Help!

People’s General Strategies, Tactics, Stats, Campaigns, Conversions, Tips.

Moderator: Micha

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Help!

Post by Duke Falcon » 2022-07-11 07:57, Monday

OK

So, how can I extract the availabilty dates from the PeG equipment file?
Converted it to OG but during the conversion all dates were set back to 1900. While I reset it globally (since every date data lost during conversion) to 2015 some units appear later. Check one-by-one would be crazy so I am in need of a quicker and more elegant solution IF such is exists...

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Help!

Post by Micha » 2022-07-11 20:27, Monday

Hello my friend, sorry i have no clue. CONVERTING THINGS TO OG from peg i never did before. :dunno
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-07-12 08:27, Tuesday

Duke Falcon wrote:
2022-07-11 07:57, Monday
OK

Converted it to OG but during the conversion all dates were set back to 1900. While I reset it globally (since every date data lost during conversion) to 2015 some units appear later. Check one-by-one would be crazy so I am in need of a quicker and more elegant solution IF such is exists...

:howdy

Dates in OG should match those from Peg as far as you set the base year to 2000 (or whatever you prefer).
Can do easily by adding the string BYEAR2000 to the first line of EQUIP.txt

For example Kaiser efile, set the base year to 1840 by using BYEAR1840

Either Peg, PG2 or OG stores only a byte (0..255) in date-fields, to set dates adding each item's date-field to the base year defined (1900 for PG2/OG).
Hope that help you to fix the issue.
:ihope
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Micha » 2022-07-13 08:23, Wednesday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2022-07-12 08:27, Tuesday
Duke Falcon wrote:
OK

Dates in OG should match those from Peg as far as you set the base year to 2000 (or whatever you prefer).

Either Peg, PG2 or OG stores only a byte (0..255) in date-fields, to set dates adding each item's date-field to the base year defined (1900 for PG2/OG).
Hello Luis, thanks for help and glad to see you here.
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2022-07-17 16:33, Sunday

LuisGuzman wrote:
2022-07-12 08:27, Tuesday
Duke Falcon wrote:
OK

Ooooow, I am such a fool! How could I forgot BYEAR?!
My bad... But since you mentioned also bytes I may could use them as well to regain some "lost data". If it works, fine, if not, well, try something else. The worst option is to copy availability dates manually one-by-one from the PeG equipment.

Now wonder if I could simply convert the campaigns? OG has the advantage that not needs separate scenarios for campaign and stand alone scenarios, both could have the same scenarion balanced for both modes (deploy hexes! :) )

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2022-08-08 16:21, Monday

Dates fixed.
Next big black spot would be the maps. I have no clue currently how to convert them into mapx format...

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Micha » 2022-08-08 20:38, Monday

Duke Falcon wrote:
2022-08-08 16:21, Monday
Dates fixed.
Next big black spot would be the maps. I have no clue currently how to convert them into mapx format...
Hello old friend, i"m sure to 99 percent convert them to map x is impossible. :dunno
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2022-08-08 21:47, Monday

How to convert map image from s16 to jpg?
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=437&p=14851#p14851

LuisGuzman
General, Special Forces
General, Special Forces

Post by LuisGuzman » 2022-08-11 12:54, Thursday

Duke Falcon wrote:
2022-08-08 16:21, Monday
Dates fixed.
May I ask why do you want/need the .mapx files ?

OG doesn't use the .mapx files except for importing data when creating/editing map data, otherwise all map info is included in the .xscn file
So if you have used OpenSuite to import any Peg scenario the map data is already embedded and the 3 additional terrain types that Peg has should be changed to swamp terrain.
Anyway if you want the .mapx files on disk you can load the scenario and export the .mapx file
  Visit my website to get my latest tools.
* Click Open General banner to get more info about the game

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Micha » 2022-08-12 14:21, Friday

Thanks for help, great to hear mapexort from peg to og is possible. :banana :howdy
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2022-08-30 06:51, Tuesday

First of all:
Thanks for the answers and help everyone!

Luckily enough I kept the bmp versions of ModWar maps so I easily converted them to jpg. Were strange not to use and have mapx files but the converted scenarios really brought their terrain datas just the map pictures needed to re-choose...
Converting scenarios were surprisingly easy but touch up and fix equipment changes consumed time. However the first campaign (Barbarossa 2020) successfully converted along with all necessary scenarios (13). I set AI to 2.00 so the AI may play harder than it did in PeG.
Next, because their order in the scenario folder, would be the Brexit-war. Equipment however a great mess because lots of holes created when removed unnecessary elements (mechanised\transported versions of inf and towed arty because OG properly use ground transports). I would fill those holes later with new units (ukraine, polish units mostly but elite version of russian infantries would also appear thx for Homo sovietus who asked me to made necessary icon-bases for those)...
I, since have no clue how OG use them compared to PeG, forfeit "air missions" for aerial units. This also means lots of available places for possible new units. I think the planned Sino-indian war would make for OG entirely (China and India duking for water sources in the Himalaya), however it is a matter of the future (maybe 2023?)...

Duke Falcon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Duke Falcon » 2022-09-04 06:06, Sunday

Today I tried the conversion with the OG.exe to play test a bit...
Error with the units' loading occured:

GER30 not found, neither external nor in DatFile.dat

Of course there IS an openicons.dat but it uses the s16 files the conversion brought from the modwar.dat.
So, either OG not supports s16 anymore (what is sad because it not offers - or I not found - any direct s16\shp to png conversion) or in some cases the 6-letter icon names cause trouble (PeG used icons like BRIT16 without trouble, not sure OG could handle them properly albeit the Suite use and load everything without troubles).