FAQ and Howto (OpenGen + Suite)

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: FAQ and Howto (OpenGen + Suite)

Post by randowe » 2021-10-04 14:02, Monday

whereis wrote:
2021-10-04 09:55, Monday
To add Helo transport for an infantry unit, what do I need to do?

I've created the transport units and added them for the inf unit in the no-organic transports checkbox. I've checked airborne for the inf. Still, the helicopters don't show up on the requisition menu as transport method for the inf, they should be available in the campaign's time period.
No-Organic transports, like naval transports, do not show up in the requisition menu. When you set everything in the efile, helo unit in helo transport class, you also need to make them available in the scenario. Load your scenario's "scenario summary view", in the corner down left you can set the number of naval, air, train and helo transports that are available to your units in that particular scenario.

If you want a helo transport to show up in the requisition menu you have to create a helo unit like it is a truck unit, so to speak. It has to be in the ground transport class in the efile. But the helo is using air movement of course. In this case the helo transport can be bought like a ordinary truck transport and stays with the (infantry) unit.

[EDIT: Don't forget matching transport weight]

Ol' Willy
Private
Private

Any campaign to play using captured enemy units?

Post by Ol' Willy » 2021-10-04 14:03, Monday

Damn, I always wanted to play a campaign where you can capture enemy equipment. Is there any campaign already done with this idea?

whereis
Captain
Captain

Post by whereis » 2021-10-04 20:25, Monday

randowe wrote:
2021-10-04 14:02, Monday
whereis wrote:
2021-10-04 09:55, Monday
To add Helo transport for an infantry unit, what do I need to do?

I've created the transport units and added them for the inf unit in the no-organic transports checkbox. I've checked airborne for the inf. Still, the helicopters don't show up on the requisition menu as transport method for the inf, they should be available in the campaign's time period.
No-Organic transports, like naval transports, do not show up in the requisition menu. When you set everything in the efile, helo unit in helo transport class, you also need to make them available in the scenario. Load your scenario's "scenario summary view", in the corner down left you can set the number of naval, air, train and helo transports that are available to your units in that particular scenario.

If you want a helo transport to show up in the requisition menu you have to create a helo unit like it is a truck unit, so to speak. It has to be in the ground transport class in the efile. But the helo is using air movement of course. In this case the helo transport can be bought like a ordinary truck transport and stays with the (infantry) unit.

[EDIT: Don't forget matching transport weight]
Thanks again! This solved my issues for now. The suite has so many features, it's hard to grasp at first. A powerful editor, for sure!
Team Leader of Team Totalitär (CCC4)

Team Leader of Team Viking - Battles in the North (CCC5)

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-10-04 20:37, Monday

You're welcome :howdy

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-10-04 20:48, Monday

Ol' Willy wrote:
2021-10-04 14:03, Monday
Damn, I always wanted to play a campaign where you can capture enemy equipment. Is there any campaign already done with this idea?
What do you mean with "can capture enemy equipment"?

Ol' Willy
Private
Private

Post by Ol' Willy » 2021-10-04 22:08, Monday

randowe wrote:
2021-10-04 20:48, Monday
Ol' Willy wrote:
Hmm, I seem to have replied in a different thread...

Anyway, someone was talking about making a campaign where a capture of some particular hex will reward you with "captured" equipment, i.e., enemy unit type.

Would be cool for a campaign where your purchasing selection is greatly limited and you have to "capture" equipment

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-10-04 22:21, Monday

Ol' Willy wrote:
2021-10-04 22:08, Monday
randowe wrote:
Ol' Willy wrote:

Anyway, someone was talking about making a campaign where a capture of some particular hex will reward you with "captured" equipment, i.e., enemy unit type.

Would be cool for a campaign where your purchasing selection is greatly limited and you have to "capture" equipment
Hmm yes, i think i saw your post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=477&p=8473#p8473 But now your post is gone there and posted here.
Anyway, i don't know of such a campaign you are looking for. Few campaigns might use proto trigger hex but you will rarely get captured equipment. In many German campaigns you can buy captured equipment, like the Soviet tanks for example, but that is pretty much "standart" :dunno

whereis
Captain
Captain

Post by whereis » 2021-10-05 21:35, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2021-10-04 22:21, Monday
Ol' Willy wrote:
2021-10-04 22:08, Monday
randowe wrote:

Hmm yes, i think i saw your post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=477&p=8473#p8473 But now your post is gone there and posted here.
Anyway, i don't know of such a campaign you are looking for. Few campaigns might use proto trigger hex but you will rarely get captured equipment. In many German campaigns you can buy captured equipment, like the Soviet tanks for example, but that is pretty much "standart" :dunno
There was actually an event like that in the campaign Speziale Brigade Bistroff, CC 61. In the scenario Counterstrike at Orel. The destruction of an enemy unit at 17,9 triggers a captured T-34 the next turn. But this was a one off event in a whole campaign.
Team Leader of Team Totalitär (CCC4)

Team Leader of Team Viking - Battles in the North (CCC5)

Ol' Willy
Private
Private

Post by Ol' Willy » 2021-10-06 00:20, Wednesday

whereis wrote:
2021-10-05 21:35, Tuesday
There was actually an event like that in the campaign Speziale Brigade Bistroff, CC 61. In the scenario Counterstrike at Orel. The destruction of an enemy unit at 17,9 triggers a captured T-34 the next turn. But this was a one off event in a whole campaign.
Cool, that's what I'm talking about

On an unrelated note, I see that OG supports PG2 efiles and campaigns; does it support PeG efiles and campaigns?

