ATOMIC Efile

Discussions about official and unofficial OpenGen Efiles.

Moderator: REDrake

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

ATOMIC Efile

Post by randowe » 2019-09-22 10:18, Sunday

Campaigns:

1939-45 FORWARD, COMRADE!, 44 scenarios, by Major Heinz
1943-45 ALLIED INVASION OF ITALY, 14 scenarios, by randowe
1944-45 FROM D-DAY TO DEUTSCHLAND, 16 scenarios by Major Heinz, randowe

Standalone Scenarios:

1919 BATTLE OF RIGA
1919 BATTLE OF CESIS
1954 BATTLE OF DIEN BIEN PHU

Release Date: to be announced
Last edited by randowe on 2019-12-20 17:57, Friday, edited 8 times in total.

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: ATOMIC Efile

Post by randowe » 2019-09-24 11:12, Tuesday

(I will keep the first post of the thread for a overview about the efile and its campaigns.) So here is the latest news update:

After kicking out the 1960s till 1990s stuff i added some more minor WWII era nations. Like Paraguay and Bolivia for a little Chaco War campaign (in the far away future). Stuff like that.

I started to design a short 3-5 scenario campaign: 1942 FROM EL ALAMEIN TO ALEXANDRIA, a one-map-no-core-campaign.
The Germans have to repell the allied attack at El Alamein und then have to fight their way forward untill Alexandria. The campaign make use of my El Alamain and Alexandria XXL map only. I also decided to make it a no-core campaign. 4 scenarios is not enough to develop a propper core, so the player will get one core unit only: HQ of Afrika Korps

Operation Sealion, nothing new to report here. I think i will put this on hold untill i knew what kind of campaigns i want design. More ore less realistic ones?!? :huh

Then i have already made the planning for my Axis Black Sea campaign. The Player will start in the Danube Delta with the 10. Romanian Infantry-Division. At Odessa the player will command the 21. Romanian Infantry-Division too. Later the 50. German Infantry-Division, the 22. German Panzer-Division and the Slovak Fast-Division will join the player's core. The player will have a small air force too and there will an additional StuG unit.
The scenarios will follow this path: Danube Delta, Odessa, Cherson, Perekop, several Crimea scenarios, Rostow, several Caucasian and Taman scenarios and then a retreat to the east. All maps will be new and share the same look like the already finished maps no. 1444 and 1448.
I will try to creat a realistic campaign, so there will be only very few Panzers like in reality. There will be no prototypes, the player won't be able to buy any units and upgrades are limited. I will also use a variety of base strength for the variety of units.

Major Heinz and me were talking about a new joint camapaign project: A allied campaign from D-Day to Germany. It s just an idea yet and we will see if and how the campaign will work out.

I have problems to focus on just one project, so the overall time is becomming endless... :D

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2019-11-09 20:54, Saturday

Just to give an little update: Standalone Scenarios; Time Frame 1918 - 1959

Despite the recent issues with the roundels, which has miraculously been solved somehow, i am about to finished the first ATOMIC standalone scenario.
There will be a bunch of standalone scenarios for various nations and wars. I think it can be relaxing sometimes to play a scenario with non-core units. You don't have to take care of them and can "just" play.
So the first standalone scenario will be the 1919 Battle of Riga, where two mainly german Freikorps, the Baltische Landeswehr (Baltic Territorial Army) and the Eiserne Division (Iron Divison) are about to capture Rige against an Bolshevik force.
Of course my Efile is mainly a WW2 Efile and i had a little fear when i implemented the earlier years. There was not much space to decrease the values of the units and i feared if it would be possible to have a good game when the standart infantry soft attack value will be just 4. But as far as i have tested, everything will be fine.
There are some little but interesting nations, like the Baltische Landeswehr, the Detachement von Randow, the Kuban People's Republic, Red and White Finland and so on.
There will be mostly short campaigns for the early years and my main goal ist do have the possibility of long campaigns, spanning from 1918 till the 40s or even the 50s. For example, There can be 3 scenarios with a small german core in 1918, at the end of the first WW, then the campaign will continue with the later wars of Germany. I also want to make a campaign about the wars of Finland too. It will start with the Finnish Civil War, then comes the Winter War, the war against the Soviet Union and the Lappland War.
Of course it is possible to have long campaigns, spanning a large number of years, for most of the major countries and when we met here again in 5 years there hopefully will be many of them finished and playable :ihope

For the standalone scenarios i want to have a great variety and want to use as many different nations, battles, wars and years as possible.

