[DEV] World at War - beta 5.1

Panzer / Allied General Remake: Strategies, Tactics, Efiles, Custom Campaigns, Customizations, Documentation.

Moderator: Radoye

Radoye
Royal Navy Battlecruiser Sqn

[DEV] World at War - beta 5.1

Post by Radoye » 2019-10-06 22:48, Sunday

The links in this post will be updated!

:bullhorn

PGF WAW beta 5.1: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ed83o6w2 ... 1.zip/file

What's New for this release:

1. Rework of INF class pricing structure to make thinks more consistent across all the nations. Replaced "HW" units with motorized / mechanized ones (that ride into battle on their vehicles).
2. Similar to above, new pricing structure for other unit classes as well (naval units still pending); some adjustments of stats to correct errors smoked out in the process.
3. All FRT class units are now soft targets; suitable increase in defense stats was given to compensate. HA now denotes pure anti-armor performance.
4. In accordance with #2 above, LB attack stats have been flipped from 1 SA / 4 HA to 4 SA / 1 HA (there will be further adjustment here, for now i am sticking with these nominal values as originally specified by SSI). Also, did a bit of a rework / shuffling around some LBs and TBs to consolidate them across all the nations.
5. 20 - 25 mm towed AD units have been moved into AA class and no longer provide support fire; all units in the AA class have now RNG = 1.
6. All light towed units - AA, AT, ATY now have MOV=2 (there will likely be some more refinement here).
7. All flame thrower vehicles are now in the AT class.
8. A lot of new unit icons have been created and added. Some UI modification as well.

PGF Waffen SS campaign version 1.71: https://www.mediafire.com/file/a1uh3dq0 ... 1.zip/file

Now includes the latest goodies from PGFWAW beta 5.1. :yes

Tired of the old PG1 menu and in-game music? Try our Alternative music files for PGF WAW: https://www.mediafire.com/file/51fw4o3f ... c.zip/file

Highly recommended for PFW WAW and Waffen SS campaigns! :deal

And in a similar fashion, for those preferring to fight in WW1 PGF WW1 sound mod: http://www.mediafire.com/file/c7sfo56am ... s.zip/file

To be used with Kaiser General and KuK General campaigns. Note for designers: "Jet" sound is now replaced by a multi-engined aircraft sound, since it is highly unlikely we'll find any jets modeled for the 1914-1918 timeframe. :wink

Enjoy!

Radoye

Re: [DEV] PGF World at War and more - beta 3.4 released!

Post by Radoye » 2019-12-24 21:46, Tuesday

PGF WaW - Why's and How's

Well... long story short - there are two main motivations behind what i'm doing here:

a) I want to make the game fun again - although, everyone's definition of what "fun" is will differ, i believe most of us agree that PGF as it is now is "broken", at least when used in the context of the stock PG/AG content. The new AI, while improving upon the original in some aspects, has introduced so many annoying new issues that it made playing the game very tedious to put it mildly. This is what motivates my tinkering with the scenarios and trying various "unorthodox" things, it's basically to make the play against the PGF AI fun again, in the same sense it was fun to play the original PG(DOS) all those years ago (at least fun to me). It is not designed with another purpose in mind than campaign or single scenario play against the AI, and while i didn't deliberately put any obstacles to playing it in H2H mode i do expect some of the scenarios to be unbalanced, because they were optimized for the PGF AI.

b) I want to expand the unit roster to make it possible to cover a wider selection of scenarios, historical and speculative, within the time frame of the WW2 (say, starting with Japanese incursions into Chinese lands in the early 1930's and finishing with Korea and Suez in the mid-1950's), for the usual "big" nations but also for the often overlooked "little" ones (it is not for nothing that i have 100 flags in my flags file). This is what motivates the eqp file edits i'm making, which are as much as an integral part of the WaW project as a whole as they are a standalone "product" (in lack of a better term), as evidenced by the Waffen-SS campaign. The SS campaign is much more "orthodox" in the vein of the SSI PG/AG content compared to the main WaW project, and largely without any clever trickery used in the scenario design. The main difference between the stock SSI content and the SS campaign is the expanded unit roster (and also a significantly smaller core size, and a different core nation with it's own quirks with regards the purchasing choices - but that's beside the point ;) ). I will keep the eqp file between the two projects in sync, any and all future additions and edits to the WaW eqp file will be fully compatible with the SS campaign.

I did not change the AI or any other hard-coded aspect of PGF, all my edits are purely done to scenario and data files. I am using several tricks to counter-act the PGF AI behavior, trying to set the scenarios up so that when playing they behave more like they did under PG. Just a personal preference of mine.