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Does OG support PeG efiles and campaigns?

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-10-06 17:00, Wednesday

Ol' Willy wrote:
2021-10-06 00:20, Wednesday
On an unrelated note, I see that OG supports PG2 efiles and campaigns; does it support PeG efiles and campaigns?
As you know, OG is "the evolution" of PG2 and was developed to allow all existing stuff made for PG2 playable (compatible), regardless the AI is not quite compatible.

Peg is a different engine with some similar rules but some very different (air missions, profile, etc.). Even the structures used with Peg's files are similar, but different, thus stock PeG file formats (efile, scenarios, campaigns, etc.) cannot be loaded into OG without converting/adapting to OG formats.

My good old friend George (aka MK43) reworked/converted Peg's efile and 2 campaigns to the OG format, which was a great task both for him and for me (required a lot of specific changes in the OG engine to allow that). His work was released as the EFILE_PEG, which is available into the installer, if you want to have a look. But do not expect to find air missions, progressive spot (profile) and some other features not existing in PG2/OG
:howdy
Image  Visit my site to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-10-06 18:22, Wednesday

Ol' Willy :howdy
If you want to play Peg campaigns on OG, you will find a lot of them on the Polish server These are the conversions and the work of Kowdar
http://opengeneral.pl/files/EFILE_GUS_PeG_5.06b.zip

Ol' Willy
Private
Private

Post by Ol' Willy » 2021-10-06 20:59, Wednesday

Thanks, guys!
OG already has a lot of campaigns, but as people say, how much do you need? Just one more!
I really like OG engine so I'm always looking for more stuff to play in it

RE: damn, that Gus_Peg efile is a serious business, so much campaigns...

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-10-06 21:52, Wednesday

If you are looking for more things to play - watch then
http://opengeneral.pl/files/EFILE_GUS_Wx_5.06.zip
http://opengeneral.pl/files/EFILE_GUS_5.06.zip

There you will find new and old campaigns (still with PG2)

Alberich
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Alberich » 2021-10-12 16:37, Tuesday

Ol' Willy wrote:
2021-10-06 20:59, Wednesday
Thanks, guys!
OG already has a lot of campaigns, but as people say, how much do you need? Just one more!
I really like OG engine so I'm always looking for more stuff to play in it

RE: damn, that Gus_Peg efile is a serious business, so much campaigns...
I played some of these campaigns. My experience with this is that you have to prepare for the difference between them and the original versions from People's General - the differences between games and efils.

Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Major Heinz » 2021-11-20 13:54, Saturday

How can I set up a unit and make it disappear after xyz turns? Is there a way. Or better disappear with a trigger.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-11-20 14:44, Saturday

Major Heinz wrote:
2021-11-20 13:54, Saturday
How can I set up a unit and make it disappear after xyz turns? Is there a way. Or better disappear with a trigger.
Set turn number when unit should be disappear:

Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Major Heinz » 2021-12-08 18:44, Wednesday

I have a little problem with the Kiew scenario in my campaign. In the east are three EH. Near of them are three soviet divisions which only should stop the german tank armies advance. Other units in the centre of the map later will try to escape later. But the soviets win the scenario by moving the units in the east to the EH. What stance should I use that the soviets do not move? Keep or defensive or I have to make this otherwise? :huh

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2021-12-08 22:04, Wednesday

Major Heinz wrote:
2021-12-08 18:44, Wednesday
I have a little problem with the Kiew scenario in my campaign. In the east are three EH. Near of them are three soviet divisions which only should stop the german tank armies advance. Other units in the centre of the map later will try to escape later. But the soviets win the scenario by moving the units in the east to the EH. What stance should I use that the soviets do not move? Keep or defensive or I have to make this otherwise? :huh
Anchor them? Or "Hold position till turn" x? Both of these options mean that these units will not move at all. Maybe that is too much 'not moving'? I don't know how to use stance to make them not wanting to escape if escaping a number of units is the victory condition :( Sorry.

Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Major Heinz » 2021-12-08 22:12, Wednesday

Yeah, I will use Hold position until turn xyz. But naturally it would be nicer, if the AI could move while defending terrain. But not if they cheat and win the scenario easily. :nyet :lol