PeG new maps

People’s General Strategies, Tactics, Stats, Campaigns, Conversions, Tips.

Moderator: Micha

homosovietus
Private
Private

PeG new maps

Post by homosovietus » 2022-04-03 14:11, Sunday

Hi there,

I have two questions about new maps for PeG

1) Is there any map editor that will allow to make new maps for PeG with original style?

2) Is there any way to make maps using photos made by satelite? I used to play wargame series and maps used in that game during gameplay looks similar to such satelite photos

thanks for answer

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: PeG new maps

Post by Micha » 2022-04-03 14:24, Sunday

Hello, an editor for the original mapstyle does not exist, this maps are handmade. Making maps via satellite maps is possible.
You must make a screenshot of the googlemap and create a mapfile. Screenshut must be a 24 bit bmp file maximum size 1910x1910.
You need the peg maptool from luis website.. :howdy
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-04-03 14:33, Sunday

You can work on jpg picture maps like on any other jpg with any graphics editor like Photoshop, Gimp (or even MS Paint).
At PG2/OG mapfinder there are many maps that mix the graphics of PeG and PG2. They are all handmade by many designers.

Keep in mind that taking copyrighted satellite images from a billion dollar company is maybe not the best idea, whereas SSI stuff is mostly considered abandonware i guess :dunno
Image Slava Ukraini!

homosovietus
Private
Private

Post by homosovietus » 2022-04-03 15:00, Sunday

Micha wrote:
2022-04-03 14:24, Sunday
Hi Micha,
Is there any manual for this ? or any guide?

homosovietus
Private
Private

Post by homosovietus » 2022-04-03 15:06, Sunday

randowe wrote:
2022-04-03 14:33, Sunday
You can work on jpg picture maps like on any other jpg with any graphics editor like Photoshop, Gimp (or even MS Paint).
At PG2/OG mapfinder there are many maps that mix the graphics of PeG and PG2. They are all handmade by many designers.

Keep in mind that taking copyrighted satellite images from a billion dollar company is maybe not the best idea, whereas SSI stuff is mostly considered abandonware i guess :dunno
Hi,
How to do this bu using gimp and other softwares? For instance in Panzer Corps there is build in map editor that allows to use any picture, put hexes on it and mark each hex with clear terrain, mountains, rivers etc... And what to do here?

And regarding copyright - personally I don't afraid this - I'm not gonna make any money on it and from google perspective PeG issues are not a big fish

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2022-04-03 16:53, Sunday

For games like Panzer Corps (or civilization III comes to my mind because i played it recently) you have a pool of predefined tiles that can be put together in a new way to create a new map.

PeG, PG2 use picture maps, and every single picture is a original.
Like the difference between a mosaic using predefined parts and a original painting.

Now you can cut out graphics of exisiting PeG/PG2/OG maps and put them together in a new way to create a new map. That can be large parts or small parts like a single house. This is the way these maps are made with a programm like Photoshop or Gimp.

For example i will show you one of my most recent maps from January, a Krasnodar region map: http://mapfinder.gilestiel.eu/images/real/1564.jpg
Many parts of the swamps in the north or the snowy mountains have been cut out from SSI PeG maps, while other parts come from PG2 maps.
There are more than 1500 maps at mapfinder and many of them use parts of other maps.

sympatyk has put together a thread about map making where you will find some information on how to make maps using Gimp: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=437
Image Slava Ukraini!

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Micha » 2022-04-03 18:16, Sunday

homosovietus wrote:
2022-04-03 15:00, Sunday
Micha wrote:
2022-04-03 14:24, Sunday
Hi Micha,
Is there any manual for this ? or any guide?
http://luis-guzman.com/docs/peg_maptool_readme.htm
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !