ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Tips and tricks for the designers, playtests.

Moderator: Wonderdoctor

lvjtn
General, VII. Upper Danubian Corps

ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Post by lvjtn » 2019-09-20 22:17, Friday

How to for Icon Makers

(last modified: october 8, 2019)

0. How can I contribute in improving OpenIcons database?
- You can make icons and/or you can fix the description database. Both activities are warmly welcomed. Even the most beautiful icon is useless without a good description.

1. What rules do i have to keep in my mind when making an icon?

a) accepted formats:
- Since the latest OpenGen doesn't support SHP anymore, only the 8 or 24-bit PNG files are accepted. You can use the highest resolution; before adding the new icons to the repository, they are optimized, which means that all unused colors and palettes are dropped and the compression is still lossles (though you should reconvert an existing PNG to 24-bit before you want to modify it).

b) accepted size:
- The default 3x3 icon size is 240x150 pixel, a single image is 80x50. This is the best size for the game engine. Those icons which are smaller than 240x150 will be drawn as "one face" (single image) icons. Icons can be larger than 240x150 (though they overlap each others in Open General), but both axes should be divisible by 3

c) accepted content:
- Any new icons should respect the copyright laws, so it should be your own work completely or a modification of an existing user made icon. Icons or their derivatives made by a company (especially: profit-oriented) won't be added to the OpenIcons. All unauthorized icons will be removed or replaced.

d) naming restirctions:
- Before making any new icon, please, be sure you have got your own reserved initial (2-3 letters). If you haven't got your unique initial, please ask for it in this thread. All of your icons should have a name starting with your initial. The total icon name shouldn't be longer than 5 digits. Icon makers use typically a combination of two alphabetical + three alphanumerical charactar like "ZYW08". Only ASCII characters are accepted. The icon name should be unique.

2. How can i add a new icon to OpenIcons?
- Send your finished icon and its detailed description to the OpenGen team member who is responsible for uploading the new files. Now (September 2019) lvjtn (aka Csaba) is this "uploader" guy ( lvjtn9 /at/ gmail /dot/ com )

3. What is this "detailed description"?
- A complete description contains these data: icon id (the five-digit unique filename), the name of the icon (also known as description), color, icon class (aka type of the unit), nation (including the period too), chassis (except for ships, towed and infantry), icon style and the author of the icon. We try to standardize all these fields. Hopefully the standards help to search and/or fix anything more easily. If you have a better idea about standards, don't hesitate to share your concept on OG Forums.

a) Unique ID (IconID): the capitalized name of your icon without the extension.

b) Description (name): it is the most important field. No icon without a description will be added! Try to create as accurate and detailed description as possible. "Pz IIIN" is bad, "Panzerkampfwagen (PzKw) III Ausf. N (SdKfz 141/2) + Schürzen (side armor) (mod. PA118)" is good. As you can see, the descripton field is the place where you can put a link if your icon is a modification of another one. Please, never forget to add this info. It's an easy and cheap way to express your appreciation to the author of the original icon.

c) Color (IconColor): it's impossible to standardize colors easily, just do your best. Current color items can be your templates. There is only one strict standard: all winter camo ("snow", "white", "winter") are described as "winter". Only Japanese fighters and a few 19th century infantry are "white".

d) Class (IconClass): it's the most standardized data field so far. Types are close to the PG2/OpenGen classes but they are more detailed, e.g. propulsion or subclass is also mentioned like this: "Fighter (jet) (seaplane)".

e) Nation: it's a combination of the standarized period and the name of the country, faction, etc. We use these periods currently: Antique (A.D. 0 - 500), 1700 (1700-1799), 1800 (1800-1899), WW1 (1900-1929), WW2 (1930-1946), Cold War (1945-1999), 2000 (2000-2099), Fantasy. Sometimes an icon (e.g. a terrain layer, fortification) belongs to more than one period, than the periods are separated by a slash ( / ) like this: "WW1/WW2/Cold War All Nations". You can add a faction if it makes the icon description more precise, e.g. "WW2 USA Marine (USMC)". When a vehicle doesn't have a painted insignia, it is recognized as an "All Nations" icon, no matter that only one nation used it.

