Strange bugs when converting campaigns bulided with the SSI Editor

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Strange bugs when converting campaigns bulided with the SSI Editor

Post by Major Heinz » 2019-10-23 00:14, Wednesday

Hello, my first PG2 campaign I had builded partially with the SSI Editor (this was 2009 or something like this and I was new in creating a campaign). I found it more comfortable to buy the units in the SSI Editor and set there the flags. There were no prblem with that until some Suite update. After this suite update I created three new scenarios for the campaign and then some strange bugs happened in this scenarios. The last deployed unit was always a clone. eg I deployed a bunker as last unit. If I killed the bunker there was another bunker below. The unit was there several time even if I had only deployed the unit one time. Also in one scenarios I could not buy 100 units. The suite said that there were more than 100 units for a player even if I had buyed only 70 for them :huh
I know that Reloadmaster played the campaign once in 2012 with OG. But he told that OG did not recognize the scen and cam files and he had to change them.
My two questions:
Are these problems and bugs well-known and, more important: What is your opinion? Will it be worthwile to convert the campaign one day or will be there too many bugs that it will be too time-consuming?

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Re: Strange bugs when converting campaigns bulided with the SSI Editor

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-23 08:40, Wednesday

Major Heinz wrote:
2019-10-23 00:14, Wednesday
Are these problems and bugs well-known and, more important: What is your opinion? Will it be worthwile to convert the campaign one day or will be there too many bugs that it will be too time-consuming?
1. i never heard such a problem, and if you tried to report a bug, you missed sharing the most important details:
  • which suite are you speaking about at all (pg2 suite / open suite);
  • which version of the suite;
  • where is the scenario to test?
w/o these important intels, your "bug report" or "question" cannot be answered

2. several designers converted pg2 campaigns to opengen w/o any glitches, so if the pg2 campaign was good, then the answer is definitely yes
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Major Heinz » 2019-10-23 13:37, Wednesday

Probably my Headline was a Little bit missunderstanding because These Bugs do not appear when converting the Campaign. I have not tried what will happen if I do this. This is a PG2 Campaign which I played with an PG2 Equipment. The Suite is the newest PG2 Suite.

I do not know where I can upload zip files in the Forum :huh

But I made some screenshot from one Scenario as a prove.

I changed the last unit into a Hawker Hunter Jet to distinbguish it from the other units. It was the 61th unit. Everything Looks fine in the Suite.

There should be enough room to set a new unit for the enemies. If I try to purchase a unit this happens:

If I look how many units the enemy has, Suite said it has already 100 units.

If I play this scenario, in which the last unit is the jet this happens

The Suite seems to set the last unit 29 times (there are other jets which I could not get on the screenshot). So there are 100 units, because the last one is cloned 28 times :huh :dunno

I think the Problem is: After some PG2 Suite update a scenario can only be created if the player create it with scenario specific options --> new scenario. If he do not this and use the SSI Editor for the first steps, these bugs will happen. Now I know this but unfortunately I did not know it than I was building the scenarios. Now I am wondering what will happen with these scenarios after conversion into OG. Will be there additional bugs or only these bugs?

The following days I Maybe try to convert the cam file to see what Reloadmaster meaned when he said that OG did not recognize cam and scen files.

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-23 13:59, Wednesday

Major Heinz wrote:
2019-10-23 13:37, Wednesday
This is a PG2 Campaign which I played with an PG2 Equipment. The Suite is the newest PG2 Suite.
and this is open general forum :p

seriously: i just checked pg2 suite 4.301, and i can add a new units to any pg2 scenario, and only one unit is added

but again, it's not a pg2 forum, nobody cares about old bugs, the pg2 suite was last modified in september 2013, and there won't be any new release

edit: just in case you have an older pg2 suite, here you are the link for the last and latest pg2 suite
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2019-10-23 16:19, Wednesday

Major Heinz wrote:
2019-10-23 13:37, Wednesday
I think the Problem is: After some PG2 Suite update a scenario can only be created if the player create it with scenario specific options --> new scenario. If he do not this and use the SSI Editor for the first steps, these bugs will happen. Now I know this but unfortunately I did not know it than I was building the scenarios. Now I am wondering what will happen with these scenarios after conversion into OG. Will be there additional bugs or only these bugs?

The following days I Maybe try to convert the cam file to see what Reloadmaster meaned when he said that OG did not recognize cam and scen files.
Have you tried to load the scenarios using OpenSuite instead of PG2_Suite ?

As Csaba has posted, PG2_Suite won't be updated anymore, but OpenSuite should let you fix all the issues.

If you want to pack the equip97.* + Misc + Gui97 files plus the campaign and scenarios in a zip, and mail me attaching that zip, I could have a look to see how to fix in order to play with OG (not Pg2), but do not expect I can explain what it happened :eek ... I don't even remember how the built-in scenario maker worked :dunno
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game