[DEV] Panzer General Total War

Panzer / Allied General Remake: Strategies, Tactics, Efiles, Custom Campaigns, Customizations, Documentation.

Moderator: Radoye

newavenriquez
Private
Private

[DEV] Panzer General Total War

Post by newavenriquez » 2019-10-25 00:55, Friday

Join the Discord Community for Text, Voice, and Video Chat with other players, and Early Updates:
https://discord.gg/AQAPcF4

Short Summary:
Ship, Forts, and runways now Purchasable, All units have realistic cost, Aux mostly removed, More air mobile Axis units, Tanks more effective, Scenarios Harder, All equipment truckable since trains unavailable, AUX units discounted, MegaPoland Scenario added, Antitank class removed, Interscenario replacements removed

Long Summary:
The biggest changes in gameplay include artillery attack being cut in half so armor stands a chance, Level bombers have less ammo and lower attack values since suppression is more than enough, Plane initiative has been balanced, Tacticals have reduced fuel (matching historical info and distance ratio) making airfields more important, Ships and Fortifications can be purchased, prestige system is now based off of actual monetary cost, units are more mobile (truckable and more paradrop units: tanks, guns, and recon) for overwhelming the enemy, Ai is more aggressive, MegaPoland has been addded to better match the scale of the other scenarios, Units from the Anti-Tank class have been moved to the infantry class to improve performance, Interscenario free replacements and most auxillary units have been removed to make losses hurt more, and your military is more customizable. This mod focuses on the game mechanics to make the game more challenging, realistic, and PvP friendly (although the current version focuses on 1939 starting point campaign play vs the AI)
*Unit Stats edit based off of historical information

TODO (*A more current list is on the discord*):
- Edit plane stats
- Convert to Dos
- Inc Scenario Historical Accuracy
- Scenario play

Bugs:
1) LuftW Units when given truck transports lose the ability to be depolyed in air from the start of a scenario and must be deployed one by one at an airbase
2) Fortifications are carried to the next scenario but can only be placed at starting bases

New Unit Legend:
1) Luftw = Paradrop Units
2) c = Crucifix/stationary units (+Def/spotting)
3) year (ex 41,42,43) = Early Purchase (150% cost)
4) Runway Engineer = Acts similar to a carrier but is stationary

PGF 1.02 +Total War/Mega Poland (8mb)
Download:
1) Click the Link
2) Click "No Thanks"(pop up)
3) Click Download Arrow (top right)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzbvonfh2hts5 ... a.zip?dl=0
Install:
1) Extract the Panzer General Forever folder
2) Double Click the Panzer General Forever.exe or one of the .Bat files

donate:
https://www.paypal.me/WalkerServers

Mega Poland Campaign Instructions:

Added Ship Purchases

3 types of carriers available in addition to runway engineers

Medium Bombers added to purchase menu

Light tanks are air transportable and LuftW tanks can be glider dropped

Airborne(LuftW) and stationary(c) unit variations added

Flak guns added to AA for all around base defense

Sources:
wikipedia.com
achtungpanzer.com
worldofwarplanes.com
worldoftanks.com
craveonline.com
Last edited by newavenriquez on 2021-11-18 09:29, Thursday, edited 22 times in total.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Re: [DEV] Panzer General Total War

Post by newavenriquez » 2020-10-22 06:58, Thursday

Update Released! :uzi
The biggest changes are MegaPoland Scenario has been added, Anti-tank class has been removed, and Inter-scenario replacements have been removed. Some cities, ports, and airfields have been enlarged.

I'll be posting my replays from the last version soon. Thank you for the donations and support (especially from Radoye :yes , I couldn't get the map editing done without you). Please provide more suggestions :bonk .