Here you can see that the Baltische Landeswehr (blue and white flag) has already reached the outskirts of the city. The Iron Divison is stuck in a fight for a bridge across the Daugava river in the east off the picture.

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2019-12-15 16:11, Sunday

December update:

The plan is to release the Efile when the "From D-Day to Deutschland" campaign is finished. Major Heinz and me are round about halfway through the campaign and i guess it will be finished around february. But it is not urgend of course and we have all the time in the world ;)

Recently i started the last major update - the rework of all planes movement points. The slowest plane in the efile has a sped of 110km/h while others have a speed of 1500km/h or even more. So i just use a simple table i created to assign movement points to the planes.
Most WW2 planes will have around 23-27 movement points, so nearly the same as before.

When the Efile will be released for the first time, there will be 3 campaigns and 3 standalone scenarios (see first post). Maybe i have the time to create a 4th standalone scenario about the Battle of Seoul before the Efile is released. Funnily there is no german campaign yet.

The Efile has grown to a size of more than 10500 units. But the end is in sight. With my upcomming icons to be implemented soon and a emergency reserve of 200 unit spots, the unit part should be finished soon.
There are 99 nations now (see flags in first post). One is still a free spare nation and the 99th nation is Kaiju, a Monster nation, just for fun. Their chief of staff looks like this (If someone is interested in making a King Kong icon or Sharknado... At the moment Kaiju has only two units, Godzilla and an ant... :lol ) :

Germany is the biggest nation with more than 860 units, followed by USA, UK and USSR with more than 600 units each. Japan follows with 500 units.
Of course, most nations are small, just 30 - 80 units. Just to make them playable, use them as opponents or in a standalone scenario.
Some nations will have no unit stock at all, besides a naval and rail transport. These flag-only nations need to borrow units from other nations when a scenario is made.

Duke Falcon
Private
Private

Post by Duke Falcon » 2020-01-23 16:23, Thursday

Let me offer you some graphics for the "monster" nation:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/syzmuusk ... s.zip/file
Some are complete PNG, some are complete BMP while some are still spritesheet in BMP. Decide what to use for Kaiju!

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2020-02-02 13:05, Sunday

February Update :howdy

Both allied campaigns are in a more or less final state. Major Heinz and me have to do just 2 scenarios and the "From D-Day to Deutschland" campaign will be finished. The "Allied Invasion of Italy" campaign is finished and i am 1/3 through final playtest.
Major Heinz will then update his "Forward Comrade" campaign and we will run a final playtest as well. Then the efile will be ready for release.
I have added almost all units i ever wanted and have now around 10800 units in the efile. Once the icon libray is updated, i will add the missing units and the whole unit part should be pretty much be done. Then 2 or 3 years of additional tweaking will follow :lol I mean, an efile is never really finished ;) But that won't stop the release.

That gives me the chance to take a look into the future and make the planning for my next campaign: "Axis Black Sea Campaign".
I will try to built a more realistic campaign... as realistic as possible, within the limits of a video game. There will be no protos and no purchase. Upgrades will be limited and i will use buy lists to limit the upgrades to realistic choices . Overall i want to have a more realistic core composition. Almost all maps will be new, but many maps will be used more than once. I will use real situation maps as scenario intro pictures.
I know many players won't like some (or many) of the features, but i don't care :P :lol

After the first scenario the player can choose if he wants to add a cavalry or mountain division to the core and two different scenarios will follow. That will be the only split and the rest of the campaign will be linear. The campaign path will be 29 scenarios long and overall there are 30 scenarios. One day i had the idea to split the campaign later and send the player either to Stalingrad or on the planned path. But then i would have to find an other campaign title ;)

Here is the planned path:

1...Falciu..................................................1.7.41......Player gets 21. Division

2a..Chernivtsi..........................................................Player gets Mountain Div.
2b..Prut Crossing at Repicini ??.........................4.7.41......Player gets Cavalry Div.

