ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Tips and tricks for the designers, playtests.

Moderator: Wonderdoctor

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Re: ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-15 08:10, Tuesday

:howdy Interesting video but it doesn't refute the info from Osprey. Starting with 1912 the images of early uniform show two variants of uniform: summer (khaki) and winter (blue)! There is no need to entirely quote a big posts - it clutters the forum...
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

2020yy
Private
Private

Re: ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-15 08:48, Tuesday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-15 08:10, Tuesday
:howdy Interesting video but it doesn't refute the info from Osprey. Starting with 1912 the images of early uniform show two variants of uniform: summer (khaki) and winter (blue)! There is no need to entirely quote a big posts - it clutters the forum...
Well, to be honest😂 there's some information you missed in the subtitles, the color of the uniform is not based on the weather but based on the which side of military power the soldiers joined.
For example, in 1912, in the video, the Khaki uniform is the revolutionary army in southern part of China, they made their uniforms in Japan style, and the blue uniform is the regular uniform for the Beiyang warlords(New Army of Qing)

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-15 12:35, Tuesday

In any case early KMT troops could wear khaki uniform so it's not the error... ;)
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2020-12-15 17:41, Tuesday

yes, nice video there thanks for sharing :yes ...not of interest to me in gaming sense - except historical so I saved it - as i made only handful of medieval themed icons of thousands needed so it is definitely abandoned as idea ;) .... nothing related, but once had small work on Asian influences/mercenaries, Venetian traders and our kingdom in medieval period, mention without need... :)

btw welcome also, interesting personal story and I understand your eventual language troubles, good luck with works.

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-16 06:15, Wednesday

Hey guys, I hope this would be the last argument about the early KMT uniform in this fourm.
The information I colleced was form different sides, including retired military officers in Taiwan and some scholars of military history in mainland China.
First we shall go through the history of China in 1920s.
KMT didn't has it's own independent military power until the year of 1924.
16th of June, 1924, was the date when Republic of China Military Academy formed by KMT, with the support of Soviet Russia, the National Revolutionary Army was established at the same time.
At that time, National Revolutionary Army try to show the difference to the Guangdong warlord's uniform(Khaki), they choose blue as the basic color of the uniform.
And during the Northern Expedition War(1926-1928), the uniform of KMT military still was in blue.
Some movies could show it.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7185492/

The Northern Expedition War ended in 1928(Fengtian Warlord surrendered to KMT), and KMT government became the only lligal government in China.
At the same year, central government(Nanjing) started a military reformation inside National Revolutionary Army in order to build a modernized military power of China. Also at that time, the Khaki uniform was gradually equiped by Central Army.

But few generals in KMT were not so satisfied with the reformation inside the military because of the concerns of loosing power, they started a new civil war called“Central Plains War” in 1930,those generals who against Nanjing government built a new government in Beiping(Beijing), and their military power were still wearing blue uniform, and Nanjing government's military power already equiped Khaki uniform.

The following link is the pictures I collected form some retired Taiwan military officers:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GU1jdKQXc14yJRHV6

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-16 10:53, Wednesday

Very Interesting info, thanks! :notworthy
As for old icons replacing. Some icons from Replace old icons.zip have the IDs of appropriate old icons (that is correct) while other icons still have "CA..." IDs. I think the list should look like this:

BN157.png
BNE02.png
BNH70_CA034.png (it means you have to rename CA034 to BNH70, same for other icons with "CA..." ID)*
JK449_CA001.png
JK450.png
JKS82_CAA003.png
JKS85_CA022.png
JKS86.png
JKS87_CA023.png
JKS88.png
JKS89.png
JKS90.png
JKS91.png
JKS93_CA065.png
JKS94.png
JKS95_CA026.png
JKS96_CA044.png
JKS97.png
WD63_CA063.png

* BTW: men in blue uniform on BNH70 icon look more like civil police to me while CA034 icon depicts military police.
And you have to make the icons to replace JK451 and LE918-LE921 (early KMT infantry). Obsolete SB70, SL35 icons (militia infantry) also should be replaced... :huh

But I can suggest another variant. I can replace all obsolete chinese icons that are now in OpenIcons (the list is above) with my icons especially because these new-style icons are already made. Then all your icons will be added as new ones with your personal CA IDs. I'm sure it is more convenient and easier for you!

