Mysterious {i} and Shortcut Title

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
Korval
Private
Private

Mysterious {i} and Shortcut Title

Post by Korval » 2022-07-22 11:57, Friday

I recently started playing Open General again and noticed the following:

1) In the "Dogs of War" Campaign a number of the units have a strange {i} in front of the unit name.
Example - Recon units: {i} M1

2) A minor, but persistent, annoyance but worth fixing, the Open General Shortcut on install is "Play Open General". The issue with this is that if you short alphabetically (which I do, all of my game launch shortcuts are in a folder with *lots* of games), it sorts under "P" and not "O". Since the title of the game is "Open General", whenever I come back to the game after a hiatus, I'm confused where it is...

So recommend changing shortcut to the simpler "Open General" (and *not* "Play Open General")

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Re: Mysterious {i} and Shortcut Title

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-07-22 12:08, Friday

Hi Korval :welcome again
1) In the "Dogs of War" Campaign a number of the units have a strange {i} in front of the unit name.
Example - Recon units: {i} M1
that {i} shows that there is an entry available in the "pedia" for that unit
2) A minor, but persistent, annoyance but worth fixing, the Open General Shortcut on install is "Play Open General". The issue with this is that if you short alphabetically (which I do, all of my game launch shortcuts are in a folder with *lots* of games), it sorts under "P" and not "O". Since the title of the game is "Open General", whenever I come back to the game after a hiatus, I'm confused where it is...
So recommend changing shortcut to the simpler "Open General" (and *not* "Play Open General")
You know that you can edit the shortcut and rename as you prefer, right?
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

Korval
Private
Private

Post by Korval » 2022-07-22 21:21, Friday

Hi Luis -

Thanks for the reply! Interesting about the {i}... I'll have to figure out how to look this stuff up in the Pedia... Is that something in game (?) or a reference to Wikipedia...?

I already edited the shortcut, but my recommendation was to change it in the installer as it doesn't follow the standard convention for other applications and it messes up sorting alphabetically.
V/R - brett

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-07-23 06:10, Saturday

Korval wrote:
2022-07-22 21:21, Friday
Thanks for the reply! Interesting about the {i}... I'll have to figure out how to look this stuff up in the Pedia... Is that something in game (?) or a reference to Wikipedia...?
Hi Brett

No, it doesn't reference to wikipedia; it pops up the file content located in the UNITPEDIA folder subdirectory of the EFILE folder.
To see the pedia intro, just click into the text having {i}.

This feature was introduced in
http://www.luis-guzman.com/OpenGenChangeLog.html wrote: OpenGen Version 0.93.0.0 (24-Jun-2019)
  • Added the possibility to define a text (and optional image) file as Unit Pedia, that can be checked from dialogs showing units (HQ, Purchase, Inspect, Unit's Details). The "pedia" info can be shown clicking any text starting by token: {i}
:howdy
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game