f) Chassis: it is used for better identification of the vehicles and planes. Efile makers can be glad to know which units should have similar fuel, defense, etc. stats. Search for "M3 APC" or "Pz IV" to see how many different units have the same chassis.

g) Style (IconStyle): just like the color data, it hasn't been fully standardized yet. Though you can find the most frequent styles like: "Pat", "Juankar", "Yakobinets", "Devore-Linlaud", etc.

h) Author: the creator of the icon, it's not necessary to add it to the csv/xls what you send, it should be obvious (from the initial of your icons and your email address)

+1) Encoding rules: all fields are stored in unicode (UTF-8), though only latin-based alphabeths are used. Some special characters are forbidden to use in the description text. These are: comma ( , ), semicolon ( ; ), and apostrophe ( ' ). To separate the text fields in your csv file, you can use either comma or semicolon but not both. If you prefer making xls file, no need to worry about the separator.

4. How can I add a new description or fix/modify existing records?
- The OpenIcons database is stored in MySQL tables. Only the "uploader" OpenGen team member (see above) can edit an existing record, so don't mind if you don't know what exactly SQL is, just send him/her what you get. A very common spreadsheet (CSV or XLS are preferred) is perfect to store and share your descriptions. If you make a new record, try to fill all fields, if you send a fix, only the IconID is mandatory and any other field you want to improve.

5. Is it a strict connection between images and descriptions?
- In the past, the connection was chaotic. Images with the same shape had completely different descriptions and very different images belonged to the same description. The PG2 datup makers and the OpenIcons maintainers spent hundred of hours to clean the mess, though lots of inconsistency can be found in the database. Just try no to make more troubles than we already have.

+1. Can I get those icons which have been deleted from the official OpenIcons.dat since 2015?
- As the max number of icons is limited, some unused or legally questionable icons were removed in the past years. If you need any of these icons, you can find them in older releases. (However, you are asked to not use the deleted icons for making your new icons.):

1. panzer2.dat
2. openicons.dat
  • OpenIcons.dat (7-nov-2013) - no shp are converted to png in this release, and only the 306 ssi pg2 icons are replaced
  • OpenIcons.dat (8-aug-2015) - the last "complete" opengen dat file, but >1700 ssi-styles icons are already replaced or removed
  • OpenIcons-alt.dat (20-may-2017) – the last "old style" openicons file, in which no previously existed inf / cav / moto / cyclist icons are replaced, though many of the new ones (e.g. cold war) are added
3. peg dat files
»my real name is csaba (tʃɒbɒ)«
efiles:
Image Image Image Image Image

campaigns:

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Icons: Icon making - please read first post

Post by randowe » 2019-09-24 10:59, Tuesday

It took me one year to make these two dozen icons :lol Actually they are all modifications of existing icons. It would be nice if they would be included in the official openicons.dat file so i can use them in my efile. It is not urgend, please take your time. It doesn't mater much if i add the icons next month or in december. I will send a email with all picture files + csv table soon. Thanks :howdy

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Image Slava Ukraini!

lvjtn

Re: Icons: Icon making - please read first post!

Post by lvjtn » 2019-09-30 07:43, Monday

sorry guys, the scheduled release is delayed to 5/6 october (this weekend). there are other elements of the opengen repository waiting to be updated within days and we also work hard on the new forum, that's the reason behind it

thanks for your patience!
efiles:

campaigns:

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-10-06 10:52, Sunday

Here are some icons I just made for Open General
ZYX40/20 Regular Infantry/Sand/Regular Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-06 11:11, Sunday

Bill9801 wrote:
2019-10-06 10:52, Sunday
(...)
ZYX40
:nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet A VERY BIG NO!!!!

:bullhorn read that freaking first post please :thud

- zy is reserved for von Schweinewitz, you can't just use iconid what you like
- posting files here is not the accepted way to send finished icons
efiles:

campaigns:

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-10-06 11:20, Sunday

ZYX41/30 Regular Infantry/Sand/Regular Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh
ZYX42/20 Guards/Sand/Elite Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh
ZYX43/30 Guards/Sand/Elite Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh
ZYX44/43 Regular Infantry/Sand/Regular Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh
ZYX45/43 Guards/Sand/Elite Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh
ZYX46/20 Kempeitai/Sand/Militia Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh
ZYX47/43 Kempeitai/Sand/Militia Infantry/WW2 Japan/default/Williamqjh

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-10-06 11:25, Sunday

lvjtn wrote:
2019-10-06 11:11, Sunday
Bill9801 wrote:
2019-10-06 10:52, Sunday
(...)
ZYX40
:nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet :nyet A VERY BIG NO!!!!

