alternative flags accepted by german strafgesetzbuch 86a

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.

please chooose 1-1 flag for third reich and waffen ss

Poll ended at 2019-10-31 07:33, Thursday

third reich: red flag with balkenkreuz
46%
third reich: reichskriegsflagge with blurred swastika
8%
waffen ss: black flag with balkenkreuz
46%
waffen ss: black flag with fictional shield
No votes

Total votes: 13

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

alternative flags accepted by german strafgesetzbuch 86a

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-13 07:33, Sunday

dear german players

i know the law of your country is very strict about using any symbols related to the nazi era, and plenty of efiles use flags which make you impossible to upload screenshots to a german file hosting site. however, it's not a big deal to create alternate flags for each efiles, a simple linux script can do it. so please vote, which flags do you prefer. i'd like to ask players living elsewhere to not vote

EDIT: just to be clear: i don't want to change the original efiles, i want to create an alternate flag collections downloadable for german players :) though the nazi (and somewhere the communist) symbols are forbidden in several european countires too, but the usage for historical games are usually allowed, so the original efiles wouldn't be touched

a) candidates for the third reich:

b) candidates for waffen ss:

»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

Kessler
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: alternative flags accepted by german strafgesetzbuch 86a

Post by Kessler » 2019-10-15 17:23, Tuesday

In some E-Files is also in finnland a "bad symbol" for leaders. For the OG-Download in the PL, I must fix them too.

sympatyk
Major
Major

Post by sympatyk » 2019-10-16 18:38, Wednesday

Kessler wrote:
2019-10-15 17:23, Tuesday
In some E-Files is also in finnland a "bad symbol" for leaders. For the OG-Download in the PL, I must fix them too.
:howdy
New files with leaders / commanders
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t6IdN_ ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14RbQ2V ... sp=sharing

Kessler
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kessler » 2019-10-17 17:33, Thursday

Thank you :yes :yes

I mean the finland roundel

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-31 16:26, Thursday

so the poll ended, you chose the balkenkreuz versions for both flags. i have already made 24 medium flagsets (which means 90 efiles in repo, pg2 and cc packs), hopefully the small flags will be ready today too

i didn't ask you about roundels, because there weren't too much choices for german and finnish roundels, i just add the alternate versions to the pack

( i really don't want to start any political debates, i'm just really wonder that nobody asked to remove the flags, roundels using red star and hammer & sickle, though they are forbidden too, but clearly not persecuted as vehemently as the nazi symbols :whatever though please don't tell me to replace the bolshevik symbols too, this whole issue is :loco enough )

anyway, hopefully i can post the link of the alternate flag + roundel pack here tomorrow

only two efiles aren't part of the pack: oob, and lxf: both have several "exotic" nations and i haven't added all of them to the database (which is used my scripts to auto-generate the png files)
efiles:

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2019-10-31 17:00, Thursday

Thanks for your work. I hope some people will use it :ihope That makes things easier.
Though there is no problem with Hammer and Sickle in Germany afaik. Are these forbidden symbols in some countries? I didn't knew that.
Are Hammer and Sickle forbidden in Hungary?

EDIT: I read at wikipedia that hammer and sickle are banned in some former communist countries or some countries where communism is prohibited by law.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2019-10-31 20:50, Thursday

No idea Randowe. i don't care about symbols i'm only pro giving back historical street names and symbols (eagle vs. star) back to where they were originally. Other folks loving Lenin not Nick 2 (for example) should have their streets in newer parts of city if desired etc. but that's just purely btw not related to German, more personally to Lvjtn....

sorry to ask (here) Csaba but you gave me good "schlagwort" above and again must ask - while one can assume that some political subject can be raised in the pub, i just wonder what's exactly with any historical subsection. You know i was away for long and maybe something happened to change climate... in short, just because it died out or generally better without it ;) idk, to me it was helpful and some are even self proclaimed historians but i think it is just waste as there is no interest, guess? privately if you wish, not important

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-31 22:19, Thursday

anyway, the package has been commited to the repo, it will be available tomorrow morning (nov. 1, 2019, gmt/cet) here: http://www.open-general.com/installer-spec.php

----

/off
randowe wrote:
2019-10-31 17:00, Thursday
Are Hammer and Sickle forbidden in Hungary?