There is one main difference between the old SSI PG AI and the one implemented in PGF - the SSI AI understood the value of entrenchment and would keep highly entrenched units put in place, not just blindly move them about for no apparent reason. This allowed scenario designers to set up defensive positions outside designated victory hexes, all you needed to do is to assign an entrenchment value of 6 or higher to a unit and the AI would not move it. Instead, the PGF AI immediately abandons all non-VH positions and clusters all its units around the VHs. Also, at each VH it purchases the identical setup of interlocked multiple cheap AT, AD and ATY turning every scenario into a very predictable and repetitive affair. When set to attack, the PGF AI blindly leaves all VHs undefended and moves all available units towards the enemy held VHs, as far as they can go, often pushing ATY and other units in trucks right next to player's units making them too easy target to destroy. It will just send human wave after human wave until it runs out of prestige and is unable to replace it's units.

What i do is i limit the ability of AI side to purchase new units - they need to lose a big portion of their initial deployed force before they're able to start replacing them. To counter this, i am beefing up the initial AI force by adding more planes, tanks, artillery, AD etc (but not the cheap stuff AI buys!) so it is significantly stronger than what SSI gave them. On the player side, i have disabled purchasing auxiliary units so what auxes you are given at the start of the scenario cannot be replaced (and in some cases you'll need to keep them alive if you wish to win). I have also created some "special" units like the Garrison which is essentially an INF without movement and put into the FRT class, to make sure certain VH and non-VH locations are being defended at all times. All of this is tested and retested many times until i am satisfied with the result.

Not everyone might like it but hey you can't make everyone happy! :)

I consider the Waffen-SS campaign a finished "product" (that word again!), and unlike with WaW i see no reason why the SS campaign scenarios couldn't be played in H2H mode any more (or less?) than any of the stock SSI PG/AG scenarios. In fact, i see no reason why the stock SSI PG/AG scenarios and campaigns (and in fact any custom content compatible with the stock eqp files) couldn't be played using my expanded eqp file, if someone wishes to do so - i even encourage it. I do plan to convert other custom content, scenarios and campaigns, including SSI PacGen ones (see the Khalkhin Gol scenario already included in the latest WaW beta) to use my eqp file - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. :D

And if someone would decide to create future custom content based on my files, or even modify my files to make them better suited to their needs, that would make me extremely happy! :banana

Because making mods is only half of the fun. The other half is sharing them with the world. :clap

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2019-12-25 02:07, Wednesday

Radoye wrote:
2019-12-24 21:46, Tuesday
PGF WaW - Why's and How's

a) I want to make the game fun again - although, everyone's definition of what "fun" is will differ, i believe most of us agree that PGF as it is now is "broken", at least when used in the context of the stock PG/AG content. The new AI, while improving upon the original in some aspects, has introduced so many annoying new issues that it made playing the game very tedious to put it mildly. This is what motivates my tinkering with the scenarios and trying various "unorthodox" things, it's basically to make the play against the PGF AI fun again, in the same sense it was fun to play the original PG(DOS) all those years ago (at least fun to me). It is not designed with another purpose in mind than campaign or single scenario play against the AI, and while i didn't deliberately put any obstacles to playing it in H2H mode i do expect some of the scenarios to be unbalanced, because they were optimized for the PGF AI.
I had endless "deaf people's" debates on the subject of "fun" when I was deep into Enemy Territory.
(the free online FPS born to the Wolfenstein series, not the real... thing...)
Not long after I stopped playing ET I arrived at JP's convinced I wouldn't see/hear anything of that sort there.
Surely wouldn't be possible with a series of games where the way you play doesn't interfere at all with other player's "fun" if you play v AI.
Even if playing H2H the way that "fun" interference may happen is radically different than that experienced in ET. Isn't it?
How I was wrong...

Speaking of PG (DOS), one of these days I came across a site with PG series downloads and ended up running something I hadn't seen yet:
PG Win95 (units not sounding seems to be the worst case of malfunction)
Radoye wrote:
b) I want to expand the unit roster to make it possible to cover a wider selection of scenarios, historical and speculative, within the time frame of the WW2 (say, starting with Japanese incursions into Chinese lands in the early 1930's and finishing with Korea and Suez in the mid-1950's), for the usual "big" nations but also for the often overlooked "little" ones (it is not for nothing that i have 100 flags in my flags file). This is what motivates the eqp file edits i'm making, which are as much as an integral part of the WaW project as a whole as they are a standalone "product" (in lack of a better term), as evidenced by the Waffen-SS campaign. The SS campaign is much more "orthodox" in the vein of the SSI PG/AG content compared to the main WaW project, and largely without any clever trickery used in the scenario design. The main difference between the stock SSI content and the SS campaign is the expanded unit roster (and also a significantly smaller core size, and a different core nation with it's own quirks with regards the purchasing choices - but that's beside the point ;) ). I will keep the eqp file between the two projects in sync, any and all future additions and edits to the WaW eqp file will be fully compatible with the SS campaign.
Here you have another potential endless debate; when did the thing started?
I remember posting something in the PGX topic about starting the equipment from WW1!
Well, that would be in the context of a PGX scenario starting in WW1 and ending in WWII (at latest).
Bit aside what you're talking about here, isn't it?
However, I guess the inclusion of "little" ones from as early as early 30's will tend to extend the eqp "backwards".
In a few select cases back until WW1...

