Forum design

Important news and announcements and general discussions about the forum services, promotions, spam reports.
Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Re: Forum design

Post by Major Heinz » 2019-11-14 18:26, Thursday

:cool Thanks!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-04-05 22:13, Sunday

I once again ask to remove me as a moderator of the german forum please. Thanks in advance :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Post by lvjtn » 2020-04-07 19:52, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2020-04-05 22:13, Sunday
I once again ask to remove me as a moderator of the german forum please.
done! would you check it please? (e.g. can you edit/soft delete somebody else's post?)
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-02-06 18:20, Saturday

:howdy

Do you guys think a "After Action Report" subforum would be a good idea?

Campaign runs that are no CC and no test could be posted in the AAR subforum because at the moment we can only post them in the "designers' corner" or OG forum. But maybe it is better to keep the OG forum for development related topics and the designer's corner for design and testplay topics?
Or we could go further could post ALL AARs that are no CC in a potential AAR forum :dunno
Image Slava Ukraini!

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2021-02-06 23:02, Saturday

The Designers'Corner isn't exactly super busy, so I am ok with keeping those AARs there if they are related to testing campaigns.

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2021-02-07 17:58, Sunday

i second Jurgen's opinion

if there will be fllod of aars, we can create a new subforum for them, of course
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2021-02-07 18:40, Sunday

:salute Rodger that :howdy
Image Slava Ukraini!

HappyPulgasari
Private
Private

Post by HappyPulgasari » 2022-08-02 18:26, Tuesday

Hi. Thank yo for this project.
Unfortunatelly, Search is not working at this forum. I can't find anything, it just shows a blank page. If you want i may provide a more detailed bug report.

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-08-02 18:32, Tuesday

:welcome

Search does work, but it's disabled until you become a member.
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

HappyPulgasari
Private
Private

Post by HappyPulgasari » 2022-08-03 09:41, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2022-08-02 18:32, Tuesday
Search does work, but it's disabled until you become a member.
Thank you for answer! :winkgrin
I'm sorry, but i have no idea how to become a member. Can't find a topic about it.

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2022-08-08 15:35, Monday

lvjtn wrote:
2019-11-04 00:31, Monday
HexCode wrote:
2019-11-04 00:12, Monday
So, in my books, there's no PG1 / PGF forum; just PGF. Compared to the unwieldy mess that that other PG / AG forum was, the present forum is a breath of fresh air.
you know, it's like the opengen subforum: it's not a "pg2 + opengen" forum, but pg2 is the ancestor of opengen, and it's impossible to completely separate them, so there will be always posts and threads about pg2 issues in opengen subforum, same for pg1 vs. pgf

as you see, while i refused the idea of merging anything, i think we should show some tolerance for not 100% on-topic threads or posts. if or when there will be enough users, posts, threads about pg1, then we create a dedicated subforum for it
I wasn't aware of all - not just this post - said here about this subject when Jeff Crouch and I talked about how it would be handy to have a forum space going, at the time he returned to PGX coding. (Beginning of 21? maybe).
My first suggestion, and Jeff's first impulse was: here.
But I also pointed out to Jeff that the history of PGX's corner back at JP's tells me that there is no substitute for having your own "house".
The same history that tells me also I would never participate on a PGX forum here that would be in any way merged to a PGF forum.
So, good thing I had basic experience with ProBoards Forums and took the decision to open the current PGX "house" there.
In the back of my mind I remained worried that someone might have felt offended somehow, for PGX re opening elsewhere, but reading about this sub forum subject here it seems it was a silly worry.
This way no one gets in each others way, each one retains administrative and disciplinary control, something that would have been very useful back at JP's.
And after all, having your own house doesn't mean you stop visiting old friends...

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-08-08 17:52, Monday

Bombast the Blue wrote:
2022-08-08 15:35, Monday
I wasn't aware of all - not just this post - said here about this subject when Jeff Crouch and I talked about how it would be handy to have a forum space going, at the time he returned to PGX coding.
[...]
And after all, having your own house doesn't mean you stop visiting old friends...
It's funny that you bring this up, since i was thinking about this situation for a long time. And i came to the opposite result.
It would have been better to have dedicated PG1 and PG2 forums as well as a PGX forum in this place. And a forum for other games. Because i think, everybody here is playing other games as well and i feel the pub is not the right place to discuss them.
We would also have needed a dedicated forum for OG after action reports, but that is an other story :lol
Like Csaba said, topics about PG1 and PG2 will be raised anyway and why not have a dedicated forums for these games. And why not have PGX here as well?
Seperation is not what this tiny community needs. More people would gather in the same forum and if links are posted somewhere they would point to the same forum, increasing visibility. Maybe synergy effects would also come into play.

