ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Tips and tricks for the designers, playtests.

Moderator: Wonderdoctor

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Re: ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-02 13:40, Monday

:phew
Some KMT icons are corrected. I have also made the icons of communist forces (summer and winter uniform) and added "Gansidui" (Suicide squad) KMT icons (LEG08 - summer, LEG09 - winter). These men armed with grenades, "dadao" sword and rifle. See respective folders in the same link https://cloud.mail.ru/public/qjyS/4immyQP5r The description of the icons can be found in the LeonIcons_02_03_2020.csv file.

Some remarks about communist uniform and icons.
As you possibly know, until August 1927 there were only separated groups of communist guerrillas in China, including partisan detachment of Mao Tse-tung. The Communist Red Army began life in August 1927 after the mutiny of the KMT 24th Division under its commander Chu Te (future marshal). It was the first "regular" formation of the Communist party! Communists and nationalists fought each other for next ten years until 1937 when the Japanese commenced the major offence in China. Due to the Japanese threat the Nationalists and Communists formed so-called “United Front”. This strange alliance remained until the Nationalists attacked the Communist “New 4th Army” in 1941. After this time Nationalists and Communists fought the Japanese independently of each other and continued to fight each other until the final victory of the Communists in 1949.

For summer communist icons I have chosen the icons of chinese PLA for early 1950s. This allows to distinguish communist and KMT icons by color in the game. However the winter icons are of same base blue color and this is real "headache" for icons maker, IMHO! After some thought, I decided to make the icons of communist regular forces for three main periods (see below).

1927-1937
The early Communist fighters would either have worn civilian dress or uniforms captured from the Warlord armies or the Nationalists. Shortage of good equipment in general was to be a problem for the Communists for the whole of the period of conflict. ... they were able to manufacture the simple cotton uniforms in small workshops. Early attempts to produce a unique uniform gave soldiers patchwork-type uniforms with large red stars sewn on home-made caps. Different combinations of cotton shirts, jackets, puttees and field caps would have been worn, with home-made shoes or sandals and home-made canvas bandoliers. Communist fighters could not be choosy about what they wore; they took anything available from their own sources or the enemy's. Even the highest ranking officers wore the same uniform as a private, and if any insignia at all was worn it was usually the red star on the cap and red collar patches of the plainest design. No rank system existed in the Communist forces of the 1920s and 1930s, since their political beliefs meant that all soldiers were equal. They did have positional titles but these were not indicated by any rank markings
(see Osprey, Men-at-Arms 306. Chinese Civil War Armies 1911-49).

The features of the communist summer icons. Red collar patches are absent, the men wear Mao Tse-tung's well-known cap ("maotszedunovka") with red stars.
The features and differences for blue (winter) icons.
Nationalists. Color of bandoleer and other equipment is brown, red collar patches for infantry.
Communists. Color of bandoleer and other equipment is light grey, red collar patches are absent, the men wear "maotszedunovka" cap with red stars.

1937-1945
Two communist armies (the 8th Route Army and New 4th Army) were under the command of the Nationalists during the "United Front". These armies wore Nationalist uniforms with standard KMT badge (white sunburst on a circular blue) and were officially units of the Nationalist Army (although these units remained under communist control in reality). But even after the ending of the alliance with Nationalists in 1941, soldiers of these units wore their enemy's uniforms (see Osprey, Men-at-Arms 306. Chinese Civil War Armies 1911-49).

The features of the communist summer icons. Red collar patches are absent except for officers. The caps with KMT badge, some men wear "maotszedunovka" cap without red star.
The features and differences for blue (winter) icons.
Nationalists. Color of bandoleer and other equipment is brown, red collar patches for infantry.
Communists. Color of bandoleer and other equipment is light grey, red collar patches are absent except for officers. The caps with KMT badge, some men wear "maotszedunovka" cap without red star.

1946-1949 (civil war)
The Communist forces continued to wear the same uniform but without rank insignia and with red star that replaced KMT badge (see Osprey, Men-at-Arms 306. Chinese Civil War Armies 1911-49). By the way, the title chinese "People's Liberation Army" (PLA) appeared only in 1946, until that time the title was "Workers and Peasants Red Army".

The features of the communist summer icons. Red collar patches are absent. Some men wear "maotszedunovka" cap, all caps with red stars.
The differences for blue (winter) icons.
Communists. Color of bandoleer and other equipment is light grey, red collar patches are absent. Some men wear "maotszedunovka" cap, all caps with red stars.

I made the only LEG62 icon for Conscripts (Xinbing) for all periods, they wear "maotszedunovka" cap with red star.
Besides the icons of regular troops I made two icons of guerrillas who were a significant part of the communist forces! Guerrillas commander armed with a pistol wears "maotszedunovka" cap with red star.
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Re: ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-05 08:13, Thursday

first of all: sorry for a long delay :-o , i had some urgent family business to solve, from now, i'm back in te business, and started to add the icons you sent me since dec 2019. the newly released march 5, 2020 openicons.dat contains the latest ra* icons and also fixed the dimensions of a few older ones (which were bigger than 240x150)

i know you/we all hate the frequent upgrades, but i think i will release new versions of the openicons in 2-3 day periods in march, so if you don't want to dl an openicons with only 30-50 added/updated icons, you can wait till i can add all of Leon's new icons. i'll announce it when all of them will be added

randowe wrote:
2019-12-29 13:53, Sunday
i don't think new-style icons should be replaced. New icons should be added, but not for replacement of existing icons.

(...)

The more icons the better! No new style icon should get dismissed or get replaced in my opinion :2cents
1. those icons will be (and should be) replaced, whose style is marked as "obsolete". i didn't want to restart the whoole debate about it,if yomebody is interested in it, s/he can read it on jp's forums (till that site exists). unfortunatelly, Juankar, who himself replaced more tham 3000 old style icons and created the inf templates, lost his interest in icons, so maybe the existing 1400 obsolete icons won't be replaced ever, but it's still the official policy: replacing all "obsolete" to "default" style, if possible. other styles won't be touch

2. the max number of the icons are limited, and it's 25.000 now we ave 17865 real, and 2713 fake (replaced) icons, so basically we have 5000 free slots. of course, the max number of the icons could be expanded, but the openicons folder in the repo is the slowest to maintain due to the number of the files in it. so i will resist to expand the max limit till my last breath :lol

basically it means we should use these 5000 free slots wisely: no need for "just for fun" icons or bad quality icons, icons for special projects like a medieval or fantasy efile should be separated (see dune or son efiles) + unused icons can be deleted, if we are close to the max limit

Cat Leon wrote:
2019-12-30 10:17, Monday
Two remarks about Russian names in the icons description. (...)

1. "Kazaki Kavaleriya" (...)
2. "Udarnaya Armiya" (...)
thanks! fixed both in the database, will be commited to the next openicons within 2-3 days

btw. native speakers are always asked to help fixing glitches. Juankar and i collected names from differing sources, with differing reliability. please never hesitate to report glitches!

Cat Leon wrote: I'd like to make the new-style icons of Dutch infantry
unfortunately Juankar stopped releasing more inf templates, would you contact him? maybe he has an idea which existing template can be used :dunno

Cat Leon wrote: What is the best way to depict Manchukuo and Kuomintang badges on cap and helmet?
as i see Juankar's icons, there is only 1x1 pixel national signs on caps and helmets
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-03-05 12:49, Thursday

lvjtn wrote:
2020-03-05 08:13, Thursday
randowe wrote:
2019-12-29 13:53, Sunday
i don't think new-style icons should be replaced. New icons should be added, but not for replacement of existing icons.

(...)

The more icons the better! No new style icon should get dismissed or get replaced in my opinion :2cents
1. those icons will be (and should be) replaced, whose style is marked as "obsolete".
There is a misunderstanding. I was not talking about Icons which are marked as obsolete. Of course obsolete Icons should be replaced if possible.
In my efile i try to avoid any obsolete icon and use only very few.

I was talking about default style infantry icons. Because many nations are missing and people use icons of one nation for an other nation. Now, if default style icons would be changed, the used (this for that nation) icons may not match anymore. Sorry, i can't express myself better :bonk :bonk

Anyway, many thanks for the updates :notworthy I will add the new units to my efile tonight :cool
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-08 09:04, Sunday

:howdy
Csaba, it's good you didn't include my icons I sent you because some of them were fixed after that! ;) I'll send you the corrected icons (including some your and JuanKar icons with small glitches) as separate batch to avoid the confusion. Please don't use the icons that I uploaded here for acquaintance! I'll send you my other new icons with descriptions and comments next week.

But there is another way! I can save your time and lighten your work! I can add all my new icons in the latest OpenIcons.dat myself and correct OpenIcons.csv and OpenIcons.keep accordingly. After that you get the link to new OpenIcons.zip. You just have to check it and clarify some possible issues! What do you think? :imwaiting

As for Manchukuo icons, they really look like the japanese ones. It's no wonder as Manchukuo uniform didn't almost differ from the Japanese. There are some differences nevertheless.
1. Red shoulder straps and collar patches in Manchukuo infantry icons. Japanese icons have not them!
2. Multicolor badge on caps and helmets in Manchukuo icons.
3. Officers wear peaked-caps instead of japanese-style caps.
3. All men wear peaked-caps in early war Manchukuo icons.
4. There are several specific icons that are missing from the Japanese ones!

As for icons replacing. As I have already talking, the only new-style icon I suggest to replace is JKL12 (Belgian "Chasseurs Ardennais"). I changed the color of berets from blue to green as it was in reality and changed their shape a little...

I also would like to remind that I don't draw new icons, I only modify existing icons by copying and pasting and I can certainly change some pixels and colors if needed. Actually, this is quite enough to make icon sets for most countries. I will be happy if someone makes the icons better than my ones! Although "better or worse" is a matter of taste in many cases ... :|

BTW: Greek icons set is added for acquaintance (see same link https://cloud.mail.ru/public/qjyS/4immyQP5r , Greece folder).
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-09 14:34, Monday

randowe wrote:
2020-03-05 12:49, Thursday
Now, if default style icons would be changed, the used (this for that nation) icons may not match anymore.
yep, it's always a chance we misunderstand each others, none of us is a native english speaker here. ;)

anyway, when a new style icons is "upgraded" it usually means a few fixed pixels, not significant changes, don't worry. the only exception is when the author rework them, e.g. Juankar improved some of his old Yakobinetz-style cw icons to a more modern look
Cat Leon wrote:
2020-03-08 09:04, Sunday
Please don't use the icons that I uploaded here for acquaintance! I'll send you my other new icons with descriptions and comments next week.
of course, i always use the icons what i get as mail attachments, uploaded files here can be teasers for others, but the official way is always mailing them to me with a csv description file

anyway, i've added your norwegian icons, and a few other fixes (made by you and me), and made some czechslovakian /slovakian icons from Juankar's templates

i also added the last available ww2 templates (inf, cav, moto, bicycle)

but what's now? i just dl-ed the five zip files made by you, should i ignore them? :dunno
Cat Leon wrote: I can add all my new icons in the latest OpenIcons.dat myself and correct OpenIcons.csv and OpenIcons.keep accordingly.
it wouldn't work. i fix icons (mostly dimensions) and descriptions (there i so many mistakes, mostly made by me) time to time, check possible replaces (e.g. your norwegian icons were good to replace a few td** icons), and merging your and my version would be terrible. now i plan to work with icons in march, so just everybody who has new icons, it's time to send them to me asap. who knows when will i work on this project next time? :)

:bullhorn +1 request since we (Juankar and me) realized that 25.000 limit includes the fake icons, we simply update the obsolete icons, so a bn*** inf with be updated not replaced by a jc*** or else. it spares a few more slots. so if you haven't one existing obsolete icon to update, but you want to make a new one, please be sure noobody else made a similar obsolete icon. if somebody did, just use his old icon id for your new icon, please.

iirc we discussed this on jp, but i'm not sure. icon thread was pretty dead there for a while

edit2: i know that Juankar hasn't finished his templates, so missing nations like bulgaria, croatia, etc. can't bemade from templates. i noticed Leon made a not-so-accurate mix of ww1 and ww2 style inf for his norwegian icons, which is not perfect, but much better than the obsolete icons, not to mention the missing nations :)

HOWEVER! when a template is available (like hungary, romania, and major ww2 nations, of course), please use these templates. e.g. Leon made a hungarian mg inf with schwarzlose, but neither the inf, nor the mg is correct, they are copied from another existing icons. i easily made the correct icon from the templates
efiles:

campaigns:

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-10 06:30, Tuesday

lvjtn wrote:
2020-03-09 14:34, Monday
but what's now? i just dl-ed the five zip files made by you, should i ignore them?
No, but I have corrected some icons I sent you (including some Norwegian icons)! I'll just send you the corrected icons (including some your and JuanKar icons with small glitches) as separate batch. These corrected icons will replace previous icons with same IDs.
lvjtn wrote:
just use his old icon id for your new icon, please
I always change my old icons to the new ones with same IDs but I can't replace for example the old JuanKar's icons with my ones. What if JuanKar (or someone else) decides to make new icons instead his old icons and sees the icons of other man instead of his old icons! I don’t think he will like it... :notsure
lvjtn wrote:
and made some czechslovakian /slovakian icons from Juankar's templates
Good work but I see one problem! The tops of helmets look too sharp in some views... :huh I would use the same shape of helmets as in other views with some changing of color shades (like it made with British helmets)...

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-10 07:48, Tuesday

the new openicons and icon templates are available in the repo, as announced yesterday
Cat Leon wrote:
2020-03-10 06:30, Tuesday
I can't replace for example the old JuanKar's icons with my ones. What if JuanKar (or someone else) decides to make new icons instead his old icons and sees the icons of other man instead of his old icons! I don’t think he will like it... :notsure
recently basically you, Clemens, Gustlik and i make icons. we just hope Juankar, Oliver, Björn will return some day, but till then, their obsolete icons can be upgraded. i asked a permission from Juankar to do it, and he agreed (again: updating the obsolete style icons!). and when he returns and can make a better xxxyy.png than us, it's easier to update an existing icon than removing it from the replace table and adding as a real icon again. but the more important reason using the update instead of the replace is the limit: fake and real icons count against the "icon cap" (25,000 items)

i check Juankar's mg, entrench inf, mortar, moto/bicycle, etc. templates (sometimes his layers aren't labeled) to see which obsolete icons can be updated from his templates, and if you need more czechslovakian or slovakian icons, they can be done easily
efiles:

campaigns:

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-10 09:36, Tuesday

Anyway I don't like this idea. :disgust Then I will have to rename a lot of my new icons and this will surely lead to the confusion and errors! Besides, we will not be able to find out who actually is the author of icons. :notsure So I would like to keep "LExxx" ID for my icons...
Last edited by Cat Leon on 2020-03-13 12:30, Friday, edited 1 time in total.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-03-12 23:11, Thursday

Sorry, but how can i find out which icos have been added to the openicos.dat? Some norwegian infantry? I have no idea :bonk
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-13 06:57, Friday

:dunno but I will try to find out it using the "Icons" tool!