Flags: I had a whole bunch of'em intended for PGX. Let me see... 127 but a good part of it are for "rebellious colonies" or in other words not 39-45.
So, I guess there are some here you haven't there, but much less you might really need.
Maybe North Yemen 1927-1962?

Radoye wrote:
I do plan to convert other custom content, scenarios and campaigns, including SSI PacGen ones (see the Khalkhin Gol scenario already included in the latest WaW beta) to use my eqp file - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. :D
PacGen will be tougher yet to make "fun" in PGF, right?
Or eventually PacPG/AG.
The aero-naval stuff... how can it work well enough?

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2019-12-25 04:56, Wednesday

Bombast the Blue wrote:
2019-12-25 02:07, Wednesday
Here you have another potential endless debate; when did the thing started?
I plan to eventually cover the timeframe from roughly the end of the Russian Civil War to the end of the Chinese Civil War. So say mid-1920s to 1950 or so.
Bombast the Blue wrote:
2019-12-25 02:07, Wednesday
The aero-naval stuff... how can it work well enough?
It can't. I'll have to figure out some sort of a workaround. :dunno

Radoye

Re: Aero-Naval Challenges

Post by Radoye » 2019-12-25 21:05, Wednesday

HexCode wrote:
2019-12-25 17:48, Wednesday
One can easily mod a hex somewhere on the map's edge to visually display some "innocuous" terrain like sea / ocean while sporting a "concealed" airfield terrain.
Well yes, that's exactly what i had in mind. :clap

Actually, i would add a whole bunch of airfield hexes masked as an ocean hex, with one single ocean hex in the middle of it all; then i'll park an aircraft carrier unit right in the middle so that it can't move - to give it the right looks as well.

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2020-01-10 07:51, Friday

Don't know if possible, but: in early stages of PG2 scenario making, designers "anchored" AI units by attaching (as organic transport) units with 0 Movement to the main unit.
I.e. an infantry shall not move -> add a fortress with 0 Speed as TPT.

Maybe this would work here as well ?

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2020-01-10 12:57, Friday

I was thinking of doing something like that, i haven't gotten around to test it yet. This might finally be a good use for the "RESERVED" unit. :)

For now i have a "garrison" unit - basically an INF in a FRT class with no movement. Being in FRT class is important because all other classes (as far as i've noticed) would withdraw even with movement 0 - only forts never withdraw.

Jorge44
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jorge44 » 2020-08-24 08:11, Monday

Hello my friend: Will we see an update of your projects soon? Take the time it takes, your jobs are awesome :notworthy I sincerely hope that both your family and you are well in the era of the covid and above all, remember that even if I do not write much, I read the forum daily. A big hug: Your friend Jorge :howdy

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2021-01-11 04:27, Monday

In the context of campaign play "Max Unit Experience" caps the amount of experience your core units can gain within a particular scenario. If used correctly, the experience levels of your initial core units at the start of the campaign will be at or below the "Max Unit Experience" level set in scenario 1 and following from it will remain below the "Max Unit Experience" setting of each subsequent scenario (which is exactly the intention), so i have no worries about this.

And as we know, Elite Replacements don't reduce the already accumulated experience points. So if you preplace an unit with 5-star exp and do elite replacements, it will stay at it's current exp level after Elite Replacements are applied regardless of the "Max Unit Experience" settings, i don't think there's any particular controversy about that.

More interesting question is what happens to a 4-star unit preplaced with "Max Unit Experience" set to a lower value (1, 2 or 3-star), will this unit continue to accumulate experience or will it remain "stuck" at it's current level? We've seen some "interesting" game crashing bugs in Pacific General with ship classes getting automatic "replacements" above the maximum of 15 under some similar circumstances...

Lettos
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Lettos » 2021-01-11 08:47, Monday

Radoye wrote:There is one main difference between the old SSI PG AI and the one implemented in PGF - the SSI AI understood the value of entrenchment and would keep highly entrenched units put in place, not just blindly move them about for no apparent reason. This allowed scenario designers to set up defensive positions outside designated victory hexes, all you needed to do is to assign an entrenchment value of 6 or higher to a unit and the AI would not move it.
In my mod OoB Scenario LC, played in PG1, I observed a phenomenon that refutes what was said. Pls take a look to Scenario map. You see 8 inf. and 2 guns to the south from St.Quentin (Hexes 13:20, 13:21 etc). ENT=6. I placed these units to emulate France reserve army. In reality 14 divisions were located in Reims region. I hoped what AI never will move these 10 units. During first 10-12 turns units remained unmoved. But later AI decides to move them in North direction!

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2021-01-11 15:11, Monday

Well yes, sometimes the PG1 AI will move highly entrenched units too. But PGF AI moves them always, and keeps moving them almost every turn. It would leave victory hexes unprotected, move units from fortification hexes onto clear terrain, keeps shifting them around so that they can't generate any entrenchment points... In PG1 when designing scenarios you could set up defensive lines to protect AI's important strategic hexes, in PGF it is near impossible to do.