:bullhorn read that freaking first post please :thud

- zy is reserved for von Schweinewitz, you can't just use iconid what you like
- posting files here is not the accepted way to send finished icons
Okay...Really apologize for that...

von Schweinewitz
Captain
Captain

Post by von Schweinewitz » 2019-10-06 14:36, Sunday

Apart from that ... from what I can see your icons are looking good.

Welcome on board, Bill! :hello

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-06 16:16, Sunday

:howdy Bill,
i've checked, and these initials starting with “w” are already taken
WA
WB
WD
WR
WW
you can pick up any other combination like WH*, WI*, WJ*, WQ* (based on your name) or whatever else you want starting with W* if you prefer another starting letter, just let me know, and i post the free slots

if you can send me the new icons within a day, i can delay the next release containing the latest ra* icons, if not, it's not a problem, we will release again soon one or two efile(s), so icons can be added

+1 i also add some more ww1 inf templates made by Juankar, but i'dl like to finish a few ww2 inf belonging to minor nations before adding their templates
efiles:

campaigns:

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-10-06 16:36, Sunday

lvjtn wrote:
2019-10-06 16:16, Sunday
:howdy Bill,
i've checked, and these initials starting with “w” are already taken
WA
WB
WD
WR
WW
you can pick up any other combination like WH*, WI*, WJ*, WQ* (based on your name) or whatever else you want starting with W* if you prefer another starting letter, just let me know, and i post the free slots

if you can send me the new icons within a day, i can delay the next release containing the latest ra* icons, if not, it's not a problem, we will release again soon one or two efile(s), so icons can be added

+1 i also add some more ww1 inf templates made by Juankar, but i'dl like to finish a few ww2 inf belonging to minor nations before adding their templates
Hello, thanks for your kindness, I do believe I will send you those new icons maybe next time.
Because they're not finished yet.
I may need some more templates to finish the rest of my works, it includes the templates of WW2 Romania and USA, and WW1 Greece and Protagul.
And one more request, is that possible to have a independent icon of "radio" from the back of the HQ infantry, it would be nice to have it.
My plan is to finish some Japanese Navy WW2 Icons and WW2 Chinese Icons for the Pacific campaigns plan.
Anyway, looking forward for your updates of the templates pack.

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-06 17:32, Sunday

Bill9801 wrote:
2019-10-06 16:36, Sunday
is that possible to have a independent icon of "radio" from the back of the HQ infantry
it's easy to create:

1. deselect all layers but the hq layer:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iQHlM ... s2ESk7kIJv

2. duplicate the hq layer, and deselect it (only the new radio layer is selected):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XQCmM ... qtq_Blu_yY

3. remove the parts of the soldiers on the right and in the center:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1idEMn ... 0T3pdoS1j5

4. select other layers what you want, e.g.:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v0hmp ... wz2IBEyeQ-

i definitely won't create radio layers for each templates, if you need 2-3 of them, that's possible. however, imo anybody can do this for himself/herself
efiles:

campaigns:

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-10-06 17:55, Sunday

lvjtn wrote:
2019-10-06 17:32, Sunday
Bill9801 wrote:
2019-10-06 16:36, Sunday
is that possible to have a independent icon of "radio" from the back of the HQ infantry
it's easy to create:

1. deselect all layers but the hq layer:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iQHlM ... s2ESk7kIJv

2. duplicate the hq layer, and deselect it (only the new radio layer is selected):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XQCmM ... qtq_Blu_yY

3. remove the parts of the soldiers on the right and in the center:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1idEMn ... 0T3pdoS1j5

4. select other layers what you want, e.g.:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v0hmp ... wz2IBEyeQ-

i definitely won't create radio layers for each templates, if you need 2-3 of them, that's possible. however, imo anybody can do this for himself/herself
Thanks so much!!!

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-10-06 17:57, Sunday

By the way, how soon shall the template pack updateing?