Oct 22 20
+- Red AT def
+- Inc Inf Def

+- Modded Ardennes in Low Countries

Oct 21 20
+- Correct fuel errors for us bombers
+- Add short/mid rng art
+- Red spot for low fliers
+- Update fighter stats
+- AT to Inf class :rip
+- strngpt ini inc
+-inc pric of c17k18
+-dec dmg of c15k18

+- Add spotters for art on mosc
+- Mega add inf nearby Vic Hexes
+- Inc Sub Count
+- Add Exp Enemies
+- Change AA to AD for Russians
+- Add Late scenario pres award to allies
+- Delay Pres Low Countries

+- Rmv inter-scenario e-replacements :rip

Not to Do:
- Add "have air transport" stat (Beyond my ability at the moment; requires better coding understanding)

PGF 1.02 +Total War/Mega Poland (8mb):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo4pxe5vj0411 ... a.zip?dl=0

WIZZELKIN
Private
Private

Post by WIZZELKIN » 2020-11-21 19:51, Saturday

This is a great new interpretation that plays really differently. However I think the prestige allocations for the AI are out of whack. For example there are serveral turns in the Low Countries and France scenarios where the AI receives several thousand points. On the other hand, the player is receiving almost no points for destroying units or even when capturing victory hexes. I can't even tell if the AI is paying full costs for units. However it comes about the net effect of the AI being able to produce a dozen Char-B tanks every few turns makes the scenarios unwinnable. It looks like this overabundance of points on the AI side persists in later scenarios as well.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2020-11-22 18:19, Sunday

Are you playing campaign or individual scenarios? The mod is designed for campaign play only so far. In the campaign the player starts with 25k in poland.

My goal was to make the campaign barely winnable for myself , so that D-day and other scenarios were more likely to be played.

I could release an easier version with reduced prestige for the AI, reduce unit count, or increase the interval at which the AI buys units. Ill get around to that next but i wanted to play through just a lil further. Im barely at the Norway scenario.

Would you be able to post your replays in the discord?

WIZZELKIN
Private
Private

Post by WIZZELKIN » 2020-11-23 01:10, Monday

I was playing the campaign, with about 100 units built and maintained through Poland and Norway. There were a lot of top end French tanks being built. I killed the entire Belgian and French airforce and seemed to get very few points for it. Likewise when capturing objectives - very little prestige collected. From a historical point of view, it was as if France did a full forward deployment of all its armor and other resources. I obtained a minor win, at a lost of an appreciable amount of my unit's strengths. In the Low Countries it was difficult to rebuild units, much less replacements due to lack of prestige points, but it was possible to slog through. The forward French deployment of heavy assets is historically plausible. But if they lost all their forward deployments, this wuld have left them very hollowed out and lacking resources by the time the Germans hit France. But in the France scenario, the Axis are in a position of depleted units and few points, and are hit by several waves of newly built Char-B tanks (perhaps 30 Char-B tanks total?) and in total perhaps 35+ aircraft. I don't think it matches what they would have availble historically. No automatic rebuilding unit strengths between scenarios really cripples the Axis. That makes the lack of ability to gain new prestige points really crippling. I doubt it is possible to proceed beyond the France scenario without cheating (e.g. using cheat codes to add substantial prestige to the Axis). Perhaps I should have built fewer units at the start and saved prestige from the game start for unit rebuilds, upgrades and replacements in later scenarios. I can see that might have helped. But it may be the prestige settings merit some adjustment.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2020-11-24 20:39, Tuesday

Thanks for the reply.

I may also simply increase prestige award for the victories to offset the battle losses, but i'm still making my way to France to check my results.

The on map unit counts are based off of Wikipedia estimates (except for mega Poland), but with some difficulty added by allowing the AI to purchase more units. I may reduce both Axis and ally prestige to make the game more true to history, but that will be another campaign version added later.

WIZZELKIN
Private
Private

Post by WIZZELKIN » 2020-11-26 06:05, Thursday

You asked if I could post my replays in Discord. I just figured out how to generate the replay file for my play of the Low Countries scenario. I've just signed up for Discord, but don't know where or how to post it, so I've posted it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/127HUu7 ... sp=sharing

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2020-11-26 06:15, Thursday

Thank you, If you have the discord client you just drag and drop. I cant remember how it works for the browser version; it may be impossible.

I only got through turn 1 of the replay and then it crashed. Our game versions may be a bit different.

WIZZELKIN
Private
Private

Post by WIZZELKIN » 2020-11-26 19:24, Thursday

I'm running PGF 1.02 +Total War/Mega Poland (8mb), downloaded from your link above. For me the replay file crashes part way through turn 2 as well, so I guess it just won't work. Reason unknown.