Lettos
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Lettos » 2021-03-11 11:57, Thursday

Radoye wrote:
Because making mods is only half of the fun. The other half is sharing them with the world. :clap
I played the Spain campaign and next two Poland scenarios, with AI=Intermediate.
Thank you so much for the Bilbao and Ebro scenarios! It was a real fun to play! :cool :cool :cool These are very good balanced and very interesting scenarios with some surprising from AI! :)

Radoye

Re: [DEV] PGF World at War and more - beta 3.5 released!

Post by Radoye » 2021-04-06 11:58, Tuesday

Beta 3.5 released, link in the first post

Jorge44
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jorge44 » 2021-04-06 20:29, Tuesday

Hello my brother: :howdy

I am very happy that your project is going ahead and keeping updates on a regular basis. To be honest, I am very sorry I did not help you in the test, but the coronavirus and the situation around me have not helped me much, really. Today is late in my country, but tomorrow I will download your work without hesitation, and I hope that many will be encouraged to do it too. I am very happy, although the daily reality prevails. I already have work on my page, and if you allow me, I will renew the links to your work.

Take good care of yourself and your whole family: Your brother Jorge :howdy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

HexCode
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

[DEV] Kindly Confirm :)

Post by HexCode » 2021-05-24 21:52, Monday

Recently, there's been quite a bit of "grognard" posting here:

[DEV] Historical OoB Scenarios
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=467

Two fundamental concepts / concerns have emerged:

1) Battalion-sized units and their implications
2) Battalion unit composition

Do the above concepts / concerns apply to WaW as well ? In particular, are units in WaW composite in the sense that they were derived via an aggregation methodology "judiciously" combining functionally diverse sub-components ?

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2021-05-25 03:25, Tuesday

I was aiming for that, yes. Maybe my approach wasn't as studious and detailed as Sapper Bill's work for PG2 but i am trying to account for this diversity of the different support sub-units and components of my battalions. I don't want to stray too far from the familiar SSI-style territory (my main motivation to start working on this was to try to recreate the "fun" feel of PG1 play under the constraints of the PGF's tedious AI) but i am aware that units aren't really single vehicles :)

In other news, i am nearing the release of beta 4 - including a brand new 'expert' low prestige campaign setting, a new map for scenario #001 Poland (by kind permission of our colleague Lettos), small modifications to a number of scenarios in the 1936 Spain campaign, some fixes in the eqp file and a bunch of new nations and units available...

Radoye

Re: [DEV] PGF World at War and more - beta 4.0 released!

Post by Radoye » 2021-06-15 20:26, Tuesday

New release for PGF WAW - major news! - please see the 1st post in this topic for all the details and download links.

The Waffen SS campaign has also been updated.

Lettos
Kadet
Kadet

Re: [DEV] Prestige Editing

Post by Lettos » 2021-06-16 00:22, Wednesday

HexCode wrote:
2021-06-15 23:04, Tuesday
Radoye wrote:
2019-10-06 22:48, Sunday
NEW 1936 - 1945 Expert Mode campaign with reduced prestige
As recently "discovered", the Selection Slider originally intended to enable modifications to Baseline Prestige Point amounts by a percentage anywhere in the ZERO (0) to TWO HUNDRED (200) range is a DUD ! It simply doesn't work at all. :nyet

Consequently, players wishing to tinker with this or that Prestige Point amount need a bit of "technical familiarity" to successfully edit the relevant text-formatted, external support files (i.e., *.PGSCN and / or PG.PGCAM). It's not that difficult... :2cents
I don't understand what connection some unknown slider :D :D :D has with what's done in the Expert Campaign. If You look inside the PGCAM You'll roll back Your critic ... :notsure ;)

Here was a meticulous analytical work for a couple of weeks, not just move some non-functional sliders just from nothing to do. :idea

And by the way You can try to play and win :) :howdy

Radoye

Re: [DEV] Prestige Editing

Post by Radoye » 2021-06-16 00:27, Wednesday

HexCode wrote:
2021-06-15 23:04, Tuesday
Consequently, players wishing to tinker with this or that Prestige Point amount need a bit of "technical familiarity" to successfully edit the relevant text-formatted, external support files (i.e., *.PGSCN and / or PG.PGCAM). It's not that difficult... :2cents
Indeed.

And since i already have plenty of pgscn files in my scenario folder as-is and didn't wanted to add another 40+ of essentially the same thing, i decided to reuse the same "vanilla" files in my Expert path too.

So what i did was added another campaign path to the pgcam file, where i recalculated the prestige allotments for all outcomes. I added together the starting prestige award from each pgscn file and added it with the Major Victory award in the "vanilla" path; Then, i reduced this total by 60% and subtracted the scenario starting prestige from it. This is my new Major Victory award, and yes sometimes it can go into negative values.

