Cannot download map 0 error

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
Tigerfuzz
Private
Private

Cannot download map 0 error

Post by Tigerfuzz » 2021-02-28 19:37, Sunday

I'm getting this error when I open a campaign. It downloads the other stuff without the problems but this map 0 always gives me a problem. The weird thing is that the campaign still opens and works. But im worried that it will break something later on? Can someone help?

Oh and a quick question about antique campaigns. Is there a tutorial for antique campaigns and is there a place where I can find more? I see that there are only four of them. Any campaigns for Hannibal? Thank you!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Re: Cannot download map 0 error

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-03-01 06:45, Monday

Hi Tigerfuzz and :welcome to the forum

Do you get this error with any campaign you try to load or does it happen only with some campaigns ... in this last case, which one is raising that error ?.

Also which OG version are you running?

:howdy
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

Tigerfuzz
Private
Private

Post by Tigerfuzz » 2021-03-01 15:58, Monday

Hello Luis!

http://www.open-general.com/

I downloaded the game from here. It's insane how much content you have here. I can't wait to dive in.

So far it happened to Caesar's campaign and the tutorial campaign. But im pretty sure it would be similar in all campaigns since I see no real correlation between caesar's campaign and the tutorial. Any idea on how I can fix this? I can troubleshoot some stuff. Thank you!

Tigerfuzz
Private
Private

Post by Tigerfuzz » 2021-03-01 16:01, Monday

Hello Luis!

http://www.open-general.com/
I downloaded the game from here. Can't believe I didn't know about this. Thanks for your work!

It's happening in all the campaigns I believe. It happened in the tutorial campaign and when opening the tutorial campaign. Thank you!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-03-01 16:48, Monday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2021-03-01 06:45, Monday
Hi Tigerfuzz and :welcome to the forum

Do you get this error with any campaign you try to load or does it happen only with some campaigns ... in this last case, which one is raising that error ?.

Also which OG version are you running?

Tigerfuzz (welcome :howdy ) is right about the error message. I just installed the latest full installer of the game and everytime a map is downloaded, no matter the map or campaign or efile, the error message is shown again and again:

EDIT: Did some more downloads an it happens not every time a map is downloaded but i see no clear pattern. Maybe it happens once every time i start the game and then for the first map download. (But yeah I'll just copy the whole map folder of the "old" OG now...)

Tigerfuzz wrote:
2021-02-28 19:37, Sunday
Oh and a quick question about antique campaigns. Is there a tutorial for antique campaigns and is there a place where I can find more? I see that there are only four of them. Any campaigns for Hannibal? Thank you!
So far there are 4 antique campaigns. Kessler is currently working on a campaign about Boudica, Celtic Britons vs. Romans.
Last edited by randowe on 2021-03-01 17:13, Monday, edited 1 time in total.
Image Slava Ukraini!

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Post by lvjtn » 2021-03-01 17:12, Monday

randowe wrote:
2021-03-01 16:48, Monday
Tigerfuzz (welcome :howdy ) is right about the error message. I just installed the latest full installer of the game and everytime a map is downloaded, no matter the map or campaign or efile, the error message is shown again and again:

it's not completely true, it never happens if you play campaigns or scenarios using tiled maps (maybe that's why i haven't caught it before) or you start with such a campaign and switch to any other efile

but yes, if you start with a regular campaign, you are right, i can confirm it too
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-03-01 17:15, Monday

lvjtn wrote:
2021-03-01 17:12, Monday
it's not completely true, it never happens if you play campaigns or scenarios using tiled maps (maybe that's why i haven't caught it before) or you start with such a campaign and switch to any other efile

but yes, if you start with a regular campaign, you are right, i can confirm it too
Of course you are right. I didn't even think about tiled maps :bonk :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-03-01 18:56, Monday

If that helps ...
OpenGen engine version 0.93.3.99RC7 from March 6, 2020 works fine - maps are downloaded (no error message)
On the other hand, the engine OpenGen 0.93.3.99RC15 from December 4, 2020 and OpenGen 0.93.4.0 from December 25, 2020 - displays an error message, but the map is downloading ...

