Preventing purchase *after deployment*?

Tips and tricks for the designers, playtests.

Moderator: Wonderdoctor

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Preventing purchase *after deployment*?

Post by none » 2023-08-08 17:33, Tuesday

I need to pick your collective brains (if there is still anybody here):
Is there a way to prevent the player from purchasing units after deployment?

The player is supposed to be able to buy at the start of the scenario, before deployment, but not after (and he'll gather quite some prestige. The problem is that he might impulsively buy units to help him with the current scenario, while he should rather keep the prestige to equip himself rationally for the next one...).

Prestige cap only works for the attribution of victory money, during the game you can freely go above.

Not putting any supply (entry) hexes on the map works for ground units, but to deploy planes you only need an airport, any airport, and I definitely don't want the player pulling a Balbo!... :lol

The solution I've found so far is to balance prestige cap, victory money and the amount of prestige he's likely to collect from hexes and not use during the scenario (XXL map, lots of hexes! But then again, lots of airplane damage in this necessarily quite long scenario), so that at the end he ends having about the same amount, either from hex farming or through victory money.
That doesn't solve the "impulse buy" issue though.
Is there a better way?

Dimitris GR
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Preventing purchase *after deployment*?

Post by Dimitris GR » 2023-08-08 18:00, Tuesday

I think there is an option what kind of units a player can buy before battle. During battle i don't know how to stop player buy planes.

none
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Preventing purchase *after deployment*?

Post by none » 2023-08-08 18:25, Tuesday

Thanks, yes, you can create a list of possible purchases (I do it all the time, lest the player gets drowned in options*), but it doesn't help me here, because the player is supposed to buy some units at the start of the scenario. It's only later he shouldn't yield to panic and not buy things he will regret later on. (Yes, yes, he could resell useless units, but I've learned to trust players only as far as I can throw them, and that is not very far... :lol)

* In my E-File, "Germany" is for instance currently 706 different units strong... So, if you have for instance a Russia scenario, you want to hide all the recon seaplanes (for instance), or the night fighters, or the heavy artillery the player should not be able to buy in this campaign, but only get as auxiliary unit for specific scenarios. Can't make them no-buy, because they might be a purchase option in another campaign... Purchase lists are an excellent and natural way to channel what the player will have, and when he will have it: Could be "no in this scenario and "yes" in the next one.