PGF: "Ephemeral" Posts (ask questions or comment here)

Panzer / Allied General Remake: Strategies, Tactics, Efiles, Custom Campaigns, Customizations, Documentation.

Moderator: Radoye

Jorge44
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: PGF: "Ephemeral" Posts (ask questions or comment here)

Post by Jorge44 » 2020-08-24 07:58, Monday

Welcome!!!!! :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy :howdy
:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

re-enlist
Private
Private

Post by re-enlist » 2020-11-04 09:51, Wednesday

Gents,

need a little bit of help.

I do make some scenarios in PGF for presonal use (their level is not that good)

I use FPGE to change things. But sometimes that goes pretty wrong.

First can anyone explain what is the role of the Supply hexes?
Part of PGSCN file
# Supply hexes
# Hex Prestige for Capturing
(2:5) 0
(6:2) 0
(6:9) 0
(20:6) 0

And how can i influence it using FPGE? If i use a text editor direct in the PGSCN file the scenario starts up with a complete empty map and hangs.

Another serious issue is that i have serveral times that as soon as one party takes an enemy victory hexes after that purchase of new units goes wrong because i get the screen, select the purchase bur have no place to deploy it.

I hope someone can help

Thanks in advance.

Radoye
Royal Navy Battlecruiser Sqn

Post by Radoye » 2020-11-04 15:07, Wednesday

Supply Hexes are basically cities, where units can be purchased. Prestige for capturing is how much a player (human or AI) gets for capturing them from the enemy.

Unlike PG, in PGF it takes a few turns before one can purchase units in newly captured cities, if this is what you're asking.

Also, while editing in FPGE you need to set up the side for each city (Axis or Allied) as well as the flag (nation ownership) if you want to be able to purchase units there. The best thing to do is to look at existing scenarios (something simple, like the original PG Poland scen) and see how things are set up there, then try emulating that in your scenarios.

Baby steps. Don't worry, you'll get there! :)

mgor
Private
Private

How to start an online game?

Post by mgor » 2020-11-14 12:29, Saturday

We have PGForever v1.02 on two PC's connected to the Internet in one house (Windows 10). The game is launched on the both PC's. How to play with each other?

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2020-11-14 15:57, Saturday

I never did it myself, but from what i understand one of you would have to start a scenario, select a side for himself (pick "Player" from the radio button selector) and select "Remote Opponent" from the other side. You should then be prompted to pick a name for your game and start the session. The other player should then select Join Online Game from the main menu and should see the game you created.

As i said, i never tried it myself so this is all theoretical, but i'm sure someone will be able to fill in the blanks here :)

mgor
Private
Private

Re: How to start an online game? by mgor » 2020-11-14 13:29, Saturday

Post by mgor » 2020-11-14 18:15, Saturday

Radoye wrote:
2020-11-14 15:57, Saturday
one of you would have to start a scenario, select a side for himself (pick "Player" from the radio button selector) and select "Remote Opponent" from the other side. You should then be prompted to pick a name for your game and start the session. The other player should then select Join Online Game from the main menu and should see the game you created.
I'm trying to do it in this way, but after I enter a name of the game and confirm it, a run-time error occures.

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Possible Expertise

Post by HexCode » 2020-11-14 19:08, Saturday

mgor wrote:
2020-11-14 12:29, Saturday
We have PGForever v1.02 on two PC's connected to the Internet in one house (Windows 10). The game is launched on the both PC's. How to play with each other?
Radoye wrote:
2020-11-14 15:57, Saturday
I never did it myself, but from what i understand one of you would have to start a scenario, select a side for himself (pick "Player" from the radio button selector) and select "Remote Opponent" from the other side. You should then be prompted to pick a name for your game and start the session. The other player should then select Join Online Game from the main menu and should see the game you created. As i said, i never tried it myself so this is all theoretical, but i'm sure someone will be able to fill in the blanks here
mgor wrote:
2020-11-14 18:15, Saturday
I'm trying to do it in this way, but after I enter a name of the game and confirm it, a run-time error occurs.
I suggest that you PM newavenriquez. Judging by his posts in this forum, he appears to possess considerable knowledge and have had plenty of experience re: PGF's Online Play Mode. :ihope

Cat Leon
Major
Major

stackicn.bmp issue

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-19 09:29, Thursday

The small icon of aircraft-carrier for "Axis" is missing in stackicn.bmp! :-? As a result, we see a small truck instead of carrier in the game.
It's clear that both Allies and Axis should have an small icons for same unit classes! I don’t understand why the developers of PGF didn’t think about this simple thing especially since "Axis" carrier icon is present in the castable.png and it works in the game! As far as I understand this problem can only be solved by changing the game engine. Is it possible?
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2020-11-19 14:20, Thursday

This is inherited from the stock PG/AG where Axis does not have a carrier, the stackicn image is a direct conversion from PG.

