New Scenario - Kanev 2022

People’s General Strategies, Tactics, Stats, Campaigns, Conversions, Tips.

Moderator: Micha

min
Private
Private

New Scenario - Kanev 2022

Post by min » 2022-08-04 21:15, Thursday

EDIT: I have updated the scenario and created a package of Ukraine 2022 scenarios. Kanev is now one scenario in the package. The package can be downloaded from this link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajh_jBshoZo9fcM1DoQ ... k?e=FcJUdV
If you downloaded the original file, please delete it and replace with the package. Please read the installation instructions of the package.

The thread about the scenario package is here:
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=821

I may be a new user on this forum, but I actually played People's General when it was first published in 1998. I have not touched the game in years, but the news of the war triggered my nostalgia for this beloved game. I therefore fired the game back up and created a scenario based on the war.

I have no idea who still plays People's General anymore, and I am not sure there is a centralized place to share scenario files for the game anymore. I therefore placed the scenario on Microsoft OneDrive, which you can download from here.

[LINK DELETED]

Please give the scenario a try and reply with your thoughts and suggestions! It is designed for the stock game and it will run with PeG010.exe for those who downloaded the game package from https://peoplesgeneral.de/

This scenario is based on the Kanev scenario from Panzer General II. Out of nostalgia, I did not update any of the spelling from the original scenario, even though it may now be more proper to refer to "Kanev" as "Kaniv" and so forth. To fit with the setting of the original, this scenario assumes that the Russians have completed operations in the Donbass, captured Kharkov/Kharkiv and Poltava, and will press for a second attempt on Kiev/Kyiv via Kanev/Kaniv. As in the original scenario, they will try to cross the Dnepr/Dnipro at Kanev/Kaniv. I did not even change the date of the original scenario, September 23. I simply moved the year from 1943 to 2022, even though it will require an improbable and cataclysmic Ukrainian collapse for the Russians to reach Kanev/Kaniv by September 23.

Again, out of nostalgia, I used the original stock equipment file. Still, to reduce confusion with the flags for all the equipment from different countries, to exclude some equipment that turned out to be fantasy, as well as to update the names of the equipment, I created an optional equipment file. Because the optional equipment file retains all of the original equipment values, the scenario will play the same way whether with the stock equipment file or with the optional equipment file.

Please look at the included readme file for more notes. Please also post your comments in this thread. I am happy to make revisions to the scenario and will consider making more scenarios for Ukraine 2022. Even though the events covered by the scenario are obviously tragic, I hope you will get as much enjoyment playing the scenario as I did in creating it.
Last edited by min on 2022-08-07 05:58, Sunday, edited 2 times in total.

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: New Scenario - Kanev 2022

Post by Micha » 2022-08-05 09:38, Friday

Hello and wellcome my friend.
Nice to see you here, sometimes i think i"m the last active player, good to see there are some more from time to time.
Other player and me did a lot of scenarios during the last years as you can see on the peg page. But now i have to take care for the 2 dogs of my children and the 2 big dogs of the nabour which takes all my free time and so its no more time for creating. But i play every day in the morning 30 to 60 minutes.
But if you want to create scenarios i will help as my time will make possible.

First at all, for war between ukraine and and russia you should use peg cold war from my website, there is an e file made specially for this conflict.
Not every weapon you will find there which is used in this war but more updated as in the original peg.
you have to use exe 2001 after download peg cw and install it.

But you can also use the original peg, no problem.
As fast as i have time i will test your scenario and will give answer. But you will not find manny players here anymore.The game is old and most players find
"better games"; whatever this should mean. :huh
Micha
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Micha » 2022-08-05 10:10, Friday

Hello my friend,
had a look on the scenario and its great work.
Some ideas. You should have a look on my website and download Peg modern war of Duke Falcon, thats the newest e file for modern war
and the the best for your scenarios, ukraine should be included.
If you should decide to use the original peg please you the asian e file, it includes bunkers, obscacles, mines, modern airlanes and much more, but you decide.
If you sure which e file you will use we should do and spezial installer, called ukrainian war 2022, i will update it from time to time with your scenarios. :howdy
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Micha » 2022-08-05 10:24, Friday

The first 3 rounds of the Kanev scenario you can watch here.
A big, big Thank you to our new designer. :banana :clap :howdy :bow

https://youtu.be/dMJKp8KoJCU
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

min
Private
Private

Post by min » 2022-08-05 16:38, Friday

Micha,

Thank you so much for your replies! The big reason why I did not use a newer and more granular equipment file was because the game was fundamentally built on Panzer General II's treatment of equipment procurement and use. Both games assumes that each unit can neatly be assumed to all operate the same equipment across the unit and that each equipment upgrade is some sort of quantum leap. The player is supposed to upgrade the units across campaigns, and seeing jumps in the capability of the units after each upgrade is part of the enjoyment.

That works relatively well for World War II. Units received a set of more-or-less identical equipment at a given time and exchanged them also at a given time. It is possible, for example, to determine almost down to the exact date when the LAH received their Panzer IV Ausf G to replace their F2 and then they upgraded to Tiger II's. But that is not what happened in the 2010's and 2020's. In the decades of relative peace, real-life militaries did not upgrade their equipment in quantum ways. Instead, each piece of equipment was given small upgrades whenever there is money available. Not even the US military is exempt from this. To reflect these changes in game terms would require such minute and long changes in the equipment files that no one can possibly remember. (The game, to its credit, did anticipate this by the concept of "attachments." Luis Guzman, if you happen to see this post, I would much appreciate it if you can update the suite for adjusting the "attachments" in the .exe files! If I can, for example, I would adjust the reconnaissance attachment to reflect the units having received small drones.)

Worsening the problem is that both the Russians and the Ukrainians have completely mixed and matched equipment in their units. Documentation is hard, but, for example, I have seen pictures and videos of the 6th Cossack Regiment of the LPR using a mix of T-80BV's, T-72B's, and even captured T-64's. There is no good way to really represent both sides with anything in the game other than with some generic 125 mm tank.

So that is why I stuck with the original equipment file. Yes, that averages out all of the vehicles that exists in real-life. But that is practically true as real-life units use them anyway. And using the original equipment file allows players to have some general sense of what each unit can do without having to remember and track all the granular differences about variants.

I did notice a problem in your video. For example, it seems that the Stinger missiles I assigned to the Ukrainians turned into SA-6's in your video.

I suppose I really should create an executable. If you are willing to upload and store it, I will put more work into it to make it into something usable!

min
Private
Private

Post by min » 2022-08-05 20:04, Friday

As a follow-up observation, the new scenario seems to work with PeG030.exe without any problem. In fact, without any change in the equipment file, it probably works better with PeG030.exe than with PeG010.exe.

Micha
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Micha » 2022-08-05 20:24, Friday

The problem in the video happened because i have used the peg asian e file.
You should check the other e-files to find the best ones, but peg 3.0 is a good one, would be ok for me.
If you can create an executable would be great and i will host it and host also the updates. If i can find time i will also playtest it.
Great , to see a little more live in Peg. :clap
www.peoplesgeneral.de
Slava Ukraina !

min
Private
Private

Post by min » 2022-08-07 05:40, Sunday

I have made revisions to the scenario and now put it into a package of Ukraine 2022 scenarios.

For all further comments and discussion, please post on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=821