For Minor Victory and Defeat outcomes, i look at the difference between the "vanilla" Major Vic and other outcomes, and use the same difference for my new calculated values. A simple reduction by a fixed % would make the difference between MV and mV too small, so i decided to keep it exactly same as before. Which means that most often these will go into negative values.

(If one comes into Moscow 41 after total victory in the west - which is not easy to achieve, having less powerful core in France - any outcome except a MV is truly catastrophic prestige-wise and will take a long time to dig out from; but wasn't that where Wehrmacht broke its back in real life too? ;) )

The campaign settings have been playtested in detail and victory is indeed possible, but it is not going to be a walk in a park spearheaded with 5-star 15 STR Tiger IIs, so be prepared! :deal

zjorz
Private
Private

Post by zjorz » 2021-06-16 04:54, Wednesday

Radoye wrote:
2021-06-15 20:26, Tuesday
New release for PGF WAW - major news! - please see the 1st post in this topic for all the details and download links.

The Waffen SS campaign has also been updated.
Great to see this mod being updated! Looking forward to playing this new version! You really are keeping PGF alive

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2021-06-21 01:42, Monday

Actually no - i am having trouble coming up with a good formula for air stats. I think i overcomplicated things, i need to take a fresh look at this. I am trying to come up with a formula so i can calculate all the newly added stuff that is in scale with the original SSI PG stats (not necessarily identical, but in the same ballpark) so that i can pump in a bunch of numbers into an Excel spreadsheet and get a result out. And i have something that works, but is too detailed - i can find the necessary data for the best known types (USAAF, RAF, LW) but it is impossible to find it for others. On the other hand, i am unable to get enough fidelity if i keep just to the data which is easily to find, can't massage it into stats which make sense. :dunno

But the eqp file is never going to be fully locked down - i'll keep expanding it, fleshing out newly added nations. However, once all the stats for the stuff already in the file are nailed down and i stop tinkering with them, i will consider the file "done", in the meaning that what is in there is no longer going to be changed.

Right now the air unit stats are the last major obstacle on my way to be "done" with the eqp.

HexCode
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

[DEV] SP ATY Unit Class Reassignment

Post by HexCode » 2021-06-29 02:03, Tuesday

Elsewhere in this forum:
Lettos wrote:
2021-06-27 20:47, Sunday
Using WAW as an example. Radoye has already taken the important step of moving the self-propelled guns, aka sometimes Assault guns, into the ATG class.
Let me see if I understand the reassignment correctly.

a) SSI's flagship content introduced the following terminology: Armored, tracked ATY units having SHOOTING RANGE (ShR) greater than ONE (1) were referred to as Self-Propelled Artillery units. BUT, armored, tracked ATY units having ShR equal to ONE (1) were particularly referred to as Assault Gun units.

SO, which unit type(s) are "we" talking about ? :dunno

b) Normally, excepting Capital Ship Class units' exchange of ranged fire, a unit having ShR > 1 is rendered impervious to retaliatory enemy fire. PGF's engine considers the unit's attacks to be ranged ones. Have such armored, tracked ATY unit types been reassigned to the ATG Unit Class ? If so, they can "fearlessly" initiate attacks at the very end of their movement phases. :yes

c) MISLEADING: If one were to retain a ShR =1, the units' desirable ability to initiate attacks at the very end of their movement phases comes with the attendant disadvantage of exposing the units to enemy retaliatory fire. In fact, sometimes, due to grossly unfavorable, relative initiative determination, the enemy retaliatory fire happens first... In any case, SSI's Assault Gun units are protected from enemy retaliatory fire as long as they retain their ATY Unit Class designation, right ?

RECENT EDIT: ShR > 0 does mean "all initiated attacks are ranged". ShR = 0 means that "no initiated attacks are ranged". Hopefully, reader confusion will be avoided.
Last edited by HexCode on 2021-07-03 19:53, Saturday, edited 4 times in total.

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2021-06-29 12:57, Tuesday

I moved all self propelled R=1 units (Assault Guns) to AT class. StuGIIIb and the like. In addition to these, i moved some other units - for example those carrying the SiG33 150mm gun (this gun had a very short range in reality and was intended for direct fire use), also 105mm Shermans, KV-2, Bishop and the like (neither a tank nor an artillery piece really)... to the AT class with R=1, and did away with the ATY versions of ISU / SU 122 and 152 (now there's only an AT with R=1).

I still have SPATY with R > 1 (Wespe, Hummel and many more).

R=1 AT units are very powerful since they don't receive return fire when attacking, but they are expensive and have low ammo which makes them pretty vulnerable when being attacked so it balances out.

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2021-06-30 00:54, Wednesday

R=0 means no ranged attack. Effectively, it means the same as R=1 (attack the unit right next to you) but R=0 will get the attacked unit to respond and fire back (or even fire first, if initiative goes their way), R=1 won't.