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-10-06 18:26, Sunday

Bill9801 wrote:
2019-10-06 17:57, Sunday
hopefully on monday (tomorrow) at 04:00h gmt summer time (utc +2h), so within 8 hours ;) ww1 romania, usa, portugal and ww2 romania and hungary will be added, the rest is undecided (there 49 pending inf, and 110 others like motorcycle, bicycle, cavalry, cw vehicles and planes)

sorry, opening this forum slowed me down, i just hope it's worth to wait for the teemplates a little bit more. i guess all templates will be added in october, and then i can focus on replacing those inf icons which are marked as “obsolete” and we actually have templates for them, or i can create the new templates based on Juankar's materials. of course, anybody is welcome to join this job
efiles:

campaigns:

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-11-06 12:49, Wednesday

lvjtn wrote:
2019-10-06 18:26, Sunday
Bill9801 wrote:
2019-10-06 17:57, Sunday
hopefully on monday (tomorrow) at 04:00h gmt summer time (utc +2h), so within 8 hours ;) ww1 romania, usa, portugal and ww2 romania and hungary will be added, the rest is undecided (there 49 pending inf, and 110 others like motorcycle, bicycle, cavalry, cw vehicles and planes)

sorry, opening this forum slowed me down, i just hope it's worth to wait for the teemplates a little bit more. i guess all templates will be added in october, and then i can focus on replacing those inf icons which are marked as “obsolete” and we actually have templates for them, or i can create the new templates based on Juankar's materials. of course, anybody is welcome to join this job
Hello, just a quick question, it's already the beginning of November, so how soon would be the completely update of the Template pack?

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-11-19 11:25, Tuesday

Bill9801 wrote:
2019-11-06 12:49, Wednesday
Hello, just a quick question, it's already the beginning of November, so how soon would be the completely update of the Template pack?
sorry, i missed this post :doh :-o

i checked Juankar's cold war templates, and the inf are merged into one big file, imo it's not too useful. otoh his plane and vehicles templates are easy to add, so you can expect them soon

for ww1, only russian inf left + cavalry and horse arty + a few other generic files

what's the most difficult is the three missing ww2 nations (uk, ussr, germany), as i have different versions with minor differencies, and i have to compare them thoroughly

there are some generic files (e.g. motorcycles/bicycles) what i don't completely understand, i should ask Juankar first

so the short answer: a few files (cw planes and vehicles) will be added to the next update in november, but i have no idea when the rest will be added. believe me, if i have problems to understand them, everybody else would have problems. otoh, if you catch the styles of the already added templates, it's easy to add new uniforms, hats, helmets, etc. what you need :2cents
efiles:

campaigns:

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-11-21 09:28, Thursday

Thanks so much for answering.
Well, I do believe the templates of cold War infantry Icons are useful, because I checked with some icons in details, still a little bit not so accurate based on the historical facts.
But if I have the templates and I could fix it.
This will be helpful for open general to be more famous in ASIA, actually we also had a Forum about Panzer General and Open General in China, some players there is working on the translation of the game, from English to Chinese.
lvjtn wrote:
2019-11-19 11:25, Tuesday
Bill9801 wrote:
2019-11-06 12:49, Wednesday
sorry, i missed this post :doh :-o

i checked Juankar's cold war templates, and the inf are merged into one big file, imo it's not too useful. otoh his plane and vehicles templates are easy to add, so you can expect them soon

for ww1, only russian inf left + cavalry and horse arty + a few other generic files

what's the most difficult is the three missing ww2 nations (uk, ussr, germany), as i have different versions with minor differencies, and i have to compare them thoroughly

there are some generic files (e.g. motorcycles/bicycles) what i don't completely understand, i should ask Juankar first

so the short answer: a few files (cw planes and vehicles) will be added to the next update in november, but i have no idea when the rest will be added. believe me, if i have problems to understand them, everybody else would have problems. otoh, if you catch the styles of the already added templates, it's easy to add new uniforms, hats, helmets, etc. what you need :2cents

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Post by randowe » 2019-12-01 10:45, Sunday

Hello :howdy

I finished the second batch of icons i need for my efile. Theser are probably the last icons i will edit (all are edited versions of existing icons) ever ;)
I will send the email in the next minutes.

