despotate" when Albanian or half-Albanian gave entourage to fleeing George "golden fork" and supported besieged army/unit at "Novo Bardo" etc.

c) epic folk songs (probably known by Gabriele)) when our epic folk hero Marcus/Marko kills an Albanian hero and laments later "i killed greater hero than myself", probably giving some credit by Serb folk tradition to Albanian destiny to always be into other's empires, for example etc.

so Diocletianus is not all, there are opposite examples where Serbs i.e. we Romans gave trust/credit to Albaninans.... but not interested in that examples, as i see Albania as "Junona" and feminine )... coast and see could be very good for us if it doesn't get rotten and avergae person could only lament that Alba coast is not all to Dicletianus palace and further, would be more visited by us :) ...while direct tie between Illirian and Albanian tribes is hard and overstretched as it lacks more genetic/DNA material and while Moesia Superior was something different for us Romans and us Serbs (both imperial so link proven) it is not doubtful that our medieval folk mixed with Albanians more, elite taking girls etc... interesting subject as many, as continuers of Roman traditions we owe to touch it. In any way, direct or no direct tie with Illirians and them, we have no problem to jokingly give Dicletianus to them and say how quasi his feud with Felix legion is start of some Serbo-Alban feud :) interesting subject per se and for international readers, always join and add

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-22 12:49, Wednesday

DNA results BTW, talked before & no repeat, gave us some answers on amny continental things, really from Iberia to here and Britain to East etc... but - and that is why i repeat it as subject - it did not give direct answers nor solutions and will mention it later... so we've gotten some indirect answers like that, population of Serbia is more mixed than XXX or some genetic traces in this or that direction. But there is trick, so we don't have whole truth by them and that is what wanted to mention before - so if we have some percent of say dominant Greek and Albanian (if we say that Greeks & Albaninans share that genetic material) we have only that as fact but we can't say for sure if it is due to mixing with Albaninas or becuase of some Greek population that George "golden fork" B. resettled in Serbia for example after "buying" them for Turks ) ...and similar so DNA answers are not direct etc. etc. But most usual would be to say that it is both and no problem that we gained it from them both as Serbia spread in both directions i.e. towards Greek and Albanian ethnos. Etc. you get idea why is DNA fun and valuable but tricky...

something else, see after reading few English Wiki texts of interests that there is some confusion and almost comedy as always :) Preljub is mentioned as having wife that was quasi daughter of Duscianus and name it as Irene Asanina, wife of Johnny Kantakouzenos :lol also some contemporary Greek trolling (Nichephoras) as how quasi Dusciano had even more daughters and wanted to marry other to Kantakouzenos "allies" in one time, Turkish rulers... so in short and contemporary fun and untrue facts in Byzantine sources - very, very unlikely that Dusciano had daughters at all, and surely (if legal) not that. and very unlikely that he sought any alliance with Turks as his meeting with Pierre Thomas shows that until end his main enemies were John Kanatkouzenos and eventual Turkish states... Problem is also something else - he gained throne as very young and unmarried, even his son was too young when he died... ruled for 20+ years and enough to have daughters but hardly to marry them to Preljub for example, maybe man of his age or older... when he died his (probably only legal son) was under regency and pushed around by powerful nobles etc.

so i take, if generally nothing for his story except some confusion, stories and Byzantine trolling about his phantom daughters as some fun of the time and idea to little attack Dushan... or also such was confusion and chaos that (one of many) Byzantine civil war of his time brought to area and chaos in which he entered that nobody really knew who is whose army, who is who and whose kids are who etc :) guess that maybe some observers maybe unintentionally mixed Dushan and Kantakouzenos actions and moves, wives and daughters ; ...or maybe Dushan intentionally presented himself as "somone knowing Kantakouzen" and used some spies/agents to confuse Greeks and Genoese further :) IN any way, daughters of our emperor are largely "phantom" ones and most surely not existing in such way, not excluded that he had some ilegal, but wasn't that kind of man generally... Wikipedia as always humor and confusing and some Greeks historians made some fun - like that Preljub was married to John's K. wife :) ...Greghoras, while probably meeting Dushan himself, was known as "attacking Serbs" with little jokes and similary to Greek attacks on Romans 1000+ years before, used satire... but again situation in Byzant was confusion and Dushan himself skillfully played "i am the enemy of all and i'm the ally of all" so Greeks themselves weren't sure - sometimes they've seen Catalans sometimes Venetians, sometimes "phantom daughters", sometimes aquila-Romans again and sometimes man like down from Olympus :) likable stories, so to touch that as well, simply stories not truth and Wiki keeping it's famous humor and charm by combining them... i really hope people catch something new here, but simply although many material and good subjects I can't cover all nor touch all

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-22 22:22, Wednesday

must say again and maybe to finish something that is not finishable at all but really wanted to change "repertoir" with little Roman history now (great success worth of Ridley)) but Dusciano and our history is something that always need explain.... without some rare - except Italian which are so detailed that gave us the name of galley Mocenigo that transported Anna, which solved all our dilemmas and is great detail worth much :lol - that some western sources saved our history of the time... hardly is now more clear but a bit clearer as Byzantine sources would give one twisted version. But it did leave some (Byzantine) nice details as well, can't remember any but surely was :) ...just joking of course contemporary Byzantines saved some nice details, like nice explain of emperor "changing animal skins and is now shining as gold" :) or (without sarcasm) that they recorded some great win of Miluten when he created "kingdom of heaven" in Jerusalem etc etc. So not all Byzantine sources were trolling but Nichephoras and Kantakouzenos were "trolls par excellence" we would say today... )

...question is not political, surely we have incredible relations with both Greece and Italy today, but history is not politics... so in that sense as conclusion I would like to repeat really to international readers (as invite as well) that our "known history of era" suffers small BS diagnosis and that stories preserved about many things from "Apenine side" - from Venetian letters, "Alemaniac guard", Cesar as titles etc etc. balanced it... but besides that we and Greeks are sisters, while Italians just our principessas ; ...about some details as those maybe sometimes, but this is the end... Avignon and France - as you alerady ask - burned it all about us..... ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-11-23 17:23, Thursday

while subject is great and totally falsely with some quasi-electicity which nobody feels in Greece, Italy nor here - small addition... while there is no need for narratives at all, what is "moral victory" in this case... while what i called as such in case of Roman emperors births was joke (of course Austria couldn't have any) but this one is without joke... i'm glad that Italians themselves (and also Greeks but we are talking Roman tie now) recognized our historical role or better said recognized that link ; ...not only (always fascinating for me) that many young Italians went here to die in middle ages always repeating to our kings "you can control our bodies..." like zombies, or that pricipesse (no humor) from that ethnos virtually reborn our then state from ruins, but also that it was Italian sculptor who insisted that our first "horse statue" should mimick i.e. have the pose and look of Marcus Aurelius from Rome, Italian man. Then comes also Gabriele, Garibaldi having their role and cultural touch etc. that is great victory or satisfaction, if for example sculptor was of any other nationality it would be different... and so on, many examples... I see Italians digging around Roman sites here and I say: "What is it Italians, economic situation back home in Italy so bad that you need digging for gold here?" :) great laugh... there was small missunderstanding during "falschism" between us and them, but no so much with Italian royal army, due to their broken heart as i explained, but generally nice examples...

something else, we have (not unique, but many on continent do not have that) verbal or linguistical gradation or connection in titles, fertile for jokes and i used it once to explain Dushan's motives ; (in language that we accepted that is, due to majority around but of course our original was Servo-Latin)...so king is "Carlo" (kralj allegedly by his name) and emperor "Caesar" (car) so i joked how Dusciano after realising conflict with French says : "OK I'm Carlo no more, i'm Cezar now" ) ...it is gradation that says it all and clear message to French then. but also has much greater weight as we were HQ of two Caesarian legions... but of course that is humor and Dushan was 12,5% Caroling and had more than fair proposition/offers to Avignon to make him "captain of Europe and known world" ) ....made this remark and paragraph just so some French reader without sense for humor to think how my last post was "anti-French" - we are ready to forgive you Philip IV not showing in 1312 when he already baited us to go, and Nabulione ;) ....the end, but great and lovable subjects, love them and how amazing is prism that all is going through and delicately having continuity since that Felix last seen on London coins due to some disagreements. :) no humor, no joke, great subjects again and i'm glad things are now relaxed and i was able to explain them... as always in sea of humoristic tones, interesting true facts there in almost any post... the end.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-01 13:20, Friday

today i'll also offer to forum and readers this interesting map and few comments, circa 1000 AD (it says) and not political map, more "etnographic" but not even that precisely as (arguably) Serbs lived in Moravian basin back then in significant numbers as previous Byzantine data suggested (maybe not majority) but also probably all to confluence of Danubius and Savus i.e. ex-Felix HQ ; ...but let's say there were no censuses in those times so political and ethno borders were pushed around... it was also not political map as in those times our politcal status was unclear at best, dependance on Byzant, semi-dependance or some "sui juris" entity as would previous wars with Bulgars and Boris suggest (one of the stories from early middle ages i like the most, arrest of Boris by us and he was satisfied with 2 falcons, 2 dogs and 2 slaves as our gift of worth)) ...little humor on Bulgarians, but they should feel privileged as they are only with 2 states there, like Albanians today ; (as for other areas of continent not sure about how accurate and not important)

but let's take it as some "factual map" of the time, in tribal organization... surely not as interesting as Roman emperors births maybe one of most interesting when you are just second to Italy (incredible moral victory)) but why i like this map is that shows today state borders more or less ; and how "displaced" Serb state is to the east of that moment, almost there is no equivalent among other states... of course new investigations showed that even that part where it is quasi writen "Serbs" is not that at all, end that is all Venetian invention and heist, fiction .... :lol Like it really and seriously as puting borders of today for prospective - of course if in Canada ) those areas are still populated with significant percent of Serbs, but intersting is that political entity is much eastern, so for us fun map, could be for others, making our medieval spread and gain even more interesting or significant... maybe one of the reasons and confusion of Byzantines as they "had Serbs on defending border duty on Drinus" for example and 200-300 years later they were under attack... "who is attacking and fom where?" they asked "someone from Morava and Savus direction". "well those are not Serbs they are on the west, must be some Thracians!" so they named us Thracians sometimes :) like the map and modern border addition, again - if you have some of own comment always join, do not just look around and say something... from me this is the end but you got more than fun and intersting facts, maps and combined Servo-Roman details i personally like very much (many subjects are great also for strategic gaming or simulations)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-01 21:27, Friday