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-03-02 10:50, Tuesday

Sorry for delay on answering, comrades!

As you have already realized, OG still download the proper map from open-general.com repo, regardless the warning.

The problem is because some months again, I tested to move my site to another provider with a different domain (.es instead of .com)
Thus, I changed the OG's mirror server from www.luis-guzman.com to www.luis-guzman.es :doh

After a few months (with the free test period) I concluded that while faster, the new provider was much more expensive, so I discarded moving ...
... but I forgot to roll back the code from checking .es to .com again :bonk

So the error is shown when checking if is available (which is not).
After first time, the new server(.es) is removed from the list of servers and thus the warning only happens once.

Those who are using (like me) the file og_repos.ini to check map repos, should not get that fake warning.

I'll try to update to 0.93.4.01 asap (or at least upload a file og_repos.ini with the proper settings

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-03-02 17:19, Tuesday

Can copy these 2 lines

Code: Select all

www.open-general.com/MapJpg
www.luis-guzman.com/MAP
into a file: called og_repos.ini located in in the main game folder to avoid the map 0 warning (must create if non exist yet)

Tigerfuzz
Private
Private

Post by Tigerfuzz » 2021-03-02 17:54, Tuesday

I think you fixed it. I don't see any errors anymore. =)

Hey folks, I've played Panzer General back in the day but a lot of the mechanics I forgot. I want to learn everything again but with the antique campaigns because that's my favorite period in history. Is there a good antique campaign you suggest that I start with so that I can learn everything again?

Antique seems very different from normal panzer general, or is it pretty much the same? any manuals that I can read about the antique warfare and mechanics? Thank you! Hail Caesar! I'm actually reading about Caesar's campaign right now, it's awesome how the campaign starts out versus with the Helveti because that's Caesar's first major battle in the book I'm reading =)

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-03-02 20:56, Tuesday

Hi Luis :howdy

I just wanted to be sure .. The file og_repos.ini - defines the order of servers from which maps images are downloaded?
If so, then by adding a local server in the first place (e.g. opengeneral.pl) - I change the order of searching and downloading maps.
This is a very good solution - e.g. some maps (pictures) were made in several color versions -> official (submitted), in indexed colors (PG2 palette), and gray
This allows you to choose to download a picture - according to the player's preferences (after changing into a suite)
It also allows you to download an image with a large MB weight - if someone wants ... there can be more uses ...

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-03-02 21:10, Tuesday

Tigerfuzz wrote:
2021-03-02 17:54, Tuesday
Antique seems very different from normal panzer general, or is it pretty much the same? any manuals that I can read about the antique warfare and mechanics? Thank you! Hail Caesar! I'm actually reading about Caesar's campaign right now, it's awesome how the campaign starts out versus with the Helveti because that's Caesar's first major battle in the book I'm reading =)
Every efile uses the same game mechanics and hard coded combat formulas, Antique is no exeption. So it is "pretty much the same" :yes
But of course it creates a different experience than WW2 or Cold War efiles with the antique icons, units, maps, texts, campaigns, scenarios, etc...
If you have further questions or comments or if you want to contact Spasteur and Kessler (the designers of Antique efile), please feel free to use the Antique Efile's thread: viewtopic.php?p=255#p255 :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-03-03 08:37, Wednesday

sympatyk wrote:
2021-03-02 20:56, Tuesday
Hi Luis :howdy

I just wanted to be sure .. The file og_repos.ini - defines the order of servers from which maps images are downloaded?
If so, then by adding a local server in the first place (e.g. opengeneral.pl) - I change the order of searching and downloading maps.
This is a very good solution - e.g. some maps (pictures) were made in several color versions -> official (submitted), in indexed colors (PG2 palette), and gray
This allows you to choose to download a picture - according to the player's preferences (after changing into a suite)
It also allows you to download an image with a large MB weight - if someone wants ... there can be more uses ...
Effectively ... actually, I added this optional file to allow opengeneral.pl to download maps that are not located in the official repos.