As for the cossacks, there was only a icons for a cavalry scout and cavalry x2, but not cavalry x3.
The HQ command infantry flags are sub-sub nations like the already existing ones, which are named more generally. In fact the existing flags show not THE cossacks flag, but the Don Cossacks flag, and not THE Freikorps flag, because every Freikorps had its own flag. Anway, we can leave it like this. Everybody who will use any of the icons will know what to do :cool

Please take your time adding the icons to the database/opendat. It is not urgend and i can add them this month or next to my efile. I have time :lol

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image

Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Re: ICONS: How to make them - Reserve your icon ID letters - Report new icons - Read first post!

Post by Cat Leon » 2019-12-17 10:40, Tuesday

To lvjtn. Hi! Did you receive my letter about new icons of December 9th? I have not received anything from you so far... :huh
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

lvjtn

Post by lvjtn » 2019-12-18 07:28, Wednesday

Cat Leon wrote:
2019-12-17 10:40, Tuesday
To lvjtn. Hi! Did you receive my letter about new icons of December 9th? I have not received anything from you so far... :huh
hi Leon! :welcome

i got too much mails recently, maybe i skipped it, i'm checking :-o

edit: Clemens' new icons will be released only this weekend, sorry again :-o , pre-xmas weeks aren't the easiest for me
efiles:

campaigns:

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2019-12-18 10:01, Wednesday

:howdy
lvjtn wrote:
2019-12-18 07:28, Wednesday
i got too much mails recently, maybe i skipped it, i'm checking :-o
I just wanted to let you know that when cleaning my computer I have found the folder with batch of OG icons (more 100 icons of infantry, cavalry and some other icons). I don’t remember if I was sending you these icons or not but I see that icons are absent in the latest version of OpenIcons.dat. I'm not sure if the icons meet your strict criteria but the icons look accurate and quite good to me and can be useful in my opinion. Some icons are new, the others were designed to replace the respective obsolete icons. As for icons names. If the new icons were made to replace my old icons (LE...), I used the names of respective old icons. I can send to you the icons, descriptions etc by the end of the week!
Leon, the friendly cat who walks by himself, plays PGF, PG2 & OG and bores busy people!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2019-12-26 09:19, Thursday

Hi! What is the dead line to sending new icons for next OpenIcons.dat? I will be able to add all Bulgarian icons and some missing Belgian icons (MG, Inf, Cav, HQ, cycl, motorcycl) this weekend. Is it in time? :/

As for Belgian "Chasseurs Ardennais".
There is JKL12 new-style icon for "Chasseurs Ardennais" but with dark blue berets that is wrong because berets were of green color in the reality. I have replaced the berets with green ones. I think this new icon should be copy in place of former JKL12 and should also replace obsolete TD32. The point is that original name of TD32 icon was Belgian "Chasseurs Ardennais" but now the name is "Chasseurs a Pied" in the description that is in fact an error!

As for obsolete JKQ40 (Cavalerie a Pied 1944). This is quite strange name for 1944 as Belgians wore British uniform at that time while icon depicts men in Belgian prewar uniform. I also doubt that the name "Cavalerie a Pied" existed in 1944. I'm sure the correct name should be "Cavalerie Motorisee" or "Infanterie Motorisee" as you more like. So I have made suitable new-style icon to replace JKQ40 (two men with rifles, one man with 0.30 inch -7.62 mm BAR). I have also added some more prewar Belgians to replace other obsolete Belgian icons. New "Cyclistes-Frontiere" icon looks really nice to me! I have also added the icon of dismounted "Cyclistes-Frontiere".

All icons including WW2 Bulgarian and Belgian icons sent to Csaba! :imwaiting

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2019-12-29 13:53, Sunday

:howdy Sorry, but i don't think new-style icons should be replaced. New icons should be added, but not for replacement of existing icons.
For example, in my efile i have more than 10600 units of more than 100 nations and half of them don't have an own icon set. So i have to use a lot of icons from other nations or whatever fits the best. If people now, after years, start to replace existing icons, well... should efile makers check everything again and again? Most of them are MIA and can't check anymore.
It also doesn't matter if - for example - there was a certain cavalry in 1944 available or not, the icons still can and will be used for other nations or other time frames or fictive units and so on...
The more icons the better! No new style icon should get dismissed or get replaced in my opinion :2cents
Image Slava Ukraini!