3...Moghilev ??
4...Odessa I...............................................7.8.41
5...Odessa II.(Wrong date)..............................8.8.41
6...........................................................................Player gets both german Div.
7...Nikolaev................................................12.8.41
8...Dnepr I (Crossing at Beryslaw - Kakhovka)........30.8.41
9...Battle of Asow Sea.....................................7.10.41
10..Crimea North..........................................17.10.41
11..Rostov I................................................15.11.41....Player gets Slovak Div.
12..Rostov II (Soviet recapture Rostov)(Winter)......1.12.41
13..Soviet Kertsch-Feodossijaer Operation............26.12.41
14..Crimean Partisans (Winter)........................1.3.42
15..Unternehmen Trappenjagd..........................8.5.42
16..Sevastopol I...........................................7.6.42
17..Rostov III.............................................19.7.42
18..Krasnodar.............................................8.8.42
19..Maikop...............................................9.8.42
20..Kuban / Novorossiysk...............................22.8.42
21..Vladikavkaz I (Campaign turning point).........11.42
22..Vladikavkaz II (Soviet counterattack)............12.42
23..Rostov IV (Winter)................................12.2.43
24..Kuban Bridgehead I.................................6.3.43
25..Kuban Bridgehead II (Axis Evacuation)...........1.10.43
26..Dnepr II.............................................12.11.43
27..Odessa III (Axis Evacuation)......................10.4.44
28..Crimea East (or North)............................12.4.44
29..Sevastopol II (Destruction of Player Army)......7.5.44

And here are the planned units. I will post a picture to keep the format. I think i will add a AD unit to the Romanian 21. Infantry Division and overall there will be more or less 52 core units at the end. The player will receive the Air Force and Army units bit by bit. I also want to stage some unusal units like military police and a armored train as well as ambulance and repair trucks which will work as healer units.

Please note that the names are not necessarily correct yet. I also was too lazy to research the Luftwaffe units yet :lol
Please also note that this campaign is not about a certain historic unit in the first place and a division may not field all divisional units in order to not get a too large core.

von Schweinewitz
Captain
Captain

Post by von Schweinewitz » 2020-02-03 12:56, Monday

10800 units - that's impressive! Looking forward to the release!

And I like your ideas for the Black Sea campaign. I always try to play campaigns with a more or less realistic core OOB so your thoughts knock at Schweini's open doors. :winkgrin

Some questions:

- Can losses be replaced when there's no purchase?
- Will you use attachements? (IMO attachments are fine early in a campaign but tend to overpower units in the long run.)
- No aircraft in the core?

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2020-02-03 17:12, Monday

von Schweinewitz wrote:- Can losses be replaced when there's no purchase?
I don't think so. I have not found a solution yet. I would not know what unit the player will maybe or maybe not loose and in which scenario. What if the player looses an infantry and buys a tank with the money intended for upgrades? Some expensive units maybe can not be replaced at all because i would have to hand out a lot of money. There will be no cap, so... ;)
The briefings will say that a player should upgrade only within class and country and i will build the campaign with that in mind. I really don't care if people do not play by the rules but i don't care for :whine as well :lol

And, how many units should the player be able to buy? I mean, it is possible to limit the purchase of units in the settings (buy units cap), but it is impossible to know how many units a player would loose. The campaign will be planned and all scenarios will be build for a complete core. Also things like: In the recent CC players were selling off their core units to buy the same type with some more exp? That is not possible in reality and will not be possible in the campaign.
I see it more like a role-playing-game were you are tied together with your units no matter what awaits you :lol And you would not play on with a lost core unit.
The focus sould be the realistic OOB and also should be more on the game play itself and not so much on victory types and hunting BVs. For example, that after-scenario-prestige will be the same for every victory type. I never understood why weaker players should be punished by getting less prestige. I mean, would strong players need more prestige than weak players?