...and of course, of course 80 furs :yes for Boris... known as pedantistic on such details, must repeat as those are great stories. Furs were something that impressed Boris so he decided to take our ex-symbol, lion as Bulgarian CoA after that adventure with ex-Felix guys now in illegal i.e. us. (we were hiding from Diocletianus/Dukljanin followers so we couldn't do itso we used wolf & wild boar as CoA, Venetians and Bulgars later used our ex-symbolbut equally true symbol enforced on us by Vespasianus, so not truly ours) Remeber all that like it was yesterday, great memos... Boris promised never to attack us again - and he did not... but his sons and descendants did... and they killed our brave Branus etc.

lovely stories, imagined scene of Boris' arrest many times as trully film like... but to conclude something else - we managed later to not only return Felix HQ to us, also Naisa, also whole Morava basin and Stalazzo even and all cities to Peloponese :) - and (no joke) all that in great part thanks to two great principessas, Ana D. and 'Elen of Planto-Caroling :yes without them, maybe wouldn't be possible but with them we created great empire, made Felix HQ even capital... and could die happy now ) seriously, great respect to those two queens, maybe crucial to awaken "lions in us", great stories for fem history...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-02 13:10, Saturday

...regarding Greek wives and princesses, of course they were important and cute, but you get idea why these 2 are central figures of shaping today country... of course Greek wives (G. "golden fork" had one but not Nemanide senior line even in percent) would not encourage strong actions, which meant economic renaissance, but were important in other ways and considered "Roman" by us... but important moment was for example when nobility and "young king" Dushan seen the need to as one of goals maybe urgently prevent eventual throning of his younger half-brother Simeon (aka Sinisha in speak among Serbs as strong dislike of Bulgarian and Greek influence was still felt so they disliked his name) - whose mother was Greek by "Steve Wonder".... that was "realpolitik" of the time that eventually shaped today nation, but of course great respect to Greek principessos ) and we admit that our Felix legion was agressor at Philippi ) and that Servius maybe copied a lot from Greeks :)

my story and skillful connection of Felix, our present myth about Diocletianus aka Dukljanin, later events and our almost sacred goal to make Felix HQ capital etc. as i presented as story is a textbook example how with little imagination and without any lies as facts are there you can make great mystery, historical drama etc. stories and films even that you can offer even to western audience as something recognizable (to use Ridley base as he "broke the ice"), or Caroling bloodline which was intentionally hidden, or "holy grail" (or similar) in our posession via some emigrating Baldovin in our service and many more... and make history cooler even by just seeing facts that are there and we had, little imagination and story...

anyway, never posted Roman legion position during peak (let's say our Trajanus) and will not post map not to overflow nice story with huge maps, just via link, so cool with Felix and Claudia guarding our capital ) but interesting is detail continentally that only 3 capitals that were once place of "Caeserian elite" are Vienna and Belgrade - while Budapest is also only last capital of ex-legion, but not Caesarian in strict sense (if our Romaistic facts are straight). almost need to post the map as well and in even capital sense is fun fact so do look if you into story but maybe not known positions

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... re_125.png

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-02 20:40, Saturday

when it comes to one interesting detail on which I see that English wiki articles on our events "insist" (is mentioned few times) i have some opinion, but to say first that lingustics is not my ineterest not field, but of course like to look at something and put line this and there...

question is intersting as texts mention few times in various articles that Serbs i.e. Dusciano et rest, pronounced "Caeser" as title given (Sinisha Simeon did not get it, so self-saying)) in our time as "Kesar" ; ...why fun while i'm not sure - maybe "cezar"(as is said today by maybe corrupt way, later about that great fact) regionally and 100% sure also "chesar" with our soft "ć" (like ending of last names for example) which came trough Vulgar Latin i.e. Italian pronounce - but "kesar" is super fun and interesting... well, if would be 100% proven that Serbs, elite, indeed pronounced it that way in those days - it would made Serbs "much more serious players" and my joke that our original was "Servo-Latin" almost on target or incredible...

why? it is very interesting I remember lessons from high school and own teacher of Latin (while again i do not know all secrets of language, not investigated) and aslo remember Italians talking something like - that (incredible) there is debate or not sureness about how Caesar's time or even Classical Latin pronounced it (i.e. Italics, LAtins and Etruscans etc)... by one theory i remember some think that original Latin (i.e. speak of time i.e. at least one group of Latins, or caste) pronounced word and Caesar's nickname exactly and totally correct that way as "Kesar" as in "Klaudia" for example ; ...incredible in that sense if Serbs in deep middle ages really and able to be proven pronounced it that way, Servo-Latin indeed, great detail worth mentioning, while i can't confirm as all audio recordings of Dushan's court are runined through time ) ...but great if even doubt, huge like and maybe there is something in fun stories of us initially being "cave-Romans" :)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-03 20:34, Sunday

since i already touched it & my Latin lessons and knowledge ) (believe me also tricky subject as demonstrated), and to share more interesting things about us and Latin and amazing things we knew in our time i.e. middle ages - before Turks arrived who taugth us to speak :) but later joke on that...

good example of amazing thing is something that was (quasi) controversial so i will not speak now about that i.e. how and from whome words "hussar" penetrated various languages and traditions... just to say that undobtedly we had such tradition and Serbs took part in organising Polish units from which "winged hussars" developed it is known fact, but also in other place... word is of course not ours not Magyar - it is in base Latin word and there is more interesting part than "hussar" itself...

i.e. how "Gusar" (which is Serb variant or Serbo-Croat or Servo-Latin indeed, while "husar" because they prnounce G that way in the east, but forget it as subject because this is way better) entered Serb vocabulary and (as we propose as very relyable answer) developed from Latin word "cursarius" or "corsarius" etc. variant still present in French for example... so it is Latin word. And now most interesting part from lessons and memory... Old Latin i.e. language in use before so called Classical Latin i.e. during previous eras before middle of I BC (around Ceasar and end of republic, surely used during Servius then to add)) did write letter "C" for both "C" and "G" - so for example it would write Cai for Gai etc etc. Super fun - by that fact alone Serb variant "gusar" from "cursar" is not distortion at all, bad translation, bad speak, nor example of "excuse me, i didn't hear you well, did you say Gusar?" etc. it was (amazing) again following of some strict rules of Latin language itself and that old Serbs obviously knew (incredible) either by following new i.e. classical pronunce or following some long forgotten rules of Old Latin by mixing "C" and "G". Lovely story, bravo for our ancestors :yes so we got word "gusar" not by distortion or bad pronounce, but by some Latin lexical/grammatical changes and "by the rules", as i said amazing equally as possible "Kesar" prnounce if was true - why would American and British historians lie in that sense, so bravo for them as well if they connected dots and gave us idea that old Serbs maybe knew Latin much better :yes

other thing, unrelated and totally unscientific like those linguistic above - but fun more for our people but could be for any reader... about Etruscans, I do not remember them very well, was very young then but generally remember them as nice people and neighbors :) Seriously, I had them as one of subjects for high school doctorate ) i mentioned as my subject was "Roman expansion on Italian peninsula, Gaulic northern Italy, Punic wars and those with Pir or Epir i.e. Greeks"... so touched Etruscans and know some facts (if not changed by now)) - so what is fun - Etruscans (endonym) called themselves Rasna simplified or Rasaena etc. so visible and interesting for us root Ras- which is famous exonym for us in Italian lands during middle ages. Fun but unimportant. Other fun fact i remember is that Etruscans called Rome - Ruma :) Why fun if not Serb, Ruma is smaller town in Serbia etc. Few fun facts, but again unscientific in that sense and no direct tie with us - as we were clearly Romans :) and so on...

to finish with that i promised... Linguistics is (also like DNA analitics and genetics as i explained) also tricky field and subject and we ca not get definitive answers from it, just some traces as mixing was high and various influences... so one joke to show how some misuse it or "troll" with it... recently some Turkish source published how quasi Serbian (guess they ment Serbo-Croat as no other country was on list i think) is the world leader in number of "Turkish origin words in it" and gave some incredible number of almost 10,000 :) well, knowledgeable people (including me)) looked at their quasi list of "Serbian words" and found out that 1000s of those are not in use in Serbian at all :lol (maybe were used during Turkish terr... rule in Serbia but not in Serbian today). Further people found out that many of words are not "Turkish" at all but that of Arabic or Persian origin... while proven as not true, was a good way (I guess) way for Turks to "troll us" or make some good joke but as fact not true :yes Probbaly Turks like to troll us as we are famous "Turk-killers" but today pals and having lot of fun with Turkish girls etc ; ...of course not denying many words that were incorporated (and toponyms) here during Turkish rule, probably hundreds (while some were used here like rest of Europe befotre Turkish conquest and entered Europe via Persian and Arabic via Crusader states etc so we used them in speak before, mind that as well) but "news" per se was fake and "trolling" but OK, like harmless jokes :yes

so again tricky area and do not believe all you read on internet... obviously subject i like very much... hopefully my Latin fun facts and amazing detalis are fun and good read, as for Etruscans very funny Ras and Ruma ; ....more i look and connect some things more i like you my Italics and kiss you all my principessas - it could be true. Ave and invicta!