I "stole" this idea from Gerold T. who actually used the RCN class (renamed to "Assault Guns") for the same purpose. I felt this was not necessary since i treat the "AT" class as direct fire artillery anyway - not just strictly anti armor weapons but also stuff like infantry guns and such. So any gun towed or self-propelled that fires over open sights at targets they can see goes there, those who fire beyond the visible range (indirect fire further than the horizon ~4500-500m +) go into ATY class. I tend to give units that were transferred from ATY class R=1, and keep the "true" AT R=0 (there are some exceptions though!).

(I am planning to do something similar with antiaircraft guns, everything 50mm and below will go into AA class, only heavies would stay in AD class. Lots of ideas, just never enough time to implement them all!)

Lettos
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Lettos » 2021-06-30 06:48, Wednesday

Radoye wrote:
2021-06-30 00:54, Wednesday
I "stole" this idea from Gerold T. who actually used the RCN class (renamed to "Assault Guns") for the same purpose. I felt this was not necessary since i treat the "AT" class as direct fire artillery anyway - not just strictly anti armor weapons but also stuff like infantry guns and such.
It turns out that Herold T. was the first person to invent the wheel! All due respect to a colleague! :cool
My wheel surprisingly turned out to be exactly the same. See here for the MVT order in PG1.

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=174&start=150#p10040

I think Gerald understood perfectly well the reason why Assault guns should be placed in the Recons class. We scientifically confirm his discovery! :idea :)
Radoye wrote:
2021-06-30 00:54, Wednesday
(I am planning to do something similar with antiaircraft guns, everything 50mm and below will go into AA class, only heavies would stay in AD class. Lots of ideas, just never enough time to implement them all!)
A very good decision! :cool I like the way you think :)

zjorz
Private
Private

Post by zjorz » 2021-09-04 12:57, Saturday

Radoye wrote:
2019-10-06 22:48, Sunday
Tired of the old PG1 menu and in-game music? Try our Alternative music files for PGF WAW: https://www.mediafire.com/file/51fw4o3f ... c.zip/file

Highly recommended for PFW WAW and Waffen SS campaigns! :deal
Have you considered offering these MP3 files in 128kbps instead of 320? That is the quality of the average CD audio. The PSX AG soundtracks I found are also in 128kbps and they sound great. Would likely save quite some space and allow them to be added to the main file.

Also your sounds effects have an extremly high bitrate of 705kbps. For reference, the original PGF sound effects are at 87kbps. So again you could save some space there. Doubt people will notice the difference.

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2021-09-04 19:24, Saturday

That is actually a good idea!

B29
Private
Private

Post by B29 » 2022-04-09 04:21, Saturday

Hey there Rad! :howdy

Glad to find some remnant of JP's still afloat and good to see you're still alive and chuggin'!

I noticed your Soviet campaign starts with Khalkin Ghol (I had a similar idea, well to replace Finland with it anyway and use the Nomonhon map from EWR) and unless I'm mistaken your map is derived from the stock Khalkin Gol map from the original PacGen game, is that right?

If so, have you imported any other maps from PacGen into FPGE?

I'm after a couple of maps from Clash of Eagles (NW Africa and Madagascar) and they crash FPGE almost immediately when I scroll the new map. I have targeted the map files in the COE map pack, then I targeted the campaign scen files, then I tried opening those in the Battle Generator, editing and resaving them in there before importing. I tried opening them in PacMap and resaving them from there...I just don't get it. I was able to open a few Z-Plan and other random maps without a crash (granted I haven't yet tried to do anything with them though). IIRC, when a map is bad or unstable with a faulty tile, it will usually crash the Battle Generator, and these are proven maps! I don't get it. My FPGE is 7.5 is there a newer version?

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2022-04-09 22:45, Saturday

My FPGE is v 7.4 :dunno

I never tried converting a map that is non-stock Pacgen so i can't say if there is something odd with that particular map or not.

What i do is: import the scenario and save it right away (export to PGF), then i manually modify the .pgscn file (set my Axis / Allied nations, convert the scenario units to the PGF eqp file - unit ID numbers matching same for same in the two eqp files) using an ordinary text editor (Notepad does just fine). Finally, i replace the exported terrain tiles file (auto-generated from PacGen) with my PGF tiles.

Now, this is tricky - there are many many more PacGen terrain tiles compared to PG/AG tileset that is used by PGF, but luckily most scenarios use only a small subset of these. If there are more tiles used on the map than there is in the tileset, this might cause PGF to crash (i did not test this, just an assumption). In any case, after replacing the tileset the map looks all jumbled up of course, and you need to manually sort it out. Follow the terrain type descriptions and pick matching tiles until you redo the whole map.

This sounds like a lot of work, and indeed it is, but still less than if you have to do a map from scratch since a lot of the underlying work is already done for you.

B29
Private
Private

Post by B29 » 2022-04-10 20:27, Sunday

Yeah totally agree, and the same was basically true with PacGen and PacMap —way easier to start with an existing map.

