New Wish List for OpenGen / OpenSuite 2023-2024

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Wish List summary for OpenGen / OpenSuite

Post by none » 2023-08-17 10:02, Thursday

:yeah :gracias

First suggestion (originally posted as a separate thread):
---------------------------------------------------------

Could we have a system which allows to display hints (help) for each scenario? (Something like the unitpedia)

I'm imagining something appearing on bottom of the scenario briefing panel (some button which, if there are hints, appears beside the general briefing button), which opens a text page with hints/help concerning that scenario (written by the scenario maker obviously).

Potentially put also the same button on the campaign selection page, so timid/undecided players can read hints before selecting a campaign to play.
Obviously if there are no hints, there would be no button/link. :dunno

It's actually more or less the same system as the exisitng Unitpedia, except that you can only launch it from the "briefing" panels.
Last edited by none on 2023-08-18 13:37, Friday, edited 1 time in total.

connor71
Private
Private

Post by connor71 » 2023-08-17 11:49, Thursday

Changing the name of the unit by the f2 key
= =/\= ====================================================
Open General :: Polska :: http://opengeneral.pl/
Forum Open General :: Polska :: http://forum.opengeneral.pl/

Ramon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Change the default (fixed) leader attribute

Post by Ramon » 2023-08-17 18:06, Thursday

We talk about this in these post: http://forum.open-general.com/viewtopi ... 25#p16868
In my opinion some leader attributes are quite useless and others too-good-to-be-true. In the random attribute is a matter of luck :huh but I think for fixed attribute I think we can have a better option. If is possible to change of course...
My changes suggestion will be:

INFANTRY________________Reconnaissance Movement
ARTILLERY ______________Aggressive Attack
AIR_DEFENSE ____________Overwhelming Attack
FIGHTER ________________ First Strike [/center]
TACTICAL BOMBER _______ All Weather Combat
FLAK ___________________ Devastating Fire

Ramon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Reduce the "luck"

Post by Ramon » 2023-08-17 18:18, Thursday

I don't fully understand how combat formulas works :huh but sometimes I have very different outcomes that the "estimated" by the game. It is true that your good luck compensate your bad luck in the long run. But in the short run sequence of bad luck are not uncommon and it can be devastating (and frustrating)
My suggestion is to reduce the range of possible outcomes to +/- 2 from the game estimation.

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Change the default (fixed) leader attribute

Post by none » 2023-08-17 18:39, Thursday

Ramon wrote:
2023-08-17 18:06, Thursday
My changes suggestion will be:
Ow, major can of worms! I'm afraid there are as many (well-argued yet wildly different) opinions on this as there are people you ask...

But, if we had more leaders, not only 15, some useless (for one of us) ones wouldn't matter... :evil

How many?
Don't know, somebody will say it would be silly if in a small 20-unit core everyone has a leader, but then what about my usual 100+ cores?
I guess some number checking might need to be done, so as long as cores <50, you get the standard 15 leaders, but if cores grow to more than 50 units, you all of a sudden can get 30 leaders.
This would also solve the issue of all leaders being distributed at the start of the campaign, but I'm afraid Luis will want to strangle me... :lol

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Reduce the "luck"

Post by none » 2023-08-17 18:44, Thursday

Ramon wrote:
2023-08-17 18:18, Thursday
bad luck are not uncommon and it can be devastating (and frustrating)
True but the solution is simple: Save before hitting "End turn"! Saved my bacon more than once.
I do it all the times,that way if the dice roll is particularly unfavorable (or rain continues unerringly for the 8th turn), I have the option to reload and re-hit "End turn".

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-08-17 19:07, Thursday

Another one. As I said, catnip. :lol

Could we have an only-aggressive AI setting? One where the unit never bothers guarding VHs, only to capture them?
Just absolutely no hex guarding ever, under no circumstances. It would be to avoid the AI's best units turning babysitters instead of keeping attacking.

See this thread for a detailed explanation. Having AI play against AI was an eye-opener...
Last edited by none on 2023-08-18 13:38, Friday, edited 1 time in total.

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-08-18 08:09, Friday

In case you wonder, no, I'm not sitting here trying desperately to find things to wish for!... It's all about things I have found while making/playing scenarios, they tend to accumulate in the back of my mind. And I even prioritize, discarding my personal wishes like those resupplying submarines, which I admit would be largely unused except by me...
Anyway, here goes:

Can we have a means to preset (fix) the weather for given turns?
I mean something like the turn messages, where you can set that "in turn x, the weather will be clear/overcast/rain/snow", no matter what.
Outside those days you fix, weather would follow the existing region/season mechanism. Ground conditions don't need to be set, they would follow.

