Licensed Campaigns

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Licensed Campaigns

Post by randowe » 2020-10-25 18:35, Sunday

Hello everyone :howdy
I have a question regarding licensed campaigns.
The campaigns made by Santiago Fuertes & Pablo Schlegel like "Rising Sun" are licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

ND means "No Derivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material."

Does that mean that it is forbidden to convert (transform!) one of the campaigns under this license to another efile? For a long time i was thinking to convert "Rising Sun" to my Efile, but was unsure if it is forbidden? Of course the original designer will be named and it is non commercial. It just the ND that makes me :huh Since Santiago is long gone and i never met him at JP's, i have not the chance to ask him about the campaign.

When were the licenses added to the campaigns? Is anyone in contact with Santiago? Did anyone ever asked for the permission to convert a licensed campaign after Santiago was gone?

I really would like to convert "Rising Sun" some day in the future but it seems impossible?! :huh
Image Slava Ukraini!

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Re: Licensed Campaigns

Post by lvjtn » 2020-10-25 19:29, Sunday

randowe wrote:
2020-10-25 18:35, Sunday
When were the licenses added to the campaigns?
in the latest olgcw/ww2 packs, in the readme files

i'd say, when a designer is not active since more than 2-3 years (like Santi and Pablo), their closed licensed stuffs can be used as if they hadn't the "nd" closure :2cents
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-10-27 12:29, Tuesday

lvjtn wrote:
2020-10-25 19:29, Sunday
randowe wrote:
2020-10-25 18:35, Sunday
When were the licenses added to the campaigns?
in the latest olgcw/ww2 packs, in the readme files

i'd say, when a designer is not active since more than 2-3 years (like Santi and Pablo), their closed licensed stuffs can be used as if they hadn't the "nd" closure :2cents
Thanks for your answer. I'll see if i have the courage to convert the campaign :bonk I want to do things "right" and respect the designers and don't want to violate the intention* they had when they licensed their campaigns. * the intention i do not know.

Do you know if there is still a Latin General homepage? If i remember correctly there was one, but now i can not find it anymore.
Image Slava Ukraini!

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-10-27 16:35, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2020-10-27 12:29, Tuesday
Do you know if there is still a Latin General homepage? If i remember correctly there was one, but now i can not find it anymore.
the last known LG site was on Gilestiel page, but the link i know doesn't work, maybe you can ask Gilestiel (he appeared here recently)

or just upgrade the campaign with the permission of the OG team ;)
efiles:

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-10-27 16:52, Tuesday

lvjtn wrote:
2020-10-27 16:35, Tuesday
or just upgrade the campaign with the permission of the OG team ;)
Will do that, thanks :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2020-10-27 20:03, Tuesday

:howdy

I will add my 2 cents ...
Each conversion does not carry / accurately reflect all aspects of the original game ...

If the original game inspires you to - make your campaign - then everything is legal

If you do the right interpretation - it could be a pretty great new campaign - which is what I wish you

Opening this thread shows that you wanted to settle the matter formally -> ask here - the Author formally for consent (that's all you can currently do)

@lvjtn
Who is it - OG team?

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-10-27 20:06, Tuesday

sympatyk wrote:
2020-10-27 20:03, Tuesday
@lvjtn
Who is it - OG team?
well, there is no such thing officially, but i think the admins of this forum (Luis, Juankar, me) can be considered as "og team". of course, Luis is the boss, it was a semi-joke, that's why i used the smiley
efiles:

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-10-27 21:04, Tuesday

Maybe i'll just convert CC 43 Rising Sun or Panzerliga Rising Sun, because there is no license written for both of them :naughty
I mean, technically... :bonk Just kiddin' :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

kowdar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by kowdar » 2020-10-28 14:08, Wednesday

Hi

I have permission from Santiago to convert LGCW campaigns.
Maybe try to mail to him ?

Code: Select all

Re: Conversion LGCW Campaign
Santiago Fuertes <fuertesbermudez@yahoo.es>
10 cze 2017, 12:16
do kowdar@opengeneral.pl

Hello Dariusz,

Many thanks for your mail, it would be great to make a conversion of these campaigns for Open General. Have you considered to use also the Open LGCW efile?

In any case you can begin the conversions when you want. 

Take fun.

Santiago.

Enviado desde Yahoo Mail con Android

El sáb., jun. 10, 2017 a 12:09, Dariusz Kowalewski
    <kowdar@opengeneral.pl> escribió:
Hi Santiago

My name is Dariusz Kowalewski. I maintain www.opengeneral.pl page, where I publish a PG2 campaign conversions in version for the OpenGeneral and Gustlik efile. In addition, I translate briefings in campaings into Polish.

I am writing to you because I would like to ask you for permission to convert your campaign from LGCW efile to Gustlik efile and publish them on www.opengeneral.pl page, similarly like this http://www.opengeneral.pl/kampanie_i.html

I mean about your great campaigns from your page: http://latingenerals.gilestiel.eu/

Saddam Gambit
Viet Cong & North Vietnam Campaign
US Korea Campaign

To start doing conversions, I would like to get your permission.

I'm not doing this for commercial purposes, OpenGeneral is my hobby, and with conversions campaigns and their translation into Polish, I hope to popularize my favorite game in Poland.

You will always be able to withdraw your consent and then I will remove the converted campaigns from my website.

Thank you in advance and look forward to a positive response.

Best regards
Dariusz

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-10-28 14:39, Wednesday

kowdar wrote:
2020-10-28 14:08, Wednesday
Hi

I have permission from Santiago to convert LGCW campaigns.
Maybe try to mail to him ?

Code: Select all

Re: Conversion LGCW Campaign
Santiago Fuertes <fuertesbermudez@yahoo.es>
10 cze 2017, 12:16
do kowdar@opengeneral.pl

Hello Dariusz,

Many thanks for your mail, it would be great to make a conversion of these campaigns for Open General. Have you considered to use also the Open LGCW efile?

In any case you can begin the conversions when you want. 

Take fun.

Santiago.

Enviado desde Yahoo Mail con Android

El sáb., jun. 10, 2017 a 12:09, Dariusz Kowalewski
    <kowdar@opengeneral.pl> escribió:
Hi Santiago

My name is Dariusz Kowalewski. I maintain www.opengeneral.pl page, where I publish a PG2 campaign conversions in version for the OpenGeneral and Gustlik efile. In addition, I translate briefings in campaings into Polish.

I am writing to you because I would like to ask you for permission to convert your campaign from LGCW efile to Gustlik efile and publish them on www.opengeneral.pl page, similarly like this http://www.opengeneral.pl/kampanie_i.html

I mean about your great campaigns from your page: http://latingenerals.gilestiel.eu/

Saddam Gambit
Viet Cong & North Vietnam Campaign
US Korea Campaign

To start doing conversions, I would like to get your permission.

I'm not doing this for commercial purposes, OpenGeneral is my hobby, and with conversions campaigns and their translation into Polish, I hope to popularize my favorite game in Poland.

You will always be able to withdraw your consent and then I will remove the converted campaigns from my website.

Thank you in advance and look forward to a positive response.

Best regards
Dariusz
Thank you very much :howdy I will try and email Santiago. I hope his address is still in use :ihope
Image Slava Ukraini!