EDIT: I read at wikipedia that hammer and sickle are banned in some former communist countries or some countries where communism is prohibited by law.
to be honest, the hungarian law is not az crazy than the german: you can play computer games showing the forbidden symbols, you can buy the classic 1:32 airplane models with red star/swastika on their tails, you can watch any tv series shoing these symbols (like my all time favorite show: 'allo! 'allo!), etc. so basically you can't wave a flag with these symbols on the streets or using them as logo for your party, company, sport club, etc. iirc. the polish law is a bit stircter than the hungarian (btw. wiki is absolutely wrong this law wasn't cancelled in hungary in 2013, only the red star was removed this list, so much about wiki :whatever )
/off off

----

/off2
Ale wrote:
2019-10-31 20:50, Thursday
while one can assume that some political subject can be raised in the pub, i just wonder what's exactly with any historical subsection.
the original goal was creating much less subsections than we had on jp. personally, i usually discuss history when drinking wine with my friends, so i can't imagine a better place for these threads than in pub. yes, you can say, it's a bit judgy point of view, but imo it's correct: people shouldn't take the history and political issues too seriously: we know so few, most historical "facts" can be interpreted in several ways (once i visited a seminar about the tax laws in the turkish occupied hungarian kingdom, and there were very heated discussions about the factors affecting these laws :thud and i thought these lessons would be boring quantitative analisyses :lol ), maybe a pub can be a more tolerant place than university auditoriums :ihope to be more serious: on jp the most historical threads are locked and/or dead for years, imo the few interesting topics can be raised in the pub (after all, its description indicates that we can also post "interesting" things there )
/off off2
efiles:

campaigns:

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2019-11-01 14:33, Friday

alright Csaba, good enough for me i.e. pub for history if I ever find anything interesting to ask or share... looking around JP's few last months even if it's separated it would have no effect in reality as nothing is going on anyway. I regret but it's reality... However I personally do not take everything so lightly and there are interesting things and facts one can always catch and discuss. But I'm also excited and interested in volcanology and read works till today (great passion and interest, no sarcasm). But realistically who around would say something about wrong scientific assumptions about Vesuvius state :lol In that regard, as we are international here and not in a Hungarian pub and serious men - no disrespect to man I called Nick 2, personally i'd die for him (and Tatyana)...

you cleared that for me and i really appreciate the honest answer even though i dislike situation as is, had to know exactly and directly, in wrong place though but not bad at all knowing things like your answer to Clemens. over and out.

Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Major Heinz » 2019-11-02 22:40, Saturday

:cool Great Job. But I have another Question. Are there any Efiles which are using Icons with Nazi Flags (eg Tanks), SS Runes or other forbidden stuff like this? I have to Keep this in mind too, because my AARs are taking place on Youtube :lol
Only to know which Efiles I should not play on Youtube.

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2019-11-02 23:22, Saturday

As far as i remember:
- AdlerKorps and OpenAK
- BaseKorps

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-11-03 10:46, Sunday

Major Heinz wrote:
2019-11-02 22:40, Saturday
Are there any Efiles which are using Icons with Nazi Flags (eg Tanks), SS Runes or other forbidden stuff like this?
the short answer is no. you can use any efiles safely

the longer answer is that there are tanks with flags on the top of them, but the swastika is absolutely not recognizable, just a few red and black pixels. see:

of course, if you are paranoid, you can check all efiles with suite, but it's a huge work, and imo it's absolutely not necessary: these icons are safe. after all, a german icon maker made them ;)
efiles:

campaigns:

Major Heinz
Kadet
Kadet

Post by Major Heinz » 2019-11-03 22:38, Sunday

Ok, thanks to your answer :cool

mythos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mythos » 2019-11-05 18:16, Tuesday

lvjtn wrote:
2019-10-31 22:19, Thursday
anyway, the package has been commited to the repo, it will be available tomorrow morning (nov. 1, 2019, gmt/cet) here: http://www.open-general.com/installer-spec.php
:clap awesome :banana thank you :bow