Help with national names

Tips and tricks for the designers, playtests.

Moderator: Wonderdoctor

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Help with national names

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-02-01 06:09, Saturday

Who can help with national names for "Scout Infantry (Scout Infantry x2)" icons ?
Belgium
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Hungary
Romania
Bulgaria
Serbia
Croatia
Slovakia
Czechia
Greece
Lithuania
Latvia
Estonia
China
Ethiopia
Thailand
Indonesia
Turkey
Iraq
Iran

The respective names for another countries are welcom! :notworthy
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Re: Help with national names

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-02-02 05:29, Sunday

Belgium - If using Dutch terminology for units: Verkenners. If using French terminology for units: Voltigeurs.
Netherlands - Verkenners.
Doc,I think it is your answer. But you probably by mistake edited my post and deleted the list of countries... :)

Voltigeurs... Oh, well-known name! It means the class of light elite infantry of the Napoleonic wars era for me :wink BTW: Csaba uses "Eclaireurs" for the French in the description.
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Ale
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Ale » 2020-02-02 10:53, Sunday

:) was about to answer yesterday... anyway, as i once wrote in Juankar thread about bridging infantry (i.e. "pontoniri" as used term ) not everything was translated in various eras, talking for Serbia. If you mean as military unit for specific role/duty then answer is "izviđačka pešadija" i.e. "izvidjachka peshadija" without specific letters. "izvidnica" or "patrola" was used shortly.... but "translation" of "scouts" is "skauti" as separate organization and form much easier to shout out in need.

hope it helps, nothing to add while maybe misunderstood the question as you said "icons" )

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2020-02-02 21:58, Sunday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-02-02 05:29, Sunday
Belgium - If using Dutch terminology for units: Verkenners. If using French terminology for units: Voltigeurs.
Netherlands - Verkenners.
Doc,I think it is your answer. But you probably by mistake edited my post and deleted the list of countries... :)

Voltigeurs... Oh, well-known name! It means the class of light elite infantry of the Napoleonic wars era for me :wink BTW: Csaba uses "Eclaireurs" for the French in the description.
Oops, sorry for that.

About the names.
Taken from this (official Belgian military) website, taking about a platoon of recon infantry: https://www.mil.be/nl/videos/soldaat-verkenner

FR version: Vous opérez en toute discrétion et vous faites partie d’un peloton de voltigeurs.
NL version: Je werkt in alle discretie en maakt deel uit van een peloton verkenners.

Bombast the Blue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bombast the Blue » 2020-02-23 20:40, Sunday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-02-01 06:09, Saturday
The respective names for another countries are welcom! :notworthy
You mean countries besides those on the list, like Portugal?

To start with, if you go by etymology you get bogged down very quickly in the Portuguese case.
The Portuguese form of "scout" would be "escuteiro".
Keeping it simple by mentioning only its concrete use we would be talking very specifically about boy/girl scouts, the youth organisation thing.

More in the military field, we stumble upon another obstacle because, not being a military historian but having read more than 0 about the issue, I'd say that the Portuguese military kept a consistent tradition of entrusting recon duties to cavalry units, at least in doctrine. And you're looking for infantry.

That leaves us with light infantry as the closest and those were called much more often than not: "caçadores" (with that little comma like you may find in some French words under the second c)
In English it means "hunters", in Deutsch, "jäegers"...

Portuguese wiki article on "Caçador militar"
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca%C3%A7ador_(militar)
Special note for the napoleonic era "caçador" in the first picture with its brown uniform, practically camouflage if we consider those times.
Scrolling down there are two photos of Portuguese Army and Air Force "caçadores" during the African colonial wars of the 60s/70s.
First photo shows "caçadores especiais" (especiais = special) in Angola, informally known by the American designation "Rangers".
The Air Force "caçadores" in the second photo were actually paratroops by training and named "caçadores paraquedistas", so cousins of the Fallschirmjäger.
Both were elite troops but there were also regular and native units using the name "caçadores".

Parabellum
Captain
Captain

Post by Parabellum » 2020-02-24 08:18, Monday

Bombast the Blue wrote:
2020-02-23 20:40, Sunday
In English it means "hunters", in Deutsch, "jäegers"...
A little hint: This word is not correct because there is no combination of "ä" and "e" in the German language.
It is correct: "Der Jäger" (singular) or "Die Jäger" (plural).
If you do not have an "ä" on the keyboard, you can alternatively use the word combination "ae" - Jaeger.

edit: see also https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca%C3%A7a ... 9#Alemanha
Completed CCs: 1x4, 2x5, 3x3, 4, 5x3, 6, 7x2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17x2, 18x3, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56x3, 57, 58, 59, 60x3, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67x2, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72x2, 73, 74, 75x2, 76x5, MTC I
Completed CCCs: #8

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Post by lvjtn » 2020-02-24 21:49, Monday

hungarian term is "felderítő gyalogság"

"ő" is not supported by latin-1 codepage what opengen uses, so you can use one of this:

felderítö gyalogság
felderítõ gyalogság

edit: in my efiles i used the national terms coming mostly from kaiser
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-03-10 17:33, Tuesday

:howdy Please, what is the Russian term used for Ski Infantry/Skiers/Ski-Troops?
Something like this: strelki na lyzhakh? pekhota na lyzhakh?
In German they are called Skijäger.
Image Slava Ukraini!