As for Norwegian icons - not only infantry. BTW, now I reworked most of them and added some new icons to completely replace old icons (except a pack animals). Actually, Norwegian icons are quite difficult for icons maker. The problem is a colors variety of different Norwegian uniform! The M1914 field uniform was of specific grey-green color (so-called mountain-grey) while the M1934 uniform was of almost pure grey color. In addition old-fashioned dark-blue greatcoats were also in use although I read those greatcoats were not usually worn in combat! Depicting of kepi's multicolors cockade is also the problem as only 1-2 pixels can be used for that... :huh

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-13 08:29, Friday

* Scanning New OpenIcons (dat+keep) and Previous OpenIcons (dat+keep) ...
LEC41 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LEC44 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED38 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED39 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED40 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED41 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED42 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED43 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED44 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED45 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED46 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED47 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LED48 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LV574 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
LV575 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA024 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA025 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA026 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA027 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA028 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA029 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA030 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA032 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA033 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA034 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA035 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA036 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA037 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)
RA038 (real in OpenIcons) ... not in OpenIcons (dat+keep)

So 29 icons with new IDs were added. However, the tool cannot distinguish new and old icons with same IDs! But I see that my Hungarian icons (with new and old IDs) are also included. In addition, Csaba changes my "LE" IDs to other IDs although I'm against it :irate , in particular:
LEC35 8 mm Schwarzlose M.07/31 (MG Infantry x2) is now JKI69
LEC39 Felderito Kerekparos (Bicycle x1) is now CL187
LEC41 Kerekparos (Bicycle x3) is now JKI66
LEC43 Motorkerekparos (Motorcycle x3) is now JKI74
But he doesn't listen to me, he never listens to me! :( Just don't tell me about these 25,000... :P

At the same time some Hungarian icons were not included for unknown reson, for example:
LEC36 Felderito Lovassag (Scout Cavalry x1) (mod. JCM28 / JKI63) brown Cavalry (scout)
LEC37 Huszar (Cavalry x2) (mod. JCM29 / JKI63) brown Cavalry (hussar)
LEC38 Huszar (Cavalry x3) (mod. JCM30 / JKI63) brown Cavalry (hussar)

BTW. Chaba, my friend, tell me please why do I see my icon of Norwegian cyclists (scouts) which I have not sent you yet :) instead of old TDU88 icon? Or do you want me to guess? :imwaiting

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-03-13 13:06, Friday

I already added my new icons and the respective units to my efile because it is easy to find my own icons :lol , but with the rest of the new and upcomming icons i will wait until things have settled. I see there is still some development and discussion going on. I'd like to add all new icons at once because it is easier for me :bonk But yeah, it is hard to find new icons in the files.
Image Slava Ukraini!

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-13 13:50, Friday

randowe wrote:
2020-03-12 23:11, Thursday
Sorry, but how can i find out which icos have been added to the openicos.dat? Some norwegian infantry? I have no idea :bonk
in the future, i'll post the full svn changelog, here you are the current one (revision 172):

A: added
D: deleted
M: modified

Code: Select all

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r172 | lvjtn | 2020-03-09 17:37:14 +0100 (h, 09 márc 2020) | 1 line
adding Leon's new icons (1st batch) + updating a few obsolete icons + adding more icon templates

Changed paths:
   A /OpenIcons/lec41.png
   A /OpenIcons/lec44.png
   A /OpenIcons/led38.png
   A /OpenIcons/led39.png
   A /OpenIcons/led40.png
   A /OpenIcons/led41.png
   A /OpenIcons/led42.png
   A /OpenIcons/led43.png
   A /OpenIcons/led44.png
   A /OpenIcons/led45.png
   A /OpenIcons/led46.png
   A /OpenIcons/led47.png
   A /OpenIcons/led48.png
   A /OpenIcons/lv574.png
   A /OpenIcons/lv575.png
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-at_inf_x2-multiple_nations.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-cavalry_x1-multiple_nations.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-inf_germany.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-inf_soviet_union.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-inf_uk+commonwealth.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-mortar-multiple_nations.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-moto_bicycle-multiple_nations.psd
   D /OpenIcons/cl189.png
   D /OpenIcons/td27.png
   D /OpenIcons/td28.png
   D /OpenIcons/td30.png
   D /OpenIcons/td35.png
   D /OpenIcons/td39.png
   D /OpenIcons/td43.png
   D /OpenIcons/v090.png
   D /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-inf-ski-generic.psd
   M /GEROPENDAT/EFILE_OPENAK/OPENDAT/flag_med.png
   M /GEROPENDAT/EFILE_OPENAK/OPENDAT/flag_small.png
   M /GEROPENDAT/EFILE_OPENAK/OPENDAT/roundel.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn250.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn251.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn252.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn254.png
   M /OpenIcons/bne04.png
   M /OpenIcons/cl187.png
   M /OpenIcons/drg68.png
   M /OpenIcons/jc288.png
   M /OpenIcons/jc520.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki37.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki66.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki69.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki74.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki79.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki83.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki84.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki88.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki89.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki90.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki91.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki93.png
   M /OpenIcons/le047.png
   M /OpenIcons/le048.png
   M /OpenIcons/le049.png
   M /OpenIcons/le051.png
   M /OpenIcons/le052.png
   M /OpenIcons/le053.png
   M /OpenIcons/le144.png
   M /OpenIcons/lv469.png
   M /OpenIcons/pa886.png
   M /OpenIcons/pt214.png
   M /OpenIcons/pt215.png
   M /OpenIcons/rc92.png
   M /OpenIcons/tde51.png
   M /OpenIcons/tdu88.png
   M /OpenIcons/tdz72.png
   M /OpenIcons/zy77.png
   M /REDIST/OpenIcons.csv
   M /REDIST/OpenIcons.dat
   M /REDIST/OpenIcons.keep
   M /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-inf_czech+slovak.psd
efiles:

campaigns:

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-13 13:54, Friday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-03-10 09:36, Tuesday
Anyway I don't like this idea. :disgust Then I will have to rename a lot of my new icons and this will surely lead to the confusion and errors! Besides, we will not be able to find out who actually is the author of icons. :notsure So I would like to keep "LExxx" ID for my icons...
ok, you don't like it :) but this is the rule, and it's not a new rule at all, and i won't start this discussion again, sorry

the author is always showed in the db, check this example, though the latest changes aren't commited yet to the server, i'll do it after releasing more icons
Cat Leon wrote:
2020-03-13 08:29, Friday
BTW. Chaba, my friend, tell me please why do I see my icon of Norwegian cyclists (scouts) which I have not sent you yet :) instead of old TDU88 icon? Or do you want me to guess? :imwaiting
i usually add groups of icons, like a nation or a specific equipment (e.g. t-34/57), and i always check which obsoleete icons can be replace immedialtely, so i guess that's why tdu88 is updated

btw. i have to rework basically all of your german icons from the template, like the few hungarians i already released. i already wrote it, but copy+paste is accepted only for those nations, which have no template, so it's a bit time consuming adding new icons, i'm working on it
efiles:

campaigns:

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-13 18:14, Friday

tomorrow morning aroung gmt 04:00h a.m. a new openicons +few more templates will be available at our site

here you are the full changelog:

r173 | lvjtn | 2020-03-13 19:09:32 +0100 (p, 13 márc 2020) | 1 line
updating a few obsolete (cz, ger, etc.) icons + adding more icon templates

Changed paths:
   A /OpenIcons/lec11.png
   A /OpenIcons/lv576.png
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/all-mules.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/imperialism+ww1-camel.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/imperialism+ww1-inf_russia.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww1-entrenched_inf-multiple_nations.psd
   A /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww1-mg_inf-multiple_nations.psd
   D /OpenIcons/ad03.png
   M /OpenIcons/ad04.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn256.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn259.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn260.png
   M /OpenIcons/bn261.png
   M /OpenIcons/bne05.png
   M /OpenIcons/bnh25.png
   M /OpenIcons/cl135.png
   M /OpenIcons/cl187.png
   M /OpenIcons/jc750.png
   M /OpenIcons/jkh29.png
   M /OpenIcons/jkh32.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki78.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki82.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki85.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki86.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki87.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki88.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki89.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki92.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki94.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki95.png
   M /OpenIcons/jki96.png
   M /OpenIcons/le262.png
   M /OpenIcons/le264.png
   M /OpenIcons/le793.png
   M /OpenIcons/le832.png
   M /OpenIcons/le933.png
   M /OpenIcons/lv377.png
   M /OpenIcons/lv400.png
   M /OpenIcons/lv575.png
   M /OpenIcons/pa258.png
   M /OpenIcons/pt348.png
   M /OpenIcons/pt405.png
   M /OpenIcons/pt406.png
   M /OpenIcons/pt407.png
   M /OpenIcons/tdu88.png
   M /OpenIcons/wda56.png
   M /OpenIcons/zy23.png
   M /OpenIcons/zyb50.png
   M /REDIST/OpenIcons.csv
   M /REDIST/OpenIcons.dat
   M /REDIST/OpenIcons.keep
   M /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-inf_czech+slovak.psd
   M /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-inf_germany.psd
   M /TEMPLATES/OpenIcons/new_style_icons/ww2-moto_bicycle-multiple_nations.psd
+1 hopefully all russian descriptions reported by Leon are fixed now
+2 the icon db on our site will be also updated tomorrow morning
efiles:

campaigns:

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-14 09:49, Saturday

lvjtn wrote:
2020-03-13 13:54, Friday
i already wrote it, but copy+paste is accepted only for those nations, which have no template, so it's a bit time consuming adding new icons, i'm working on it
Well! But what if I want to add paratroopers who are absent in the templates! So if even we have the templates for some country, it doesn't cover all possible cases. Besides, a templates are simply not available for many countries as you said... so coping-pasting is still necessary.
But I will reworked my Bulgarian icons (except paras) as there are nice templates for that! :notworthy
Although I have already found some wrong and missing pixels when making Bulgarian Guards icon ... so I had to fix it by hands! :P
Also. The officer’s hand with a saber is of green color in this icon but must be either of gray or brown color! It also need to be fixed by hands... ;)

BTW. It would be more correct not to create the templates for each country but to make universal templates for infantry, cavalry, etc.
Suppose we have an universal template for infantry. Then we could choose the type of infantry (regular, militia, engineer, bridging, HQ etc), weapon (from list of weapon), uniform elements (from list including shoulder straps, collar patches etc) and their color, main color of uniform (top and bottom), head-dress (from the list) and color, greatcoat with color or winter white uniform, knapsack with color etc. Each list could be expanded. I think it's possible! Why not? With such an universal templates it would be possible to quickly make the icons set for any country without coping-pasting!

As for icons IDs. What if one new icon changes not one but two or even three old needless icons?
For example, LED55 changes TD055 and WD055. What ID should I use, TD055 or WD055? Or I have to send you two identical icons (TD055 and WD055) and OpenIcons.dat will contain two real identical icons! This is something odd to me...
The way with fake icons works well in this case:
fake; real
TD055;LED55
WD55;LED55
and we have only one real LED55 icon in OpenIcons.dat. So I still think the best way is to increase the icons limit in case on need if even it will make some things slower!

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-14 17:26, Saturday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-03-14 09:49, Saturday
Well! But what if I want to add paratroopers who are absent in the templates! So if even we have the templates for some country, it doesn't cover all possible cases. Besides, a templates are simply not available for many countries as you said... so coping-pasting is still necessary.
again: i'm speaking about major nations like germany, ussr, usa, uk, italy. they all have full templates. if you compare the latest german le* icons (grenadiere) i made from templates, you can see how much mistakes came from the copy-paste. and yes: sometimes the templates are wrong, like the belgian chasseur ardennes should have a green helmet not a blue one, i time to time correct Juankar's templates (actually, the ww2 belgian wasn't finished at all)
Cat Leon wrote:
Bulgarian icons
sorry, i don't understand you. there was no ww2 bulgarian template at all :dunno whatever you made, you made it by hands
Cat Leon wrote:
BTW. It would be more correct not to create the templates for each country but to make universal templates for infantry, cavalry, etc.
i absolutely agree with you! just remember: Juankar made the templates, not me, i just fix one pixel here or there. i simply have not enough talent to make an universal template
Cat Leon wrote:
As for icons IDs. What if one new icon changes not one but two or even three old needless icons?
For example, LED55 changes TD055 and WD055. What ID should I use, TD055 or WD055? Or I have to send you two identical icons (TD055 and WD055) and OpenIcons.dat will contain two real identical icons!
just pick one, update it, the other one will be a fake icon, no need to duplicate anything
efiles:

campaigns:

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-03-15 06:23, Sunday

lvjtn wrote:
2020-03-14 17:26, Saturday
if you compare the latest german le* icons (grenadiere) i made from templates, you can see how much mistakes came from the copy-paste.
Well! What are the differences between my LE262 and your LE262 icon? Same icons but your icon is made in greenish camouflage. But You could just change the year in the description (from 1945 to 1941-42 for example) instead of remaking the icon... :notsure

Moreover I didn't think that some mismatch to the template is a mistake! All the icons looked quite good to me, they added a variety and some of them were made specially to replace old icons. When making an icons, we work with enlarged images but in the game with small icons no one will check whether an icon matches the template or not! :P
lvjtn wrote:
2020-03-14 17:26, Saturday
sorry, i don't understand you. there was no ww2 bulgarian template at all :dunno whatever you made, you made it by hands
What about ww2-inf_bulgaria.psd? Check OpenTemplates.zip ;)

BTW. I used WW1 infantry icons as base icons for making some WW2 icons for nations which templates are missing for! Is it a mistake?

Also. I sent you the questions about my Hungarian cavalry icons Saturday. Check your email please!
I also emailed you and I repeat here. I number my icons in some order but your renames destroy this order! So don’t add my icons yet!
Except for icons from:
LeonIcons_12.20.2019.ZIP
LeonIcons_12.21.2019.ZIP
because you already work with these icons and partially corrected and added some of them to OpenIcons.dat! I will rename other icons myself and then send them to you again (some icons, in particular Bulgarian icons, will be reworked with templates).