Why? If you want to recreate historical events, you need to keep the weather more or less similar, at least for key events. Region & season-based random weather is sometimes too hit and miss, I have met very surprising outliers, like for instance recently a throughout pleasant, sunny autumn in Russia (what about the dreaded Rasputitsa?)... I fixed the ground condition to mud, but it feels strange to play some 20 turns of sunny weather in mud. Making it rain every now and then would fix that. My point is that the random weather can indeed ruin a scenario for the player, and make an otherwise easy battle impossible to win, because for instance he can't use his very important air force. Being able to set weather would alleviate this and prevent excesses.

What about the weather forecast (upper right corner) you might ask. Well, since the game does know there is a specific weather even coming, it shouldn't have a problem "predicting" it (or not).
Last edited by none on 2023-08-18 13:38, Friday, edited 1 time in total.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-08-18 11:18, Friday

Here are some of my wishes :cool

- Healer for Air units.

- More than 15 leaders. Idealy a designer can set the number of leaders in a campaign. 15 leaders would be the default setting, so it has no unwanted effect on older campaigns. Even 20 leaders would be an improvement.

- As a player i also wish i could decline unwanted leaders. So see which leader the unit would get and i have the option to decline it. Maybe a infobox and yes/no options.
Image Slava Ukraini!

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-08-18 13:35, Friday

randowe wrote:
2023-08-18 11:18, Friday
- Healer for Air units.

- More than 15 leaders.
Already mentioned! :)

randowe wrote:
Maybe a infobox and yes/no options.
I second that.
Or just a way to dismiss an unwanted leader afterwards (in the heat of battle I often oversee that a leader was born when it happens during the AI's turn: Too much happening at the same time. Obviously wouldn't happen if all of a sudden I get a confirmation box shoved in my face, but still).

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-08-18 14:19, Friday

none wrote:
2023-08-18 13:35, Friday
Already mentioned! :)
I know. I just wanted to give it a boost :)
Image Slava Ukraini!

Ramon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ramon » 2023-08-18 16:07, Friday

none wrote:
2023-08-18 13:35, Friday
randowe wrote:
Maybe a infobox and yes/no options.
I second that.
So do I ! :cool

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

New Wish List for OpenGen / OpenSuite 2023-2024

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-08-18 17:18, Friday

As it looks that not only None is wanting to dream, I've decided to open a new topic to gather wishes to be evaluated around Christmas 2023 and eventually work along 2024 :)

I am moving latest post from the old Wish List summary here to allow wide discussion, opinions, etc, and then I'll be adding all feasible ideas yo the previous Wish topoc, which will be locked again

Hope this would be easy to follow and keep a bit ordered, at least for me :yes
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: New Wish List for OpenGen / OpenSuite 2023-2024

Post by none » 2023-08-26 10:20, Saturday

Other wish:

Fix AI handling of MSU units!

Imagine an unit having no attacks whatsoever (all disabled in the E-File), and marked MSU. What does the AI do with it? Send it straight at the enemy! Despite it being unable to fight and MSU...
It sure does make the player's task easier, but still...

The AI should keep MSU units out of harm's way as much as possible, not send them straight to get killed. :(

They might fight (if they are capable of!) but conservatively, without taking any risks (thinking about aircraft carriers or battleships here, both logical candidates for being MSU).

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-08-26 16:35, Saturday

Arrrgh.

Other wish: Some indicator when the game is not at 100% zoom!
Simply a red "Zoomed" in a corner would do.

Finger must have slipped at some point, and all of a sudden everything was wonky: The gray fog of war was broken in rows, and the size numbers of units had become unreadable cryptic symbols. Took me quite a while to realize I had zoomed out*, I even rebooted my laptop... :doh
IIRC it's not the first time this happens to me.

* Units being slightly smaller was finally the giveaway, but at 1920x1080 they're not very big to start with. Took me a while and loading other, unzoomed savegames to spot the difference ("Honey, I Shrunk the Tanks!").

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-08-30 08:16, Wednesday

none wrote:
2023-08-26 16:35, Saturday
Arrrgh.

Other wish: Some indicator when the game is not at 100% zoom!
Simply a red "Zoomed" in a corner would do.
But, that is already done :huh

Don't you see on the upper left corner a text like Z1:100% or Z1:80% or Z2:120% ????
That shows the zoom percentage in use
It is true that top banner text is sometimes hidden by combat results, specially during AI turn, but you should always see the zoom % when you are playing your turn.

