OPENAK Efile

Discussions about official and unofficial OpenGen Efiles.

Moderator: REDrake

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

OPENAK Efile

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2019-10-29 18:44, Tuesday

Csaba, Would you mind to re-add the nations to the OPEN_AK e-file please. The Condor Legion campaign uses some of them (Ireland for the Irish brigade, Weimar republic, Communist Poland, Italian Republic and communist Bulgaria for the International Brigades). Thanks.

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Re: "OPENAK: removed the unused nations"

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-29 19:06, Tuesday

Wonderdoctor wrote:
2019-10-29 18:44, Tuesday
Csaba, Would you mind to re-add the nations to the OPEN_AK e-file please. The Condor Legion campaign uses some of them (Ireland for the Irish brigade, Weimar republic, Communist Poland, Italian Republic and communist Bulgaria for the International Brigades). Thanks.
there were no units in the removed nations, they had no flags, medals, etc. if there is an updated openak with existing units and opendat files, i will gladly update the current version in the repo, which is now 0.331 (2017-01-21). during the last 2.5 years, nobody sent me a newer openak

edit: i've checked the current version of the condor legion campaign (5 scenarios), and there is no missing nations or units (highest used ecode is 6107 (basque 75mm 75/28 arty), so it's playable :phew
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Re: "OPENAK: removed the unused nations"

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2019-10-29 20:49, Tuesday

there were no units in the removed nations
That is correct. I used all nations units.
they had no flags, medals, etc.
I think I have these files. Will send you what I have.

Edit: Which is a good thing, because they are actually needed to play Condor Legion with the right flags etc showing and not available in the download now.
i've checked the current version of the condor legion campaign (5 scenarios), and there is no missing nations or units (highest used ecode is 6107 (basque 75mm 75/28 arty), so it's playable :phew

Correct. Scenarios can have units of nations not defined as nations in the scenario. That is the case in Condor Legion. Those units are all-nations units, so available in the standard file.

whereis
Captain
Captain

Re: OPENAK Efile

Post by whereis » 2020-08-31 21:35, Monday

Hi there!

I've been sticking with OpenGen DD until now, when I fired up the regular .exe.

I just played some good old OpenAK and the leader icons (next to the unit strength on the map) are gone!

Using the latest official .exe, the downloads from 2020-06-06.

Anyone else have the same problem or have I messed up the settings?

BTW is von Adler still around on the forum?
Team Leader of Team Totalitär (CCC4)

Team Leader of Team Viking - Battles in the North (CCC5)

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2020-08-31 22:07, Monday

to answer last question only - as i used the file for some works myself - no i haven't seen him, been around since last year myself.... i met Pzmaniac (traditional user of efile) there but even him didn't use it anymore. since then he's also MIA, but alive i think...

can't help with graphical problems I used and still have separate file folder BUT heavily modified, with own paintings and stuff i liked, including leader roundels etc... all working to me, but with own graphics as said. must admit I do not use it much and stopped all concersions works....... because I'm getting old? :) good look finding answers and needed stuff

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2020-08-31 22:54, Monday

AFAIK Adler has not registered on this forum yet. But he can be reached for e-file related matters.

My best guess is that the problem is related to a missing roundel file, but Luis and/or Csaba should be able to tell you better what could be causing this.

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-09-01 00:05, Tuesday

whereis wrote:
2020-08-31 21:35, Monday
I just played some good old OpenAK and the leader icons (next to the unit strength on the map) are gone!

Using the latest official .exe, the downloads from 2020-06-06.
i can confirm this, and it's clearly a bug, happening with the latest test exe too

the problem is the number of nations are expanded in openak up to 144, but somehow the roundel fitting for that much nations is not supported in opengen. i made a temporal reduced roundel file with only 100 nations, it can be used till Luis fixes this glitch, just rename it to roundel.png and please put into the opendat subfolder of the efile_openak folder

i'm sending the bug report and related files to Luis

p.s. i hope eventually more veteran players and designers like Adler, pzm, etc. will register here, but idk what would be the most effective way to conviene them :dunno
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2020-09-01 15:57, Tuesday

Thank you Csaba :bow

The problem is because the roundel.png file for EFILE_OPENAK is 8640 pixels width, and probably, your video card is not able to create a surface with more than 8192 pixels.

It is fixed now. Please download the update OGX version 0.93.4.33 from my site.

See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=113&p=5131#p5131

:howdy
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

whereis
Captain
Captain

Post by whereis » 2020-09-02 17:25, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2020-09-01 15:57, Tuesday
It is fixed now. Please download the update OGX version 0.93.4.33 from my site.

See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=113&p=5131#p513
Quickly expedited as always, Luis! :clap
lvjtn wrote:
2020-09-01 00:05, Tuesday

p.s. i hope eventually more veteran players and designers like Adler, pzm, etc. will register here, but idk what would be the most effective way to conviene them :dunno
At this point in time I'd say even guys like us have become veterans... ;)

I think I registered at JP's in 2007 or something like that.