On a more general note i can say that this campaign will be also a prototype for me because i want to build most future campaigns like this (realistic OOB) and try to have a more realistic approach with all the rules and settings. But a prototype campaign needs field evaluation and testing under fire first :lol

I already said it at other occasions, i guess, every campaign designer builds the campaigns (with the rules and settings!) he/she would like to play. So there is a lot of variety and that is good :cool
von Schweinewitz wrote:- Will you use attachements? (IMO attachments are fine early in a campaign but tend to overpower units in the long run.)
Yes, there will be attachments. With his after-scenario-prestige the player can buy attachments, overstrength his units or upgrade his units. There will be no prestige handed out during a scenario. Because most player would save it for later anyway... Repairs during a scenario will be done with the help of the healer units.
The enemy will get some attachments as well.
von Schweinewitz wrote:- No aircraft in the core?
There will be aircraft! At the moment i have planned for the player to get 7 core planes. Do you see the picture i posted with the list of core units? At the bottom you can see that there are 4 Romanian and 3 German planes.

von Schweinewitz
Captain
Captain

Post by von Schweinewitz » 2020-02-03 19:27, Monday

randowe wrote:
2020-02-03 17:12, Monday
Do you see the picture i posted with the list of core units? At the bottom you can see that there are 4 Romanian and 3 German planes.
Damn it! Missed completely! That's me shitposting at "work" ... :beatup
The focus sould be the realistic OOB and also should be more on the game play itself and not so much on victory types and hunting BVs
A very likeable approach. I don't care much for so many rules either (except for my own "Hausregeln"), I hate cap and low prestige etc., and therefore cheat like hell if I'm in the mood (one reason I never do CCs); I'm just having fun with the game play and the historical setting.
I see it more like a role-playing-game were you are tied together with your units no matter what awaits you :lol And you would not play on with a lost core unit.

This is so very true ... :winkgrin

I'll stay tuned.

Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Aleksandr » 2020-02-04 07:16, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2019-09-24 11:12, Tuesday
I started to design a short 3-5 scenario campaign: 1942 FROM EL ALAMEIN TO ALEXANDRIA, a one-map-no-core-campaign.
The Germans have to repell the allied attack at El Alamein und then have to fight their way forward untill Alexandria. The campaign make use of my El Alamain and Alexandria XXL map only. I also decided to make it a no-core campaign. 4 scenarios is not enough to develop a propper core, so the player will get one core unit only: HQ of Afrika Korps
Interesting design! Is this a great scale campaign, or rather a one-winter-evening stuff?
randowe wrote:
I have problems to focus on just one project, so the overall time is becomming endless... :D
:lol

randowe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by randowe » 2020-02-04 16:27, Tuesday

Aleksandr wrote:
2020-02-04 07:16, Tuesday
randowe wrote:
Interesting design! Is this a great scale campaign, or rather a one-winter-evening stuff?
Well, there are around 240 units in the first scenario (one division has around 8 to 10 units (a scale i like) :cool ), so i think it will take some time. As i said there will be just one XXL map and i will try to "connect" the scenarios as best as i can. Every scenario should start were the previous scenario ended. There are 4 scenarios planned. The first will be the allied attack at the 2nd Battle of El Alamain. This time the Axis will be able to hold the line...well it depends on the player :lol
The second scenario will be an Axis attack on El Alamein. The 3rd scenario will see the German and Italian forces advance through the desert and the 4th and final scenario will be an large scale attack on Alexandria and the surrounding area. But i have only the first scenaro ready yet...

This campaign will also be kind of a "protoype" for one-map-campaigns which should simulate ongoing operations with "connected" consecutive scenarios. It is an idea i had and i want to test it :yes

There will be exclusive standalone scenarios which are not part of any campaign for winter evenings ;) Two are finished, the 1919 Battle of Riga and the 1954 Battle of Dien Bien Phu. I hope to finish two more standalone scenarios before the release of the efile, the 1919 Battle of Cesis and the fictive 1959 Blue vs. Red, a Warsaw Pact large scale attack on middle Germany. Player will take command of the Nato forces and has to repell the enemy attack and launch an counter attack. This scenario will make use of my latest "Harz" map.

Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Aleksandr » 2020-02-04 19:15, Tuesday

Wow, you'Re an adventurous man! I wish you good luck with your plans, it seems like you'll have a lot of work this year!
I really like your new map, I plan to use it in (near?) future. ;)