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2020-12-16 15:53, Wednesday

2020yy:
I hope this would be the last argument about the early KMT uniform in this fourm
not the place probably, but no trouble... no need to look at it in bad way, "argument" is good thing. I argued many times, and argue constantly, with people of profession, domestic and foreign, on many subjects - however my topics are much more arguable as they predate good records, sources and photography era and are often based on guessing and wrong conclusions :)
The following link is the pictures I collected form some retired Taiwan military officers:
:yes valuable for mention as well, thanks. to note, as is case with videos you posted before, made by Taiwanese/ROC folks... there is nothing contoversial there, just note to pedant people.
Some movies could show it.
:lol hope not as accurate as many western historical movies. This is joke if you didn't watch many as we, from US to Austarlia and Europe, often include many fictional and unhistorical details and representations in them... again, i'm just talking nothing controversial about blue uniforms and your era :)

thanks for details again, i just like them and consider people from region (regardless of topic) valuable conversants... got interest about Asian subjects some time ago via some works by Asian (i'm not equalising Mongols roots with Chinese or Japanese) exiles after Russian revolution, they even had buddhist temple in my city from circa 1920-1944, one of first in Europe. In a way it has similarities (indirect) with China story.... as said not place, just to say there was no agument - good work with technical stuff and graphics...

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-17 13:01, Thursday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-16 10:53, Wednesday
Hello~ I'm still working on other icons, but you can take what I just finished to replace the old icons.
"CA"is not the final ID number, it's only a kind of reminder, remind me the icon is "KMT Central Army"😅

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-17 13:51, Thursday

1. It doesn't matter what names you use for your new icons but if you put the link to the icons intended for replacing some old icons then you must use the old names. Otherwise, no one can understand if these replacements are correct or not! Do you understand what I am talking about? :phew

2. What about my suggestion (see bold text in my post above)?

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2020-12-18 00:07, Friday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-17 13:51, Thursday
1. It doesn't matter what names you use for your new icons but if you put the link to the icons intended for replacing some old icons then you must use the old names. Otherwise, no one can understand if these replacements are correct or not! Do you understand what I am talking about? :phew

2. What about my suggestion (see bold text in my post above)?
Well, I understand what you suggest, and I never deny your plan for using the old icon ID....
About the second suggestion, maybe we can think about it later~

Fitzmarcel
Private
Private

Post by Fitzmarcel » 2021-01-04 20:06, Monday

Hi all,

I made some new icons for French Army 39/45 and edited some existing ones.
For example, edited the "kaki" color of the existing french troops to be more accurate, or adding tricolor roundel on tanks or recon vehicles, or editing backpacks, or hats or helmets or bayonets, etc...
I first planned on using them only for myself and my personal campaigns, but i would like to share them with you. Let me know if you think it could be added in the database.

Chasseurs Alpins (1940) (Mountain Troop) White :

Pontonniers (1940) (Bridging) :

Dragons Portés 1940 (Armored Infantery) :

Liore et Olivier LeO 451 (1940) :

Chasseurs à Pieds (1940) (Light Infantery) :

Tirailleurs Sénégalais (1940) :

Cavalerie (1940) :

Sapeurs (1940) (Ingeneering Troops) :

Garnison (1940) :

Infanterie (1941) :

Groupes Francs (1940) (Frank corps) :

Somua S40 (1940) :

Renault G1R (1941) :

Renault G1R bis (1942)

AMX 40 (1940) :

Hotchkiss H39 recolor (1940) :

B1 bis (1940) :

B1 ter (1940) :

B40 (planned for 1942)

ARL 40 canon automoteur (1940) :

Infanterie (1940) :

Reconnaissance à cheval (1940) (Mounted recon) :

MB.162 (planned for 1941) :

Amiot 354 (1940) :

AMD 178 recolor (1940) :

AMD Gendron-Somua 39 (1940) :

Tirailleurs Algériens (1940) :

Tirailleurs Indochinois (1940) :

Tirailleurs Marocains (1940) :

Legion Etrangère (1940) :

AMD 178B (1943) :

Lorraine 37L + canon 47mm AC

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-01-04 21:52, Monday

:howdy Welcome to the forum. I was hoping you would join one day.