WIZZELKIN
Private
Private

Post by WIZZELKIN » 2020-12-04 01:49, Friday

I've played through the early scenarios a couple more times and now find the current prestige structure actually does work. The games seem winable, but only if one really changes style vs. how one might play the traditional PGF campaigns. For me the key seemed to be to save out 15000 prestige from the original mega Poland setup, only rarely spending on expert experience for unit rebuilds, and building a much bigger fighter force than I normally would use. This led to a major win in Low Countries, minor in France, and a major in the Balkans scenario, with a reserve of 5200 prestige going into the next scenario. In summary, great setup, very different, very interesting, and very playable if one works at it.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2020-12-04 02:05, Friday

Nice, you figured it out :yes

I go with a 1-2k prestige reserve and I use elite replacements once a unit has 1 star or comes close. I recommend purchasing as many units as you can in the Poland Brief scenario, because units purchased there receive extra initiative.

The briefings list the expected enemy forces P for planes, N for Navy, T for tanks, I for Infantry and G for guns (arty and AT).

I'm playing Low countries at the moment and so far I have loss 2 artillery and 1 infantry (all in Norway from naval artillery)

The Russian scenarios should be even worse than what you experienced so far.

I'll probably reduce prestige further in the next version for myself.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2021-04-23 05:28, Friday

Apr 21 21
+ red rus inf
+ inc tk3 Adef
+ Red Jgr-Nash 1 ini
+ Red rcn Ini
+ Rename Panzerjaeger 38(t) to jadgzpz 38/70 (mit 75mm L/70 )
-- Red Def to 10 and Mvmnt to 3
+ Rdc SP cost and AA
+ Add fuel to transport planes

+ AA to AD Sealion
+Pres -10k
+ push back barb Ally pres
+ Inc Ini p51 n p47

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo4pxe5vj0411 ... a.zip?dl=0
+ EQP Fix
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ment.pgeqp

Fid
Private
Private

Post by Fid » 2021-05-29 01:56, Saturday

Are there any graphics settings to this? For example while the first scenario does fill my entire screen at a high resolution, the first combat map (Poland) is small and surrounded by a lot of black space. Is there a way to expand the combat map and eliminate all of the black space?

I am getting old and I like big icons.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2021-05-29 06:40, Saturday

Fid wrote:
2021-05-29 01:56, Saturday
Are there any graphics settings to this? For example while the first scenario does fill my entire screen at a high resolution, the first combat map (Poland) is small and surrounded by a lot of black space. Is there a way to expand the combat map and eliminate all of the black space?

I am getting old and I like big icons.
You can change your desktop resolution or scale in your windows 10 display settings (simply right click on your desktop), or Map editor would have to be used in order to edit the game and add the hexes for the black space.

Have you tried 1939 mega? No black spaces there.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2021-11-18 09:27, Thursday

Update Released! :uzi

Almost perfect.

Oct 20 21
- Horse transports fuel set to unlimited
- plane spotting rdc 1
- tank air def inc 1
- More infantry and recon added and tanks reduced to match historic estimates
- 1939 mega historic campaign added which includes a preset military

PGF 1.02 +Total War/Mega Poland (8mb):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzbvonfh2hts5 ... a.zip?dl=0

Next I will be testing out a version with a unit count similar to vanilla.
Also, I'll be adding captured units

Lettos
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Lettos » 2024-03-01 19:11, Friday

Thanks for the Campaign!

Mega Poland's scenario is excellent! Great idea to make a large map that allows for "multidirectionality" in attacks! :cool
The idea of giving artillery a more meaningful role works very well!

Are you continuing to work on the Campaign?

I've played Mega-Poland, Norway, LC and half of France.
I would have done better the second time around. But as it was, it was a pretty good game. I think I'd end up in France with about 4000 PP.
I don't know if this amount is enough for further upgrades. My CORE composition - 11 INF, 12 Tanks, 4 Recons, 11 ARTY, 12 Fighters, 8 TacBombers, 4 Level Bombers, and all navy set as on start.

I liked the idea of including the fleet in Core a lot! :cool
Since I don't know how useful the ships will be in the future, I repaired them (spent about 1000 PP on this, only non-elite replacements).