The sequence I posted is the default sequence that OG should use if no og_repos.ini is found and the one I have to change in the next release.

The only thing is that this og_repos.ini file must be edited manually.

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-03-03 10:55, Wednesday

Hi Luis

I asked/ask because ... then,( in October 2018) -> a file - map_server.ini - was used to add an additional server
Its content is
opengeneral.pl/map
* luis-guzman.com

... and this is still the case today

The files - map_server.ini - and - og_repos.ini -> have a different name and content.

My question was, does the og_repos.ini file eliminate the map_server.ini file? -> whether both files function independently of each other -> then the question is what order (priority)

Manual editing - for old users / players - probably not a problem (in my opinion)
Effectively ... actually, I added this optional file to allow opengeneral.pl to download maps that are not located in the official repos.
Files on opengeneral.pl are for everyone
I wrote about alternative maps and stylized for the PG2 palette
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=317#p4394

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-03-03 13:32, Wednesday

sympatyk wrote:
2021-03-03 10:55, Wednesday
Hi Luis

I asked/ask because ... then,( in October 2018) -> a file - map_server.ini - was used to add an additional server
Its content is
opengeneral.pl/map
* luis-guzman.com

... and this is still the case today

The files - map_server.ini - and - og_repos.ini -> have a different name and content.

My question was, does the og_repos.ini file eliminate the map_server.ini file? -> whether both files function independently of each other -> then the question is what order (priority)
Hi Grzegorz

Are you sure that map_server.ini is working yet ?
I think since version RC11 only the file og_repos.ini works, merging the option to define an additional server (opengeneral.pl) with the hardcoded repos.
Files on opengeneral.pl are for everyone
I wrote about alternative maps and stylized for the PG2 palette
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=317#p4394
Actually to be able, for anyone, to download maps like "mapa333r.png" or "2vietnam_nov.png", the file og_repos.ini should be:

Code: Select all

www.open-general.com/MapJpg
www.luis-guzman.com/MAP
opengeneral.pl/map

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-03-03 14:57, Wednesday

Thanks for the clarification :bow :bow :bow
I missed / not noticed information about the file og_repos.ini ...
I have all the pictures in the "map" directory and I don't need automatic download ... most of us have the same ...
In 2020, I did not check if map_server.ini works ... nobody complained.
I understand that og_repos.ini is now staying as a tool to add additional servers

Kessler
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kessler » 2021-03-04 04:38, Thursday

Tigerfuzz wrote:
2021-03-02 17:54, Tuesday
Antique-Greetings Tigerfuzz, I hope you like Antique General. If you have any question, you can right me a PN :yes

Parabellum
Captain
Captain

Post by Parabellum » 2021-03-04 13:26, Thursday

Kessler wrote:
2021-03-04 04:38, Thursday
Antique-Greetings Tigerfuzz, I hope you like Antique General. If you have any question, you can right me a PN :yes
:huh ...

@Tigerfuzz: he certainly means "you can write me a PM"
Completed CCs: 1x4, 2x5, 3x3, 4, 5x3, 6, 7x2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17x2, 18x3, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56x3, 57, 58, 59, 60x3, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67x2, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72x2, 73, 74, 75x2, 76x5, MTC I
Completed CCCs: #8

Kessler
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kessler » 2021-03-04 14:19, Thursday

Parabellum wrote:
2021-03-04 13:26, Thursday
Kessler wrote:
2021-03-04 04:38, Thursday
:huh ...

@Tigerfuzz: he certainly means "you can write me a PM"
:lol :lol :lol :lol Jürgen you are my translater :lol :lol :lol :lol