Feature Request ~~ Suite ~~ [Rand+] feature

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Feature Request ~~ Suite ~~ [Rand+] feature

Post by mythos » 2020-08-26 14:35, Wednesday

Hola Luis :howdy

I've recently started working on a campaign and while the Suite is a very powerful tool, i would like some more power :angel

A setting/idea that i like focuses on the [Rand+] option, which allows randomizing unit's XP... every time the scenario gets played.
Thus, for example, if the unit was set like this...
https://i.imgur.com/PYDKpnO.jpg
...then every time OpenGen loads the scenario for playing, the XP of that unit gets randomized between {99;149} XP.

There are 2 things which i would like to see added to this feature.

1) the XP-bar isn't updated in the game = if the unit randomly receives 1+ XP, then it still has 0 bars and no leader gets raised
-> it would be awesome if both could happen, as it increases randomness and potential replayability of the scenario

2) this one is about the actual [Global Changes on Units Data]:
https://i.imgur.com/Cv2GKoC.jpg
adding the [Rand+] here would allow setting dozens of units at once, instead of having to set each unit individually. This would be a great help.

What do you think ?

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Re: Feature Request ~~ Suite ~~ [Rand+] feature

Post by LuisGuzman » 2020-08-26 16:03, Wednesday

:howdy Christ

Actually option #1 is resolved in game as you say, so any change could modify the behavior of other designers using that choice if we change the behavior now. Maybe we could rethink for future versions, once the current RC is promoted to official

The option #2 is resolved in Suite so we can change easily and moreover it already does what you want if you set this way:

I ticked also the filter to change "only if ..." to show that you can also exclude some units for the global replacement, but it is not required to set a random experience level plus bars for a selection of units.

After apply the the range of units you need, you can review the units and set a leader for whichever you want.
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-08-26 17:08, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2020-08-26 16:03, Wednesday
Actually option #1 is resolved in game as you say, so any change could modify the behavior of other designers using that choice if we change the behavior now. Maybe we could rethink for future versions, once the current RC is promoted to official
I checked and no: if set as shown, then the unit gets no XP-bar and no leader (i tried by setting the leader chance to 100% - but without the XP-bar, this didn't matter anyway):

LuisGuzman wrote:
2020-08-26 16:03, Wednesday
The option #2 is resolved in Suite so we can change easily and moreover it already does what you want if you set this way:
https://i.ibb.co/Thhy6vs/image.png

I ticked also the filter to change "only if ..." to show that you can also exclude some units for the global replacement, but it is not required to set a random experience level plus bars for a selection of units.

After apply the the range of units you need, you can review the units and set a leader for whichever you want.
By this, the XP is set at design time - and actually, only once: immediately after set up, thus Suite (not OpenGen) randomizes, just once, within the given range (and applies the XP-bar).

However, the [Rand+] feature works at play time = everytime OpenGen (not the Suite) loads the scenario, thus for example
1) i play scenario X on monday, then the unit has 100 XP
2) i replay on tuesday, then the unit has 133 XP
3) i replay on tuesday an hour later, then the unit is created with 111 XP
and so on.
In the Suite, it would still be set as [XP = 99 ; Rand+ = 50], but OpenGen then randomizes within {99;149} every time the scenario is loaded.

For easier set up of scenarios, i would like the [Rand+] included in the Global Changes, as for example for [Class = Infantry] and [Name = Conscript], i could then set for all 10 Conscript units the given pair of 99+50 for example. And then repeat for the 12 [Regular] infantries with 110+60, and the 9 [artillery] units with 50+49.
Yes, i am a very lazy person :lol

Additionally the tricky thing is, as shown above, that the XP-bar is missing, if the randomization raises above a multiple of 100 XP.

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Post by lvjtn » 2020-08-27 08:31, Thursday

i've checked the rand+ exp with suite 72.15 + og 93.3.0 and ogx 93.4.30, as i can confirm what Chris wrote, it doesn't work as it expected

and i also think that adding randr+ experience for the global changes sounds good :yes
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2020-08-27 09:19, Thursday

I'm sorry to disagree with the "Rand+" option regarding the behavior in game.

IMHO it is working as expected... so it should not be changed. It is only that I understood Chris was asking to update the unit's bar and eventual leader as soon as the scenario starts, and so I replied
any change could modify the behavior of other designers using that choice if we change the behavior now
But I got busy and I couldn't explain what was the expected behavior.

As you know, the game engine checks units bar (and eventual leader raising) as soon as any unit increases its xp in combat.
And then it checks if the xp at that moment is over the current bars and then it updates the bars (adding even more than 1 bar) and checks if a leader must be raised.

So, actually if the "Rand+" xp added, makes the unit to have more bars than currently, the unit will get that/those bar/s and will have the opportunity to raise a leader as soon as that unit combat and increase 1 xp.

Adding the Rand+ in the global changes is doable, of course.
Sorry for not explain it better yesterday :bonk

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-08-27 14:28, Thursday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2020-08-27 09:19, Thursday
So, actually if the "Rand+" xp added, makes the unit to have more bars than currently, the unit will get that/those bar/s and will have the opportunity to raise a leader as soon as that unit combat and increase 1 xp.
This is unintuitive (for example: if i see a unit with 100 XP, then i expect it to have 1 XP-bar), but for the sake of simplicity and backwards compatibility i'm fine with keeping the feature "as is" :yep

LuisGuzman wrote:
Adding the Rand+ in the global changes is doable, of course.
Great :banana

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-08-27 17:23, Thursday

LuisGuzman wrote:
:-o you actually explained it, i just forgot the point. :doh

so if a unit has exp=0 & rand+=399 defined in suite, then the unit will have zero exp bar in the game, but after this unit gets some new exp points, it will probably have 4 bars immediately, am i right?
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2020-08-27 17:33, Thursday

:yes
you are right, it can get 4 bars if rand value plus the xp gained in combat is 400 or more