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-04 12:02, Monday

"Magyar" is of course and important to note due to internet being international - Hungarian... we are among few nations, due to geography that accepted theit own endonym as official and own word.... But historically we also used "Ugri or Ugars" for that tribe during middle ages. Since on topic - don't know about you or if Hungarian yourself, but I always laugh when read old Greek i.e. Byzantine sources where deep into middle ages Hungarians are called "Turkoi" (Turks and Hungary Turkey), DAI and else and there are famous lines like "Servoi allied themselves with Turkoi" :) in XI for example etc. very fun

must say, while obvious that we as tribe have so many great details and ties, even influence and "fingerprint" how little is it exploited in way of some strengthening of ties, having maybe fun yearly celebrations or similar... we de facto reformed Ruma via Servius, gave birth to "winged gusars", maybe were part in making of Turkish flag, so many Roman ties and some of most iconic legions, our and Philip IV plan (which only we followed)), other ties with French, Germans, maybe Spaniards, not to mention Greeks etc. - there is so much material for really some gatherings for history lovers, yearly celebrations and deepening of ties - but we so trail back and nothing is done... always amazed me, since was teen... always say, must be lack of "material legacy" i.e. castles, nice structures, monuments etc that kept us from telling truth or simply making those ties, it is how human brain works - no monuments and castles, no story or no ties etc. And why i always mention Anglo-Sexons and really give them credit (like Ridley recently) - opinion is that they (despite pardox on surface) respect us more than we ourselves, or ready to speak openly and say what we were and similar :yes ...not to mention Italians, which said things we would never say and made some monuments we would never make etc. (Gabriele again who bravely adressed us "Victory is Latin" by knowing some facts) ..."fear" is also due to quasi opinion that it would "hurt relations with someone else" or even force people to change their religion or traditions :lol not at all, but having "orgy" with Poland and Italy as marking history could only benefit us, me thinks

to finish with fun English football fans song/chant for humor: "Ruma is small town in Rascia!" :)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-05 17:18, Tuesday

question of endo- and exonyms is interesting and tricky as well as we all know, often leads people to wrong conclusion.... so in that sensewhile many exonyms are totally unrelated to those aimed at and their speak, Rascia and Ras wasn't complete exonym in our past times as state was called "Raška" among us and around us, as Etruscan Rasna so it is half-endonym in our case... while we took it from ex-Roman fort, it is interesting that in Etruscan case more care and scientific examination was given to that exonym "Etruscan" or "Trusci" etc. than endonym itself - could maybe explain few Ras- toponyms here, in Istria etc. as well, but guess there is insufficient data to even lay some theory - so may I recommend "very sexy ones" as Italians called us later :) ...seriously, to return to thought, often people think that something must be offensive in some exonym per se or intended to "look down" on someone... so maybe some took Ras as that, while in fact glorius, some Romanians dislike English (or our in that sense) exonym "Rumania", while in fact we and English have no intent (at least English are known as scientific and knowledgeable)) so we just use Etruscan speech ) ...And so on many examples of similar, or even more examples when people make wrong connections based on or not regarding exonyms and endonym diferentials... rarely mention Romanians but that's because they are our sisters and same that joined us instantly during "Nemanio's revenge", just they originate not from Ruma nor Rasna as we - they are Sabines )

...as many, like the subject. For humor, while our Roman sisters and mamas were not known for "trolling" like Greeks that much, it is specific Greek humor btw ; this Roman map shows that they were not immune on that and giving some freaky "exos" :) of course i changed hastly and marked few names for laugh, forum dedicated to fun needs some humor - it is fun and why Marcus Aurelius waged huge wars against marked tribes :) - true map you can find few posts above (position of Roman legions after Trajanus)... always join on any subject and what you get of it and how can you help or what you find interesting ; ...I abandon any Sarmatian and Scyth theory and i lied - Etruscans and Romans built themselves "rich" necropolas just like our elite (just mixed with religion)

btw, something fast - what was our old name for Rome (while today using name probably from speach taken from others but not necessarily old-Rascian) maybe i propose something indeed between Ruma and Rom (as Byzant was Romeja)... btw2, knowledge and speak of our elite shouldn't be mixed with plebs i.e. population - DAI gives incomplete answer, more based on guessing than knowledge and for them Serbs were small initially (but Venetian imagination big when they invented us)) AND always mind (as seen on map) that initial Serb position was more west and only later overlordship spread to Moesia S. and rest and that often even our sources call those who followed kings that really exapanded (all Nemanides but Miluten and Dushan above) as "old elite" probably to give contrast, and why our super knowledge of Old Latin was so present )... still hope you enjoy my post and will join us my principessa, gave you wide range of subjects, hope you catched something but i could from you as well... despite many subjects to touch, think i gave more than many and awaiting you now

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-06 17:36, Wednesday

...but while waiting for pricipessas, few more things i like if you are not so into knowing details about Roman history, of course for us more important not only linguistically as presented, but also due to geography and closeness of Italic peninsula... Italians say, btw, that their language is - in greater classification of Romantic ) languages (Romance) - named Italo-Dalmatian or similar i forgot, but obviously there is some tie... not my interest but not hard to see things and roots even blind man would see, from Servius to Ras and our use of bloody word "kesar" ) ...Servius was btw - it is legend and unknown for sure - Rasan i.e. Etruscan, it fits well :)

interesting is that texts include also theories by guy who really had some theories but overstretched where not touching us at all... however there is something else there that "might be true" (that's for linguists) and touches us and tribe name - so by theory we and Sabines or alternatively Sebines (Romanians as we are Rasna)) and many more tribes like Swedes, Schwabs :) i.e. Suebi etc. i.e. all on Se- as roots (even if lost today in practice but named few) share that root which might be Indo-European "self" nomination or determination :) in sense that maybe Se- was also common prehistoric root for all tribes which we kept... in that way and in "pretumbation" we would be something like "self-Rbi or self-Rvi" and similar... interesting addition and something like i noticed in Sanskrit word "S'rbi" etc etc. Nice addition and another tie with just another Italic tribe and us, but i'm firm on Rasno-Ruman stand as our most likely ) so paralel with Sabines would be more linguistical than tribal

how not to like those stories... talking about S(a)ebines if you want some relation and timeline with our events, first Roman emperor that served in (as i mentioned) Belgrade i.e. Singidunum was nobody else than Vespasianus of proposed Sabine origin and his fewlater Flavians which positioned VII Claudia and IV Felix/Macedonica (which he named after his gens and changed its symbolics) here as joint formation and border security, until maybe Diocletianus as talked so much - and why we hate them both... he hated us as well, he served in IV Scythica which Flavians moved to Mid East... see that (didn't know) Italians and French quasi call "pissoars" (urinals) due to tax he invented "vespasians" (or like)... well, we too called his former fort where he served (in time when there were concerts there and generally) "big urinals" :lol disgusting but true...

since i compile some details and want to add other that made me stop, pause and think for a moment, but i also mentioned it... it was that about Octavianus Augustanus, first man who sent us here in our current homeland. That source, Roman dating decades-century later so surely can't be used as "first-hand" (but better than Tacticus)). And moment when it said that he was around 1,70 m but very "average" and "needing heels" among others... it really is interesting detail, so maybe Romans weren't so blond as August but maybe were really taller than we/I thought - other connection with us, known as tall later... and so on, many interesting and nice details of Rome and us Serbs, so we always (due to international pressure)) are ashamed of it... but surely are among few whose "pontifex maximus and clergy" still use Caesarian clendar :) likeable detail... Invicta! ...always join

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-07 17:32, Thursday

...to return a bit more to "Ras" subject after some connecting and investigating.... question is of "exceptional importance" to mimic and quote our Academy :) in light of it above, and for Italics readers and interesents eventually there are river Rasina, Rasina district etc. only here but much more in other places like Istria as i mentioned but who knows where also - but let's say very high concentration in historical Rascian heartland or coreland i.e. today southwest-central Serbia... so what about it to return to - sources and English texts are unprecise and to me looks like by giving sentence that "old names" were of Arsa, Arsen (for river, nice for thirst) etc. and by putting Byzantine i.e. Greek (language, not to mix it with previous Hellenic civilizations) sources it gives also wrong lead - i.e. as it is really unknown how it was known before or what was Latin name (maybe older, before Byzantine-Romean sources start to mark it more as it was now closer to some Byzant border)... for Roman empire it fast lost any importance, already in I c AD - if had some short, as important forts fastly moved to Danube, so it really is rarely if ever mentioned even less marked by Romans. So, take it's quasi "older name" (Ars- roots) with caution as it seams after all that things including Ras- could be more Italic than Ars- etc etc. You get idea of conclusions and not sureness when exactly and how fort, river, area changed name and form and what really was Roman pronounce - while Ars- maybe some "Illirian" and surely Greek... in any case, as i joked before (not joke but truth) fun fact that our old capital was declared Unesco world heritage before Rome ancient center or Parthenon etc :) - while doubt it was that, maybe just unpreparedness of Italians and Greeks for subject - but also maybe some scentists, Italian, think that there is some tie and "linguistcal secret" there...