I hope my fellow swedes join us in this new forum. I hope FOFY gets openized soon... :P
Team Leader of Team Totalitär (CCC4)

Team Leader of Team Viking - Battles in the North (CCC5)

Golothin
Major General
Major General

Post by Golothin » 2020-11-06 13:13, Friday

Hi Jurgen, I took the liberty of converting your Condor mini-campaign and adding it to LXF. :howdy

Developer of the PG2 2.x patches
Owner of the LXF Equipment File
Designer of 15 campaigns
Designer of - after all - 10 maps >I only say MAP number 37 :)<
Designer of over 2000 icons

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2020-11-06 14:19, Friday

Golothin wrote:
2020-11-06 13:13, Friday
Hi Jurgen, I took the liberty of converting your Condor mini-campaign and adding it to LXF. :howdy
You know that you can do that any single day. Thank you!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-28 09:53, Monday

:howdy Again about national names...
As you know, AK and some other E-files use national names which add a certain flavour to the game. Some of these names are familiar and understandable others are not but this problem can be solved in OG using EQUIP.TXT2 (description in English). However there is another problem. Some combinations of the latin letters are pronounced completely differently in the national and English language. As a result, many players will not be able to pronounce some national names correctly if even they understand what these names mean! The simple example is Polish 'piechota'. If you don't know how to pronounce it, you will pronounce 'ch' wrongly as in 'chips' word! :) To pronounce it more or less correctly you have to write 'piekhota'. Maybe we should use some adapted spelling of national names (as in example above) everyone to be able pronounce them correctly! What do you think? :huh
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2020-12-28 10:33, Monday

What do you think?
I am ok with how it is now (some historic feel & understand what most units are about), but obviously would not object an efile maker taking a more phonetic approach to the names.

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2020-12-28 13:06, Monday

certainly, one of more irritating things to me, not in game/s but generally... but indeed we are maybe extraordinary in that sense, having specific letters few other have ; no idea how important and practical for game but surely true statement - however one could never reproduce our "đ and ć" no matter how hard he/she tries with un-tribal letters )

since mentioned subject, one thing in "national names" files is that they are often "de jure" true but "de facto" not so - I'll not repeat as once i mentioned "pontoniri" as term used here since XIX c, but surely not national name as such etc. etc.... in any way, i commented to say you "got it true" but not so practical if one is to go into every detail - which you might or might not know if you know details of "Serbo-Croat" specifics, often we use it to have fun with strangers, including your compatriots which is fun as language is generally harder sounding but specific letters softer :) It's true as you put it, but to me less big issue than chance to use some foreign words our armies through history used to make things simplier for efile makers and all :yes

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-12-28 15:54, Monday

I agree with Wonderdoctor.

The names are more for a more historic feeling but should not be taken to serious in my opinion. Some names are maybe more or less wrong, but that's not an big issue. For example in german we use some letters that most other languages do not use and some people can not easily write them. Of course you can copy/paste, but... how often you want to do it...
So when somebody writes "Gerat" instead of "Gerät", i am perfectly fine.

Or what the hell is the difference between pekhota and strelkovy? :lol Is it the same type of infantry or is there a difference?

It's not only the unit names, but also city names in maps for example. In the game i can not display some letters and get some strange signs like ³ or ² or something like that. Of course maybe i can install some signs sets or other fonts or whatever, but what would random players do?

It also happens that when you translate languages into other languages the result may differ. For example, i see it always when russian is translated into english and german, there is a difference in the letters in the result (Most importantly V versus W).
EDIT: or arabic with "el" versus "al".

For many weeks i am thinking about the polish letter ł now and if i can replace it with a simple l. I know ł sounds completely different, but i can not disply it properly and i am a OG "freak"... Would random players install new letter sets just for a game?
I think no, and that we should not take things to serious. I mean, we try our best, but it is okay for me if a name is wrong or a letter is substituted or we don't know how to pronounce something properly :2cents

(Sorry for off-topic not OpenAK related...but i am thinking about all of this for a long time now and it is good to finaly be able to write it down :phew )
Image Slava Ukraini!

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2020-12-28 17:19, Monday

For many weeks i am thinking about the polish letter ł now and if i can replace it with a simple l. I know ł sounds completely different, but i can not disply it properly and i am a OG "freak"... Would random players install new letter sets just for a game?
I am tempted to let my day job intervene here. In the payments (move money between bank accounts) business, the EPC guidelines on character replacement say:

Ł LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH STROKE U+0141 L U+004C none PL
ł LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH STROKE U+0142 l U+006C none PL

ł gets replaced by l in cross=border trafic.

https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/ ... ubset-best

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-12-28 19:50, Monday

Wonderdoctor wrote:
2020-12-28 17:19, Monday
I am tempted to let my day job intervene here. In the payments (move money between bank accounts) business, the EPC guidelines on character replacement say:

Ł LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH STROKE U+0141 L U+004C none PL
ł LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH STROKE U+0142 l U+006C none PL

ł gets replaced by l in cross=border trafic.

https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/ ... ubset-best
Thanks :howdy I'll do so. Also with other letters like Å or ñ...

(Maybe it's better to split the discussion starting with Leon's post?)
Image Slava Ukraini!

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2020-12-28 22:34, Monday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-12-28 09:53, Monday
The simple example is Polish 'piechota'. If you don't know how to pronounce it, you will pronounce 'ch' wrongly as in 'chips' word! :) To pronounce it more or less correctly you have to write 'piekhota'. Maybe we should use some adapted spelling of national names (as in example above) everyone to be able pronounce them correctly! What do you think? :huh
That's one of those that left me almost invariably laughing in the old days when I had the will.
You see, if I take the "e" out and pronounce the ch in the Portuguese fashion I get one of the names by which the most prominent male organ is commonly known over here...

PS - Actually its a diminutive form, which only adds to it...

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-12-29 09:18, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2020-12-28 15:54, Monday
It's not only the unit names, but also city names in maps
Yes, for example we have to write 'Bzheziny' instead of polish 'Brzeziny' if we want to adapt this to the English ear but what will say the Poles! :)
randowe wrote:
2020-12-28 15:54, Monday
For many weeks i am thinking about the polish letter ł now and if i can replace it with a simple l. I know ł sounds completely different, but i can not disply it properly and i am a OG "freak"...
I would say that polish ł is simple l. So polish 'złoty' can be written as 'zloty'. Polish 'l' softens the next sound. An example: polish 'lato' (summer) can be written as 'lyato'... ;)
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!