:( Csaba seems to have again vanished... :imwaiting

PS. Don't add the icons for WW2 Bulgaria, WW2 Belgium, WW2 Croatia, WW2 Royal Yugoslavia and WW2 Serbia (Axis). Croatian icons will be reworked using German WW2 template with some corrections by hands (Czech helmets etc), many icons for Royal Yugoslavia and Serbia will also be reworked same way. Some icons will be added and some removed. Icons Ids may also be changed! :phew

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2020-04-15 13:01, Wednesday

I'm sending some icons to Csaba to put in the database ...

SYM33; PZL.54a Ryś ; olive ; polish fictive multirole aircraft (only projects) ; WW2 Republic of Poland ; WDA72 ; Sympatyk ; Sympatyk
http://www.opengeneral.pl/sympatyk/SYM33.png

SYM34; NH90 - NFH; light green / gray ; navalised NATO Frigate Helicopter; NATO 2000 All Nations ; ; Sympatyk ; Sympatyk
http://www.opengeneral.pl/sympatyk/SYM34.png

SYM35; NH90 - TTH; green ; Tactical Transport Helicopter ; NATO 2000 All Nations ; ; Sympatyk ; Sympatyk
http://www.opengeneral.pl/sympatyk/SYM35.png

SYM36; Kamov Ka-31 ( 'Helix') ; green ; military helicopter the naval airborne early warning and control role ; Soviet Navy 2000 ; ; Sympatyk ; Sympatyk
http://www.opengeneral.pl/sympatyk/SYM36.png

SYM37; Sikorsky H-5 ( R-5); olive ; multi-purpose helicopter ; United States of America 2000 ; ; Sympatyk ; Sympatyk
http://www.opengeneral.pl/sympatyk/SYM37.png

SYM38; Sikorsky H-34 ( S-58); olive ; medium transports, rescue helicopter ; United States of America 2000 ; ; Sympatyk ; Sympatyk
http://www.opengeneral.pl/sympatyk/SYM38.png

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-05-24 15:33, Sunday

Closed for quarantine? :huh

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-07-07 19:52, Tuesday

Hello :howdy

I just found out today that one of my icons (RA030) is displayed wrong in the game :huh Don't know why. In SUITE it is shown correct.
Checked some others, but it is so far the only of my icons which is shown that way. In the game it appears like this:

I also created another one. There are several ambulance trucks, but not a green ambulance truck. So i assembled one that can be used with "green" armies like USSR and France:

ra031 ; Opel Blitz A LKW Einheitskoffer Ambulanz (mod. JKY40) ; green ; TPT (4 wheels) ; WW2 All Nations ; Opel Blitz ; Pat ; randowe
Since RA031 got renamed, i'll reuse that number again. Like always, it is not urgend.
Will send a mail :howdy

Then i have a question about the CL075 icon. One of the views shows parachutes, while all other views show the units itself. Thats kind of strange.
I mean, when you play and all of a sudden the unit turns into parachutes at a certain angle, it is kind of confusing, no?
Should we change that? Or have a new icon with a different number and the parachutes removed and replaced with fitting view (one of the other ones).

Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-08-27 11:45, Thursday

:howdy This issue not only with CL075. Same for CL074 and CL076. That's a really strange decision! But I use FX004 instead CL074 for 2.8 sPzB41, TDK51 instead CL075 for 7.5 LG40 and FX003 instead CL076 for 10.5 LG42. So I'm not really worried about that!

As for your RA030 icon. The issue really exists! I don't know why does it happen but I know how to "cure" it.
I have extracted RA030.PNG icon (256 colors) from OpenIcons.dat and increased color depth to 16 million colors in PaintShopPro. Then I again decreased color depth to 256 colors with "Optimized Octree" option and "Include windows colors" uncheked. After that the icon's palette has very much changed. Next I replaced your RA030 icon with the new one and the problem was solved. New icon is depicted correctly in the game! :wink

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-08-27 15:48, Thursday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-08-27 11:45, Thursday
:howdy This issue not only with CL075. Same for CL074 and CL076. That's a really strange decision! But I use FX004 instead CL074 for 2.8 sPzB41, TDK51 instead CL075 for 7.5 LG40 and FX003 instead CL076 for 10.5 LG42. So I'm not really worried about that!
Hello Leon :howdy

You are right! Recently (two weeks ago) i found out that there are much more of these icons than i used. Most of them without the parachutes. So i could replace all the icons which had one of these parachutes displayed at a certain angle. I don't know why i didn't found the other icons earlier :bonk
I even use one of the "105 mm LG 42 + Fallschirmjager Crew (x2)" as a "37mm Pak 36 + Paratrooper" because there is no such icon yet.

The 37mm Pak 36 was airborne, a picture of it, leashed to 5 parachutes, can be found at wikipedia.
Anyway, i want to try to create two new icons by combining 2 new style Paratroopers (with parachute?) + a 37mm Pak 36 and a 28mm sPzB 41. So the airborne version can be distinguished from the "normal" version.
There are already few gun + new style crew icons (LV266, LV269, LV330), and i hope the two i want to create will fit as well. I'll see how that will work out.
Cat Leon wrote:
2020-08-27 11:45, Thursday
As for your RA030 icon. The issue really exists! I don't know why does it happen but I know how to "cure" it.
I have extracted RA030.PNG icon (256 colors) from OpenIcons.dat and increased color depth to 16 million colors in PaintShopPro. Then I again decreased color depth to 256 colors with "Optimized Octree" option and "Include windows colors" uncheked. After that the icon's palette has very much changed. Next I replaced your RA030 icon with the new one and the problem was solved. New icon is depicted correctly in the game! :wink
Oh thanks :cool I will have a look into that. I don't understand why this happens because all icons are created the same way :dunno

So i will submit 4 icons in September :ihope

The green Ambulance truck (was already submitted)
37mm Pak 36 + Fallschirmjäger
28mm spzB 41 + Fallschirmjäger
reworked RA030

I guess, after these 4 icons, i am done with icons :lol :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-09-13 10:06, Sunday

Hello everyone :howdy

So here is my batch of new icons. Of course i ended up with more icons than i had planned to do. I will send a mail soon.

I will submit a reworked version of RA030, since the previous one was broken somehow. I used the routine as proposed by Leon and now it works. I also checked all new icons ingame this time :yes

Here are the new icons. Well, there is nothing really new, as they are all recolors or modifications of existing icons.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

So here is a random HQ infantry i want to use for irregular units as well as Nestor Makhnos anarchist Black Army from the Russian Civil War. The icon is compiled by using pieces from several other icons as wells as a new flag and two new hats. One of them Makhno's white hat.
I know the skull on the flag is not true to perspective, but was unable to create a rotated skull at that scale. I then was thinking i should use a plain black flag but at the end i went for the skull.

