Want to create a campaign, can I create a new nation?

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
rwlp
Private
Private

Want to create a campaign, can I create a new nation?

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-12 17:47, Sunday

Wanted to create two new campaigns, the nations however are not in the game, am I able to add them?

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Want to create a campaign, can I create a new nation?

Post by randowe » 2022-06-12 18:12, Sunday

rwlp wrote:
2022-06-12 17:47, Sunday
Wanted to create two new campaigns, the nations however are not in the game, am I able to add them?
The nations are set at efile level. While most efiles share many nations, some are only part of an individual efile.
Creating a new nation would also need the creation of all units of that nation, medals, flags, leader names and so on.
But these newly created nations would only be part of the efile they were created for.

Which nations are missing and which efile do you want to use for your campaigns? What is the time frame of your campaigns?
Image Slava Ukraini!

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-12 18:29, Sunday

I think OLGWW2 is best as it seems to have the most nations for WW2.

Nations Afghanistan (old flag with green at bottom), first East Turkestan Republic, Iran/Persia, and Dominion of Newfoundland (this one for a separate campaign).

the battles/conflicts are all around 1934.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kashgar_(1934)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Eas ... n_Republic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_Wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_conflict

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_in ... f_Xinjiang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yarkand

I read online (not sure if true, maybe a theory?) that Afghanistan had warm relations with Axis powers, wanted to create a "alternate reality" campaign were more members join axis powers, such as Iran, Turkey, Afghanistan, Argentina etc.

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-12 18:57, Sunday

I just checked, Persia is already in as a nation.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-12 20:33, Sunday

Your campaign plans certainly are interesting!

Both Latin Generals efiles have been abandoned long time ago. I joined 2017 and never met its creator. Both efiles are also the only ones (as far as i know) that have a license. So it is not possible to simply add new nations to the efile and share the work. Of course you can edit them for your private pleasure.

Speaking generally, one would have to add the new nations with flags, leader pictures, roundels, leader names, etc. to an efile and then create the units for the nations (creating units is mostly copy and paste of existing units). Actually adding a new nation is easy, it's just the "circumstances" that can make it hard :lol

How do you wish to proceed?
Image Slava Ukraini!

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-12 21:22, Sunday

I think I'll give it a try, maybe on a different efile though as I'd like to share with other players, any efiles you would personally recommend?

Any advice on how to get started?

Thank you btw!!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-12 22:06, Sunday

Of course you should choose the efile that you like the most as a player and where you have the most fun! Every efile has different settings and units and it is also a matter of taste and personal preferences. So my advice would be to play as many different campaigns of different efiles as possible to find the right efile for your plans.

I have my own efile, so i am biased anyway :lol What i can tell, is, that the only 1930s/WW2 efiles that are maintained at the moment are Gustlik efile and my (ATOMIC). The creators of LXF, nokorp and Basekorp efiles may be around or not. I can't tell for sure.
But, and that is maybe most important, you won't get much support, if any, if you choose an abandoned efile.
That is sad and i don't like to write that, but it is true :(

You can also take an existing efile and modify (and rename) it to your needs. If the creator is still around you can notify him or ask for permission to use the stuff but as i understand it, it has always been common sense (or unspoken rule) that all the stuff, maps, icons, etc. can be used and modified by anyone if not stated otherwise like with the license.

Speaking about campaigns: to get started my advice would be to create a standalone scenario first.
A campaign is just a bunch of scenarios played in an order. So if you mastered to create one scenario, you can create another one and connect them.
I would also suggest to start with a short campaign with no more than (around) 12 scenarios.
Image Slava Ukraini!

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-13 18:22, Monday

I'll give it a try on your efile I think if that is ok!

How do I create a new nation? And I created a few scenario's before so that shouldn't be hard!

Thank you!!! :cool

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-13 18:39, Monday

If you want, i can add the nations to the efile. No problemo :cool

Persia already exists as Imperial State of Iran (1925–1979)
Afghanistan already exists as Kingdom of Afghanistan (1926–1973) (with flag from 1930)
Argentina and Turkey already exist.