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-08-30 08:21, Wednesday

connor71 wrote:
2023-08-17 11:49, Thursday
Changing the name of the unit by the f2 key
Added to the todo-list :yes

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-08-30 08:34, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-08-30 08:16, Wednesday
Don't you see on the upper left corner a text like Z1:100% or Z1:80% or Z2:120% ????
:doh Uh, I probably saw it, but didn't register "Z1" as meaning "zoom"... There is a lot of cryptic debug info (I have learned to ignore) appearing on the game window frame, and for me "Z1" is either the German Type 1934-class destroyer "Z1 Leberecht Maass" or a BMW coupe... :lol

Could we have the "Z1: x%" message changed into a more explicit "Zoom: x%"?

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-08-30 09:00, Wednesday

none wrote:
2023-08-30 08:34, Wednesday
LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-08-30 08:16, Wednesday
:doh Uh, I probably saw it, but didn't register "Z1" as meaning "zoom"... There is a lot of cryptic debug info (I have learned to ignore) appearing on the game window frame, and for me "Z1" is either the German Type 1934-class destroyer "Z1 Leberecht Maass" or a BMW coupe... :lol

Could we have the "Z1: x%" message changed into a more explicit "Zoom: x%"?
This is what happens when someone press to get implemented a rather complicated feature :doh

Can see this to decipher the cryptic Z0/Z1/Z2 at: http://www.luis-guzman.com/OpenGen_Interface.html - look for "Zoom]Map"

:howdy

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-08-30 09:27, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-08-30 09:00, Wednesday
Can see this to decipher the cryptic Z0/Z1/Z2 at: http://www.luis-guzman.com/OpenGen_Interface.html - look for "Zoom]Map"
I see.
Could it be displayed as "Zoom0" (or just "Zoom")/"Zoom1"/"Zoom2" instead?

Besides, despite what your page says, no need to hold "Alt" to change zoom, IIRC simply hitting "-" and "+" does it (can't check right now, I'm on the wrong computer). :huh

--Edit:
I confirm, no "Alt" needed. Just - and +.
And more worrying, no, actually there is no display of anything like "Z..." when you zoom. Neither in full screen (no black border), nor in normal mode.
(OG v.0.93.5.0 '16 July 22', on Win11)

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-08-30 10:51, Wednesday

none wrote:
2023-08-30 09:27, Wednesday
Could it be displayed as "Zoom0" (or just "Zoom")/"Zoom1"/"Zoom2" instead?
Top banner is very populate depending the options selected, and IMHO, once you know, it is easy to remember that Z1:120% doesn't mean that game will zap 120% of your units, instead of Zoom is set to 120%
Remember not every body plays at full HD resolution, some guys like 800x600 better to see bigger icons. :|
Besides, despite what your page says, no need to hold "Alt" to change zoom, IIRC simply hitting "-" and "+" does it (can't check right now, I'm on the wrong computer). :huh
Yes that was a last minute change, as some laptops make difficult to use Alt + / Alt -, so I enabled doing too without Alt
And more worrying, no, actually there is no display of anything like "Z..." when you zoom. Neither in full screen (no black border), nor in normal mode.
(OG v.0.93.5.0 '16 July 22', on Win11)
That's strange, I can see Z0 (strategic view) and Z1, Z2 constantly and there is toggle to show/hide :huh

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-08-30 11:31, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-08-30 10:51, Wednesday
Top banner is very populate depending the options selected, and IMHO, once you know, it is easy to remember
The "once you know" is the problem... :lol
Quantum field theory isn't difficult either, once you know... :lol

That been said, there is indeed a small bug about it: I never saw any hint of "Z:..." in my game, so I tried again:
I loaded an old savegame and hit "-" several times to zoom out. Nothing appeared on the black border around the game view - Until, all of a sudden, "Z2:30%" appeared on the left! I don't know if it is the fact I insisted, or if it just needed to get to 30%.

After that the "Z:..." display stayed, even when I zoomed back in to 100%, even when loading another savegame, even after restarting OG.
So, there is something which needed refreshing, and apparently it only happens at 30%...

I think there must be more than just me who never saw this "Z:..." thingy.
There is nothing special about my computer; It's a 1-year old Dell laptop with Win11 Home. :dunno

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-09-12 19:12, Tuesday

I think some carriers should have the abillity af halo deploy.

