Optional suite controll proposal

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Optional suite controll proposal

Post by Duke Falcon » 2021-04-15 17:25, Thursday

Hi Luis!

I want to know if it is possible that optionally use the OG Suite's map tools as the PeG's maptool worked? I mean select terrain type then assign hexes by click on them instead of the OG's mass change solution.
The reason I ask this is that lately I have hand tremors, shakes and jittery fingers. Not make me happy when after mins of carefull hex selecting a tremors in my fingers dismiss all my hard work... I am unsure if the tremors and such would vanish (hope these are side effects of the chemo so they would) and if they do when but I had far longer brake with my OG projects than I should...

Thanks for read this!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Re: Optional suite controll proposal

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-04-15 18:26, Thursday

Hi Duke,

Sorry to know about your hands, but there are ages I don't use the PeG MapTool ... actually, I don't have even installed :o and thus I do not remember exactly how it worked, could you explain shortly how would you like to do with the OG's Suite?

And, are you talking about simple editing individual hexes' terrain of you are asking for mass editing (changing many hexes to a given terrain?

:howdy
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-04-15 18:44, Thursday

Duke Falcon wrote:
2021-04-15 17:25, Thursday

I mean select terrain type then assign hexes by click on them instead of the OG's mass change solution.
But that is actually possible, unless i misunderstand you.
You can select a terrain type. Copy the terrain type to clipboard by clicking the little icon right above the terrain tab.
Then you have to hold CTRL and can klick on any hex that you want to change to the selected terrain type.

You are right, the mass selection is a difficult task and one has to be very careful.
EDIT: Because you know, with one false click you loose the selection. But personally i use mass selection for large spaces of oceans or deserts only.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2021-04-16 15:15, Friday

PeG's maptool worked that one may selected a certain terrain type then right-clicked on the hexes to change them.
It is very similar to what Randowe wrote so I will try his method. Not sure how it would work for larger than 3000x3000px maps but seems better than lost 8-10 mins of selection work because of a false click...

Bit offtopic...
I wonder if large units could be done properly make the game handling them (class-wise) as multi-hex units. I made some WH40k icons 3-4 years ago where Titans and super-heavy tanks are easily larger than 300px in any dimensions (heck, some Titans lorewise are about 60-70 meters high in WH40k)... Not promised here any WH40k OG mods however just prompted the possible option to make some in the future :)

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-04-16 17:21, Friday

Duke Falcon wrote:
2021-04-16 15:15, Friday
PeG's maptool worked that one may selected a certain terrain type then right-clicked on the hexes to change them.
It is very similar to what Randowe wrote so I will try his method. Not sure how it would work for larger than 3000x3000px maps but seems better than lost 8-10 mins of selection work because of a false click...
If you have incorrectly selected hexes - you can always make corrections - by right-clicking.
It often happens to me - if I mark the hexes - with the left mouse button pressed - a road or railroad that I stray from the route.
This is when - using the right mouse button makes a correction - you can add and subtract hexes to the selection.
Duke Falcon wrote:
Bit offtopic...
I wonder if large units could be done properly make the game handling them (class-wise) as multi-hex units. I made some WH40k icons 3-4 years ago where Titans and super-heavy tanks are easily larger than 300px in any dimensions (heck, some Titans lorewise are about 60-70 meters high in WH40k)... Not promised here any WH40k OG mods however just prompted the possible option to make some in the future :)
You can put large icons in the game ..

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-04-17 10:30, Saturday

sympatyk wrote:
2021-04-16 17:21, Friday
If you have incorrectly selected hexes - you can always make corrections - by right-clicking.
It often happens to me - if I mark the hexes - with the left mouse button pressed - a road or railroad that I stray from the route.
This is when - using the right mouse button makes a correction - you can add and subtract hexes to the selection.
It's not incorrect. There are different ways to select hex. With right klick you can add one hex to the selection. But when you hold the left mouse button and hover over all hex on the screen you can select them all or only desired ones like along railroad. BUT, when you mark the hex by holding left mouse button, the last click has to be right mouse button to enable the "set terrain type in combo to every hex in selection" option if you want to use this.
But any way, one "false" click and the selection gets lost. And with tremors in the hand, like Duke said, it happens more often.

But yeah, generally, there are different options and i think every map makers has his favorite one :cool
Image Slava Ukraini!

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-04-17 14:02, Saturday

:howdy
I meant this -> if you make the first selection (left mouse button) -> then take your hand off the mouse -> put your hand on the mouse so as not to touch the left mouse button - only the right one -> impossible to uncheck / lose selections by accidental clicking
Now you can add / subtract hexes to the selection (right mouse button)
During work, you have to save / save frequently ...

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2021-08-07 16:27, Saturday

sympatyk wrote:
2021-04-16 17:21, Friday
Duke Falcon wrote:
Duke Falcon wrote:
Bit offtopic...
You can put large icons in the game ..

For large, multi hex icons I meant like the titans on this unit sheet (a cancelled project of mine for OG):
Those titans are huge so something like the PG2 carriers need to apply on them (blocking adjacent hexes). This is one of the reasons I forfeit this project (the large maps are possible now so there are no more troubles except titan-size stuffs).