So i would add East Turkestan Republic and Dominion of Newfoundland.
Then you have to tell me which units you need in which years. You can check out the other nations as idea about the units. The system of infantry units is the same for all nations in the efile.

If you want to work on the efile yourself and take my efile as a base you basically start your own efile and have to add the new nations to nations.txt and the leader names to namesex.txt. Then you have to add the needed graphics to the files in the opendat folder.
Then you have to add the units you need to the new nations. Since all unit slots are occupied in my efile, you have to delete existing units if you want to add new ones.
But all of this is in the responsability of the (new) efile designer and my liability ends here :lol :phew
Image Slava Ukraini!

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-13 20:56, Monday

I checked your efile, the amount of nations is pretty impressive! yours definitely is the best, there is even axis Russia :D

Dominion of Newfoundland wouldn't be too big, you could use Canadian/British unit models, Newfoundland had a milita, and artillery regiments, and not really much else in WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ ... rld_War_II

there was a Newfoundland milita, the Newfoundland regiment, and two royal artillery regiments (my grandpa was in the one in Europe) they used 25 pounder guns, 7.2" Howitzer and the 155mm' long Tom.

I am unsure what unit models to use for East Turkestan, I would imagine they are similar to Turkey or other muslim nations, I can't imagine they had much tech, I will look it up to see if I can find which weaponry they used.

Also, are there maps for the areas where the battles took place? your efile seems to have a lot of maps! which is great :D can maps be created?

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-13 20:58, Monday

also, I wonder if two nations should be created with the same units? up to you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Eas ... n_Republic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Ea ... n_Republic

both have slightly different flags, the second republic was a puppet state of the soviet union.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-13 21:50, Monday

So i will add militia and regular infantry for the Newfoundland regiment as well as the artillery. Also some basic trucks for transport and bridging infantry. Bridging infantry maybe is needed to cross rivers and things like that. I guess the infantry would also have some MG, so i will add it as well.
I also can add a staff unit.

I guess for a obscure country like East Turkestan it is always good to have at least some obsolete 19th century artillery and MG units. Then some infantry and cavalry, as well as cavalry scouts. Otherwise there would be nothing to play with.
In the game it is also always possible to borrow units from other nations and field them for an other nation when building a scenario.

Units can be added quickly to the efile, so it is always possible to add new units. I decided to clear West and East Germany, that'll give me more than 140 free unit slots. I wiped out many nations already to make room for other units :lol Must be more than 1000 units already that got deleted :bonk

I plan to release a new version of the efile in 2 or 3 weeks. So we have enough time to add all the stuff.

Speaking about maps. There is the mapfinder website where you will find more than 1500 maps: http://mapfinder.gilestiel.eu/
You can filter for countries. China has some nice maps but i guess none of them is near Xinjiang :huh But you have to check it out. Maybe you find maps than can substitute for the maps needed.
Basically a map consists of a picture and a mapx file. The mapx file contains all the terrain information, roads, city names, etc.
Everyone can create maps using a program like Photoshop or Gimp. The mapx files are created with Suite.
It is even possible to play without a picture map and use "tiled" maps. But i always play with picture maps because they look beautiful and add to the fun! But there are also players that never play with picture maps.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Lemmy
Private
Private

Post by Lemmy » 2022-06-14 06:45, Tuesday

Hi Randowe,

I am playing OG from a long time, but it is the first time I am writting on the forum :) .
I have tried quite all the differents E-files and yours is the one that probably corresponds the best to what I'm looking for in this kind of game.

However I have a question for you: In my opinion there is a nation missing (or specific troops): the SS.
I know this can be a tricky subject for the reasons we all know, but I wanted to know your point of view on this subject.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-14 11:16, Tuesday

Lemmy wrote:
2022-06-14 06:45, Tuesday
Hi Randowe,

I am playing OG from a long time, but it is the first time I am writting on the forum :) .
I have tried quite all the differents E-files and yours is the one that probably corresponds the best to what I'm looking for in this kind of game.