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-09-12 19:14, Tuesday

Also 1st ability of Flak leader should be change, i think +1 range will be great :ihope

Halber
Private
Private

Post by Halber » 2023-09-14 20:18, Thursday

I have two proposals:

1- That Air hexagons can have clusters of different climates on the map. For example, some Air hexes could have rainy or cloudy weather and others could have clear weather. And that these hexes increase, decrease or change from turn to turn.

2- A card system on the turn screen (single scenario) or on the scenario screen (campaign). The card would be composed of an image, an explanatory text and a checkbox. One to four cards to choose from would enough. This card system would be activated at certain prestige thresholds, very high or very low. And they would have a prestige cost. Some cards could appear randomly on the turn screen. They would be event cards, which would add or subtract prestige to the turn, depending on the player's choice. Or they could be a new piece of equipment, for example. If the card display appears in a campaign, it could appear between scenarios and change the objective, as happened in Panzer I, where the choice was made to go to Moscow or Stalingrad. The player chooses a single one of these cards in a square, and then produces its effect in the game turn or in purchases.
Last edited by Halber on 2023-09-15 15:55, Friday, edited 3 times in total.

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2023-09-15 15:39, Friday

Superlarge units
Units with a check box "superlarge" block adjacent hexes for other units to enter (like pg2 carriers did just this works on dry ground to).

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-09-16 09:01, Saturday

Halber wrote:
2023-09-14 20:18, Thursday
2- A card system on the turn screen (single scenario) or on the scenario screen (campaign). The card would be composed of an image, an explanatory text and a checkbox. One to four cards to choose from would enough. This card system would be activated at certain prestige thresholds, very high or very low. And they would have a prestige cost. Some cards could appear randomly on the turn screen. They would be event cards, which would add or subtract prestige to the turn, depending on the player's choice. Or they could be a new piece of equipment, for example. If the card display appears in a campaign, it could appear between scenarios and change the objective, as happened in Panzer I, where the choice was made to go to Moscow or Stalingrad. The player chooses a single one of these cards in a square, and then produces its effect in the game turn or in purchases.
Basically this is already possible using the choice screen. I use it to let the player choose between prototypes but it can also be used to choose a campaign path (Moscow/Stalingrad). You can also add or reduce prestige and other things, depending on the ideas of the campaign designer.

One of my choice screens, where the player can choose between prototypes looks like this (When you klick a flag a text window will open):

Image Slava Ukraini!

Halber
Private
Private

Post by Halber » 2023-09-16 16:04, Saturday

randowe wrote:
2023-09-16 09:01, Saturday
Halber wrote:
2023-09-14 20:18, Thursday
Basically this is already possible using the choice screen. I use it to let the player choose between prototypes but it can also be used to choose a campaign path (Moscow/Stalingrad). You can also add or reduce prestige and other things, depending on the ideas of the campaign designer.

One of my choice screens, where the player can choose between prototypes looks like this (When you klick a flag a text window will open):

«This is the way» :monster .

Very good idea Randowe, let me congratulate you. It would be about improving that screen, which has a number of five victory hexes:

1) that this choice window can be called by the player.
2) that there could be a randomisation mechanism, after the player's choice, that would allow that after clicking on the Victory hexagons, it would either take effect or have no effect. In other words, a prestige gamble.
3) that a text window appears when clicking or hovering over the victory hex. Giving an explanation before making the player's choice.

Taking your same screen, that the player can call up the scenario, that the choice is subject to a random bet, and that he has an explanation before making his choice. Thanks!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-09-16 17:05, Saturday

Halber wrote:
2023-09-16 16:04, Saturday
2) that there could be a randomisation mechanism, after the player's choice, that would allow that after clicking on the Victory hexagons, it would either take effect or have no effect. In other words, a prestige gamble.
3) that a text window appears when clicking or hovering over the victory hex. Giving an explanation before making the player's choice.

Taking your same screen, that the player can call up the scenario, that the choice is subject to a random bet, and that he has an explanation before making his choice. Thanks!
1 and 2 would require Luis to code it. Option 3 is already there. And a gamble would have to be truly random otherwise people would reload. I guess they will reload anyway :lol There is already the prestige trigger that can be added to scenarios and gives a given or random prestige sum to the players wallet.

When klicking on one of the hex, a text window appears like shown in the picture below.
It is also possible to have a standard scenario intro text before the choice screen. The way i use it, every choice will lead to the very same scenario but depending on the players choice a prototype unit will be added to the player's core. But like i wrote before you could also add different campaign paths or other ideas.

