Infantry entering Hangars?

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Infantry entering Hangars?

Post by none » 2022-02-20 12:35, Sunday

Hi guys, I'm back: I finished the overhaul of all my artillery (land and ships) with real-world data, and it was awful. You know you've spent too much time on this when you start dreaming in your sleep about field guns... :doh

Anyway, I'm now redoing my marine campaign since all unit range values have changed (and I wanted to expand it anyway), and stumbled upon a snag: I have ships with hangars able to contain airplanes, but also ships with hangars which can contain infantry. It was common to have destroyers move special forces to some distant shore, and I wanted to simulate that.

Now it happens I can place infantry in those ships in OpenSuite, but not during the game, neither during the game (at a shore or port*), nor while deploying my units at the start of a new scenario. What am I missing? :huh

I'm using the latest "back to the future" 0.93.4.2RC, and I think I remember this was already an issue back in 2018, back on the other forum, but I don't recall what the official statement about this had been.
Do my infantry hangars have a chance or not?

* For an instant I thought the problem might be that the Inf unit would need to make a step onto water (which it can't), so I put the hangar ship in a hex type both can use, a port. No luck, the infantry unit still didn't consider entering the ship's hangars.

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Re: Infantry entering Hangars?

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-02-20 14:01, Sunday

:howdy

How did you set $ground_carrier in the .cfg cascade files affecting that scenario ?
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2022-02-21 12:28, Monday

Sorry, lost the habit...
It has been ground_carrier=9 in the equip.cfg (no scenario .cfg), since the first version of the EFile (the one you have), since infantry hangars was something I wanted to play with for years. (I also tried =8, just in case, nothing changed.)
Is there another setting I might have forgotten about?

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-02-21 16:38, Monday

none wrote:
2022-02-21 12:28, Monday
Sorry, lost the habit...
It has been ground_carrier=9 in the equip.cfg (no scenario .cfg), since the first version of the EFile (the one you have), since infantry hangars was something I wanted to play with for years. (I also tried =8, just in case, nothing changed.)
Is there another setting I might have forgotten about?
Could you tell me which of the files that you sent to me already could I use as a sample to test myself ?
Or could you send me (Ctrl+B) the same scenario failing to embark infantry units into carrier?
.., as Its is easier to me testing myself :notworthy

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-02-21 17:26, Monday

I remember seeing the same problem (infantry couldn't enter containers since version XYZ) brought up in the Polish forum 2 or 3 months ago. Don't know how they solved it or if it was reported. :dunno
Image Slava Ukraini!

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2022-02-21 20:07, Monday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2022-02-21 16:38, Monday
Could you tell me which of the files that you sent to me already could I use as a sample to test myself ?
AFAIK you don't have any scenario already actively using them, because (IIRC) it didn't work yet when I released the EFile. But the ships with infantry hangars and all the correct settings are already in the old NOKORP EFile you have. I could make you a quick test scenario.

LuisGuzman wrote:
Or could you send me (Ctrl+B) the same scenario failing to embark infantry units into carrier?
That I can do! Could you please elaborate on the "Ctrl+B" thing? How do I make that work? Does it send the currently loaded scenario?

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-02-22 09:20, Tuesday

none wrote:
2022-02-21 20:07, Monday
LuisGuzman wrote:
That I can do! Could you please elaborate on the "Ctrl+B" thing? How do I make that work? Does it send the currently loaded scenario?
Sample screenshot image

Once pressed Ctrl+B click the check-boxes with the attachments to include, add a useful description of the problem (that is how to replicate the issue), write your name or nickname and any mail account in case you want any feedback (all info is kept as private and thus I'll keep private).
I've filled the form with samples, but do not hesitate to ask for clarifications if needed.

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2022-02-22 13:29, Tuesday

Thanks, but I finally made you a small test scenario, it's easier to handle (in the actual scenario you'd have to fight for a while till you can land your troops...).
Drop it in OpenGeneral's existing NOKORP EFile scenario folder.

It's a tiny map with two destroyers carrying each an infantry unit in their hangars, and a small patch of land to land them on. Try unloading and reloading them.
BTW, it still works just fine in OG 93.1.1, which is the version I have on this computer. So apparently this worked once, and stopped working between then and now (I don't have all the versions in-between, so can't check when exactly).

Edited to add:
Same thing happens with land-based hangar units: You can't enter.
There are none in my test scenario (didn't think about it till later), but you can easily add one (you'll find some in "Fortifications" of "All Countries", you'll recognize them because they are duplicates with a "[H]" in the name).

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-02-22 19:23, Tuesday

none wrote:
2022-02-22 13:29, Tuesday
Thanks, but I finally made you a small test scenario, it's easier to handle (in the actual scenario you'd have to fight for a while till you can land your troops...).
Drop it in OpenGeneral's existing NOKORP EFile scenario folder.

It's a tiny map with two destroyers carrying each an infantry unit in their hangars, and a small patch of land to land them on. Try unloading and reloading them.
BTW, it still works just fine in OG 93.1.1, which is the version I have on this computer. So apparently this worked once, and stopped working between then and now (I don't have all the versions in-between, so can't check when exactly).
Using OG version 0.93.4.RC2 (21 December 2021) it works as expected in my PC.
I can move the ship and disembark the infantry, then, the next turn I can embark again regardless there are no ports in scenario :dunno

Are you sure you are using the same version and equip.cfg than me ?

