DOC: Submarines

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

DOC: Submarines

Post by LuisGuzman » 2019-10-19 13:14, Saturday

As some of you asked to document better some of the new features already included in OG, I start summarizing the rules for submarines when $Sub_ex is defined.

You all know that writing is not my best skill, and probably, writing english is my worst one, so don't hesitate asking for details or clarifications.

Submarines in OG.

OG inherited submarine class as defined in PG2: a naval unit who can be attacked only but TB and Destroyers and able to evade attack when attacked.

I always understood that they move always submerged, diving deeper to avoid attack, but with same movement speed.
And except that evade ability they follow the same spot rules than the rest of naval units.

When scenario option for "Extended naval rules" is enabled:
- Ships cannot attack subs from range >1
- Submarines need direct LOF to attack ... except if also is defined "Subs don't require DLOF"

And this is the default behavior in OG when $Sub_ex is not defined.

When if $Sub_ex is defined, submarines can be assigned a naval transport (NTP) as organic transport to be submerged (dismounted) or surface (mounted). By default, the NTP assigned as organic transport must be defined at design time, but if $sub_buytra is defined, the NTP can be purchased as any other organic transport.

These are the rules applied for sub_ex option:
  • Subs can move/combat surface (mount) using the stats of the naval transport (NTP)
  • Subs can dive (dismount) and move/combat submerged, using the stats of the submarine class unit.
  • Submerged subs are not visible until spotted by any ASW unit (Destroyers, T.Bombers and units having ASW special)
  • Subs cannot surface/submerge (mount/dismount) after moving.
  • If Sub is submerged and ordered to move further than submerged allowance, they will surface (mount) to go to the hex ordered (same than any other unit using an organic transport).
  • Submarines never dismount automatically, that is they always remain submerged/surfaced after moving or start of turns
  • Submarines moving surfaced cannot avoid combat.
  • When moving a ship into an hex occupied by a hidden submarine, a surprise contact will happen.
  • When mouving surface (mounted) the NTP icon is shown.
  • Can use hangars for any class unit (land, air or naval)
Note: AI 1.x and 2.x will move subs always submerged, regardless it is assigned a NTP as organic transport.
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

REDrake
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: DOC: Submarines

Post by REDrake » 2019-10-21 14:50, Monday

Slightly off-topic, but this is the way subs operate in Pacific General (and IMO it is a better system, but no surprise there, considering the name of the game).

1. Subs can be ordered to submerge. They move slower, 1/2 of total movement while submerged. If a sub moves half of its total movement it can be ordered to submerge. That option is not possible if the sub moved all of its movement (it stays on surface until the next turn).
2. While submerged the subs can only be attacked by destroyers or TB with Sonar ability, who are adjacent to the submerged sub.
3. While surfaced the sub can be attacked by any ship from a distance. When the attack occurse there chances that one of the following outcome concludes:
- the sub is hit and damaged (in most cases the sub is sunk, especially if hit by a battleship).
- the sub is hit and damaged but manages to submerge
- the sub is not hit and manages to submerge.
4. While surfaced the sub can also be hit by planes with naval ability or torpedoes. If attacked the same rules of the above apply, except that bombers can still hit the sub if submerged, but not with torpedoes.
5. Subs can be repaired while under the water (subs and capital ships have a special repair ability that can be used to repair the suppression damage).
6. There are some instances when a hit sub is affected by a critical hit damage in which case it might not be able to submerge. Those are Diving Planes Damaged and Battery Damaged. There is also Leaking oil which guarantess a hit.
7. While submerged, when hit by destroyers the sub can evade and avoid any damage.
8. A sub can only submerge while in sea squares. It cannot submerge in shallow waters.