OG and big screen TV

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

OG and big screen TV

Post by Major Heinz » 2021-12-26 19:36, Sunday

For my birthday I got a 48 inch television as a present. It was originally intended to be able to play PS5 on it, but since it will be a year before the PS5 is freely available, I am currently considering using the TV as a screen for the PC.
First tests today showed problems playing OG with the TV. I changed the screen resolution to my television and set the font to 17. I also made a 300% zoom.
The game is a bit laggy. But that seems to be a general problem, because when I watch YouTube on the TV, the videos are lagging too. I have to ask for expert advice again as to which settings are wrong.
The Intro scenario is a good size, but the box that appears when you right-click on a unit is tiny and practically impossible to read. The header is also practically illegible, as are the icons on the right-hand side such as flight mode, next turn, etc. The combat predictions are also illegible. However, this is not due to the size, but to the fact that the font is blurred in the opposing unit. If you place the cursor a little outside the unit, you can read the forecast, even if it is very small.

Is there anyone here who has had experience of playing OG on a large screen and who can give me tips on which settings will help against the problems.

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Re: OG and big screen TV

Post by lvjtn » 2021-12-29 09:27, Wednesday

i played once OG with a 43" screen attached. it has a full hd (1920x1080) resolution, so the size was fine, i guess WQHD (2560x1440) or 4K (3840x2160) can be a problem though

unfortunately, the colors of an average tv sreen aren't so detailed, so the readability of the numbers (unit strength, combat prediction) are poor, i secod your experience

actually, the high resolutions used by nowadays make huge difficulty when playing opengen which was designed in those times when 800x600 resolution was common. i'm afraid, eventually the gui must be reworked (e.g. the scalable svg should be used instead of the fix size png files)
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

sympatyk
Major
Major

Re: OG and big screen TV

Post by sympatyk » 2021-12-29 17:08, Wednesday

:howdy
The most important thing is your computer's graphics card. :evil
Can it support the native resolution of this TV?
I expect it to be 3840x2160px (Ultra HD).
Since it is exactly 2 times the size of 1920x1080 (HDTV 1080p) - this screen area / area will be 4 times the size of HDTV 1080p
The picture should be clear - if you can set the native TV resolution in 32 bit color. (settings for OG)
However, as Csaba wrote, some graphics do not scale.
You can zoom in on the map, but you will lose quality (it will be blurry)
If your TV has a WQHD resolution (2560x1440) - this should be set for OG.