Code: Select all

* ------------  Carriers

ground_carrier=9
* 0 disabled(default), set >0  to define different options summing up values (bitwise logic)
* any value no zero allow to enter into empty carrier's hangar
* 1 enables to enter/launch
* 2 enables these options: Combat Support, AirDefense and FireSupport
* 4 disables being launched (taking off) units.
* 8 allow land units to enter naval-class carriers out of port  

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2022-02-22 20:05, Tuesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2022-02-22 19:23, Tuesday
Using OG version 0.93.4.RC2 (21 December 2021) it works as expected in my PC.
OMG, the dreaded Heisenbug. :whine

I don't understand, I just unzipped the latest OG "full install" download, and then replaced the existing old NOCORP EFile folder with the updated one... There is not much which can go wrong.
(For the record OpenGen.exe is 6290944 bytes and last modified 25 Dec 2020 (?!?).)

LuisGuzman wrote:
2022-02-22 19:23, Tuesday
Are you sure you are using the same version and equip.cfg than me ?
Yes, it's the original NOKORP equip.cfg, unchanged since 2018. It already had the right setting back then. And while I extensively reworked the EFile itself, I didn't touch the settings I was quite happy with.
Just in case, I just checked once more, and it's still the right setting. :huh

All right, I copied the whole installation to my laptop (under Wine), and it didn't work the same way. Open General says it's v.0.93.4.0, 25 Dec 2020 (so indeed not the right date). Where do I go from here? Re-download the whole thing just in case?

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-02-23 07:36, Wednesday

:doh I thought None was using RC2 already so I took as a fail in latest RC2
Thanks for clarification :bow

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-02-23 07:36, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2022-02-23 07:36, Wednesday
:doh I thought None was using RC2 already
I'm using the latest "back to the future" 0.93.4.2RC,
so I took as a fail in latest RC2
Thanks for clarification :bow

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2022-02-23 12:14, Wednesday

:doh
Whoa guys, now I'm completely confused. What I'm actually using is the latest All-in-one Installer, which is supposed to be (according to the website) last modified 2021-12-15 03:09 (so newer than the official 0.93.4.0), but which once unzipped claims to be last modified 2020-12-25. So apparently it's the same, even if it has a different size. Go figure. :dunno
Remember my topic a month ago, specifically about this?
I wrote:About a year back I downloaded what seemed the latest full installer (0.93.4.0 (25-Dec-2020)), 583.4 MB.
Today I discovered a new full installer (apparently from 15-Dec-2021), 588.1 MB (so it's clearly not the same).
Anyway.
Whatever the mystery new old version might be, it doesn't explain why hangars don't work in it, since apparently they worked since at least 0.93.1. If that version is somehow broken you definitely should do something about it, since it's currently the official download anybody will get when trying to download Open General. Could somebody else please test it, right out of the box?

Thanks sympatyk, I downloaded the RC zip and will try it out in a couple hours. :ihope it will work...

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2022-02-23 13:30, Wednesday

It works for wines 7, 10, 11 for sure
It was proven ...
The topic was here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=113&start=400#p12187
Luis corrected and published RC
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=113&start=400#p12268

Don't look at the size of the file, its version - just the modification date
Everything in yellow is the same
Only green identifies the correct file

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-02-23 13:43, Wednesday

The file size of the installer is not the same because at least the Alpenkorps campaign has been added to the Kaiser Efile (1,68mb/1,78mb on disc). And maybe there have been other changes to efiles and campaigns throughout the year. I don't remember.
Image Slava Ukraini!

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2022-02-23 14:07, Wednesday

randowe wrote:
2022-02-23 13:43, Wednesday
The file size of the installer is not the same because at least the Alpenkorps campaign has been added to the Kaiser Efile (1,68mb/1,78mb on disc). And maybe there have been other changes to efiles and campaigns throughout the year. I don't remember.
ok!
We are talking about the properties of the recent OpenGen.exe files

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-02-23 14:17, Wednesday

Yes, but i was refering to none's
About a year back I downloaded what seemed the latest full installer (0.93.4.0 (25-Dec-2020)), 583.4 MB.
Today I discovered a new full installer (apparently from 15-Dec-2021), 588.1 MB (so it's clearly not the same).
Between december 2020 and december 2021 there is a gap of 4.7 mb. That's why i mentioned the Alpenkorps campaign beeing added. Then there may have been other changes to efiles and campaigns which could easily account for the few mb.
Image Slava Ukraini!

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2022-02-23 14:40, Wednesday

Thanks again guys.

I'd like to report that the RC files fixed my hangar issue.
This means that the current OG download is indeed broken! :eek

PrinzMurmel
Private
Private

Post by PrinzMurmel » 2022-04-13 08:50, Wednesday

Hm,
I am facing the same issue. I noticed it with the Thermopylae scenario in the BASEKORP Blitz campaign. There is some cruiser with a hangar, but I can't bring any troops into it. I downloaded and installed the OpenGenRC_0.93.4.RC5.1 and hoped that would fix it, but it doesn't :huh
I have ground_carrier=1, I also tried 9 without effect.
Maybe the RC5.1 lost the fix from RC2 (which I didn't try out)?

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-04-13 10:59, Wednesday

The hangar of that cruiser is for recon planes.
Image Slava Ukraini!

PrinzMurmel
Private
Private

Post by PrinzMurmel » 2022-04-20 10:00, Wednesday

Ok, understand. So normally we never have infantry hangars I guess (how do I recognize one?).
I tried to get a plane (several types) in that hangar, but did not succeed. Ctrl-K for example did not work. How do I do it?

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2022-04-20 10:59, Wednesday

:howdy
It all depends on the settings in the e-file, aircraft characteristics and available units (by weight)

The plane can only land on battleships and cruisers

The plane can only land on aircraft carriers

The plane can only land on a special platform

An airplane cannot land on any ship

PrinzMurmel
Private
Private

Post by PrinzMurmel » 2022-04-25 12:57, Monday

Aaaah, aircraft characteristics!
Now I understand that lower pane! Actually, I was sometimes wondering why I should buy an airfield in addition to a plane :lol
Thanks a lot!