unrelated, but also want to add... Wikipedia articles and sources i.e. who made some claims are important so i mentioned guy above with his very ancient Serb name theory... he was BTW kind of Austrofil during ww1 so his claim unbiased surely in that sense (but maybe not true, might be "protect" "guard" or third)... further on Wiki, see that many claims on English texts are from guy (Fine) who was closer with Croats and Bosnia during war - yet some of his claims about Serbs are fair and good, give us great credit (some wrong and often from Byzant sources)... but he insisted on "kesar" for example, praised Dusciano Codex in some moments, wrote some things that made our elite "cool", i agree with him on "Steve Wonder" maybe fake blindness etc. etc. etc. so no much bias there... but nevertheless, a bit obsolete and probably influenced by war so "Anglo-Sexons" should make some new big book about our medieval history, including new details while not urgent - like some details :yes As for Italians they need not do it as they already made some good things even unaware of importance of some words they put or, on the contrary, aware of old ties, thankful for that :) ...without any doubt, most important region (Italic peninsula) for our med rise and if there is material to pass Roman legacy to us, you are welcome :) but let's say we share it.... like the book from 30s "Principesse Italiane" where they put us on second place by importance of med states :yes

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-08 15:36, Friday

...or, not to confuse readers again maybe not so familiar with all Latin-Italic metamorphoses and history or even my principessas and Italians in general and if we disregard Mussolini and his quasi knowledge of Roman history (as on Meta Sudans and wider example) and language, aimimg at Istrian toponyms, maybe less unknown as our, Rascian.... in short, if i did not explain well, what bothers me is why would we (as Istrian example confirms "change" during Croat's time) i.e. we of Ras change names to something so similar to Etruscan endonyms and tops, if you get my idea... it also confused me as text was saying that Ras (in case of our capital and river etc) change from quasi older form "Ars" did not happen in our time, but before which is contrar to Istrian example, quasi... for me there is something controversial or unclear, but interesting and nice in both Italic developments, Latin-Roman (et rest) history and synthesis but also here as shown on that example. So in short, if wasn't Roman time change why would we use so many "Ras" roots and (in Serb case) even concentrate one of states around it... part of the controversy (or let's say just mind provoking) or mix is also Diocletianus (or around his times) change which de facto annuled previous Roman tradition and clear divide of Moesia Superior, Panonia etc. end sudden huge use of term Illyria, -cum for all that. (while Moesia is sometimes marked as Dacia as well etc) While Dalmatae were maybe some Illirian tribe, Diocletianus' kin, Moesii weren't and so on... Hope i exaplained it a bit bitter and why Etruscan endonyms are so similar and amazing for us

generally our and Venetian synthesis wasn't maybe just political or based on some interest, maybe was something deeper there that both elites knew and it was "targeted tie", not "realpolitik"... Dushan's great care for Venice at peak of our state, naming son in "Venetian way" (while it was part of name for generations, he singled it) maybe shows it was never abandoned... but hell, maybe something even deeper or older. We can't speculate just have some facts, linguistic details and ties, even Rasni Trusci are in the mix but also Samni- and Sabi- as well in our case unlike Croat :) (and i always say was it pure coincidence that Dante held our dinars in "shock", Firenze and Rascia having same symbolism in "3 finger salute" etc. etc.)) In any way, our and Roman, also our and Venetian history is similar and obviously on Dalmatian question as well, lands where we lived more than today for example ;.... I always say, to go further back in time, our political entity or state is also ethno-geographically similar to early Roman as well (in our case in traces) as it tried to consolidate between ex-Celtic north and Greek south, so i gladly speculate with some things like Etruscan name, speculate with our Branus name (one of Boris' arresters) and smilar... ex-tribal corelands also contain many Rum- and Rom- toponyms, mountains etc

maybe just going too far but i also find way in which mercs greeted our kings (attested in Germanic sources) "you can control our bodies!" similar to "morituri te salutant!" and even saying "kesar" :) "te" * like "se" also remained in our speak, btw ; ...generally wanted to explain less knowledgeable eventual Italian readers some things, what i'm looking at and similar as maybe they have no idea about - like old stories and doubts, but generally they know. It is so incredible how central Rascia is so similar to Tuscany by architecture and look :) ....of course if you can add anything always feel free and even point to something that i missed, correct me or point something else from story or even slap me hard like Anna did many times when we were wrong... i don't know about you, sister-mama, but something is also lovely there, many Italian great minds played or toyed with it... would like we to annex. Despite many humoristic tones i really try to be serious when talking about our history and events, from Ruma foundation to the moment when Vukashin killed Urosio-Ursus so there are details i hope of great value for readers in your peninsula, even south of Venice... if it was Arsia after all, maybe that quasi Classical Latin in use after Caesar's assassination by August was too Greek influenced and why they also killed Servius who spoke it much better etc. let it be the end, until you join - but it is beautiful, happy-end :yes

* it is Indo-European root meaning "youself" so all tribes with Te- have it as root, so names and toponyms like Teutonics means "yourself-Tonics" and similar - to copy that Czech, Austro-Hungarian guy, and his theory ;)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-09 17:08, Saturday

but they say that one video is worth 1000s words and i had them ) so even better summary on story....powerful and touching, i'm crying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvShmFFrLJk

so who ever made it, why it has it as summary - not only worldwide public, but also many people locally, from Ruma i.e. us, Alba Longa :) Sabines etc. do not know that in just 2 mins there are so many details relating to our history in concrete, Serbian localities - from Felix legion most time in service spent here, cursarian brawl, quoting ("what we do...etc") of Marcus Aurelius by him - who (maybe) died around and even if not, is related through being around many times and "horse" monument to locality, to mentioned motto or saying (modified but in same sense) as one our national guerillas etc ; ...so indeed domestic subject movie ) ...almost shame that Dante or Gabriele knew them better than us, but it is "top secret" and we and Italians do not like to talk about it :)

knowing ancient history is very nice, to me most interesting/relatable except some domestic subjects, but old ones ; For example 99% of people surely think that 300+ of Alemanic guard was coincidence, while it was preplanned hiring by Dusciano and waiting for them to move here - aimed at copying ancient Roman emperors, one small example and so on... now you know some details about Rome as well... think i couldn't pick better video on subject as it has so many in so few time, of course with help of Brit director ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-09 22:32, Saturday

regarding "Marcus Aurelius controversy" i.e. place of death, not really but many traditional Italian (not saying Roman) encyclops and sources beleived it was in today Serbia, Sirmium... some other claim Vindbona i.e. today Vienna... did not touch it much myself or what are "pro et contra" arguments for either place, but... being magnificant as we are and as Austria has zero emperors births, we are ready to give them one imperial death :) ...but generally i don't know, while it is not in doubt that Felix took part in first Marcommanic war (or anti-Narco one)) and moved against Iazyges etc as well (seen some maps in Italian encyclopedias) I said that there is small doubt of Felix being in final operations, maybe punished again :) and how big was it role in general operations... regarding that "punishment" i also have opinion that maybe Vespasianus actually "upgraded" one of most famous legions of Rome since Kesar - by giving own gens name (hoped Vespa it will last long as ruling dynasty) and Felix nick ; so maybe not punishment at all. And always mind that even without that (i posted one career i.e. stone scrypts which do not mention much neither Felix not VII Claudia related to guy who took huge part in Marcomman wars etc.) history of both is rich and spectacular esp. Felix sole mention at Philippi, Greece on "imperial side" - so theorize that maybe Vespasian wnated it to carry name of his family etc.

nonetheless lovely stories and so like my grandeur to give something imperial to Austria, Diocletianus to Alba, and you England (Britain but Scots are behind wall)) can have Carausius (which forced us into caves) as one "emperor" etc. as you all have none and we and Italy so many... all lovely, would like some Italian historian, enthusiast, principessa even better - to give final word on things like Marco's death, so join if you read something

regarding "German imperial guard" units and how (sometimes) unreliable they were or able to cause trouble, death of Caligula, Batavian rebellion (after which Felix was maybe renamed btw) etc. - one cannot dislike that story how our Dushanus almost had "similar first hand experience" or semi-rebellion himself ;) near the end of reign but his unit eventually shown more respect than some Roman ; ...if story is true at all, but likeable.... one more line, some not to be too literal, what happened to Ursus we don't know, but Vukashin's quasi treachery is epic-artistic, Gabriele liked it and so on, people since Goethe speculated :) We don't know maybe he was indeed last Nemanide's closest ally and even they died together, but unlikely and if not what kinf of relation they had and why Urosio did not take responsibility for "imperial legions" he had under hand... i'm glad international arist liked our stories, but the end on that.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-10 19:23, Sunday

so yeah, few more things about linguistics, kinda important to note, i see that (as noted in Turkish example) there are a lot of misconcesptions about Serbo-Croat and many through centuries had totally wrong answers or propositions on many our words... think i was clear enough about words and influence of Latin and older forms on our language and totally is wrong to look for roots of some words in languages both Slavic and Ottoman Turkish, even some clear Orientalisms penetrated earlier through Italian, Byzantine lands, our traveleres or adventurers, or foreign crusaders here, or do not forget that we had monastery 100 m away from Sepultura in Jerusalem which had many scripts and books etc - all important to repeat.... so few examples to add - Latin had words like "ala" and "alae" (ale) meaning "wings" could be our winged/flying thing for example as contrast to "zmaj" or orientlistic "azhdaha-ja"... further, Venetian (we talked about word before) had word "kazna" (casna) derived from Latin word but in both Venetian and Tuscan it means "treasure" or simlar in Tuscany etc. So more likely that our medieval "finance minister" i.e. treasurer i.e. title Kaznac is actually closer or sister term from our Venetian and Latin relatives etc. than "Serbo-Croat" word per se or from Persian or Arabic in some distant way... it is very clear example as was used before state fall, but there are many which rised wrong theories... Many examples and indeed "Serbo-Croat" has many, many "Latinisms, Italianisms" call it as you wish - mater, mator, jesam, nisam, kaznac, gusar, kurva, meta etc etc as explained and many more... shocked how Latin was looked down at generally, while unimportant to look at every example, by even our earlier "scientists" and do not blame Turks at all for wrong posts or similar.

