Dimitris try to make a campaign

Tips and tricks for the designers, playtests.

Moderator: Wonderdoctor

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Dimitris try to make a campaign

Post by Dimitris GR » 2022-12-20 09:37, Tuesday

After long time, i decided to start my first campaign. As i only make 1 scenario, i am sure it will be not easy at the beginning.
It will be a campaign with 27 scenarios, all big maps (23 by randowe and 4 by sympatik).
It will be in 3 parts, all the maps will have sea, so the player can use ships, the player will alway trys to hold VH (or recapture).
First part will be in North Africa and Middle east, then to Mediterranean and finaly to coasts of Atlantic and then to North.
It starts 1943 and finsih about 1945-1946.
No proto is my choice, leader triggers and big army. The player will have only German units from Atomic efile and the motive for BV as will have more pp.
Enemies will be UK, USA, France, Italy and at the end Soviets.
I think the most hard will be the beginning, as i have a lot of questions.
I ll post later the maps that i want to use.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Dimitris try to make a campaign

Post by randowe » 2022-12-20 16:08, Tuesday

That will be great :banana
I'm curious to see tha campaign path :cool
Image Slava Ukraini!

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2022-12-21 12:15, Wednesday

The campaign path :
1st part: Tunis -> Sydra -> Tobruk -> Sollum -> Siwa -> El Alamein -> Alexandria -> Port Said -> Canakkale
2nd part: Crete -> Rhodes -> Athens -> Thermopoylae -> Malta -> Sicilia -> Cassino -> Mallorca -> Malaga
3rd part: Chebourg -> Caen -> Brithish Channel -> Dunkirk -> Ostende -> Frieslland -> Malmo -> Leningrad -> Viipuri

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-12-21 13:10, Wednesday

Path looks great :cool :cool You do not use map 1554 Amsterdam? Could be used between Ostende and Friesland.
You already found a name for the campaign?
Image Slava Ukraini!

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2022-12-21 15:17, Wednesday

Great idea, i forgot this map.
So,

The campaign path :
1st part: Tunis -> Sydra -> Tobruk -> Sollum -> Siwa -> El Alamein -> Alexandria -> Port Said -> Canakkale
2nd part: Crete -> Rhodes -> Athens -> Thermopoylae -> Malta -> Sicilia -> Cassino -> Mallorca -> Malaga
3rd part: Chebourg -> Caen -> Brithish Channel -> Dunkirk -> Ostende -> Amsterdam -> Frieslland -> Malmo -> Leningrad -> Viipuri.
I have a couple of ideas about the name, i need 1 more so i ll post theese names soon.

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Dimitris GR » 2022-12-26 16:09, Monday

First of all i want to ask the difference of the AI versions.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-12-27 15:45, Tuesday

Only Luis can tell you the difference between the various AI versions. I guess AI 2.0 is the OG standart and i suggest using that one.
Image Slava Ukraini!

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by none » 2023-02-03 18:46, Friday

Apparently (well, at least last time I was alive) v.3 was just v.2 with some really minor differences/improvements (IIRC?).

For a scenario builder the issue is how the AI will react to your setting, and that might surprise you at first (till you get used to how it "thinks"). I'd suggest you default to v.2, playtest your scenarios, and fix/adapt the settings each time the AI does something stupid (until it doesn't happen too much). Fine-tuning for AI limitations is actually 90% of the work of making a campaign: The human player needs to be challenged, not face a predictable automate you can exploit the limitations of.

I for myself like to live on the edge, and I hard-code my campaigns for AI v.3, despite not knowing what it will be...
(Apparently nothing, but I'd love to be proven wrong! :P)