Do you build campaigns?

Image Slava Ukraini!

Halber
Private
Private

Post by Halber » 2023-09-17 09:54, Sunday

randowe wrote:
2023-09-16 17:05, Saturday
Halber wrote:
2023-09-16 16:04, Saturday

1 and 2 would require Luis to code it. Option 3 is already there. And a gamble would have to be truly random otherwise people would reload. I guess they will reload anyway :lol There is already the prestige trigger that can be added to scenarios and gives a given or random prestige sum to the players wallet.

When klicking on one of the hex, a text window appears like shown in the picture below.
It is also possible to have a standard scenario intro text before the choice screen. The way i use it, every choice will lead to the very same scenario but depending on the players choice a prototype unit will be added to the player's core. But like i wrote before you could also add different campaign paths or other ideas.

Do you build campaigns?

randowe excellent and a very practical solution!

Yes, I am interested in creating campaigns with this idea you propose. This "event scenario" I would like to call it. Diplomatic events, political events, war materials, and so on. It has that hard limitation of not being able to be called by the player, as, on the other hand, the unit purchase screen is. I think this would be a huge leap in the game.

Another idea, which has been discussed a lot, is that of stacking, but taking the idea in reverse. "Reverse stacking": that you can call a tactical screen, for example, a hex that changes to another screen, of another map with new hexes, where keeping the same idea of one unit per hex, units can deploy to take victory hexes, contained in it. For example, fighting on a city map, included in a larger operational map. Click on the Event hex, change the screen to this tactical screen. On this new scenario screen you can deploy the units, in their deployment hexes, the units of the larger scenario, and that by their movement, they can reach it at the moment of clicking.

"Event scenario" and "Reverse stacking" could have the same mechanism of being "mini-scenarios" triggered by an (Event hex). Thus, if this were possible, the player can call these scenarios at will, which is the other condition.

hoza
Kadet
Kadet

Post by hoza » 2023-09-18 05:47, Monday

I am not sure if Halbers ideas fit into the clear tactical orientation of scenarios and campaigns of OG!? :grumpy

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-11-01 10:55, Wednesday

Is there a chance, player can sell transport only?

connor71
Private
Private

Post by connor71 » 2023-11-02 08:21, Thursday

In the scenario preview window there was information about the number of available transports.

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-12-28 19:30, Thursday

:hi

Finally I've got a few free time to work on the wish list :phew
I've already done these changes:
  • fixed the issue with .xlog files and .xeml files
  • added new $rem_leader which allows:
    1.- reject a new leader when raised in the human turn
    2.- remove leader from any human player when selected
  • Units' name can be changed using F2 when the unit is selected
  • Number of units increased to 1600 total ((800x2 players, 400 x4 players)
I am afraid about AI being too slow and also about increasing leaders' number, as leaders are a complex structure so that would require more time to do and much more time to test.

Tomorrow I'll upload to my site a release candidate 0.93.5.RC1.a, because I have no time to test myself, thus I'd need some volunteers to testing these first changes, before thinking on further ones.

I'll post again when the RC1.a is available

Ramon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ramon » 2023-12-28 19:40, Thursday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-12-28 19:30, Thursday
:clap
Fantastic! This is a good solutions for the "useless leaders" problem I point out.
Thank you Luis :bow

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-12-28 22:09, Thursday

A big thanks Luis. I am already a volunteer, just tell me what to do..

hoza
Kadet
Kadet

Post by hoza » 2023-12-29 07:24, Friday

Dimitris GR wrote:
2023-12-28 22:09, Thursday
A big thanks Luis. I am already a volunteer, just tell me what to do..
same for me :grumpy

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-12-29 11:08, Friday

Finally, OpenGen Version 0.93.5.RC1 ( 29-Dec-2023 ) is available !!!

Can download from my web site: LGUZMAN website or from Open General website

Please test it for some weeks and feed back experience.

I'd specially need to test how much slower is the AI using the increased number of units, as it

Allowing more leaders than 15 is possible but requires more work, because the leader table is stored in files and thus increasing the number, would require changes in file structure and also in Suite.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-12-29 12:28, Friday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-12-28 19:30, Thursday
added new $rem_leader which allows:
Hell Luis :howdy Big thanks for your work!