Bill9801
Private
Private

Post by Bill9801 » 2019-12-29 18:13, Sunday

Hi there, still the same question, how soon would the Templates Pac update? Because I do belive I need them to finfish those new icons.
By the way, I'm almost finished some new icons for the early 20th centry Asia battlefield, inculding Chinese Nationlist Army and Red Army, and some Chinese Warlord icons, and Restored version of Japanese Navy and Army, I will send to the person who take charge of the icons upload soon.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2019-12-29 18:26, Sunday

randowe wrote:
2019-12-29 13:53, Sunday
No new style icon should get dismissed or get replaced in my opinion
Randowe, I don't suggest replacing new-style icons! It would be very strange suggestion. :shock On the contrary, it is necessary to gradually replace all obsolete icons. JKL12 is an exception. The point is that icon should match to the description! What can I do if "Chasseurs Ardennais" didn't wear blue berets? This is small inaccuracy of Juankar. That's why I propose replacing berets in the existing icon instead of adding another icon with same description...
As for JKQ40, it is obsolete icon.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2019-12-30 10:17, Monday

Two remarks about Russian names in the icons description. :nyet
1. "Kazaki Kavaleriya" is wrong combination in Russian! The correct name for "Cossack Cavalry" is "Kazach'ya Kavaleriya" or just "Kazaki" (i.e. Cossacks).
2. "Udarnaya Armiya" or shock army also is wrong name for JCP57, JCQ04, JCQ13 icons (3 men with SMGs ). "Udarnaya Armiya" as well as ordinary army was just a formation that could comprise rifle divisions, guards rifle divisions and also several artillery and tank units. There was no special infantry for shock armies! "Sturmovaya gruppa" (assault group) is more correct name but the best variant is SMG infantry or "Avtomatchiki" (i.e. men armed with SMGs) as there were SMG companies (100 men) in rifle regiments since summer 1942. There were also SMG formations in tank and mechanized units.

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-07 10:09, Tuesday

:howdy I need some advice.
I'd like to make the new-style icons of Dutch infantry but i have to choose an existing base icons for that. There are many sources with some description and color pictures of Dutch uniform, for example
Blandford Mollo - Army Uniforms of World War 2,
Andrew Mollo, Malcolm McGregor, Pierre Turner - Armed Forces of World War II,
Fred & Liliane Funcken's books, еtс.

However, the problem is the pictures in these books (or in their electronic versions) distort a colors. Some time ago I found the site with high-quality color reconstructions of Dutch prewar uniform (HET NEDERLANDSCHE LEGER 1939 - 1940). Unfortunately the site doesn't exist now but i saved several pictures. Some of them are below. Some sources (see above) say of grey-greenish uniform but if to trust these images the uniform was closer to bluish color. Then colors of WW1 Austrian infantry look suitable and Austrian icons can be used for making Dutch icons (Europe 1940)! The helmets can be taken from romanian icons. As for WW1 German icons, their grey-green color matches that of German WW2 icons and this is not good.
As for KNIL icons, the color was closer to khaki-green (see Royal Netherlands East Indies Army 1936-1942, Osprey Men-at-Arms 521). I'll find something suitable for that. What do you tnink?

This is the link to the folder with piсtures: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/G7aM/3b8P9KvYh
Last edited by Cat Leon on 2020-01-07 18:50, Tuesday, edited 1 time in total.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-01-07 17:52, Tuesday

Cat Leon wrote: Image Image Image Image
Your pictures are not shown and when i use the picture-link the files are missing :dunno

As an efile maker i welcome every attempt to create new icons. And in my personal opinion i'd say: The more icons, the better.
But the people who really can say something on icons are Csaba and Juankar only i guess.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-07 18:53, Tuesday

randowe wrote:
2020-01-07 17:52, Tuesday
Your pictures are not shown and when i use the picture-link the files are missing :dunno
I suspected something like that! I can’t understand how to get the link not to the page with a picture but to a picture itself! :huh My improvisation was unsuccessful but I see them... I gave the link to the folder with piсtures, hope it will work!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-01-07 20:12, Tuesday

Yes, after i saw the pictures and did search for some more, i think the Austrian WW1 infantry colors will fit well with the WW2 Dutch ones. In most pictures the uniforms look indeed like a light blueish grey or light greyish blue.