similar is with history and wrong narratives, so time more than ever to kiss and hug our sisters from Venice and Italy and tell things as they were and which books and stories Miluten or Dushan (for example) read and influenced them, whom they copied and all that... ther was a lot of "racist narratives" aimed to divide us from Italian lands in any way, and when i say "racist" don't mean anything evil or based on this or that, there was just wrong concepts and lack of knowledge, just few, like Italian intelectauls or artists, and few ours, tried to tell different story... you got idea and as we say "sapienti sat", without need to insist on every detail and linguistic form from our histories

anyway, today "Roman Sunday photo funnies", one painting from XIX c Dutch (from Neverland) and British painter... Claudivs made new Roman emperor by Praetorians (quasi he hid behind curtain after assassination of Caligula by troops) and caption: "Ha, you are new imperator!" Claudius: "Nooooooo!".... could you imagine something similar as SU V Urosh reaction upon hearing news that dad Dushan is dead :) ...one of many great mysteries of our history, that man who ruled not short at all but so pushed around by nobles instead killing them all and continue ;) really greateful, repeat, to few foreign artist who opened my eyes on great topic, but also epic folk songs who raised question that something "stinks" there... Vukashin is by detail if interested i.e. was part of the "old elite" by family as well as many except those who ruled Epirus, Thesaly, part of Macedon (Hlapen, Oliver maybeetc) - so Lazar's family, Altoman's, Branko's and almost all had "wolf" name root in family, interestingly

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-11 12:53, Monday

think this is relatively solid English article of one noble whose life and service spanned from literally Miluten to Urosio "the weak" and who gave last important ruler of quasi-Serbia :) who was also Venetian citizen, "richest one" in Burgundy and many more )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branko_Mladenovi%C4%87

think it is nice for readers as it compiles it much - from family that (some theorise) originating around Ragusa, old-hare old-core one, to related to initial Nemanides etc. to nice mention of Romanian (Ruma as we say), to having some epic lands later etc. so it summarize it all... not the best of all English articles and hardly the most important nobles for Dusciano, Kesar par excellence - but really has it all in some sense and Brits (Engs) known for "good historical nose" even grabbed his insignia and collectables ; so in London now i think still (do not follow but they promised good movie a la Bond in which Branko is brought back to life in London, with blondes - Ridley only realized first part of the deal)... anyway, to cut it short - why likeable and related to our Roman - to say Felix Flavia story - as family (even if having horned helmets as main maybe) kept that lion symbolism, enforced on Felix - also seen on "Steve Wonder" Dechani church (supervised by Dushan) and so on, not main arguably regal symbol od Serb crowns, but a bit hidden and sided one as i explained as there were many Dukljanin's (Diocletianus) agents around :)

who ever added or took part in this English article, nice one as having much for our readers.... really do not know if i posted it before, but nice one (surely talked about belt in London, remember) So Felix symbol "last seen" in London, and our symbol kept there as well, nice one, also before disappeaarance, how not to be likable and why we are so great... join and expand lovely stories

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-11 20:44, Monday

"sluga" is BTW if you looked at text, probable/proposed Old Celtic origin word, maybe present in English today in different meaning... in some old sense more military meaning, like those relating possible "serv-(ice)" or some units, not slave or similar, while we had many Celtic slaves ;... not accepted by all as only solution as Celtic word but to me why not, could be likely etc. especially why not for us whose lands were once under Celtic tribal confederations and strong Roman units etc... so, wasn't some pejorative term or of low importance, maybe military more. All those titles we had before reinstalling "serbokrators" "kesars" and simlar, should not be literally understood as someone just "serving table", "carrying cups and dishes" - as they included other functions, like in Rome - officer school, elite units, representing king in some negotiations and rituals etc.

Interesting is indeed, if you looked at links of other families, those 3 brothers: Miloš, Vojislav and Altoman, above average and 10+ grade for inventivness to parents, stands out :) ...but we had some nice and often rare in other tribes. something else though, language showed some strange transformations (not my subject again) and seems that B transformed into M and vice versa, esp. Ml (besides common and omnipresent V and B etc.) so there are examples that Mladen was sometimes Latinized and scrypted Bladin and Bladinus and similar or (again) vice versa... was a case similar (not our transformation, more western from today Slovenia towards here) on "Venice" exonym. (as we used Old Latin in caves) So it went from Vente into Bente to Mlete, really ; We mostly called them - Blente....and mamas, kiss

some foreign historians even claimed that our nobility used nicknames instead of names, so Mrnjan (Margnanus in Latin) or Hrelja or someone like had really different names, all nice subjects.... while revival or popularity of Vuks, Lazars, Duscianos and Lucas (who is that?) is alright, miss Pribac, Baldovin and Altomans....

...that much on small lesson on our titles and names - what i really miss are days when we in one family, two brothers and father had wife from Conti di Segni (Innocent relative) Dandola the bomb, and Anastasia from Romeans, beats me why but we rule.... happy days.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-12 15:41, Tuesday

for the end, music to go with my posts, for atmosphere besides film parts...

for glorious/nice moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PawZW-lRls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fBrB1h0EJQ

and for sad moments, like death of Ursus, by treason or not... or demise of Felix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wia9fWovdW0

etc. generally great album and thematic, with few more great tunes, nice it called one "kesar" :yes

so, Brits and their imagination and ability to sell stories - not only as everyone speak (more-less) their language, not only becuase they have "big brother" able to finance and spread their stories with studios, but also due to their imagination before films and globalism was even there, always say... what about, our stories are great and descriptions. Dusciano's inner circle and story is example, not only himself as rare phenomenon, but one with rising lion on helemet around, other with long horns, third with some "ales" (wings) on helmet, in black etc ; but also colorful foreigners you can imagine, Germans, "Spanish commander", Italian capitano with one eye :) Macedon Greek like from old story and similar ) Very cinematic, just one detail around him i.e. HIM, the "serbo-astro-krator" ; ...no need for bloody battles and action at all, such "inner circle" and good dialogues enough for story...

recognize good stories, we have them since Scordiscii. and when connect ours, national descriptions, with Felix and principesse Italiane, even greater :) so beside my liking of old themes and giving investigative tone, which was my point hoping someone has some story - good imagination course as well

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-12 21:50, Tuesday

while in the mood, more graphic or plastic example... ;

average to none story about Vukashin: loyal, goes to church, listen to emperor, fight enemies, little booze :) and dies gloriously...

great or very good about Vukashin: small noble, rises due to Dushan's good will, afriad of him, gets greedy, enlarges, patron dies, wants crown, kills Urosh (and whole great royal line), battle, dies horribly but gloriously ; family disappears, doom

you get it, not my invention ; ...but indeed is like that and sells it in cinemas worldwide... with apologies to Vukashin if he was best of all, doubt he even died in river - but i reserve small doubt for treason as indeed is better 3rd tune above by Jo to goes with scenes of him and hitmen killing Urosio :) ...you get idea, what is dramatic history and how much we have it ;... but one in 40 years old movie about quasi treason of Vuk is totally undramatic and totally boringly made, unatmospheric - not easy to see that this story is better, great costumes and atmosphere and Oscars fall in :) ....while on subject, ending, what i dislike with western cinema is constant recycling of same stories and characters, so refreshing )

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-13 14:39, Wednesday

since you all can't hold your breath :) and subject is on table as future "Best..." in many Oscarian categories (would be pleased with conquering Venice) - what bothers me most about Vukašin is that quasi fresco from church, usually used (sorry for mini version).... looks very old, we would say weak, tired man in his 70s ; but according by some quasi knowledge and logic (will explain) he might have been man in strength and around 50 at worst... i'd say maybe even younger, towards his 40s as Dusciano first appoints him only around 1350 (maybe because he moves then if family wasn't in Serbia already expanded by then) but maybe younger, if not true his story of Hum family and certainly not true that their father worked for 'Elen of Caroling as some English article claims, he and brother are 3-4 generation from that Margnanus if related at all - if not from that regions, our kings subject usually they would start appointing local officials in 20s etc so during death in 40s ;... but quasi representation tell about old man, probably much later painted and in some religious motive, so not how our Vukashin looked, was (maybe, what if church painters are right and he was old) more younger looking, should be

Lupusius Margnanus - guilty as hell :) .... nobody forced him to demand that "king" title :) beautiful and powerful story in that artistic way & why so in line with tune which is so epic-dramatic and climactic... we have many and that rule of HIM and chaos is so great for whole cicle of great films, treason, revenge, struggle, greed... but one of most powerful stories you'll understand why it had to be him...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-14 17:44, Thursday

