Replacing gplay1 and similiar files

Discussing the game, editor (Suite) and the related tools.
craigmiller
Major
Major

Replacing gplay1 and similiar files

Post by craigmiller » 2020-02-29 06:14, Saturday

OpenGen says it is playing the gplay1 file in my sound folder, but when I replace it with a different file the music stays the same. Also when I click on the Browse button next to the Gplay 1 entry, it opens the SOUND folder but does not show any of the mp3 files which are there, as seen by Windows Explorer.
What I want to do is choose the music that plays during the game. and sometimes choose a file with no sound (recorded as very low levels) so after a victory I can hear the after victory files and hear the start files for the next scenario. The associated text files display fine.
Suggestions welcomed!
Craig Miller :huh

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

Re: Replacing gplay1 and similiar files

Post by lvjtn » 2020-02-29 06:19, Saturday

:welcome on the new forum, Craig!

to help Luis in answering your question: would you share the version number of the opengen and suite release what you use?
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

craigmiller
Major
Major

Post by craigmiller » 2020-03-09 00:44, Monday

I am using versions
Open Gen 0.93.3.0
Suite 2.0.72.14
Other than this music file problem everything seems to work fine
Craig Miller

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2020-03-10 22:07, Tuesday

first of all, i never used sound, so i'm not an expert, i just try to answer till Luis has some time to reply

1. for me, it's not obvious, what do you mean about "my sound folder". there is a main sound folder in the root of the game, and each efiles can have their own local sound folders. the local folder is checked first. see the "music" section on Luis' site. be sure you use your local efile folder for customization

2. it's also not clear for me, what do you mean about "when I replace it": do you overwrite the gplay1.mp3 by another file having the same name, or do you edit the scenario in suite or something else?

3. i checked the music file selection in suite, and it works for me

are you sure, your music files are placed into the local sound folder? are these files readable? where is your opengen installed? there are some folders what shouldn't be used, see this hint from our site:
When selecting the installation folder, you should avoid special Windows folders like “Documents”, “Programs Files”, “Users” or similar, as later you won’t be able to add new stuff or even save your savegames. The recommended installation folder is “C:\OpenGen”.
sorry, that's all what came into my mind, i hope you can figure out what went wrong for you
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

craigmiller
Major
Major

Post by craigmiller » 2020-04-22 04:57, Wednesday

Thanks Ivtjn,
I think I finally solved my problem. The gplay1 and gplay2 files were not in the main OpenGen Sound folder, but in my EFile_GrtEurUK/Sound folder. There are many mp3 files - original scenario, campaign sound files plus some custom ones in that folder.. In the main OpenGen Sound folder there are weather sounds and the INtro. When when I open the Media Settings it shows Default Music 1as GPLay1, but if I click on the folder icon it opens in the main OpenGen Sound folder and shows only the gplay1 files, no other file. Similarly for the gplay 2 file. I apparently solved the problem by having the gplay1 and 2 files in both SOund folders. So now that I have blank (very low level recording) gplay files in both folders I can hear the campaign sound files with no background music. :huh