Thanks that was helpful.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-04-13 06:19, Wednesday

PGF_WAW_beta4.0.zip contains WAWPGFiconlist.txt file in Graphics directory. But how to practically use this file? The point is that quickly finding an icon with wanted number in tacicons.bmp is not so easy task. Or did I 'miss something'? :huh
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2022-04-13 12:43, Wednesday

Yes indeed Leon, that is the point, it's just a reference list with all the icons. Originally inherited from the AGW mod and since expanded.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-04-14 07:26, Thursday

I haven't studied the Efile in detail but some things look strange to me. I always thought that unit movement is proportional to the speed: the higher speed, the higher movement in the game. However we can see somewhat different in the Efile, for example:
P-51D Mustang - movement of 17 (maximum speed - 635 -703 km/h)
P-38F Lightning - movement of 18 (maximum speed - 626 km/h)
B-17F Flying Fortress - movement of 19 (maximum speed - 481-523 km/h)
B-29 Superfortress - movement of 20 (maximum speed - 604 km/h)
:notsure
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Parabellum
Captain
Captain

Post by Parabellum » 2022-04-14 07:40, Thursday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-04-14 07:26, Thursday
I haven't studied the Efile in detail but some things look strange to me. I always thought that unit movement is proportional to the speed: the higher speed, the higher movement in the game. However we can see somewhat different in the Efile, for example:
P-51D Mustang - movement of 17 (maximum speed - 635 -703 km/h)
P-38F Lightning - movement of 18 (maximum speed - 626 km/h)
B-17F Flying Fortress - movement of 19 (maximum speed - 481-523 km/h)
B-29 Superfortress - movement of 20 (maximum speed - 604 km/h)
:notsure
Probably a tradeoff of speed and range, with range playing a greater weight in determining movement. The Mustang flew only about 1,600km, the B-29 about 9,000km.
Completed CCs: 1x4, 2x5, 3x3, 4, 5x3, 6, 7x2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17x2, 18x3, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56x3, 57, 58, 59, 60x3, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67x2, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72x2, 73, 74, 75x2, 76x5, MTC I
Completed CCCs: #8

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-04-14 08:11, Thursday

Parabellum wrote:
2022-04-14 07:40, Thursday
Probably a tradeoff of speed and range, with range playing a greater weight in determining movement. The Mustang flew only about 1,600km, the B-29 about 9,000km.
IMHO: You just have to give more fuel to an aircraft with a longer range but the movement should be determined by aircraft speed!

Another example of discrepancy between speed and movement:
Spitfire XIV - movement of 14 (speed - 674-721 km/h)
Tomahawk IIB - movement of 15 (maximum speed - 555 km/h)

Parabellum
Captain
Captain

Post by Parabellum » 2022-04-14 08:25, Thursday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-04-14 08:11, Thursday
Parabellum wrote:
2022-04-14 07:40, Thursday
IMHO: You just have to give more fuel to an aircraft with a longer range but the movement should be determined by aircraft speed!

Another example of discrepancy between speed and movement:
Spitfire XIV - movement of 14 (speed - 674-721 km/h)
Tomahawk IIB - movement of 15 (maximum speed - 555 km/h)
Yes, I agree with you in principle, but obviously a different principle is chosen here for determining the movement of aircraft. This is supported by your two examples: Spitfire approx. 800km, Curtiss P-40 approx. 1,200km.
Completed CCs: 1x4, 2x5, 3x3, 4, 5x3, 6, 7x2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17x2, 18x3, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56x3, 57, 58, 59, 60x3, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67x2, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72x2, 73, 74, 75x2, 76x5, MTC I

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2022-04-14 12:38, Thursday

Yes, in determination of aircraft movement range plays an important role. I wanted to simulate situations where bombers had a longer reach than fighters which would not be able to escort them all the way to the target and back.

IMO with one turn lasting a full day or more the speed of air units becomes less relevant (it is still an important factor in calculating initiative). On this time scale all planes were able to reach their extreme range, unlike ground / naval units which were able to go on for several days on one tank of fuel or replenishing from supplies carried with the unit. There it makes more sense to calculate movement as speed (a faster unit will cover more distance in a day) but for planes the distance they will cover fully depends on range rather than speed.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-04-18 05:36, Monday

The idea is clear. Do you use any formulas or rules to calculate movement and fuel for aircrafts?

HexCode
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

[DEV] Air Unit Stats: Rules & Formulas

Post by HexCode » 2022-04-18 19:38, Monday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-04-18 05:36, Monday
Do you use any formulas or rules to calculate movement and fuel for aircraft?
Radoye wrote:
2021-06-21 01:42, Monday
i am having trouble coming up with a good formula for air stats. I think i overcomplicated things, i need to take a fresh look at this. I am trying to come up with a formula so i can calculate all the newly added stuff that is in scale with the original SSI PG stats (not necessarily identical, but in the same ballpark) so that i can pump in a bunch of numbers into an Excel spreadsheet and get a result out. And i have something that works, but is too detailed - i can find the necessary data for the best known types (USAAF, RAF, LW) but it is impossible to find it for others. On the other hand, i am unable to get enough fidelity if i keep just to the data which is easily to find, can't massage it into stats which make sense.