...one small addition today on how tricky is genetical data research and some conclusions from it (as linguistics, as demonstrated) is text i read recently mantioning some recent research by international scientists collecting some data in ex-Roman settlements here i.e. Viminacium (possible Moesia Superior "capital" and base of VII Claudia) in concrete (but as wider study from Greece and isles to here)... not so interesting nor important, but where is trick... they found little genetic material from Italian peninsula in graves (or tombs, remains i don't know) but there is repeated find of some that might belong to some central Asian people (with deformed skulls due to some practice) for example, genetic material of person from today Sudan and similar.... i said to myself "hey, hey, but wait..." but texts mentioned it itself later - Romans, Italics during peak and Prnicipate i.e. early empire used cremations mostly ;) ...so you get it why you can't find Italic traces in say time of Trajanus here... later, when burials with bodies become practice, Rome was in decline, empire divided and border expecting invasion any time ) so Italics rarely moved here, i'd say.... but doesn't mean that in I-II c Roman (italic) element was much greater, via legions, settlers or officials etc.... there is also detail (known) in study that Iron age material is similar of that of Asia Minor/Anatolia and is generally area of it beginning much sooner than in rest of Europe - but deatil is that (in by some criticized genetic study) genetic material of Etruscans quasi shows some big similarity of that of Anatolia as well (forget about modern Turkey and later migrations, so do not claim that Etruscans used 10,000 Turkish words))... and don't forget Roman story about founding of Rome by people from that area ; ...Ruma is ours, whatever you conclude...

so that small trick as many with genetical data, cremations at peakas point of paragraph... and that others often dragged Roman heads as far as Denmark :) very carefuly with genetics and lingustics i always say, lots of tricks there, but genrally not important that much.... or another example - I can claim that Italians were majority of foreigners in medieval Rascia but ther is no genetic material - well they were "people of mission", lived for decadesand migrated to die in their native ecosystem :) Miluten maybe rised 5000 Italians, conquered Jerusalem and then disbanded them ; ...just hope they were not "auto-da-fe(d)" so there is lack of genetic evidence ;( ...and so on. what is "important" that Italians (all up to Gabriele) for example often considered our historic figures and even monuments as "our" (i.e. both our and their) seen that mentioned on few places, which is nice practice, whatever behind... there is some logic behind as ruling line culminating with Urosio I (Dando-Nemanide) was mixed Servo-Italian (and others)... i like how they put it, our Rome and "our" Nemnides of peak :yes ...but let's say we talked it, so repeat but cute one.... give your subject, my principessa

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-14 22:01, Thursday

also, turning back to great subject, English wiki has this line i missed yesterday but is completely in line with my previous post on Vukashin's age
Possibly, the family had left Hum, which had been part of the Serbian Kingdom, after the Bosnian conquest of Hum (1326), and settled in Livno (where Vukašin was allegedly born)
John Van Antwerp Fine, mentioned on "Margnanus" topic. As explained by me, there is logic that Vukashin was born after that date - hence being young, able and strong in time of alleged date, in his 40s maybe... glad someone thinks similar as me - as said Fine had few superb lines... why important, first to question depiction on fresco - and second to we to have young antagonist for future great film :) really, great, valuable line but nothing is sure, for those who care about subject in cinema antcipation ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-15 15:34, Friday

getting to king with some intent in our XIII and XIV c was very hard, killing him, so it had to be "hunting accident" or some trick by Vukashin to get him "in the open" or with guard off ; ...so even (as text confirms) story about Urosh I "arrest" by Hungarians or some elements close to them is in doubt and not confirmed... sons being only exception :) as they could gather critical support to clash with fathers/kings and eventually besiege them as in few cases, but powerful nobles rarely/never so we had no noble advance on king in that period, not even during Urosh V... in defense of all those prominent nobles after Dushan's who qausi looked down on son, they were more likely to get on each other's throats than Urosh etc. only real threat to his rule was from Simeon Sinisha, who was indeed royal and closest male relative to him, but actually episode shows that Urosh not only gained support of other nobles, but also pushed him back deep south - showing that he wasn't seen as "weak" by big nobles who gave him "parliament" support etc.... when and what was moment of Vukashin's "transformation" and belief that he could launch campaigns both west (as quasi planned) and east of Macedon is unknown, and why exactly and was there some verbal confrontation with Urosh... in any way lovely story so some technicalities to add

also "like" 50,000+ by him and brother in battle with Turks, and they represented one of some 10 huge feudal areas of empire... with such strength multiplied by all feudal areas (even if some were maybe weaker in numbers than Vukashin's) combined empire would be in Paris and London in no time, forget Thrace :) ...so hardly above 5000 ; by him and brother Uglesius, but who knows maybe we were so powerful so dispute was where to direct such power able to conquer world - and in the end nobles decided to kill each other instead :) ...in any way again, it is great story and why not touching details that were liked even by international artists all to Aldiss. Vukashin even rapidly gotten old on painting, of all worries and conspiracy theories around :) lovely and epic - to note again that Gabriele wrote himself that his fav epic poem is that where Marco (Vukashin's son) with discuss says to father and uncle that empire belongs to Urosh ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-24 22:21, Sunday

BTW (since story is great) i tried to look at some things in past days, even contacted some Bosnian (Serbs and Croats) historians to see what clues they have about Margnanus/Merg/Mrnjan and how likely is that Vukashin's family is indeed from today Herzegownia ; - then region called Hum by Serbs etc. and similar if there is something new... no much help in that sense nor much material for investigations as expected maybe as if there was, probably some more precise story would be known by now... but anecdote.

I said in moment something like "...we are talking time/rule of Miluten?" (as I nicked our king Stefan Milutin Caroling, half-French, 25% Italian by maternal lines) and was asked in surprise "which Miluten?" :lol was funny moment, they unaware of nick... but there is more to story as names of similar soundings in old Serb and Croat scripts (let alone Latin where forms were super as talked) persons known sometimes as Milutin were spelled indeed, and without my joke to sound more French - as Militen, even Milten and similar... there in Hum they had even some famous "robber baron" and brigand Milten who after Dusciano strenghtened own rule "oscillated" from loyalty to Bosnia towards Serbian crown and similar, although family maybe not being Rascian per se (who knows)... in anyway Dushan pacified him and strictly forbade any attacks on traders, Ragusa and similar - another of trully many great deeds of personally great man, again such shame that central figure of our middle ages was not "sainted" (who cares) and in that unimportant way paid respect to, of all Nemanides... great ruler and (as someone who had his alleged - we can't be sure as original did not survive - codex as subject) forget about those norms and paragraphs they took from Byzantines as they were just written from them as well as terms "Latin heresy" and many norms were never used in reality nor harsh persecution of "Latins". Just Byzantine norms on paper, nor his words nor reality. But ruler of great "tact", diplomatic sense and totally non brutal... maybe his size scared people ; ... and great lover of Venice, so ruler of great taste as well :) Anyway, to come back to "robber barons" of course he said something about "cutting off their ears" if they do not stop brigand activity )

...anyway personal praise of Dusciano aside (always considered him greatest of all "saints" even if lacking title) not bad to repeat - but was funny "which Miluten" and when i expalined who Miluten is, so to share as we laughed. As for Vukashin's story nothing new nor able to be investigated much... let it be the end or addition - as always if you have anything personally interesting about middle ages, most interesting time (Eco, Gabriele etc would agree) XIV c, or anything interesting about Rome (could share some more topics but this is the end) before Dicletianus, be my guest and you know roughly what are my interests, my principessa, great care and respect for Italian sources :yes ... i hope you catched something interesting here in my many stories, and hopefully maybe even some inspiration in really some cinematic stories we had from Rome to 1459 and how you can "spice" them in dramatic way - not to sound like others do not have stories but ours from the era among top :) have nice holidays.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-27 13:07, Wednesday

as always though, during these days there is that constant repeat in press, talk and practice of dates and to me a bit irritating repeat how difference of marking of Christmas is either "catholic Christmas" or "Russian tradition" (in other date)... the difference is not canonical nor about that, nor those ortho-catholic (as all orthodox churches consider themselves as talked) it is calendarical, while known generally - not bad to repeat what is that Julian calendar, when was used and by whome etc i never said "catholic Christmas" or "orthodox one" prefered Julian and Gregorian, or "old and new"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar

except those in the east, last western-E countries that adopted full change were county Lorraine (ruled by exiled Polish ruler and then after France took over - not to say annexed - it was last change) and Britain shortly before... as always interesting subjects, historically and culturally, knowledge is power ; ...what is interesting for us - talking about other traditions - is that texts explicitely name Serbs and Serbian practice as one of the few (and fastest) that abandoned use of month names i.e. accepted Latin forms of all in that linguistical corpus... talked before also about start of new year (in previous years) and it changed in our practice through history maybe from March (maybe even celebrating it on birth of our kesar Augustanus on 23 spetember)) to maybe spetember to 1 january, mixed tradition of 1st... and so on, interesting subjects... what is interesting for us is, as talked, how we changed from country whose prince of first important ruler (Namanio, Nemanja) was married into papal family ; to only that had Baldovin as high ranking state official (while for example Bulgars and Greeks hated name)), from having perfect relations with Franciscans, Italian principessas etc etc even that mentioned among first to use Latin months only - to what we are today :) ...not so crucial nor important - to come back to Julian (Ave!) and Gregorian calendars use (always imprtant to be unique in world of clones, so our priests are unique, non-conformist)) but as said always nice to know some details...

also read sometimes some Italian headlines in press, so this year something else raised storm in their regions - but that for some other time :) ...so, it is calendarical issue, not "catholic or orthodox Christmas", probably one of the subjects Dusciano and Nichephoras Greghoras (the troll!) discussed many, many years ago as well :) ...we all use Gregorian in everyday life so, like papal visit on which he sits on small stool :) beside our serboastrokrator on big throne, is alright... but i like the way it is in some "not being like other kids" way, while subject of not huge importance, just irritating naming & personal addition on how Serbs were different from many others, historically