But i guess the admins wanted a slim forum and i understand that it can be benefitical but like i said, it would have been better to have everything in one place instead of seperation. Now it's too late and this whole community has shrinked even more.

That's just my :2cents
Image Slava Ukraini!

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2022-08-09 14:00, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2022-08-08 17:52, Monday
And why not have PGX here as well?
Seperation is not what this tiny community needs. More people would gather in the same forum and if links are posted somewhere they would point to the same forum, increasing visibility. Maybe synergy effects would also come into play.

But i guess the admins wanted a slim forum and i understand that it can be benefitical but like i said, it would have been better to have everything in one place instead of seperation. Now it's too late and this whole community has shrinked even more.
Apart from synergy, surely not my case for budgetary reasons, but in the case of Jeff I give it 99% chance he would have been willing to share some of the "financial" burden. But as it is now, he's using a free of charge forum. Well, it's supported by giving the host the right to insert a pair of ad banners.
Surely it is a lighter forum product compared to this one but hey, it has only 11 members, two of'em are myself, and half never posted, it more than meets the needs.

I agree, in principle, with what you're saying about separation and synergy, but sometimes real life gets you at a bend.
Sometimes you receive so much "stoning", and over the years, from a given place that either you find yourself a suit of armour or you decide stop going there.
This second option was what I decided for, finally, after what happened last time I posted at PGF's place.
Lots of respect to Radoye but, honestly, the PGF community is a toxic place for me ever since a zillion eras ago Mr. Rudankort invited me out of his topic without me ever understanding exactly why and almost in the very beginning of my posting there.
Truth be said, nowadays I consider a huge error of mine having continued my participation there after that. No matter how good my intentions were it was the man's topic and he was doing something very important to him, although how important we only understood later. I could have stopped posting there and just check the threads for news. That would have been enough to cover the interest I had in seeing what would come out of it. Ultimately, judging from the end result, maybe Rudankort just sensed PGF wasn't going to be what I was looking forward to see and was more suggesting I'd go look for another thing and less being "territorial" about PGF. That episode wasn't even a conversation about PGF...

This and more that went on over the years coming from the same quadrant meant that if I was to approach OG decision makers about re opening PGX here I would have to start with a demand for keeping PGX very well clear of PGF, including full disciplinary powers, which weighed heavily in my decision to go solo. Not only I don't want to demand anything here, but also the question with full disciplinary powers would probably be problematic or even impossible to attend to.

Back to forums proper, there are ways of promoting other forums in our own forum.
Like that post at PGX's reception/read only area pointing and summarizing what can be found here, including PGF regardless of all.
I believe clickable banners are more classic and to the point but I don't imagine how those are done and if that forum supports them at all.
The post on PGX the OG community graciously allows me to keep at the pub is already a motive for my thanks.
Obviously, with PGX deciding to go solo there is no justification for a "proper" PGX slot here. Not at this moment under present circumstances.

If at all avoidable why risk having again a PGX forum soiled with personal insult of a fairly low level?
Or getting unstickied by someone with zero legitimacy to mess with PGX affairs with the lame excuse that PGX developer isn't around anymore?
Because precisely of synergy, you never ever unsticky a thread containing the link to (another) playable game / mod unless you aren't thinking or you deliberately want to "kill" that game and the memory it ever existed...,
And believe me Randowe, the character who did that to PGX back at JP's is everything but stupid... no, he's a true chess master...

Bottom line, if anyone ever wondered, PGX forum going solo had zero to do with any OG matter.
To go as far as I want to be specific, it's 99% about the behaviour of a single individual and 1% history of my relationship with PGF matters.

HexCode
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by HexCode » 2022-08-10 05:50, Wednesday

Facts

1) Over at JP's, other than their "Red Administrators", the only other member who was technically empowered to "unpin" topics in the PG / AG forum was its one and only Moderator. This individual has always been the Moderator of that forum up until JP's demise. He very seldom posted anything re: the PG1 "World".

2) When JP's was nearing giving up the ghost, only a few hobbyists bothered to archive content which they deemed worth preserving. JP's "Red Administrators" had absolutely nothing to do with these conscientious efforts...

3) Whether "pinned" or "unpinned", all topics across all forums simultaneously disappeared over at JP's.

4) A Hobby at Large is akin to a party taking place inside a black hole. The only empirical evidence which could attest to the actual existence of any Hobby (not necessarily at Large) is its "public" manifestations (e.g., downloadable content, online documentation, forum posts and certain emails).

5) THIS Web site is entitled "Open General Forums". To this extent, the hosting (or not) of forums, even topics, focusing on (war)games other than OG is strictly a matter for THIS Web site's 3 "Red Administrators" to specifically decide or, perhaps, just passively tolerate. They collectively (?) own THIS private Web site and, hence, can do anything they please with it. :bonk