Here is a list with the descriptions for those who are interested:

ra030 M13 / 40 (mod. PAT7) + Infantry (mod. JK266)
ra031 Opel Blitz A LKW Einheitskoffer Ambulanz (mod. JKY40)
ra039 37 mm PaK 36 + Fallschirmjager (mod. PA186 / JCO31)
ra040 37 mm PaK 36 + Fallschirmjager (mod. BN252 / JCP12)
ra041 28 mm sPzB 41 + Fallschirmjager (mod. PA178 / JCO31)
ra042 75 mm Recoilless Rifle + Fallschirmjager (mod. WDB10 / JCO31)
ra043 Berliet CBA (mod. RA045)
ra044 Berliet CBA (mod. RA045)
ra045 Berliet CBA (open) (mod. LE595)
ra046 StuG III Ausf. G (SdKfz 142/1) + Infanterie (mod. ZYE35 / JCO51)
ra047 SdKfz 251/1 SPW + Infanterie (mod. BN277 / JCO51)
ra048 SdKfz 251/1 SPW + Panzergrenadiere (mod. BN277 / BNH28)
ra049 SdKfz 251/16 FPW (flamethrower) + Panzerschutzen (mod. JRM73 / JCO52)
ra050 PzKw IV Ausf. H (SdKfz 161/2) + Schurzen (side armor) + Panzergrenadiere (mod. ZYW06 / BNH28)
ra051 PzKw V Panther Ausf. D (SdKfz 171) + Panzergrenadiere (GB063 / BNH28)
ra052 Panzerjager Marder III Ausf. M + 75 mm PaK 40 L/46 (Sf) auf GW 38(t) (SdKfz 138) + Panzergrenadiere (mod. LE667 / BNH28)
ra053 Panzerjager IV Hornisse / Nashorn (SdKfz 164) + Panzerschutzen (mod. CL019 / JCO52)
ra054 Flakpanzer IV (37 mm FlaK 43) Ostwind + Panzerschutzen (mod. LE668 / JCO52)
ra055 P26/40 (mod. BNK06)
ra056 CANT Z.501 Gabbiano (mod. PA660)
ra057 Arado Ar 196 (mod. SBA01)
ra058 PZL P.11 (mod. PA605)
ra059 Focke-Wulf Fw 58 Weihe (mod. WDB49)
ra060 Fiat C.R.42 Falco (mod. LEA12)
ra061 Fiat C.R.42 Falco (mod. PA604)
ra062 Macchi M.C.205 Veltro (mod. LEA06)
ra063 M39 AUV (mod. BN617)
ra064 M39 AUV Command Vehicle (mod. RA063)
ra065 M39 AUV Command Vehicle (mod. MJA23)
ra066 Irregular Forces HQ (HQ Command Infantry x3) + Flag
Image Slava Ukraini!

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-11-25 01:02, Wednesday

Hello everyone~
Here's some new icons I made for open general.
The first part is the Teaching Crops of Chinese nationalist army, it's the German equiped and trained military unit during the Second Sino-Japanese war:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KwknWeVcboLMUiYLA

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-11-25 01:24, Wednesday

Here is the links of other icons of WW2 Chinese? Central Army.
1930s Infantry (Type B Division)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZSReVYy56HP6Tn6W6
1930s Infantry(Type A Division)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RryNaWXapSVgXFdw7
1936 German equiped Infantry
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HrqT5pn2VbCQ78th8
1938 Soviet Equiped Infantry
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UBRNAnmxFHxAszqeA
1943 USA Equiped Infantry
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cxDG9MtrtcybaFcv9

I'm still working on more icons, including restore the WW2 IJA Infantry, and Chinese warlords military during the WW2 and also the communist infantry.
I also have the plan to make more icons for Chinese civil war(1946-2020), but I need templates of Cold War infantries and Vehicles.
If someone one could provide more templates to me, and it would be so kind😂

Golothin
Major General
Major General

Post by Golothin » 2020-11-25 13:28, Wednesday

:howdy Welcome - beautiful :clap , but the icons for Entrenched Infantry and Heavy Mortar crew are missing :boohoo

Developer of the PG2 2.x patches
Owner of the LXF Equipment File
Designer of 15 campaigns
Designer of - after all - 10 maps >I only say MAP number 37 :)<
Designer of over 2000 icons

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-11-25 14:58, Wednesday

Golothin wrote:
2020-11-25 13:28, Wednesday
:howdy Welcome - beautiful :clap , but the icons for Entrenched Infantry and Heavy Mortar crew are missing :boohoo
Thanks so much, I'm still working on them, will post them later.
By the way, possibly I need more templates such as the cold War and modern infantry, if anyone have it, it would be so helpful~

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-26 06:46, Thursday

Nice icons! Just small remark. KMT cavalry wore yellow collar patches while the engineers wore white ones. The pink color for military police is correct!
I also made many chinese icons some time ago
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Utbx/26abRAoxv/
but I didn't send them to Csaba as well as some other icons. He is not active, OpenIcons is not updated so I lost interest in this...

Golothin
Major General
Major General

Post by Golothin » 2020-11-26 14:13, Thursday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-11-26 06:46, Thursday
Nice icons! Just small remark. KMT cavalry wore yellow collar patches while the engineers wore white ones. The pink color for military police is correct!
but I didn't send them to Csaba as well as some other icons. He is not active, OpenIcons is not updated so I lost interest in this...
:crave Leon, would you please be so kind and send your unpublished icons to Csaba or Luis!

Developer of the PG2 2.x patches
Owner of the LXF Equipment File
Designer of 15 campaigns
Designer of - after all - 10 maps >I only say MAP number 37 :)<
Designer of over 2000 icons

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-11-26 14:37, Thursday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-11-26 06:46, Thursday
Thanks so much for the advice!! I shall fix those details😂
By the way, my father's grandfather was served in KMT army as an officer from 1937 to 1946, so that's why I'm making icons for WW2 Chinese military units~ It's not only for fun, but also for a kind of memory.
On the other hand, do you have more infantry templates? Possibly will be so helpful for me to meke more icons~

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-11-26 18:30, Thursday

i'm not inactive, i just ran out of the free time in this year, and maintaining the icon db is the most time consuming activity. yep, we can drop the checking phases, etc. and maybe that's exactly what i will do, but no matter what, my free time is very limited nowadays, so don't expect frequent and large updates, i'm happy if i can add a few dozens of new icons in a month
2020yy wrote:
2020-11-26 14:37, Thursday
On the other hand, do you have more infantry templates? Possibly will be so helpful for me to meke more icons
all finished inf templates have been uploaded to the repo. there is a very big "cold war inf" psd file what Juankar made, with hundreds of layers, i'm not sure what is its status (finished, temporal, whatever else), so please contact him
efiles:

campaigns:

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-11-28 21:52, Saturday

lvjtn wrote:
2020-11-26 18:30, Thursday
i'm not inactive, i just ran out of the free time in this year, and maintaining the icon db is the most time consuming activity. yep, we can drop the checking phases, etc. and maybe that's exactly what i will do, but no matter what, my free time is very limited nowadays, so don't expect frequent and large updates, i'm happy if i can add a few dozens of new icons in a month
2020yy wrote:
2020-11-26 14:37, Thursday
On the other hand, do you have more infantry templates? Possibly will be so helpful for me to meke more icons
all finished inf templates have been uploaded to the repo. there is a very big "cold war inf" psd file what Juankar made, with hundreds of layers, i'm not sure what is its status (finished, temporal, whatever else), so please contact him
Okay, thanks so much~

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-29 06:48, Sunday

:howdy I don't think we should have two batches of Chinese icons in OpenIcons. Icons of "2020yy" will be quite enough, IMHO!

To "2020yy".
1. As for icons designation. I see you use six-character IDs for Soviet Equiped and US Equiped KMT icons (like CAS001 or CAA001). I remind that only five-character ID can be used! Also. The OpenIcons currently contains many old-style chinese icons which should be replaced with the new ones. You have to use the IDs of these old-style icons for your appropriate new chinese icons and I can help you with replacing IDs of appropriate icons after all your icons are done! The other your icons should have your personal IDs.