Great icons, like the ones you showed back in the day at JPs. Surely it would be great to see the icons added to the database one day.
Funnily, i added the Chasseur de Chars Lorraine to my efile last week. With a wrong icon of course. Now i see you made it :yes
Image Slava Ukraini!

Fitzmarcel
Private
Private

Post by Fitzmarcel » 2021-01-05 23:00, Tuesday

Hi Randowe ! Thanks for your kind welcome !

Since last year, i finaly made up my mind to go on and play OpenGeneral (which is, i must admit, really really great !!) instead of slacking on Panzer General for ever (due to nostalgia) :p

I just saw in the icons request topic that you wanted the Latil M2 TZ french truck. I made it some weeks ago, so please be my guest if you find it good enough for your games.

Concerning the french units i posted yesterday (note that i have plenty more i didnt post for avoiding too much flood), can the admins answer my question : do you want me to share all of my stuff (with appropriate description, etc, as shown in the 1st post of this topic) in order to add my french icons to the DB/replace the existing ones ?

As i said yesterday, i reworked a bunch of french units of era 1939/1940 :
- add backpack to all of them (by this time, french soldiers were just like mules)
- edit the color of the uniform to be more "kaki/brown" in order to be more historicaly accurate, cause i found the actual color in the DB to be a little too much "kaki only"
- edit the color of helmets & some hats of colonial troops (algerian, senegalese, morrocan, indochina)
- add tanks/planes who were on the drawing board or prototypes in 1940 and years later (series of char G1 f.e or fighter planes MB 155, 157, etc)
- edit tanks already in the DB (chars B1, ARL v39 40, etc)

Bref ! Let me know guys if you want me to dress a complete list of my french icons, with appropriate descriptions and stuff :)
Bonne année à tous !

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2021-01-06 07:25, Wednesday

Your icons look nice but most of them duplicate existing icons which also look good (I'm talking primarily about icons of infantry class). So I don't think existing icons need to be replaced! :notsure It would be possible to add your icons as alternative ones but Csaba usually doesn't do this because of some limitations for OpenIcons.dat...:dunno

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-01-06 12:50, Wednesday

But some infantries icons are new and unique? Like the winter Chasseurs Alpins or the Groupes Francs. I guess many of the vehicles and planes are also new and unique or new recolors. Especially the prototypes. I also remember the FCM F1 monster tank proto, which is not posted yet but was posted at JP's.

Anyway, the best way is to choose a unique Icon ID like FI and then Fitzmarcel has to create a excel sheet with all IDs and informations:
ID; Description; Color; Type; County; Chassis; Style; Designer

But for now we maybe reached some kind of dead end when it comes to icons. There are also Leon's and 2020yy's and my icons from last year.
We live in tough times and Csaba has no time to take care of them and add them to the openicons.dat and nobody else is able to do it and volunteers (myself inculded) :dunno And other Efile-makers don't seems to care anyway :huh

I guess all of you, Leon, 2020yy and Fitzmarcel work on your own efiles?
Image Slava Ukraini!

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2021-01-06 13:27, Wednesday

There are also e-files outside the repository ...

If Fitzmarcel :howdy agrees to make his icons available to the PG / OG community - it would be good for him to share them with descriptions for download -> put them on a server (e.g. google drive) and provide a link to the directory (where they are)

Fitzmarcel
Private
Private

Post by Fitzmarcel » 2021-01-07 21:29, Thursday

@Cat Leon

Thanks for your compliment ! Indeed my "reworked" infantry class icons look quite similar from the existing ones. I just made some edits about the global color of uniforms (made a little bit more brown, as it was in real life), helmets, and add backpacks for my french soldiers.

It may look pointless, but as a French i prefer to have better looking units when playing with the glorious ( :bonk ) French army from 1940

@randowe

Yes i also made some totaly new icons (infantry, tanks, plane, artillery, etc !).
As you say, i will make an excel sheet with all my icons, all ID's and stuff (descri, color, ...) and add it to google drive as Sympatyk propose ! This way, all people can get access to the icons if they want to :)

And yes Randowe, i have my "own" efiles with hundred and hundred of edited stuff, to better fit with the current campaign i'm making !