But the eqp file is never going to be fully locked down - i'll keep expanding it, fleshing out newly added nations. However, once all the stats for the stuff already in the file are nailed down and i stop tinkering with them, i will consider the file "done", in the meaning that what is in there is no longer going to be changed.

Right now the air unit stats are the last major obstacle on my way to be "done" with the eqp.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-04-19 08:37, Tuesday

Just an example about fuel.
In reality
Bf 109G-2 - range (with droptank) is 845 km
Ju 88A - range is 2710 km
Coefficient is 2710/845=3.2
Data may vary from source to source!

In the Efile
Bf 109G-2 - fuel 68
Ju 88A - fuel 128
128/68=1.88

With real coefficient of 3.2 the fuel of Ju 88A should be 68*3.2=218 instead of 128 in the Efile... :huh

Parabellum
Captain
Captain

Post by Parabellum » 2022-04-19 09:59, Tuesday

Cat Leon wrote:
2022-04-19 08:37, Tuesday
With real coefficient of 3.2 the fuel of Ju 88A should be 68*3.2=218 instead of 128 in the Efile... :huh
The example is so well chosen that one could directly speak of a typo: 218 ... 128 ... ;)

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2022-04-19 10:28, Tuesday

No, it's not a typo, it's just a coincidence! :)

On the other hand bombers combat range very much depends on bomb load.
For example.
Combat range of 'Short Stirling' is 1191 km with 6350 kg bomb load and 3106 km with 2268 kg.
What range should we use to calculate fuel in the game? Maybe some average value (1191+3106)/2=2148km...

Another question what range should we use to calculate fuel of fighters, with droptank, without it or some average value?
P-51D Mustang as an example.
Combat range - 1528 km, with droptank - 2660 km. Some sources talk of 3700 km but it is ferry range.
Average range - (1528+2660)/2=2094 km.

Then if you use Bf109E with range of 660km and fuel of 48 (in my Efile) as a starting point, P-51D with average range of 2094km should have fuel of 152 in the Efile... :notsure

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2022-04-29 16:01, Friday

Most of my formulas aren't linear but rather exponential - square root or even cube root based. I found this fits better with the scale that was originally in the game. And with aircraft movement it is not pure range, i do factor speed in, it is just heavily slanted towards range rather than speed.

But as i said earlier (thanks @HexCode) i am not satisfied with current aircraft stats and am planning to revisit them in the future (real life matters permitting of course).

Robi
Private
Private

Post by Robi » 2022-05-01 12:30, Sunday

Hi to all.

Can anyone explain to me exactly how to remove the unit experience limit in this campaign? I just really like to focus on units and upgrade them as much as possible, but unfortunately there is a limit here. In the Spanish campaign up to level 11 :/

I would like to ask for detailed information on what and how to edit, step by step :) Thank you very much :)

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2022-05-01 15:04, Sunday

This limit is very important for the playability of the campaign. If you remove this limit the campaign will get unbalanced later on, you will just walk over scenarios with no real challenge. I have set this limit to prevent uber-units early on in the campaign and also to give chance all your newly purchased units to catch up in experience to your initial core. The limit grows as the war goes on so that by the end of the campaign you will have your 5-star core that you're used to, it will just take a bit longer to get there. ;)

But if you really want to eliminate this limit, you will have to go to the campaign's Scenario folder and find all *.pgscn files, open each in Notepad or similar text editor and near the top of the file find the Max Unit Experience setting and edit it to say 599.

Robi
Private
Private

Post by Robi » 2022-05-03 19:12, Tuesday

Everything works! Thank you very much for your help :)

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2022-05-03 21:25, Tuesday

Glad i could help, but i think you'll be having much more fun if you played the campaign as designed... :deal

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2023-10-20 17:04, Friday

:bullhorn Hear ye, hear ye!

Major update coming soon - a rework of the INF class, introducing mechanized units and sorting out all prestige costs.

This requires a review of all scenarios, so it might take a while - i will release the updated version of the SS campaign as a preview in a few days!

Jorge44
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jorge44 » 2023-10-21 11:28, Saturday

Hello Radoye: :howdy

What a joy to see this project moving forward :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy . I can't wait to see the project update. On the other hand, I have in mind to expand my website with the latest works for PGF, and of course, if you give me your permission, I will upload your files to the page.

Take care of yourself and a big hug: your friend Jorge :howdy

Radoye

Post by Radoye » 2023-10-22 18:41, Sunday

Thank you for your kind words Jorge, and yes feel free to upload my files onto your website! :cool

Here's a link to the new Waffen SS campaign update now up to v1.7: https://www.mediafire.com/file/754h6zz0 ... 7.zip/file

(same link is in the OP)

This includes the new eqp and icons from the upcoming WaW 5.0 beta, with some minor cleanups done in the scenario files.

Enjoy!