Do i need to add the $rem_leader to my efile cfg or how does it work?
There is no sample text in the download so maybe it is not in a cfg?
Image Slava Ukraini!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-12-29 12:47, Friday

randowe wrote:
2023-12-29 12:28, Friday
Do i need to add the $rem_leader to my efile cfg or how does it work?
There is no sample text in the download so maybe it is not in a cfg?
Yes all $Vars must be placed in any of efile/campaign/scenario .cfg to work
Currently the only value for $rem_leader is 1 (actually not zero) to enable removing leaders or 0 (default) to disable removing leaders.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-12-29 13:21, Friday

I guess only none can test if the AI is slow when using 1600 units because he is the only one who created large scenarios with 800 units.

After my first test i found the following:

- I also get asked when the enemy gets an leader.
- My artillery got mountain training leader which is only possible for infantry (like shown below)
- My infantry got all-weather leader
- Leader asked in box is not the same as the leader a unit really gets

[If you read some edited lines in this post, i made a mistake and deleted them :bonk What is written now, is what i found.]

Image Slava Ukraini!

connor71
Private
Private

Post by connor71 » 2023-12-29 13:46, Friday

I guess changing the name under F2 doesn't work. When I select the branch and press F2 I get the message:
https://imgur.com/a/ItDJsSv

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2023-12-29 14:58, Friday

I also found:

- When i start a new scenario/load a savegame (automatic save from victory) i am asked about all leaders for the enemy units. They are set to random in suite.

Image Slava Ukraini!

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-12-29 15:08, Friday

The same happens to me with connor71.
Also when press control X the message to remove leader sais wrong leader

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-12-29 15:10, Friday

randowe wrote:
2023-12-29 14:58, Friday
I also found:

- When i start a new scenario/load a savegame (automatic save from victory) i am asked about all leaders for the enemy units. They are set to random in suite.

Yeap, the same here

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-12-29 18:14, Friday

Can download from same links version 0.93.5.RC1.b ... I think all the issues are fixed now :ihope
I guess only none can test if the AI is slow when using 1600 units because he is the only one who created large scenarios with 800 units.
Well if none doesn't show up in a month or so, I'll reset to 1000 units total.
- I also get asked when the enemy gets an leader.
Should be fixed either is it is AI turn or AI raise a leader when attacked by human player.
- My artillery got mountain training leader which is only possible for infantry (like shown below)
- My infantry got all-weather leader
- Leader asked in box is not the same as the leader a unit really gets
All these issues was due to the time I've been out of the code... I forgot leaders count start sometimes with zero (array of leaders) but the units set 0 for no leader :doh
I guess changing the name under F2 doesn't work. When I select the branch and press F2 I get the message:
Also a silly mistake, already fixed :bonk

Hope this time you can use the new options.

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-12-30 09:33, Saturday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-12-29 18:14, Friday
if none doesn't show up in a month or so
If my name is pronounced three times I show up (eventually)... :lol

Thanks for the unit increase, I'll test it, but I'm in the process of moving home right now, so it probably will take up to a week or so. Sorry.

(That been said I'm pretty sure I won't see any slowdowns: Unlike a couple years ago when I had an old Core Duo from 2007 with 32-bit WinXP, I now have a speedy i7 with Win11 and 32 GB of RAM, so I guess Open General won't be able to bog it down...)

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2023-12-30 09:39, Saturday

none wrote:
2023-12-30 09:33, Saturday
[Thanks for the unit increase, I'll test it, but I'm in the process of moving home right now, so it probably will take up to a week or so. Sorry.

(That been said I'm pretty sure I won't see any slowdowns: Unlike a couple years ago when I had an old Core Duo from 2007 with 32-bit WinXP, I now have a speedy i7 with Win11 and 32 GB of RAM, so I guess Open General won't be able to bog it down...)
Hi none, can take your time to test, once I know you are aware II can wait for you. Btw: maybe 1600 is too much and 1000-1200 are enough?

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-12-30 09:48, Saturday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-12-29 12:47, Friday
Yes all $Vars must be placed in any of efile/campaign/scenario .cfg to work
Thanks. Any example of what I need to add to the .cfg file for all this to work?

LuisGuzman wrote:
2023-12-30 09:39, Saturday
Btw: maybe 1600 is too much and 1000-1200 are enough?
Right now it is much indeed, given people are used to work inside the 800 unit limit, but I'd suggest to keep it nevertheless, think of it as future-proofing.
Computers get faster, things get bigger, and people will warm up to the idea of creating bigger scenarios, especially when using the XXL maps.

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-12-30 09:55, Saturday

BTW, while I've got your attention, could you please have a look at that bug I wrote about last summer?
That is kind of a show-stopper for me, and made me stop working on my Blitzkrieg campaign... :(