Prussian 7 Years War - Siege of Pirna: Help please with Siege Tactics

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
FabioD
Private
Private

Prussian 7 Years War - Siege of Pirna: Help please with Siege Tactics

Post by FabioD » 2021-05-24 12:31, Monday

Hello,

I am really happy that I have recently found this fantastic game and started to play. After trying the first two scenario of the tutorial I moved to Spring of Nation.
Unfortunately, after trying many times, I am still stuck at the first scenario of the Prussian 7 Years War, the Siege of Pirna, and I wonder if some of you could give me some advice or tips.

Especially I am unable to conquer the city of Pirna and their VHs. I arrive easily at the city, conquering the surrounding towns and preventing Enemy HQ Cavalry to escape, in roughly 7 turns. Which is a lot of fun! But then I think that I am missing something in understanding of the tactics. I attack with the Feldkanonen and the Mörser the defense and protect those units with the other units in front. But I cannot really attack the enemy in the city with the other units (infantry and cavallery) due to the heavy support fire of the enemy. So they just progressively die and I lose due to too many turns.

I looked a lot in google, but couldn't find a solution...

Thanks a lot for help

Best,
Fabio

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Re: Prussian 7 Years War - Siege of Pirna: Help please with Siege Tactics

Post by lvjtn » 2021-05-25 09:24, Tuesday

:welcome Fabio

thanks for playing this campaign

there are a few things what can be significant to win any scenarios made for spring of nations efile:

- use the longest (range-4) canons to silence the enemy's guns
- use your light cavalry (recon) to bypass the enemy's defense line and destroy the damaged guns
- use your combat support (hq infantry or hq cavalry) units to give more experience for your attacking units
- don't forget to train your combat support units, but be careful, they are expensive and vulnerable units, so use them to kill the damaged and/or weakest and/or out of ammo units

regarding pirna: i never attack from the north/north-west, i prefer concentrating my units in south/south-west. the goal is breaking the defense at one pont where the light cavalry can sneak behind the fortifications. use the "hit-and-run" ability of this recon class and don't forget, the strongest units are also vulnerable if it's out of ammo, so try to attack only a few enemy units but with as much units as possible

and the aux units are to die for glory, pride and prussia in this campaign
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

FabioD
Private
Private

Re: Prussian 7 Years War - Siege of Pirna: Help please with Siege Tactics

Post by FabioD » 2021-05-25 11:24, Tuesday

Hello,

Thank you! These are really nice advice! Especially the use of light cavalry (recon) in combination with cannons, thanks. I think I was focusing the cannon fire not properly. I am looking forward to trying the scenario again soon! This time Pirna will fall :) ahaha

Cheers,
Fabio