2. KMT small insignia looks more white than blue from a distance to me or I'm mistaken...

3. Some pixels are missing on CAA005 icon.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-11-29 13:25, Sunday

@ 2020yy, your icos look great :clap Do you have further plans, besides the icons?

Maybe i can replace the sand color Free French infantry icons i use for the Republic of China soon :lol
But as an Efile maker i would like to ask you to draw always a full set of icons with AT infantry x2 with antitank rilfe; combat engineers + flamethrower; mountain infantry; cavalry x1, x2, x3; cyclists x1, x3; motorcyclists x1, x3, short mortar, long mortar, mule + 1 infantry (transport),...
EDIT: forgot to mention entrenched Infantry.

I must say i rather use a full set of icons of a wrong nations than a set of icons where some are missing But maybe that's just me :bonk :lol
Last edited by randowe on 2020-11-29 17:28, Sunday, edited 1 time in total.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-29 17:01, Sunday

Appetite comes with eating! :) You didn't mention Recon Infantry (x2). ;) Although it is not necessary to make all these icons for all factions (cavalry not needed for US Equiped KMT as an example). BTW: I have included all these necessary icons in my Chinese icons set (without splitting into factions though)...

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-11-29 17:15, Sunday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-11-29 17:01, Sunday
Appetite comes with eating! :) You didn't mention Recon Infantry (x2). ;)
Haha yes, and i also forgot Light Infantry (x2) :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-01 04:02, Tuesday

Hi~
Thanks so much for all your advices😂
They're all really valuable.
Well, the number attached to each Icon actually is not the icon ID, all those icons will have a real ID soon, maybe you guys could help me.
And I'm still working on more icons now, my plan is finish all military powers in China area from 1930 to 2020.
Actually this was a really interesting time in Chinese modern history, for example in WW2, I only finished part of the Central Army, but at that time in China they have more warlords military power, each warlord had different military system, for example, the Yunnan Warlord is holding a French/Belgium equipped military power.
However if someone want to collaborate with me with some new campaigns or even start a new Efile, I would be so happy to do it.
P. S. I shall try my best to make icons which respect the true history, so according to funny history in China, each side of the military power will have special units which other side of the power didn't have.
For example the AT Gun, actually only the central army had it during the most time of WW2, and for warlords, it's not so possible to get them.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-01 07:35, Tuesday

2020yy wrote:
2020-12-01 04:02, Tuesday
Well, the number attached to each Icon actually is not the icon ID, all those icons will have a real ID soon, maybe you guys could help me.
See my post above!
2020yy wrote:
P. S. I shall try my best to make icons which respect the true history, so according to funny history in China, each side of the military power will have special units which other side of the power didn't have. For example the AT Gun, actually only the central army had it during the most time of WW2, and for warlords, it's not so possible to get them.
All these things can be easily realized in OpenGen Efile using fronts and factions!

The fulfilling your ambitious plans takes a long time. ;) Maybe you complete all WWII Chinese icons including warlords troops first! :huh
BTW. You could make the icon of suicide squad's fighters ( "dare to die corps"). They were usually armed with "da-dao" traditional broadswords, "Mauser C96" pistol and wore suicide vests made out of grenades. The icon of non-communist guerrillas is also necessary.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-12-01 19:08, Tuesday

Leon is right, it is an ambitious plan and probably will take 2 or 3 years or even longer. I'd also give the advice to play as many other campaigns as possible and check the different efiles before you start. Maybe you have done so already. Your excellent icons are a good starting point.
Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-01 07:35, Tuesday
2020yy wrote:
P. S. I shall try my best to make icons which respect the true history, so according to funny history in China, each side of the military power will have special units which other side of the power didn't have. For example the AT Gun, actually only the central army had it during the most time of WW2, and for warlords, it's not so possible to get them.
All these things can be easily realized in OpenGen Efile using fronts and factions!
There is also the possibility of BUY-Lists at scenario level. Or you can set up every warlord as a seperate nation with its own equipment, like KTM and Communists, Japan and all other nations.
But it also depends on the efile you use or if you want to start your own efile. But yeah, maybe you want to finish the icons first. Have fun :cool
Image Slava Ukraini!

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-11 02:10, Friday

Hello~
Sorry for my absence of many days~
Here is some updates of my icons:
WW2 Japanese Army from 1939-1945
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gZpfW6Whn3tYrSyt8
In those icons I added Type 100 SMG and Type 96 LMG as the new weapons.

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-11 02:17, Friday

The second updates is the basic infantry icons for WW2 China.
Including Northwestern warlord, Shanxi Warlord, Sichuan Warlord, Guangxi Warlord and Guangdong Warlord.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F1dkpFv5n6dvLQDZ7
The rest of the icons will be released soon, I'm still working on them~

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-11 04:54, Friday

2020yy wrote:
2020-12-11 02:10, Friday
WW2 Japanese Army from 1939-1945. In those icons I added Type 100 SMG and Type 96 LMG as the new weapons
Yes, but some icons actually duplicate Japanese icons already present in OpenIcons! Did you already sent an icons to Csaba? I'm sure Csaba will say that he doesn't see any point in having several almost identical icons in OpenIcons... ;)
2020yy wrote:
2020-12-11 02:17, Friday
Northwestern warlord, Shanxi Warlord, Sichuan Warlord, Guangxi Warlord and Guangdong Warlord
Some icons look like KMT infantry in winter blue uniform to me...

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-11 05:46, Friday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-11 04:54, Friday
2020yy wrote:
2020-12-11 02:10, Friday
WW2 Japanese Army from 1939-1945. In those icons I added Type 100 SMG and Type 96 LMG as the new weapons
Yes, but some icons actually duplicate Japanese icons already present in OpenIcons! Did you already sent an icons to Csaba? I'm sure Csaba will say that he doesn't see any point in having several almost identical icons in OpenIcons... ;)
2020yy wrote:
2020-12-11 02:17, Friday
Northwestern warlord, Shanxi Warlord, Sichuan Warlord, Guangxi Warlord and Guangdong Warlord
Some icons look like KMT infantry in winter blue uniform to me...

For the Japanese icons, actually there're many differences in details, I fixed them based on some historical photos.
And the for the WW2 KMT infantry, the blue uniform is the Warlord military power in Northern part of China, so it's winter uniform.
The infantry units wear British helmets are Northwestern Warlord. The German-helmet units are Shanxi warlord, you can see the HQ infantry is using Thompson Submachine Gun, it's a specialtie of Shanxi warlord.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-11 11:52, Friday

BTW. Making the icons is only half of work. You also have to make their description according to the OpenIcons.csv format!
And I remind also that OpenIcons currently contains many old-style chinese icons which should be replaced with the new ones. To do this you have to use the IDs of these old-style icons for appropriate new chinese icons you made. Other your icons should have your personal IDs. I can help you with replacing IDs of appropriate icons after all your icons will be ready. Let's save Csaba from the routine work demanding a lot of time that he doesn't have... ;)

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-12 09:30, Saturday

Hi~
This is the icons I made to replace the old WW2 Chinese icons.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ocKrRZ6iiHdfVQvKA

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-12 12:52, Saturday

Are you use "IconsTool" with suitable filter to see obsolete Chinese icons? Pay attention to these icons: JK451 and LE918-LE921 (WW1 / WW2 Chinese Nationalist) - inf in peaked caps. It would be nice to make the icons replacing them as well! I'll check all replacements tomorrow...