However I have a question for you: In my opinion there is a nation missing (or specific troops): the SS.
I know this can be a tricky subject for the reasons we all know, but I wanted to know your point of view on this subject.
Welcome to the forum :howdy I am happy that you like my efile :cool I always tried to maximize playability and fun while offerning a large variety of units.

As i am a German living in Germany i decided against having SS in my efile when i started to work on it because i didn't want to make it possible to play with SS.
I already had the news headlines in my head, like: "Guy creates SS game!" :bonk
And i never understood the fuzz about the SS anyway, be it real life or video games. It's more a myth imo.
For example, is it really justified that SS infantry has better stats than standard infantry?

I later added a black Balkenkreuz flag to the efile (as a seperate nation without units). So it is possible when building a scenario to borrow units from the red Balkenkreuz Germany and field them under the black Balkenkreuz. But i don't plan to add SS units.
And if in the future we get more unit slots and i decide that i need to add units to the black Balkenkreuz Germany, i still would call it Germany.
But yeah, it's a tricky subject.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Lemmy
Private
Private

Post by Lemmy » 2022-06-14 11:52, Tuesday

Hi,

Thanks for your answer and explainations.
randowe wrote:
2022-06-14 11:16, Tuesday
As i am a German living in Germany i decided against having SS in my efile when i started to work on it because i didn't want to make it possible to play with SS.
I already had the news headlines in my head, like: "Student creates SS game!" :bonk
I totally understand your point of view.
It's the eternal debate in war games and historical reenactments.....what to do with SS and other nazi symbols......some decide not to use them (sometimes for legal reasons) others decide to keep them for reasons of historical reality.......whatever the choice there is no right or wrong choice :)
randowe wrote:
And i never understood the fuzz about the SS anyway, be it real life or video games. It's more a myth imo.
For example, is it really justified that SS infantry has better stats than standard infantry?
My question was not based on a "fuzz about the SS", but more just to understand your choice.
In fact, as they were very fanatical troops, even if their equipment was not different from the regular army's, their engagements in the fights made them feared opponents....which can explain statistics very slightly superior to regular units.
randowe wrote:
I later added a black Balkenkreuz flag to the efile (as a seperate nation without units). So it is possible when building a scenario to borrow units from the red Balkenkreuz Germany and field them under the black Balkenkreuz. But i don't plan to add SS units.
And if in the future we get more unit slots and i decide that i need to add units to the black Balkenkreuz Germany, i still would call it Germany.
For the one who want to have these kind of "elite" unit it is a good alternative and smart way to get around the problem ;)

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-14 15:07, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2022-06-13 21:50, Monday
So i will add militia and regular infantry for the Newfoundland regiment as well as the artillery. Also some basic trucks for transport and bridging infantry. Bridging infantry maybe is needed to cross rivers and things like that. I guess the infantry would also have some MG, so i will add it as well.
I also can add a staff unit.

I guess for a obscure country like East Turkestan it is always good to have at least some obsolete 19th century artillery and MG units. Then some infantry and cavalry, as well as cavalry scouts. Otherwise there would be nothing to play with.
In the game it is also always possible to borrow units from other nations and field them for an other nation when building a scenario.

Units can be added quickly to the efile, so it is always possible to add new units. I decided to clear West and East Germany, that'll give me more than 140 free unit slots. I wiped out many nations already to make room for other units :lol Must be more than 1000 units already that got deleted :bonk

I plan to release a new version of the efile in 2 or 3 weeks. So we have enough time to add all the stuff.