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-27 16:49, Wednesday

and again - super interesting subject till today as we all see - and since i mentioned him many times as he was "interesting" if not important that much as Kantakouzenos for example ; and some even consider him pioneer of that calendae change that "other Gregor" implemented more-less - so Nichephoras Greghoras and "my problem" with him is not his personality (although young then remeber him as nice person and nice dialougue with our king-imperor)) and work, reforms or ideas - my problem with him is and why "troll" totally incorrect historical facts he gave about our figures, like some daughters and marriages, descriptions and similar... when it comes to other things - mystery is and unpreserved what exactly he & Dushan talked about and certainly both had animosity with Kantakouzenos - in case of our emperor/king to extent that maybe he prepared invasion "just to get, or de-throne" John K. ; ...in philosophical way, maybe both agreed on other things, so again "troll" as many facts about our king not true ; ...both him and John, being Greeks above all

and again also, Dushan is interesting figure as he was one who found himself in conflict with both main churches of the time - Constantinople and Avignon and as said "under double anathema", but that would be repeat - but how not to like fact per se... generally, think that many details and narrative about him and Miluten are product of later times, untrue or simply wrongly interpretated in historiography - on the contrary i think they had some more open channels and relations with French, than generally considered - but not subject now and finished... what is nice addition is about Nichephoras and "proud" that we had role in events that indirectly led to reforms, maybe almost as indirect as building of Galata tower etc etc ;

(and yeah, comically, i forgot that our later rulers, despots, took part in "catholic reaction" to early movements like Husites, as "catholic crusaders")) ...oh, what few Italian girls can do to us... :) (if we disregard Rome fondation, but long forgoten as our in our caves)) Trully nice stories, who ever thinks that it is not relevant, even indirectly, till today and not fins subjects likable, is wrong... anyway, wanted this to be about Rome, but in lack of support why not explaining some other super stories, sure at least in Italy they would find this nice to tell... ; the end.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-28 14:52, Thursday

...to explain, in this holiday season as nice finish, to my readers in Apeninia above all why I consider it "cool" or "non-conformist" or even emotional in a way... well, as Romanista I always say that day when we (as sons of Servius) abandon dinar (form of denarius, our currency) and Julian calendar (even in liturgical sense) will be emotionally tough ; ...that thay will surely come, maybe after 2100 as text claims when there will be some calculational and astronomical change in Julian calendar ; but will come and when it comes it will be death of part of ourselves.... i know that for many of you association with Servius and Rome is slavery, conquest, genocide but for us Rumans it is much more emotional and nostalgic issue and why we hold with nails and teeth to some of Roman symbolism like aquilas (just look at sisters Italians, they changed it with star)) dinarii and Julian calendaric reforms, gladly remember Trajanus' bridge and highway as greatest engineering feats this country had to this day etc...

without any sarcasm, there is something lovely in it, as said few times in talks and humor with Italians they also notice that we have more Roman symbolism then they, some words we pronunce "more Latin" then they etc not to come back to subjects i touched of Gabriele's "scary line" or symbolism of Aurelius in our horse monuments etc... so for humor in perfect time of the year for subjects - I share old photo from my grandad's collection for all followers... "Juluis Kesar declaring new calendar as official in Rome", nice photo. My grandad was Praetorian so he stands behind Kesar in time of taking ; ....let it be the end on my tries to animate you principessa - i'm out but you can always join, really few questions on subjects if you read something...

(screen from some British TV-film/drama about Caesar, August, Brutus, Popaye etc. and events, declaration of dictatorship or some triumph - but could have been declaration of new calendar as well)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-29 14:16, Friday

so yes, as i mentioned him more than few times - and obviously there is interest in thread :p (but you should join) - to name signor who made monument and how surely there is hidden symbolism there... even i forgot the name few times, pardon, but is quite important

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Pazzi

sister and quite brave man for both his works in Toskany and Serbia in given time and given conditions :yes ...so, i say today when times changed, we should make it open and known to all, without any hidden messages and conspiratory behaviour... and even annex in great cerremony that would shock whole world :) (Serbia anneing Italy as own, or vice versa)) ....really and no humor there, i propose (it could be new Belgrade with lots of space, not old town) some big bullevard named after Ana Dandolo, crossing with Flavia Felix street & modest palace/monument on intersection dedicated to "Serbo-Italian friendship" and monument to her and similar... can't say how would things develop if Vukan and his Conti di Segni cutie became first king of Rascia and how different would it be - but for me there is not doubt that few marriages, starting with Ana, created this country, more-less. Dare to say that without that line we would maybe end as some "tiny Montenegro" or not on map at all, but daring thought...

there were many ideas in XIX and XX c how to make city "more interesting" (remember some Belgian/French architect as with some nice ideas in start of XX for example, but there were others etc) but none ever realized... so my addition, no matter how it finishes as idea. Italy, our most important country and more symbolism from Felix till Ana D. and similar.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-29 22:47, Friday

since i doubt that 90% of people are really reading links (might be wrong and well done to 10%) Enrico won the competition (no, not that one!*) the sculptor due to intervention of one our official (almost minister) even though he placed second on international competition of some 17 entries, mostly from abroad... First placed was one sculptor from Vindbona (Vienna) but our state pushed for Enrico (trully great that he entered competition) and his work. It gives his location and whole story extra interesting sounding as Vindbona artisit was rejected (where Marcus obviously did not die but we great and glorious give as sign of grace)). Interesting if you followed my whole stroy in this thread and why e-Tuscan (actually not by birth but lived there long) had to do it in eyes of our ministers etc. So i say, our and Italian little Roman conspiracy ; ...trully, when you hear them form me, many ties and connections with us and Dante's region, gives stories really classy "schmeck" - and as i explained it is no coincidence, Dante knew us well, some argue that he seen or even used our dinars for short time, then comes "lilly" and all (Etruscan and our naming of small town "Ruma") lovely, but hope explain of how Enrico ended first is likable

probably as last in this calendar year (Gregorian)) this... city opened international competition for by me proposed big monument to Felix... we recieved some preliminary propositions from foreign artist :) ...would be cool, generally whole story and our and Roman tie (as said not such novelty as Brits entertained idea for some time) is probably not greatest story for world or scientific mystery, but is quite cute, interesting for us two and able to be worked on - and many details fit... in any way, relations with Italy are not depending on it only, as said, even later in medieval times we created great symbiosyss...

* but that one also won our competition :) and why queen's Ana last name so great ;

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2023-12-30 18:22, Saturday

...just to add, to eternal sceptics, Dante did not mention in his works only Miluten, he also mentioned one of our silver mines separately (not Nuovo Bardo, some other) leading to some Italian and our theories that indeed our dinars in one shorter moment were in circulation in parts of Tuscany... hence Dante put our mine in "paradise" in some allegoric way as kind of "gratitude" that our money circulated during many crises in Florence (for example). Let's leave that to art critics, but might be possible as "many" Italians went here, our nobles bought a lot of stuff (equipment as well) plus maybe Rascia was in some financial arrangements in his days, bankers etc. (ask Philip IV)) from Italy and there was circulation. that much we know

mentioning Philip, of course 'Elen, her daughter-in-law is equally (bit less in fact) important and deserving "bullevard" :) but we already have (they say unique in the world generally) monument to France where we presented it as naked girl so no more - afraid that it could go into perversions if another one is to be made :lol ...cute story, lovely, French and Italian girl made us so great, and it shall be more that their blood and determination is in character of Miluten and Dushan, than our male line :) classy, what to say 2 nice countries (architecturally and historically, socially and economically and culturally - debatable)) and we as some distant bastard :) ...we are finished here, but stories more than explained, glad you learnt something

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2024-01-01 13:32, Monday

yes, like "Vindbona concert" I'd like to start this year with "high culture" (not per se best thing in life)) i.e. with Dante :) As sort of new year gift, hope it will be "happy" in some sense, but never know, for some surely, for some last ; etc... I have some "brochure", edition, not really book i recevied electronically with all commentaries/redactions of sort of his famous work in Italian (and rarely Latin) and have this subject prepard for some time, so just found it and to share, since we are on subject... guess such things are present online as well so you can search it if not wanting to depend on me ; but generally no mistakes there as i got it hopefully - with my commentary on commentary, for fun and addition...

it is, esp. medieval commentaries/redactions interesting for me & any lover of subjects as it is in part historical, cultural, geographical etc etc. addition and in a way source, and some very funny as i've chosen. It shows what Italians of the era knew about us and similar... i don't use/able at Italian, those are even medieval (and vulgar)) forms, nor Latin but can do few lines and with it more than some other languages, and there are faulty translators - so i will give only some unliterar sense or "free translation", not true one, complete and similar, nor subject here - more for fun and some historical sense. "Our famous line" i.e. about Miluten and rest is in common, group 3 verses lined 139-141 of "Canto XIX" of "Paradiso" together with short mention of Portuguese and Norvegian king, some wondered why but obviously without any connection between them... generally accepted that "Dante's aquila" talks abuout Dinysius or Denis or Diniz of Portugal, while for Norvegian king not so accepted who is king in question and not universally agreed that it was Hakkon V (who ruled in time of making) some theorise that he even goes back to long ruling king Hakkon IV and similar... unlike Miluten, it is also not agreed why he mentiones them at all etc. - but not subject and since they are together in verses, paragraphs contain comments on those two... for SU II Milutin it is almost universally agreed that he mentions him for "imitating Venetian money" i.e. competing it both here and in Italy, which was subject in times. BUT even 2 verses mentioning it are sort of controversial and disputed from comments like (Miluten) "seen badly Venetian money or seen evil of Venetian money" (ha visto) to "aggiusto" as "adjusted or copied badly Venetian money" so not so straightforward, plus some think there is some sarcasm or humor hidden inthere... (graves found in Italy "recently" showed that Italians did not have bad opinion about him, some were even knighted by Miluten and similar, mentioned on graves)... btw, finding these texts i reminded that it was Bologna esp. as center of "dinars contraband", but generally whole northern and central Italy in one time. Miluten did not falsificate Venetian ducat, nor grosso per se, but there was some political background as well as fear in Venice that line starting with Milutin (as presenting more southeastern regions) could be hostile to Venice, but wasn't true as seen on Dushan's example who hoped to forge alliance with Venice etc etc etc. just to repeat...