Back in the day i was working with Rodankort (PGF developer) doing some playtesting for him and i mentioned this and a few other shortcomings of the PG/AG way of doing things (even though in many aspects superior to PacGen, the whole PG/AG "world" is basically a subset of what is available in PacGen so adding the missing unit classes, naval rules, night turns, 3-way scenarios, terrain and movement types etc etc with all the associated graphics would still make a lot of sense even when all you want to do is to make the original PG scenarios and campaigns playable under modern OS without having to set up emulators and such) but he said that's something he plans to look at in phase 2, his first goal being to provide a perfect reproduction of PG.

In the end, neither is PGF a perfect PG nor did we ever got to phase 2, since Rudankort got offered a contract to develop a commercial game (PanzerCorps) which ended up incorporating a lot of the concepts that were discussed during betatesting PGF - and is now prohibited under the terms of his contract to further work on PGF or to release the source files.

So i'm afraid it is what it is, at least for the next while.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-20 08:48, Friday

:howdy And yet, what if you ask Rodankort to fix this small glitch if you are still in contact with him. I don’t think that small fixing of an old EXE file is the breach of contract ...especially since no one will know about it! It's a hour's work for him, IMHO...

Another question. Is there any way to anchor an unit which have some movement (towed antitank guns or artillery for example) if it is necessary in the scenario? Unlike PG2, the trick with motionless fortification as transport doesn't work in PGF... :no

And another question :)
How to set "Allies Move First 1" option in a scenario using FPGE editor? :huh
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2020-11-20 14:26, Friday

There are several small glitches in PGF that would need fixing before we get into purely cosmetic stuff (for example, see what happens if you purchase an unit with movement 0 in a coastal / port city, or even if you attack them on a coastal hex and force them to retreat) but in the past Rudankort routinely refused to do so citing the terms of his contract.

As for anchoring the units, i never found a satisfactory solution to keep ATY, AT, AD, INF in place as such. I ended up creating a "garrison infantry" unit (Fortification class, increased GD / AD values and extra ammo, 0 movement) to work around this - it's far from ideal but it's the best i could think of.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-20 18:49, Friday

Radoye wrote:
2020-11-20 14:26, Friday
but in the past Rudankort routinely refused to do so citing the terms of his contract
Sounds like an excuse to me! ;) I think he just lost interest in PGF...

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

No Luis Guzman...

Post by HexCode » 2020-11-20 22:45, Friday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-11-20 18:49, Friday
Sounds like an excuse to me!
Luis Guzman is the exception ! :yes
Cat Leon wrote:
I think he just lost interest in PGF...
Like so many others... :rip

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2020-11-21 00:46, Saturday

Cat Leon wrote:
Radoye wrote:
2020-11-20 14:26, Friday
but in the past Rudankort routinely refused to do so citing the terms of his contract
Sounds like an excuse to me! ;) I think he just lost interest in PGF...
Well PzC is in many aspects a finished & polished PGF, so maybe he's just found a way to make money off of what used to be a hobby. I can't blame him for it.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-21 07:50, Saturday

There are several interesting lines in scenario file :
Max Unit Strength
Max Unit Experience
Allies Move First
Hidden scenario

FPG editor always adds "Max Unit Strength 15" and "Max Unit Experience 599" but i can only change them by hands.
As for "Allies Move First 1", I can only add this line by hands and it really works in the game but FPG editor always removes that line after saving a scenario. Does anyone know how to set these parameters in the editor? :huh
The work of "Hidden scenario 1" option is obscure to me...

BTW: if I'm not mistaken, this "rudankort" is Russian so I could try to talk him in Russian. Does anyone have his actual e-mail?