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2021-01-08 18:44, Friday

...but as a French i prefer to have better looking units when playing with the glorious ( :bonk ) French army...
better? but they look like Quasimodo now with addition :)

don't mind the joke (that's me, of course nice work) welcome, good luck with camp and see you in the "cafe" )

Fitzmarcel
Private
Private

Post by Fitzmarcel » 2021-01-08 22:33, Friday

Ale wrote:
2021-01-08 18:44, Friday
...but as a French i prefer to have better looking units when playing with the glorious ( :bonk ) French army...
better? but they look like Quasimodo now with addition :)

don't mind the joke (that's me, of course nice work) welcome, good luck with camp and see you in the "cafe" )
Hey :uzi That's a backpack !!

... Wait, it doesnt look like a backpack ?! :eek

(Thanks for your welcome !)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2021-01-09 00:16, Saturday

there, there, i demonstrated French fighting spirit and battle readiness when you say them right words :)

so sorry again, we will not make any circus here and it is not the place, just added as it is funny continuation... out but most seriously, icons are nice and it looks like real backpack full of petards :) hope you stay around. to be on topic wish i had time to make efile and include your nice works...

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2021-01-09 13:07, Saturday

Fitzmarcel wrote:
2021-01-05 23:00, Tuesday
edit the color of the uniform to be more "kaki/brown"
How did you change the uniform color (by hands or using some special trick)? ;)

Fitzmarcel
Private
Private

Post by Fitzmarcel » 2021-01-09 13:28, Saturday

Cat Leon wrote:
2021-01-09 13:07, Saturday
Fitzmarcel wrote:
2021-01-05 23:00, Tuesday
edit the color of the uniform to be more "kaki/brown"
How did you change the uniform color (by hands or using some special trick)? ;)
I use Photoshop to work my icons.
All icons file are, basicaly, .Png in "indexed color", so i put them in "rgb color" to work them more easily.
So, in PS, i make a selection of the background color (the "pink" one if you prefer). Then i "revert" my selection, allowing me to have selected the 9 sides (and only them) of my brave french infantry guys.
Then i go play with the "level of colors"(dont know the exact translation in english) until i find a result that suit me (aka uniforms looking a little bit more "green brown" than kaki/olive as they are basicaly).
Then, i put back the image in "indexed mode", go in the color panel, and check if there's a transparent one (if yes,this one will make my icons bug ingame) and just transform the transparent one in random dark or grey or whatever.
Save as png, etc... aaand it's done !

For the helmets or even backpacks, i edit once pixel by pixel the 9 sides, and save these as a png i can copy/paste onto other infantry units, to gain time.

Dont know if my english is clear enough, but i can take some screenshots that will "talk" better than me !

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-01-09 13:46, Saturday

Fitzmarcel wrote:
2021-01-09 13:28, Saturday
So, in PS, i make a selection of the background color (the "pink" one if you prefer). Then i "revert" my selection, allowing me to have selected the 9 sides (and only them) of my brave french infantry guys.
[...]
But keep in mind that you change all colors within your selection! That means the original information/color is changed = lost.
Take a look at the skin color of the hands and faces in your latest picture and you will notice that it also has changed.
Of course the changes to the skin color are small and will be probably invisible in the game but the original skin color is gone.
If you rework infantry various icons in various ways the original skin color will be changed in various ways. Then that maybe adds up over time...
Image Slava Ukraini!

Fitzmarcel
Private
Private

Post by Fitzmarcel » 2021-01-09 18:57, Saturday

randowe wrote:
2021-01-09 13:46, Saturday
Fitzmarcel wrote:
2021-01-09 13:28, Saturday
[...]
But keep in mind that you change all colors within your selection! That means the original information/color is changed = lost.
Take a look at the skin color of the hands and faces in your latest picture and you will notice that it also has changed.
Of course the changes to the skin color are small and will be probably invisible in the game but the original skin color is gone.
If you rework infantry various icons in various ways the original skin color will be changed in various ways. Then that maybe adds up over time...
You're right, but that's a minor change i dont want to bother with right now. However, before I decide that all my icons are ready to be posted here (in a google drive or whatever), I will take the "original" skin pixels (for example in jkk99.png or whatever), select them (using "color range") and copy/paste them onto all my news infantry icons.
So my brave french infantryman won't look like they spend too much time sunbathing :)

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-02-18 15:07, Thursday

Any news on openicons.dat or icons in general? :huh
Image Slava Ukraini!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-04-21 10:19, Wednesday

Here are some icons i made in the recent weeks. They can be found in the efile's equipicons once the efile is published. I'll make some more icons before the new version of the efile will be released end of April/May. There is nothing new, just recolors and rearrangements i need:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image

Code: Select all

ra067	A13 Cruiser Mk IV + Flag (mod. BN866)
ra068	A15 Crusader Mk II + Flag (mod. BN868)
ra069	Dodge T110 3-ton (mod. LE186)
ra070	Fiat-SPA AS 42 Sahariana + Gruppo Sahariano (Light Infantry x2) (mod. PT231 / JCU74)
ra071	Opel Blitz 3.6 Lastkraftwagen 3 t (mod. JKY40)
ra072	Opel Blitz A LKW Funkwagen (radio) (mod. JKY 40 / ZYC29)
ra073	T-34-85 + Flag (mod. BND02)
ra074	T-34-85 + Flag (mod. GA53)
ra075	T-34-85 + Flag (mod. GA54)
ra076	T-34 / 1941 (captured) + Flag (mod. LV085)
ra077	Praga T-9 (mod. TDZ43)
ra078	Praga T-9 (mod. TDZ45)
ra079	Praga T-9 (mod. BNA12)
ra080	Dodge T110 3-ton (captured) (mod. JK228)
ra081	Dodge T110 3-ton (captured) (mod. BN955)
ra082	SdKfz 251/22 SPW + 75 mm PaK 40 L/46 + Panzerschutzen (mod. JCO52 / JRM7M)
ra083	L6/40 Lf Lancia fiamme (flamethrower) (mod. BN183)
ra084	L6/40 Centro Radio (mod. BN183)
ra085	Horch 901 Typ 40 mgPkw (Kfz 12) + 4.5 inch (114 mm) T45 rocket launcher (mod. PT198 / BN455)
ra086	Horch 901 Typ 40 mgPkw (Kfz 12) + 4.5 inch (114 mm) T45 rocket launcher (mod. BN375 / BN444)
ra087	Mobile Division HQ (BA-10) (mod. ZYE42)
ra088	Mobile Corps HQ (BA-10) (mod. ZYE42)
ra089	Mobile Army HQ (BA-10) (mod. ZYE42)
ra090	Mobile Division HQ (Landsverk L-180) (mod. BN778)
ra091	Mobile Corps HQ (Landsverk L-180) (mod. BN778)
ra092	Mobile Army HQ (Landsverk L-180) (mod. BN778)
ra093	7.92 mm MG 08 (Redif 1912) (MG Infantry x2) (mod. JCM11 / JCM26)
ra094	7.92 mm MG 08 (Araplar) (MG Infantry x2) (mod. JCM14 / JCM26)
ra095	Bruckenpioniere 1936 (Bridging Infantry x3) + Roadblock + Minefield Sign (mod. JCO85 / CV06 / CV12)
ra096	Bruckenpioniere 1936 (Bridging Infantry x3) + Roadblock + Minefield Sign (mod. JCO56 / CV06 / CV12)
ra097	Bruckenpioniere 1936 (Bridging Infantry x3) + Roadblock + Minefield Sign (mod. JCO98 / CV06 / CV12)
ra098	Renault AGR 3.5 t (mod. TDU39)
ra099	Generic missile on launch pad (mod. WDE13)
ra100	Generic missile on launch pad (mod. WDE13)
ra101	Generic missile on launch pad (mod. WDE13)

[EDIT: after testing/playing i changed the icons 77-81 and kept only the small german insignia on the doors]

[EDIT2: since nobody is interested anyway, i'll save my time and won't post more of my new icons in the future. But you always can extract more icons & descriptions from my efile's equipicons.dat :deal ]
Image Slava Ukraini!

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2021-05-23 10:43, Sunday

Hi everyone, long time no see~
Any news about the update of template pack???
Still need more template to finish my plan of icons making...
By the way, is there anyone here has the template of cold war/ 2000 vehicles?
Looking forward for your response~~

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2021-06-02 05:18, Wednesday

:howdy BTW. Did you send your Chinese icons to Csaba?

