FAQ and Howto (OpenGen + Suite)

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
hoza
Kadet
Kadet

Re: FAQ and Howto (OpenGen + Suite)

Post by hoza » 2023-01-29 16:03, Sunday

randowe wrote:
2023-01-29 14:19, Sunday
Profa wrote:
2023-01-29 14:15, Sunday
Is there a forum option to insert picture from computer?Not from web hosting?
I would like to add it for campaign report.
It is not possible to load pictures directly into the forum. You have to host them somewhere else first.
what easy free host would you recommend? :grumpy

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-01-29 16:22, Sunday

hoza wrote:
2023-01-29 16:03, Sunday
what easy free host would you recommend? :grumpy
I always use free german site https://abload.de/ But that is maybe not suitable for international visitors because of the language :huh
Image Slava Ukraini!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-01-29 18:38, Sunday

I use https://imgur.com/
Is free and easy to use.
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2023-05-02 18:19, Tuesday

Greetings everyone!

Question:
Could helos use carriers?
Considering that "helo" class is essentially "flak" in MW e-file I thought it is better if I ask if they could deploy on carriers or not.

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-05-03 12:10, Wednesday

Duke Falcon wrote:
2023-05-02 18:19, Tuesday
Greetings everyone!

Question:
Considering that "helo" class is essentially "flak" in MW e-file I thought it is better if I ask if they could deploy on carriers or not.
Well it depends how you configure helos and containers ...

The best way would be if you test your helos with the container you want ... make a single test scenario with a couple of helos and containers and you will see clearly if they fits your needing.
:2cents

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2023-05-07 19:21, Sunday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-05-03 12:10, Wednesday
Duke Falcon wrote:
2023-05-02 18:19, Tuesday
Greetings everyone!

Question:
Well it depends how you configure helos and containers ...

The best way would be if you test your helos with the container you want ... make a single test scenario with a couple of helos and containers and you will see clearly if they fits your needing.
:2cents
Would do that.
In worst case I keep some fighters and bombers as "carrier deploy" crafts...

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2023-10-07 07:26, Saturday

Okay, I know it were maybe explained many times...
But I decided to save such explanations to avoid ask the same stupid thing again and again like a dumb child...
Plus not sure how much things changed with the latest executable and suite updates...

What I am curious about and would appreciate if one may explain to me:
1. How weight checkboxes works according to transport units (+ transport units must be GTP\ATP\NT or any unit could be "transport", e.g. recon or tank?)?
2. How containers works exactly and what classes could use them apart from fortifications and carriers?
3. Hexes could rise only friendly units or enemy units aswell?
4. Could different nations have different unit values (like player infantries start with basic 15 strenght and go up to 20 while AI starts with basic 10 and go up to 15) or such values are generally affects all sides?
5. Could ground condition changes defined according to terrain types (like swamps freeze faster than rivers) or such changes are generally affects all terrain types what is not ocean or escarpment?

Thank you!

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2023-10-08 18:27, Sunday

:howdy

Reply to point 4

- When purchasing units - you can set separate basic strength and experience parameters for both sides of the conflict

- When creating a scenario/change - you can individually set the basic strength and current strength parameters for each unit. You can also set individual experience for each unit, set the value of the experience bar --> automatically if - AutoBar is selected

You can set the basic strength to e.g. 15, 10, 8, 2

If you set the unit's strength parameter to more than its base strength, after losing strength --> you can rebuild the unit to its base strength + experience bar value

For example, a unit has a base strength of 4 and a current strength of 10 and experience bar = 2 --> After losing strength to 3, its maximum strength can be 4 + 2 = 6

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2023-10-11 15:29, Wednesday

answer point 5

The condition of the ground (dry, frozen, muddy) affects the cost of traffic in specific areas
You define this in the TERRAINEX file
like swamps freeze faster than rivers
Not possible - changes affect all types of terrain according to the values entered in TERRAINEX
Of course, if you enter the same values for - dry, frozen, mud - nothing will change

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2023-10-13 17:16, Friday

Thanks, Sympatik!

I just sketching a new e-file. This would be the first where I want to use special transports (hence the weight checkbox question). I know I read once how it works but I can't find it. And first time want to use trains to - not as transport but as combat crafts do able to transport other units (again the transport weight stuff, it returns to haunt...).
Speaking of which: How rails work? I know how roads work and I suspect rails work the same way... I know there is an "enable road on all terrain" option in the suite but that affects rails to? Or how can I set-up rail-bridges?
I even have an idea for land-based, moving landing-pads what I think also use the transport weight stuffs (third time..!)... Or transport submarines able to ferry ground forces safer than common transport ships (they evade afterall). Lots of strange ideas for this new e-file :)

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2023-10-28 12:36, Saturday

So, I may end up at the wrong answer, so I thought better clarify just for sure:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-10-28 13:26, Saturday

For containers/hangers you need to use the "misc" panel instead of "transports". Set the number of hangars and carrier weight checkboxes. Then the same checkboxes on the units that should enter the hangar.
I don't know if any unit specials are needed because i use this only for aircraft carriers.

Image Slava Ukraini!

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-12-30 11:34, Saturday

randowe wrote:
2023-10-28 13:26, Saturday
I don't know if any unit specials are needed because i use this only for aircraft carriers.
No specials needed. Just make the right weight combinations, and you can create transports for light units + transports for heavy units, + units which can't be transported at all.

I've added hangars in destroyers and torpedo boats, allowing them to freely embark and move infantry and light artillery. I also have "ferry boats" (confiscated civil vessels) which can also load and move heavy vehicles like tanks (but are slow as hell). Your imagination is the limit.

I would even completely drop the automatically disappearing naval transports, and replace them with transport units you have to manage when full and empty (and which thus can do several trips).
The problem preventing this is there is no way the player can embark his core units at scenario start, unless you give him a big enough stretch of friendly beach (most maps don't have)...

Hangars is a very powerful feature, and if Luis had continued adding features to OG they could be made to create many different interesting things, like bunkers and trenches you can put troops in (and take out), completely overhaul transports (land, air, sea), and much more.

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2024-01-24 18:50, Wednesday

I have a strange question at first: Could it be disabled that units get supplied on the map if they not stay in a city\port\airfield? I want dedicated units being the only what can resupply other units with ammo&fuel.
If I remember correctly reinforcement of damaged units could be disabled in a cfg file...

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2024-01-24 19:09, Wednesday

Duke Falcon wrote:
2024-01-24 18:50, Wednesday
I have a strange question at first: Could it be disabled that units get supplied on the map if they not stay in a city\port\airfield? I want dedicated units being the only what can resupply other units with ammo&fuel.
If I remember correctly reinforcement of damaged units could be disabled in a cfg file...
Can use $supply_ex to restrict supply to land units close to cities/ports although doesn't affect air or sea units.
See entry for $supply_ex at Config Files

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2024-01-26 08:29, Friday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2024-01-24 19:09, Wednesday
Duke Falcon wrote:
2024-01-24 18:50, Wednesday
Can use $supply_ex to restrict supply to land units close to cities/ports although doesn't affect air or sea units.
See entry for $supply_ex at Config Files
Wow, thanks!
It seems a whole lot of new things could be set in cfg files now!
I sure have some time to study and examine it closer... Maybe get some new ideas for my current WiP e-file :)