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-12 19:57, Saturday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-12 12:52, Saturday
Are you use "IconsTool" with suitable filter to see obsolete Chinese icons? Pay attention to these icons: JK451 and LE918-LE921 (WW1 / WW2 Chinese Nationalist) - inf in peaked caps. It would be nice to make the icons replacing them as well! I'll check all replacements tomorrow...

I shall check on those icons~
By the way, GMT Infantry in 1920s actually is wearing blue uniform and without collar, the military rank was on the sleeves. And basically GMT infantry was Soviet- Equiped.
I shall put those details on my work later~

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-14 05:07, Monday

2020yy wrote:
2020-12-12 19:57, Saturday
By the way, GMT Infantry in 1920s actually is wearing blue uniform
Are you sure? :notsure Here is some info from "Osprey, Men at Arms 306. Chinese Civil War Armies 1911-49".
Nationalist Uniforms 1920-28
In 1922 a new uniform was designed for the Kuomintang Army. It was described in the press as the 'new uniform of the warriors of Sun Yat-sen'. It consisted of a cotton peaked cap with a black band and the five-coloured star cap badge. The jacket was light khaki in colour and had red collar and shoulder insignia with the same system of ranks as the other armies of China at that time. Light khaki shorts and black woolen puttees finished off the new uniform, which was available in limited numbers only. By the time of the Northern Expedition of 1926 the Nationalists were wearing their own uniform, made from light brown cotton with the Nationalist sun emblem on the peaked cap. Trousers were worn with or without puttees. Riding breeches and leather gaiters were popular with officers. No rank distinctions were normally worn, although a few high-ranking officers did improvise by wearing Republican shoulder ranks on the left upper arm with a small Nationalist sun badge

Nationalist Uniforms 1928-45
In the early 1930s two basic uniforms were worn by the rank and file of the Nationalist Army. The Northern troops that first faced the invading Japanese wore grey padded cotton uniforms with either fur hats, old-style peaked caps or a field cap similar in shape to a French 'kepi'; all hats had the Kuomintang sun emblem. The southern Nationalist uniform became the standard uniform after the defeat of the northern armies in the fighting against Japan in the early 1930s. There were two versions of the southern uniform — summer and winter.
The summer uniform consisted of a light cotton khaki jacket which went from light khaki in colour to mid-brown, with many variations depending on local supplies. Jackets usually had two breast pockets and two waist pockets with five buttons down the front of the tunic and a stand and fall collar which carried the rank insignia. Above the left breast pocket was a unit patch which had a border in the branch colour - red for infantry and yellow for cavalry etc. Trousers were either breeches or long shorts in cotton and were worn with woollen puttees that came up to the knees. Headgear was either a field cap of the 'ski' type or a steel helmet, which came in various patterns.
Winter uniforms were made of padded or 'wadded' cotton material and were blue-grey in colour. They are usually described as blue uniforms that have faded, but this was not always the case: some would have been made from grey material. The padded jacket and trousers gave the wearer a 'podgy' and ungainly look but were quite effective at keeping him warm.

Steel helmets became more widely used during the 1930s, and by 1937 they were in quite widespread use in the Nationalist Army. Helmets came in a variety of types, including the German 1935 model, the French Adrian and both the British and American World War I models. Three types of Chinese-produced helmets were also in use; two were based on early Japanese helmets and one was a 'Pith'-type helmet similar to that worn by the Viet Cong in the Vietnam War. The German 1935 model helmet was the most 22 widely worn model from the mid-1930s till 1949. They were still being worn in the Civil War even though the American Ml was the standard model by that time. French Adrian helmets were mostly worn by troops in the provinces bordering French Indo-China and by the 19th Division, which was an American-trained division. All helmets had the Nationalist sun emblem on the left side of the helmet or on the front, and some of the French Adrian models had a badge on the front with the sun emblem in the centre of a wreath.
:huh

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-14 14:39, Monday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-14 05:07, Monday
2020yy wrote:
2020-12-12 19:57, Saturday
By the way, GMT Infantry in 1920s actually is wearing blue uniform
Are you sure? :notsure Here is some info from "Osprey, Men at Arms 306. Chinese Civil War Armies 1911-49".
Nationalist Uniforms 1920-28
In 1922 a new uniform was designed for the Kuomintang Army. It was described in the press as the 'new uniform of the warriors of Sun Yat-sen'. It consisted of a cotton peaked cap with a black band and the five-coloured star cap badge. The jacket was light khaki in colour and had red collar and shoulder insignia with the same system of ranks as the other armies of China at that time. Light khaki shorts and black woolen puttees finished off the new uniform, which was available in limited numbers only. By the time of the Northern Expedition of 1926 the Nationalists were wearing their own uniform, made from light brown cotton with the Nationalist sun emblem on the peaked cap. Trousers were worn with or without puttees. Riding breeches and leather gaiters were popular with officers. No rank distinctions were normally worn, although a few high-ranking officers did improvise by wearing Republican shoulder ranks on the left upper arm with a small Nationalist sun badge

Nationalist Uniforms 1928-45
In the early 1930s two basic uniforms were worn by the rank and file of the Nationalist Army. The Northern troops that first faced the invading Japanese wore grey padded cotton uniforms with either fur hats, old-style peaked caps or a field cap similar in shape to a French 'kepi'; all hats had the Kuomintang sun emblem. The southern Nationalist uniform became the standard uniform after the defeat of the northern armies in the fighting against Japan in the early 1930s. There were two versions of the southern uniform — summer and winter.
The summer uniform consisted of a light cotton khaki jacket which went from light khaki in colour to mid-brown, with many variations depending on local supplies. Jackets usually had two breast pockets and two waist pockets with five buttons down the front of the tunic and a stand and fall collar which carried the rank insignia. Above the left breast pocket was a unit patch which had a border in the branch colour - red for infantry and yellow for cavalry etc. Trousers were either breeches or long shorts in cotton and were worn with woollen puttees that came up to the knees. Headgear was either a field cap of the 'ski' type or a steel helmet, which came in various patterns.
Winter uniforms were made of padded or 'wadded' cotton material and were blue-grey in colour. They are usually described as blue uniforms that have faded, but this was not always the case: some would have been made from grey material. The padded jacket and trousers gave the wearer a 'podgy' and ungainly look but were quite effective at keeping him warm.

Steel helmets became more widely used during the 1930s, and by 1937 they were in quite widespread use in the Nationalist Army. Helmets came in a variety of types, including the German 1935 model, the French Adrian and both the British and American World War I models. Three types of Chinese-produced helmets were also in use; two were based on early Japanese helmets and one was a 'Pith'-type helmet similar to that worn by the Viet Cong in the Vietnam War. The German 1935 model helmet was the most 22 widely worn model from the mid-1930s till 1949. They were still being worn in the Civil War even though the American Ml was the standard model by that time. French Adrian helmets were mostly worn by troops in the provinces bordering French Indo-China and by the 19th Division, which was an American-trained division. All helmets had the Nationalist sun emblem on the left side of the helmet or on the front, and some of the French Adrian models had a badge on the front with the sun emblem in the centre of a wreath.
:huh
Actually you can check on this video
https://youtu.be/6T75U2FhLm0
This video is based on the latest textural research about Chinese uniforms in the past 100 years.
And as what I said before, my great grandfather was the officer in KMT military during the WW2, the family members of KMT military members still get in touch and it's easy to get the information about many details during that time~