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2021-06-02 06:52, Wednesday

Cat Leon wrote:
2021-06-02 05:18, Wednesday
:howdy BTW. Did you send your Chinese icons to Csaba?
Well, not yet😂 Because I find out the Icons pack of China is not so completely finished, need more cold war template to assist, especially the template of cold War USA, Israel, South Korea, China.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2021-06-03 05:41, Thursday

2020yy wrote:
2021-06-02 06:52, Wednesday
Well, not yet😂 Because I find out the Icons pack of China is not so completely finished, need more cold war template to assist, especially the template of cold War USA, Israel, South Korea, China.
You may wait for these templates for a very long time! So I think you have to finish and send to Csaba WW2 Chinese icons and then gradually continue making cold war icons... ;)

2020yy
Private
Private

Post by 2020yy » 2021-06-05 02:33, Saturday

Cat Leon wrote:
2021-06-03 05:41, Thursday
2020yy wrote:
2021-06-02 06:52, Wednesday
You may wait for these templates for a very long time! So I think you have to finish and send to Csaba WW2 Chinese icons and then gradually continue making cold war icons... ;)
Okay~

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-10-26 14:28, Tuesday

In the recent weeks i created this ugly Schwimmpanzer II out of the existing Panzer II [PA137] icon. I hope somebody can make a better one or enhance it somehow :dunno I really want this unit in the efile so please please :help

Image Slava Ukraini!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-11-07 13:33, Sunday

:howdy

As Csaba will be temporarily out of duty, because his job is requiring all his time, I'll take the responsibility of updating the icons into OpenIcons.dat.

At the moment ONLY new icons will be added to the dat file, not replacements, nor fake icons. :nyet

I'd need to get all pending icons together with its descriptions as .csv format, so please resend all pending icons to me :doh

I won't update the icon's database though, only the dat+csv files will be upload to minimize the time required to update icons. :deal

Sorry for the inconveniences and delays and thanks a lot for being patient. :notworthy
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-11-08 13:46, Monday

What is a fake icon?
Image Slava Ukraini!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-11-08 15:55, Monday

Well, "fake" icons are pairs of icon-names entries that allow to keep playable, old campaigns using icons that have been replaced nowadays.
Tose entries translate the old (fake) icon name into an existing replacement icon.

The mechanism to add those "fake" (or replacements) icons, is done using the sql icons db, which I won't update until Csaba come back.
:howdy

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-11-08 17:00, Monday

:idea i know what is meant. Didn't know it's called fake icons :bonk

You can take what you want from my equipicons from the latest efile version i posted in my efile thread.
You will also find some replacement icons i want to have in my efile. There will be more replacement icons in the future. I also want to keep my equipicons files to have everything in one place and because it is easier to work with these files. But yeah, feel free to take what you need from the equipicons :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2021-11-09 11:28, Tuesday

You can take what you want from my equipicons from the latest efile version i posted in my efile thread.
:no I'd need another life to do that :noway

If you don't want to have your new icons in the official OpenIcons, no problem, keep them wherever you prefer.
:whatever

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-06-20 21:29, Monday

I plan to create some generic Arab/African/Central Asian infantry icons. For easy filter options i will use the RAN prefix instead of my RA. So i would like to reserve the RAN prefix as well :yes
Image Slava Ukraini!

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-06-21 06:23, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2022-06-20 21:29, Monday
I plan to create some generic Arab/African/Central Asian infantry icons. For easy filter options i will use the RAN prefix instead of my RA. So i would like to reserve the RAN prefix as well :yes
:yes