Parabellum
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Parabellum » 2020-11-21 10:13, Saturday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-11-21 07:50, Saturday
BTW: if I'm not mistaken, this "rudankort" is Russian so I could try to talk him in Russian. Does anyone have his actual e-mail?
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198073713178
http://flashback.games/contact-us/

PGF is not my building site, but I read along with it. These are the official sites, but I don't know if this will help you.
++++ Panzerliga.de ++++ PG3D-Forum ++++
Completed CCs: 1, 2x3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18x3,19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 26, 27, 31, 39, 41, 45, 46, 50, 51, 56, 59, 60x3, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76x2

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2020-11-21 14:25, Saturday

"Hidden scenario" is cosmetic, denotes a scenario that doesn't show up in the single scenario list in the PGF menu. Mainly it's used for the SSI Allied General campaign where originally you had the same scenario files being reused for US and UK campaigns - PGF has separate US and UK scenarios here but only one of them is playable from the single scenario mode (unless you hack it and remove the "hidden scenario" setting). It doesn't really do anything with regards to the actual gameplay once you've found your way into the actual scenario.

There is a way to set "Allies move first" from FPGE but i can't remember now off the top of my head how, it's been a while. I usually use FPGE only for map editing, to change ownership of hexes, add a city or a port or whatnot here or there, edit the deployment zones etc - i like to edit the scenario parameters by hand using a plain text editor (Notepad++ is my favorite). So i'm not 100% sure on where you can find this option but i know i did it.

For the other ones, "Max Unit Experience" is quite interesting for campaign play, it lets you control the rate your units gain experience throughout the campaign so that you don't end up with a monster all 5-star 15-strength core too early (or at all) if you've been adding extra scenarios to your campaign path.

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

FPGE is "Abandoned" Beta...

Post by HexCode » 2020-11-21 22:39, Saturday

Radoye wrote:
2020-11-21 14:25, Saturday
I usually use FPGE only for map editing, to change ownership of hexes, add a city or a port or whatnot here or there, edit the deployment zones etc - i like to edit the scenario parameters by hand using a plain text editor (Notepad++ is my favorite)
:yes :yes

Like PGF, FPGE is de facto "abandoned" beta. Unfortunately, the editing utility programmer's many diverse interests (especially content conversions) got in the way of his coming up with a truly polished product strictly dedicated to PGF... :2cents Bottom line is this: most modding requires / presupposes modders to be reasonably technically adept and, most importantly, very patient ! :ihope
Last edited by HexCode on 2020-11-25 06:23, Wednesday, edited 1 time in total.

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My Key Takes...

Post by HexCode » 2020-11-25 06:19, Wednesday

Bears repeating...
PGF's developer / programmer "publicly" released his game package, including a subsequently released, final engine update, Version 1.02. The software is presumed to be de facto "abandonware & betaware". FPGE's last developer / programmer of record "publicly" released his final editor package Version 0.7.5.10543. The software is presumed to be de facto "abandonware & betaware" as well. One of the editor's main purposes was to facilitate certain types of modding undertaken within the context of PGF.

PGF's source code hasn't been "publicly" released. As such, all of my posts will be based on the key assumption that the title's current engine and external support file formats will remain virtually unchanged, save for some potential hex-editing of PGF's main and only executable.

I consider SSI's Panzer / Allied General (stock) content which PGF's developer rendered playable under PGF to be custom content. Nevertheless, such time-honored (i.e., "classic") content is very useful in allowing a poster such as myself to use natural language to document and explain "things" as opposed to just resorting to opaque... hexadecimal / binary code.

Asking technical questions or, more generally, participating in interactive discussions regarding technical matters, is considerably more demanding than posting in non-technical areas. Language precision and poster patience are sine qua non if anything constructive is to be achieved as a result of such forum interactions.
Last edited by HexCode on 2020-11-25 19:42, Wednesday, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Re: My Key Takes...

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-11-25 08:45, Wednesday

HexCode wrote:
2020-11-25 06:19, Wednesday
FPGE's last developer / programmer of record "publicly" released his final editor package Version 0.7.5.10543
What 10543 mean? Is it same version as version 0.7.5 modified by Wino? :notsure

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by HexCode » 2020-11-25 19:49, Wednesday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-11-25 08:45, Wednesday
What does 10543 mean? Is it the same version as version 0.7.5 modified by Wino?
Yes it is. Like in the case of Open General, such "trailing" numerical designations point to an underlying coding regime in flux. That said, FPGE hasn't been in any sort of flux in years...

HexCode
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Replay Crashes ?

Post by HexCode » 2020-11-26 22:08, Thursday

Personally, I never use PGF's replay feature. However, for the sake of technical documentation's solidity, I kindly ask posters / lurkers to let "us" know whether they've experienced such crashes and, if so, how often.