so let's start for some fun, Miluten btw for those liking some symbolism like Vespasianus and Vesuvianus for example, died in same year as Dante ;

first commentaries/redactions started to circulate shortly after Dante's death so first i chose is this Jacopo della Lana, circa 1324-28, shortly:
Norvegia, cioe Norvech. E quel di Rascia: cioè che non fe' la sua moneta, che per veneziana, così giusta come i Veneziani; e pero dice: che mal aggiusto il conio.
nothing special there, just as it was one of first... it says "Norway is Norvech" and first explains how Miluten "adjusted" it wrongly

so called (and famous) "Ottimo Commento" from circa 1333 (Dushan early time) has much more words on subject:
E quel di Rascia. Che male ha visto il conio ec. Di costui e de' suoi si puote dire peggio, che l'Autore non scrive. Questi, avendo uno figliuolo, e d'esso tre nipoti, per paura che non gli togliessero il regno, li mandòe in Costantinopoli allo imperadore suo cognato; e scrissegli, sì come si dice, ch'egli cercavano sua morte, e che gli tenesse in pregione. E così fece, tanto che per orribilitade del carcere il padre de' tre perdèe quasi la veduta; li due il servivano, ed il terzo fu rimandato allo avolo; finalmente il padre uccise l'uno de' due suoi figliuoli, e con l'altro si fuggìe di carcere e tornòe in Rascia, e prese il padre, di cui l'Autore parla, e fecelo morire in prigione. Poi e' poco resse il regno; chè da' suoi figliuoli ricoverò il cambio.
it deals shortly with Portugal and Norway, not knowing why Dante put them at all, while it shows generally deeper knowledge of events and dynastic changes in Rascia, although explained in story and maybe untrue way... so no translation by me, free one - it talks about Miluten's son quasi loosing eye-sight in prison, further struggle, overthrow of father and how Dechanski also was overthrown by son as some "i heard" way, non historical (and not mentioning his marriages at all, nor anything controversial there)... but nonetheless shows how contemporary Italians of knowledge were very good informed and knowledgeable about Rascia and events, was topic there at peak

next is Pietro Alighieri, Dante's son, writing in Latin in two versions from 1340s and 1350s, shortly:
Item rex Portugalliae, et Norvegiae, et Rassae, qui facit fieri ducatos ut civitas Venetiarum, cognoscentur.
inde dicit de rege Portugalli et Norvesie et rege Rascie, qui olim sub signo et conio Venetorum fabricavit adulterinam monetam ut dicit textus
he doesn't comment much, just repeat words as he think it was meant - merely interesting and choosen by me as he used two Latin versions for Serbia "Rassa" in first and "Rascia" in second - as for rest he says that he "saw badly ducats of city Venice" or "makes them badly", "forging" etc

it is mentioned in further commentaries of XIV c. but uninterestingly, next longer in Latin is "Benvenuto da Imola" circa 1375-80:
E quel. Hic aquila colligit tres reges simul, quorum duos describit simpliciter, tertium vero describit ab infami vilitate quadam; unde dicit: E quel di Portogallo, scilicet, rex; est enim Portus gallus unum de quinque regnis Hispaniae, e di Norvegia, idest, rex Norvegiae; est enim Norvegia regio in septemtrione in parte frigidissima vicina tramontanae, ubi sunt dies brevissimi; et inde veniunt boni falcones, si conosceranno lì, idest, in praememorato libro Dei; quasi dicat: etiam apparebunt vilitas et avaritia eorum, ibi. Et subdit: e quel di Rascia, supple, bene cognoscetur in illo libro, tamquam vilior et avarior praedictis; quod probat per evidentissimum signum extremae vilitatis avaritiae, dicens: che male aggiustò 'l conio di Vinegia. Hoc dicit quia falsificabat ducatos, quos cudit nobilissima civitas Venetiarum.
explains where is Portugal, where Norway (famous for falcons it says among first) while through whole this period Italians still did not find needed to explain where is or what is Rascia, still relatively known for them... in other way, mentiones "sin" of "bad adjustment of Venetian coin" etc.

next one is Francesco da Buti, circa 1385-95 real "pearl":
E quel di Portogallo; cioè e lo re di Portogallo, Lì; cioè in quello libro, si cognosceranno: imperò che vi furno scritte l'opere sue: Portogallo è lo regno di Castilia, che altri lo chiama Castella, e di Norvegia; cioè e quel, cioè re di Norvegia, Lì; cioè in quello libro che detto è, si cognosceranno; cioè amenduni questi regi di Portogallo e di Norvegia si cognosceranno nel detto libro, perchè vi saranno scritte l'opere loro viziose e virtuose: Norvegia è uno fiume posto nell'India, e quel di Rascia; cioè e lo rege di Rascia anco si cognoscerà quine, cioè nel detto libro, perchè vi saranno scritte l'opere sue: Rascia è nella Schiavonia, Che; cioè lo quale re, mal à visto; cioè mal per lui àe veduto, il cogno di Vinegia; cioè lo cogno del ducato che si batte in Vinegia: imperò che, secondo che i' ò, elli à falsificato quella moneta, cioè lo ducato dell'oro che si batteva e cugnava in Vinegia, che è cità marina posta in capo di Lombardia in sul mare Adriaco. Potrebbesi anco intendere ch'elli fusse sì vago del ducato dell'oro, che per quello facesse quello che non si debbe, e così male a suo opo arebbe veduto la detta moneta.
it really made me laugh as i think (if understood) that it said in moment "Norway is river in India" :) ...it is also first time that commentators start using some geographical determinat for Rascia it says "it is in Schiavonia/Slaviclans/Slavoniclands etc"... so as our state declined and disappeared, Italians started to use terms to explain where was/is that country (later many times in futher centuries mentioned as in Schiavonia or in Dalmatia) why interesting as first, except comical part on Norway... on Miluten, again long sentences explaining "badly seen/adjusted Venetian money" but it wrongly says that money in question was golden...

this one is also funny in a way so i choose, Chiose Vernon, circa 1390s:
Ancora dicie di don Iacopo re di Raona e di don Piero re di Maiolicha zio di don Federigho e di don Iacopo delle sue viltà e avarizie. Dicie ancora del re di Bruggia e del re di Tarsia il quale contraffe' i duchati di Vinegia solo per avarizia. E qui fa l'altore conclusione che beati questi regni se più non si lasciano signoreggiare a cota' signori e regi e tiranni.
puts many verses (including those about Philip, which Dante in part XIX mentions similarly as Miluten "bad money") till end and is fun as commentary author mixed all (not sure what behind) and as seen probably Norvegia with some Bruggia and Rascia with king of Tarsia :) who forge Venetian money out of greed and even mixes later verses where Dante sarcastically mentions Hungary with new Angevine rule in making,hoping thatall those kingdom will get rid of bad rulers, as interpretated by commentator, while it was separate and not common... fun one, "king of Tarsia", Miluten

next i chose is of Johannis de Serravalle, again Latin from circa 1416-17:
Modo tangit regem Portugallie, qui parum fuit iustus, qui vocabatur Fernandus (Portugallia est pars Hyspanie), de Norvegia (Norvegia unde veniunt falcones boni), Rascie (Rascia est in Alamania, conterminat cum Ungaria). Rex Rascie fecit falsi{fi}care conium Venetiarum, unde valde fuit diffamatus de hoc. Ideo dicit textus: Et ille de Portugallia et Norvegia ibi cognoscentur, et ille de Rascia, qui male vidit conium Venetorum.
very fun again, wrongly names Portugal king as Fernando, Norway again repeated as place of good falcons and (haha) "Rascia is in Germany bordering Hungary (maybe heard about Stefan and Sigismund alliance of times), adding "badly seen Venetian coin"

and last from times i take (there were others but not interesting until late 1500s and then gap until 18. century and more modern times) is Alessandro Vellutello circa 1544:
E quel di Portogallo, il reame di Portogallo è parte di Spagna, Novergia sic. è posta molto sotto la plaga settentionale, Rascia è ne la Dalmatia, hoggi detta Schiavonia, e perchè il suo Re falsificava i ducati Venetiani dice, che aggiustò male il conio di Vinegia.
Portugal is part of Spain, Norway bellow northern regions, again explain that Rascia is in Dalmatia and in Schiavonia and last time in ages uses interpretation "adjusted badly Venetian coin". more as some completion and how geographical terms changed, as well as knowledge of country, than some funny part in this comment...

maybe some time (maybe even this evening or some days later) some funny modern commentaries on 3 verses if i choose some, but this is most interesting to me, might be to some of you with medieval "kink"... of course Dante is most called to explain what and why he put in those 2 verses, but this is valuable as source and as said how much Italian users knew about events. hope you like it, could always use some deeper Italian if needeing correct of my words feel free ;