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-07-30 19:08, Saturday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-01-07 10:09, Tuesday
KNIL
Hey Leon,

in the past you made 6 KNIL icons. Did you make some more later on? Or do you plan to make more? Also for MG and mortar units?
I will finish a large Tarakan map soon and it would be great to have some more KNILicons :cool
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-08-05 12:16, Friday

randowe wrote:
2022-07-30 19:08, Saturday
in the past you made 6 KNIL icons. Did you make some more later on? Or do you plan to make more? Also for MG and mortar units?
:howdy I actually made and sent Csaba two complete asets of Dutch icons (for Europe and Dutch India) including the icons for replacing old-style icons. In my cat's eye all my Dutch icons look as other new-style icons but Csaba included only 7 icons for some reasons that are clear only to him! :wink
LE160 - new icon that replaced old-style LE160 and new icons:
LED85 - Huzaren (Cavalry x3)
LEF04-08 - KNIL icons (the nation for LEF08 should also be "WW2 Netherlands KNIL" instead of "WW2 Netherlands" in the OpenIcons.csv).
I could send all the missing Dutch icons with description to Luis for adding to OpenIcons.dat if he doesn't mind of course. Or if he doesn't mind I can add icons description myself in the latest OpenIcons.csv and send it to Luis...

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-08-05 14:03, Friday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-08-05 12:16, Friday
randowe wrote:
2022-07-30 19:08, Saturday
:howdy I actually made and sent Csaba two complete asets of Dutch icons (for Europe and Dutch India) including the icons for replacing old-style icons. In my cat's eye all my Dutch icons look as other new-style icons but Csaba included only 7 icons for some reasons that are clear only to him! :wink
LE160 - new icon that replaced old-style LE160 and new icons:
LED85 - Huzaren (Cavalry x3)
LEF04-08 - KNIL icons (the nation for LEF08 should also be "WW2 Netherlands KNIL" instead of "WW2 Netherlands" in the OpenIcons.csv).
I could send all the missing Dutch icons with description to Luis for adding to OpenIcons.dat if he doesn't mind of course. Or if he doesn't mind I can add icons description myself in the latest OpenIcons.csv and send it to Luis...
Csaba is not active anymore since quite some time now. So i don't know how to proceed with the openicons.dat :dunno
But i would highly appreciate it, if you could send me your KNIL icons via email, then i could add them to my equipicons.dat.

Today i almost finished the Tarakan map. I think i just need one more day of work in photoshop until the map picture is done.
I plan to use the Tarakan map in my large campaign but also i plan to create a standalone scenario about the Battle of Tarakan in 1942 using KNIL icons.
Making the map was fun so i am thinking about another map of the Netherlands overseas territory. I'll see.

Anyway, i will send you a private message with my email address :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-08-07 03:55, Sunday

I will send you the icons of course but I have to first figure out what Dutch icons are currently in OpenIcons.dat and what icons names are used! It demands some time...

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-08-07 15:47, Sunday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-08-07 03:55, Sunday
I will send you the icons of course but I have to first figure out what Dutch icons are currently in OpenIcons.dat and what icons names are used! It demands some time...
:howdy Please take your time. There is no need to hurry. Maybe you can sent me the icons without descriptions, so i can take a look?
I finished the Tarakan map today. Now mapx... :cool
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-08-08 05:31, Monday

I sent you Zip with icons yesterday afternoon! :huh

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-08-08 10:20, Monday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-08-08 05:31, Monday
I sent you Zip with icons yesterday afternoon! :huh
Great! The descriptions are good. Do you want to change something? Maybe i missunderstood you.
So i would like to add everything to my equipicons if it is okay :cool Many thanks for your work :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-08-08 10:43, Monday

randowe wrote:
2022-08-08 10:20, Monday
Do you want to change something?
No, I'm not going to change anything... ;)
BTW, as far as I remember very nice Tarakan map (#178) was made for PG2 or that map doesn't suit you?

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-08-10 11:16, Wednesday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-08-08 10:43, Monday
BTW, as far as I remember very nice Tarakan map (#178) was made for PG2 or that map doesn't suit you?
The map is too small. I am only using big maps nowadays. In all my future campaigns i will use maps of the size of 3150x3000 pixel only and will never use such a small map as #178 again :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-08-13 19:49, Saturday

I think i will modify LED96 and create a new icon with hats and darker skin tone for indigenous troops.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-08-15 10:05, Monday

randowe wrote:
2022-08-13 19:49, Saturday
I think i will modify LED96 and create a new icon with hats and darker skin tone for indigenous troops.
Then add this icon as JC179 instead of my JC179 icon "Stadswacht (Militia Infantry x3) + hat" (my icon replaced old-style JC179) to avoid duplicate the icons... ;)