OpenSuite Questions & Bugs - Latest exe: 5.0.72.2 (26-Sep-2019)

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

OpenSuite Questions & Bugs - Latest exe: 5.0.72.2 (26-Sep-2019)

Post by LuisGuzman » 2019-09-28 10:22, Saturday

Topic to report bugs and suggest improvements to OpenSuite.

This topic will be updated to include the change-log for the latest release

Latest release: 5.0.72.2
  • Now is possible to set base map to zero when designing scenarios
  • When purchasing recon class units, no transport was allowed, even if the unit can use it.
  • Improved 2 tooltips on Campaign editor related to initial prestige for human player.
  • Stations was not removed when importing a .map file
  • When editing railroads in a hex having a rail-station and all branches are removed, the rail-station is automatically removed too
  • MapView: Selecting an unit and Ctrl+RClicking in a second one, assign the selected unit to follow that 2nd one
  • MapView: Ctrl+RClicking in a selected unit who is following another one, makes the selected unit free (breaks following)
  • UnitsView: option to delete units is worked out to allow selecting more than one unit to remove. Suite will take care of containers/contained while removing. Please notice that "cut" function remains the same, copying the unit to clipboard first, but deleting units won't.
Can check the change-logs for previous versions at: http://luis-guzman.com/OpenSuite.html
Image  Visit my site to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: OpenSuite Questions & Bugs - Latest exe: 5.0.72.2 (26-Sep-2019)

Post by randowe » 2019-10-08 16:25, Tuesday

Hello :howdy

Just a question: Is it possible to customize the little icons in suite, which are showing the terrain labels?

The BOCAGE label is nearly impossible to distinguish from the CLEAR label as you can see in the picture atop. I did not find a file, containing the icons. Am i blind? Or are the icons stored within the OpenSuite.exe?

(Actually it looks better in the picture i posted due to the bad quality .jpg, but when i look at it in Suite, i can hardly tell the difference and that hempers me for 2 years now :lol If it is possible to customize the icons i would also make the train station sign smaller for my own purposes)

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2019-10-08 18:33, Tuesday

Currently is not possible to customize those icons :(

These icons are surely the older icons added to the first editor I made, when the scenario map was composed by these "tiles", probably around 1995 and they remain in Suite untouched since then. And they are still useful to mark specific terrains in the strategic view (which uses a fixed scale in order to fit these tiles), but obviously are outdated when used in normal view.

I am adding this item to the list of Suite wishes to see how I can improve it.
But be patient, I am very busy with real life lately.
:howdy

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-08 18:42, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2019-10-08 16:25, Tuesday
The BOCAGE label is nearly impossible to distinguish from the CLEAR label as you can see in the picture atop.
i agree with you, and in the past, as a temporal solution i used the "terrain filter" selecting all terrain except the "clear", which helped a lot. and now, since we have the "tiles" button, i always use it. remember, this button doesn't change the map image to tiles, just switch the view in suite

of course, if Luis supports the idea, these small terrain marks can reworked a bit, and you surely can do this job :)

edit:

»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:
Image Image Image Image

proud member of CCC teams Image

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2019-10-08 19:06, Tuesday

I use the terrain filters too. I also use the "Show Hexes same type as current terrain combo" very often, but when i have a clear map and want to make half of it bocage it is a hard task :lol
Ok, probably the problem was bigger than normal in the recent days because i was making two Normandie maps with lots of Bocage, but i was often wishing in the past that the CLEAR and BOCAGE icons would be more different. Anyway, it is not urgend and if Luis has the time to look into it some day in the future i will of course volunteer to try to make new icons. The best option would be an independet file, so every designer would be able to customize it, or i could create more than one set of icons. But, yeah, we'll see :yes As i said, it is not urgend.

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2019-10-08 19:31, Tuesday

Here it is the file embedded in the Suite to show terrain marks.

If you want to improve quickly I can replace in Suite and release an updated version, and later see how I can make it customizable

sympatyk
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by sympatyk » 2019-10-08 19:43, Tuesday

When I was making maps for PEG ... and based on these small terrain icons I had to do graphics - and they were similar -> I was substituting for other terrain icons (which was not used - often -> sand, ocean, custow ...)

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2019-10-09 15:13, Wednesday

I create the icons you see below. I hope they are more clear than the previous ones. It is hard to create a icon showing "Bocage", but now it should be easier to distinguish both icons :lol And the other icons as well.
I can not upload and show a bmp-file but when we come to an agreement i will send the bmp via email.
Maybe other map makers can have a say about their opinion too, because they stare at the icons a long time when making the mapx :yes

Duke Falcon
Private
Private

Post by Duke Falcon » 2019-10-09 17:36, Wednesday

randowe wrote:
2019-10-09 15:13, Wednesday
I create the icons you see below. I hope they are more clear than the previous ones. It is hard to create a icon showing "Bocage", but now it should be easier to distinguish both icons :lol And the other icons as well.
I can not upload and show a bmp-file but when we come to an agreement i will send the bmp via email.
Maybe other map makers can have a say about their opinion too, because they stare at the icons a long time when making the mapx :yes

When I were forced\necessary to use bocage I always set-up "custom" terrain-type where I wanted bocage then changed them with the global terrain change method. Now I saw your small icons I sure vote for them not because the old ones were so wrong but some of your new ones are much more, well, descriptive.

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2019-10-09 19:54, Wednesday

randowe wrote:
2019-10-09 15:13, Wednesday

Can get an updated from my site OpenSuite 5.0.72.3, using your new icons. The dialog is not updated though, only the icons on map are changed.

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2019-10-10 15:54, Thursday

LuisGuzman8 wrote: Can get an updated from my site OpenSuite 5.0.72.3, using your new icons. The dialog is not updated though, only the icons on map are changed.
Thanks! I think everybody needs some time to get used to the new incons after all the years. I have to get used to them myself.
I hope nobody will show up tomorrow, ask for customization, because the new icons are ugly :lol