Henry Kissinger 1923 - 2023

Place of the offtopic, funny or interesting threads, discussions about history, politics, movies and other war games.

Moderator: von Schweinewitz

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Henry Kissinger 1923 - 2023

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2023-11-30 10:14, Thursday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger

Like him or hate him, an unavoidable figure in world politics...

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Henry Kissinger 1923 - 2023

Post by Ale » 2023-11-30 13:41, Thursday

IDK, not care much for views and as we say "100 people, 100 opinions" (and almost everyone believing he/she is right, to add)) but interesting figure with own "fingerprints" or "statement" or "advice" on almost any global subject in newer history, or some prism through which all good and bad in modern world went and diffracted out ; ...really touched all from your ex-empire to mine (Portugal to Yugosarmia, example)... and so many memorable and controversial statements (worse than me) and quasi most memorable could be "...if it were not for the accident of my birth, I would be antisemitic" or "...any people who has been persecuted for two thousand years must be doing something wrong", talking about his Jewry, quasi sometimes )

he also, unimportantly for politics, mentioned Serbs and origins of conflicts few times etc. and read it few times myself in some paragraphs, point where i disagree with some statements of him is that he quasi said that regarding conflicts in my area is quasi "...there was peace when foreign empires ruled and during dictators a la emperor Titus" ; - well, i personally think that conflict between Albanians and Serbs are actually more product of (albeit people like our great Dusciano had role, but long time ago)) foreign empires and rule, so (for example) real negativism between two groups arised (by me) in times when some officals used "divide et impera" and favorised for example individuals who ruined Serb churches, burned relics etc etc. so they could counter-balance rebelions of Serbs in region, later Serbs looked to "revenge" for that etc.... world is complicated, so any sentence doesn't matter, maybe it is Felix legion and Diocletianus :) Also, some other empires (not to blame only Turks) pushed islamic population south when they liberated/re-conquested it before from Ottomans, not liking them in own countries but quasi-defending them in other places in XIX and XX c.... but other thing - he also, quasi by our press, had interesting questions for us, Serbs: "you started last century with conflict, you finished it with it, symbolically... what will you do in 21st?" :) well not only XX, we had same story in XIX, and XVII-XVIII (others empires), and in XIV-XV and XIII (hehe, we supported Venice on Constantinople policy)) and don't forget war against Boris of Bulgaria and his pre-rulers in IX - so it is our story, you get it, not XX c only....for XXI as he asks - except Uranus conquest - we decided to "leave the arena" as small nation and by the end of it not to be present anymore :) ...and quite honestly we had enough.... as for my additions, like history topics although maybe not so crucial today, and am not shy to put few lines )

as said interesting person, "prism" of modern events, mentioned in range of "Nobel laureate" to "war criminal deserving place in Hague" (like Franz Josef) - thanks for subjects although sadly small forum, but i try to give always some story or fun on your topics :yes ...generally much better than our sites and yellow pages giving topic of some Canadian rapper making music video in Albanian flag jackets etc :) and Albanians praising it as "celebration of their national holiday" while video shows some murky persons in "gangsta settings", so people are strange and what they like sometimes... in that sense, surely Henry and his many statements (not so important as policy maker for my state, btw) surely more political subject than rap videos... but i dislike politics and personally think than mid XV c was our last great act and "swan song"... what happened later and today, ask others as they are more important )

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Henry Kissinger 1923 - 2023

Post by Ale » 2023-11-30 19:22, Thursday

...must add, really for all our international readers not you, but maybe as far and uneducated as Canada :) etc - why i consider our fall and end in mid XV c as maybe one of greatest "swan songs" in history and true legendary as it was for contemporary people in Europe and further ; ...if you know true meaning of phrase "swan song" you will understand... well as "swan song" was disapearance just few years (decade, two) after our ruler was titled "richest of Europe" by very "advanced" Burgundian chronicler (maybe French or Occitan), due to fra Mauro map putting even today obscure places as town "Stalazzo" on it etc. ) and not only two-three huge battles with Turks. so I nominate it as greatest "swan songs" in history, or among few )

with respect to Henry and subject, on which i added enough, this for history lovers - unlike Romans who "swan songe-ed" (not at all in that sense) during decadence and huge decline, we did it almost at prime soon after peak and with open mouths of spectators on continent and Asia minor :) so it qualifies ; ...always add to Henry story and welcome