Speaking about maps. There is the mapfinder website where you will find more than 1500 maps: http://mapfinder.gilestiel.eu/
You can filter for countries. China has some nice maps but i guess none of them is near Xinjiang :huh But you have to check it out. Maybe you find maps than can substitute for the maps needed.
Basically a map consists of a picture and a mapx file. The mapx file contains all the terrain information, roads, city names, etc.
Everyone can create maps using a program like Photoshop or Gimp. The mapx files are created with Suite.
It is even possible to play without a picture map and use "tiled" maps. But i always play with picture maps because they look beautiful and add to the fun! But there are also players that never play with picture maps.
I had a look, surprisingly the capital of Newfoundland is included in that database, quite surprised as Newfoundland is usually forgotten about internationally.

Had a look at Chinese maps, no Xinjiang, but it is rugged and deserty and mountainous there, so middle eastern and central Asian maps will work fine I think!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-14 15:35, Tuesday

Back in the day i made 4 Canada maps and St. Johns was one of them. You know that it was an important allied port in the Atlantic and Convoy Battles, so i thought it would be nice to have that map. Though i never used it myself yet.

I added Newfoundland and Turkestan to the efile and also some basic units for Newfoundland. If you have some additional info about the dates when the artillery became available for NFLD Regiment, the trucks used to pull the guns or the Mark version of the 7.2 inch gun, please let me know. I also used some random British medals for now, but i guess it would be nice to have some Newfoundland Badge with an elk :huh Everything can be changed quickly, so stuff like that can be updated later.

The East Turkestan Republic has no units yet, but i already checked the flag in the game and it looks good :yes

So technically these nations are in the game now.

Please note that, for example, the name Militia 38 is needed to help me filter the units, even if that unit will be appear first in September 1939.

Image Slava Ukraini!

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-14 16:10, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2022-06-14 15:35, Tuesday
Back in the day i made 4 Canada maps and St. Johns was one of them. You know that it was an important allied port in the Atlantic and Convoy Battles, so i thought it would be nice to have that map. Though i never used it myself yet.

I added Newfoundland and Turkestan to the efile and also some basic units for Newfoundland. If you have some additional info about the dates when the artillery became available for NFLD Regiment, the trucks used to pull the guns or the Mark version of the 7.2 inch gun, please let me know. I also used some random British medals for now, but i guess it would be nice to have some Newfoundland Badge with an elk :huh Everything can be changed quickly, so stuff like that can be updated later.

The East Turkestan Republic has no units yet, but i already checked the flag in the game and it looks good :yes

So technically these nations are in the game now.

Please note that, for example, the name Militia 38 is needed to help me filter the units, even if that unit will be appear first in September 1939.

Thank you! I will look into all this, maybe even contact the war museum here. Thank you for making that map btw, it is great to have my home town as a map on this game :)

Also, Police units and Rangers might be useful, Newfoundland had about 60 Rangers when WW2 broke out, and the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (Police)

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-14 17:57, Tuesday

I was still relatively new into map making when i made the St. John's map. Nowadays i would make it bigger and more beautiful :lol

Constabulary is added :yes Do you think the Rangers are more like fast light infantry with mountain movement or should they be in recon class and used for scouting? Where they mounted?
Image Slava Ukraini!

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-14 18:26, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2022-06-14 17:57, Tuesday
I was still relatively new into map making when i made the St. John's map. Nowadays i would make it bigger and more beautiful :lol

Constabulary is added :yes Do you think the Rangers are more like fast light infantry with mountain movement or should they be in recon class and used for scouting? Where they mounted?
It is done really well, you got the airport and all the communities spot on!

I just looked into it, it seems the Rangers were police in more isolated communities as the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary only had around 170 officers spread throughout Newfoundland. It is up to you, both fit, but recon and scouting possibly with mountain movement would work best I think, I don't think they were armed much, if at all, maybe pistols, it says on the Wikipedia page they received small arms training.

