600+ new unit sounds.

Tips and tricks for the designers, playtests.

Moderator: Wonderdoctor

Geoff Brady
Private
Private

600+ new unit sounds.

Post by Geoff Brady » 2022-04-17 17:30, Sunday

Hello. This is my first time on this forum. I have Been playing OG for about five years. During this time I have created over 600 individual unit sound MP3 files. I have put many hours into these new unit sounds and they are of good quality. My main objective was to give all the units of the major countries from1937 - 1945 their own move sound and attack sound. I tried to make as many sounds authentic. So a Pz 38(t) is the sound of a 38(t). A Dewoitine D 520 is an actual Dewoitine D 520, and the infantry have the sounds of their nations weapons. The only major nation I have not worked on yet is the Empire of Japan. Where an actual sound was un-available I tried to use the nearest thing. And the rest I just became creative, using my best guess. I find these sounds spice up the game.

I am not sure whether these sounds would be desired by other OG players. I did it for myself mainly, but if there is an interest I was wondering what would be the best way to make the sounds available for others to enjoy.

Forums are actually new to me.

Geoff Brady

sympatyk
Major
Major

Re: 600+ new unit sounds.

Post by sympatyk » 2022-04-17 18:25, Sunday

Welcome to the forum :howdy

If you want to share these sounds, write on what terms - under what license (is it allowed to use only, can you only use non-commercial, is it possible to create derivative works (mix etc.) And the most important thing is that you are the author and it is your job.
What format are these sounds in?

In my humble opinion -> Each e-file creator will decide if he wants to use them
Every person playing the game can also (if he can) swap and enjoy what he likes ...

There was a topic
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=111

but no one wrote here for a long time ...
You need to describe when giving a number
- what is that sound,
- for whom,
- what it shows (attack, move, dying)

It's just my opinion ...

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-04-17 18:34, Sunday

sympatyk wrote:
2022-04-17 18:25, Sunday
Welcome to the forum :howdy

If you want to share these sounds, write on what terms - under what license (is it allowed to use only, can you only use non-commercial, is it possible to create derivative works (mix etc.) And the most important thing is that you are the author and it is your job.
What format are these sounds in?

In my humble opinion -> Each e-file creator will decide if he wants to use them
Every person playing the game can also (if he can) swap and enjoy what he likes ...

There was a topic
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=111
:yes
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-04-17 18:58, Sunday

:welcome Geoff

I hope one of your sounds is a new bicycle sound :lol I once tried to create a one but failed :bonk
Would i use new sounds for my efile? Most certainly!
But as symaptyk pinted out, you have to go the "official" way and book the sound numbers,... descriptions, licence etc.
Have a pleasant stay in these forums :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

Geoff Brady
Private
Private

Post by Geoff Brady » 2022-04-18 16:24, Monday

Hello

Thank you all for your prompt replies and the welcome.

I do not know much about licensing. But I know I want the sound files I've created to be available freely for all Open General players and designers to use how and as they wish, if they so desire. Some people call it an "Un-Copyright".

These sound files are in mp3 format at 128k, and are for the move, attack and die sounds allocated to the SFX folder. I have heeded the numbering rules, and used only the allotted free numbers for my file names so there is no clash. I have also added the sound mp3 names to the the Open_SFX document, so the sound's number and name/description shows up in the OpenSuite.

Anyway. I shall do some research on licensing to find the license for these files.

And randowe, there is a bicycle file that's not so squeaky.

Cheers

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-04-19 21:45, Tuesday

Geoff Brady wrote:
2022-04-18 16:24, Monday
And randowe, there is a bicycle file that's not so squeaky.
That's what i had hoped for :cool
I don't play with sound myself, because i would rather listen to music, but every time i hear the bicycle sound in one of Major Heinz Let's Plays i get horror movie vibes :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2022-04-20 10:28, Wednesday

:howdy
I shall do some research on licensing to find the license for these files.
Writing this
But I know I want the sound files I've created to be available freely for all Open General players and designers to use how and as they wish, if they so desire.
- In fact, you already specified the license, because you defined the rules for sharing files
An open question (which you haven't specified) is commercial use
To formalize it - see and choose
https://creativecommons.org/about/cclicenses/