Scenario Norway gives a lot of PP, about 5000-6000. I could have bought some more units for Core for about 3000-4000 PP, but since I don't know if I'll need a stock of PP in the future, I kept these PP in reserve.
By the way, the Norway scenario can also be lost without any noticeable loss to the resulting PPs.
That's what I decided by playing. Started quietly destroying a very expensive AI fleet. This required capturing Stavanger and the airfield. And then... even won MINOR. :doh :)

Wish-list:

More varied unit icons for AI AA/AD, player's artillery and Tac Bombers/Level bombers. I would like He 111(and Ju 88A) Tac to be different from Level Bombers; different icons for ARTY (although Flak 8.8 is mostly used in the game).

Minor technical issues:

MAJ Victory cost is 500, but MIN Victory cost is 575. Is that the way it's meant to be?

Code: Select all

PolBrf2	0201.pgbrf	PolBrf2	Poland	500	0006.pgbrf	Poland	575	0007.pgbrf	END	0	0004.pgbrf
PolBrf	0201.pgbrf	PolBrf	Poland	500	0006.pgbrf	Poland	575	0007.pgbrf	END	0	0004.pgbrf
Some units in LC, France, Barbarossa (and may be also in some others?) scenarios are placed on first(upper) or last(bottom) Unused hex rows on map.
In Low Countries: (39:0), (5:25).
Deployment hex (15:0) in France scenario in Ocean placed on upper hex row too. Bottom row 47. Is that the way it's meant to be? :dunno

In Low Countries Briefing incorrect info about AI Planes in scenario, 30 instead of 8:

Code: Select all

G: 42
I: 32
P: 30
N: 5</p>
Thanks again, and best wishes for more success! :howdy :)
--War in History Campaign (WiH)-- Aut non tentaris aut perfice.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2024-03-01 23:32, Friday

Lettos wrote:
2024-03-01 19:11, Friday
Thanks for the Campaign!
Thanks again, and best wishes for more success! :howdy :)
Hey Lettos
:cool

Someone else here on the forum made the Mega Poland map and it's awesome.
I believe I made some adjustments to unit placement.

Good to hear you like the artillery adjustments, I remember someone saying I turned the game into "Artillery General" :D

It's been a year since I've made any adjustments. I was thinking about starting up again, but my efforts were going to be focused on cutting back on the unit count. If I do, it will take some time to relearn how to modify the game.

France is as far as I got in this current version. At that point I realized I may have put too many units on the map :D I tried to match realistic numbers, but chose the wrong scale :D You're going to have to find out if 4k pp is enough. Lately I've been playing PG with only the EQP from total war.

:cool I'm glad you're enjoying it.

There's thousands of icons in different packets listed here on the forum. I have a few of the files, but my mod was focused on the mechanics of the game. At a later time I may work on the looks of the game. You could probably get some of the Icons if you search for "AGW" or "Rubberduck" here on the forum or on the internet

575 may be an error or may have been to help players that are struggling, but I can't remember.

Can the units move from those hexes?

You are correct about the plane count. There's probably other misleading info on the briefings which describe older versions of my mod. I think I didn't have time to correct the info and realized it makes the game a bit more realistic to provide bad intel, sometimes, ha.

If I start up on modding again, I'll post on the "updates" section of the discord: https://discord.com/channels/3547016497 ... 8136717343

Thanks for the feedback and take care.

Lettos
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Lettos » 2024-03-02 05:06, Saturday

newavenriquez wrote:
2024-03-01 23:32, Friday
Someone else here on the forum made the Mega Poland map and it's awesome.
I believe I made some adjustments to unit placement.
In this scenario, you've managed to create some interesting intrigue and battle tension by setting up Offensive tactics for the AI!
newavenriquez wrote:
Can the units move from those hexes?
Yes, they can move. But static AD in LC can't be attacked.
newavenriquez wrote:
<...> and realized it makes the game a bit more realistic to provide bad intel, sometimes, ha.
:lol
newavenriquez wrote:
If I start up on modding again, I'll post on the "updates" section of the discord: https://discord.com/channels/3547016497 ... 8136717343
:yes :howdy
--War in History Campaign (WiH)-- Aut non tentaris aut perfice.

newavenriquez
Private
Private

Post by newavenriquez » 2024-03-02 05:23, Saturday

Feel free to make a list of suggestions. I might have time in a month to start modifying the game again. I wouldn't get too detailed though because there is a chance I won't have time.

Looks like I only added 4 victory hexes to mega Poland and designed the "historic" preset army for the Germans.

That AD bugging you? :lol I'll put it on my list.

:howdy