I am not sure if they were mounted, some police had horses though.

https://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/pol ... angers.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_Ranger_Force

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-14 19:18, Tuesday

rwlp wrote:
2022-06-14 18:26, Tuesday
I just looked into it, it seems the Rangers were police in more isolated communities as the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary only had around 170 officers spread throughout Newfoundland. It is up to you, both fit, but recon and scouting possibly with mountain movement would work best I think, I don't think they were armed much, if at all, maybe pistols, it says on the Wikipedia page they received small arms training.
I read they also had 3 patrol boats but i could not find further information on the boats.
For now i will copy the Canadian Pacific Coast Militia Ranger unit. They have 3 Soft Attack and 4 Mountain Movement and are in Recon Class.
So the unit is in the game now and as i've said, we can edit things later if needed.

If you want, you can send a pm with your email adress and i'll mail you the latest efile version. Then you can take a look at the units.

Newfoundland is nation 116 in the efile and East Turkestan is nation 117. It will be hard to find icons for East Turkestan so we have rely on icons from Turkey, Arab countries, auxiliary and colonial troops, and things like that.

Maybe you can write a little bit about your campaign plans so i can get an idea about all the nations that you want to use?
Image Slava Ukraini!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-14 19:35, Tuesday

Lemmy wrote:
2022-06-14 11:52, Tuesday
randowe wrote:
For the one who want to have these kind of "elite" unit it is a good alternative and smart way to get around the problem ;)
I mean, i could add such units to this nation. I would simply have to copy them from the "other Germany" and choose different icons and may add some initiative to make them more elite ;) All the icons exist and for example, the vehicles could use the dark grey "Panzergrau". There would be no mention of SS needed.
But i would not need such a nation and there was no need from other campaign/scenario designers either (yet). Actually there is only one designer besides me, Major Heinz, who used the efile to create campaigns yet.

I also would have to ask Luis to raise the unit limit once again. As i have said in this thread i deleted already so many units to make room for other units and wiped out whole nations but the "Black Germany" nation would have at least 300 units and there is no way i can find enough free slots :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

rwlp
Private
Private

Post by rwlp » 2022-06-14 22:07, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2022-06-14 19:18, Tuesday
rwlp wrote:
2022-06-14 18:26, Tuesday
I read they also had 3 patrol boats but i could not find further information on the boats.
For now i will copy the Canadian Pacific Coast Militia Ranger unit. They have 3 Soft Attack and 4 Mountain Movement and are in Recon Class.
So the unit is in the game now and as i've said, we can edit things later if needed.

If you want, you can send a pm with your email adress and i'll mail you the latest efile version. Then you can take a look at the units.

Newfoundland is nation 116 in the efile and East Turkestan is nation 117. It will be hard to find icons for East Turkestan so we have rely on icons from Turkey, Arab countries, auxiliary and colonial troops, and things like that.

Maybe you can write a little bit about your campaign plans so i can get an idea about all the nations that you want to use?
I sent you a PM with email, also I will include campaign plans in emails :)

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-14 22:30, Tuesday

rwlp wrote:
2022-06-14 22:07, Tuesday
I sent you a PM with email, also I will include campaign plans in emails :)
You got mail :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

Clarar
Private
Private

Post by Clarar » 2023-09-21 07:30, Thursday

randowe wrote:
2022-06-12 18:12, Sunday
rwlp wrote:
2022-06-12 17:47, Sunday
The nations are set at efile level. While most efiles share many nations, some are only part of an individual efile.
Creating a new nation would also need the creation of all units of that nation, medals, flags, leader names and so on.
But these newly created nations would only be part of the efile they were created for.

Which nations are missing and which efile do you want to use for your campaigns? What is the time frame of your campaigns?
Hi friend
Managing nations at the efile level, especially with the need to create associated elements, ensures a cohesive and customized experience for each efile in the context of a larger project.

Clarar
Private
Private

Post by Clarar » 2023-09-21 07:32, Thursday

Hello guys
Creating a new nation for your campaign is possible, but it involves various aspects like unit design, medals, flags, and leaders. It's a significant undertaking but can enhance your campaign's depth.Free Fire name