KNIL uniforms look light green without Khaki on some pictures. On drawings it looks sometimes khaki/green.
I think the reinactment guys did a good research before they tailored their uniforms:

Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-10 05:47, Friday

Last edited by Cat Leon on 2020-01-15 13:45, Wednesday, edited 1 time in total.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-01-15 10:18, Wednesday

lvjtn wrote:
2019-12-18 07:28, Wednesday
edit: Clemens' new icons will be released only this weekend, sorry again :-o , pre-xmas weeks aren't the easiest for me
:howdy
May i ask when the Icon Pack will be updated? It's been a month since and the Icon Pack has not been updated yet and i check it every day :bonk :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-15 11:53, Wednesday

It's all because of me. :doh I sent more than 200 icons (47 Dutch icons, BTW) in a short time... Csaba is overflowed! ;)

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-27 10:37, Monday

What is the best way to depict Manchukuo and Kuomintang badges on cap and helmet?
Image Image

One of the possible variants:
Manchukuo - 4 pixels
RY
BW

Kuomintang - 5 pixels
- B
BWB
- B

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-01-27 20:43, Monday

Hard to tell without a picture. Dunno if it is to large? 3 pixel height? But if you think it looks good, you should go for it :yes
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-28 07:05, Tuesday

The link to the folder with png icons:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/qjyS/4immyQP5r
Do you see the icons?
Last edited by Cat Leon on 2020-01-30 05:29, Thursday, edited 1 time in total.

Wonderdoctor
Generalstabsveterinär
Generalstabsveterinär

Post by Wonderdoctor » 2020-01-28 11:14, Tuesday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-01-28 07:05, Tuesday
Do you see the icons?
Yes :yes

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-01-29 13:42, Wednesday

There is some quality loss within the .jpg files and it is impossible to see the icons like they truely look like as .png.
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-30 05:31, Thursday

See above!

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-01-30 11:19, Thursday

Excellent :cool Cant wait to replace the wild mix of units at my Chinese Republic efile nation :lol
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-01-30 13:33, Thursday

Actually two Chinese icons you see depict not a soldiers of Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalist Army but soldiers of Wang Jingwei's collaborationist Chinese Army (Nanjing)! :wink The point is that before 1940 uniforms of the puppet armies in China were as diverse as the armies themselves, with a motley assortment of dress. Some troops that had come over from the Nationalist side wore their old uniforms with the old insignia removed. Others were issued with simple cotton uniforms and Japanese caps with new insignia added, while many were simply given surplus Japanese uniforms with the Japanese insignia taken off. However in 1940, when the Wang Ching-wei regime took over, uniforms were issued that were identical to Nationalist ones in details because the Wang regime claimed to be the true Nationalist government of China.
I used base Japanese icons so uniform's color is the same as that of the Japs but a badges, caps, helmets are the same as for KMT China. Chinese caps are based on post-war North Korean icons but those look too high for me and I reduced the height by one pixel. I will also use post-war North Korean icons if I make KMT Chinese icons. So the color of KMT uniform will be lighter! Now I have made quite enough icons for Manchukuo and Wang Jingwei's army to replace all respective obsolete icons but I have not sent them to Csaba yet. IMHO: At the moment all old-style Chinese icons (KMT, Warlords, Nanjing, Manchukuo) are still in OpenIcons so I don't see the big problem even without new icons...

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-02-06 12:28, Thursday

:howdy Here is the link to the folder with China (KMT) icons for acquaintance (from about 1930 till the end of war including civil war)
I'll probably add some more icons to replace the obsolete icons...
Last edited by Cat Leon on 2020-03-02 13:08, Monday, edited 1 time in total.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-02-06 14:22, Thursday

Great :bow :bow

Maybe you can add the following to the KMT set?

Infantry x2, Light Infantry (2 Soldiers with blue helmets, taken from infantry x3, no binoculars)
Infantry x2, AT Infantry (with AT Rifle)
(maybe even a later years AT infantry too, with Bazooka or something lika that?)
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-02-07 05:26, Friday

Ok!
with blue helmets
:notsure Why blue?

As for AT rifles. Only Chinese troops in Burma re-equipped by British (Y Force) could have Boys anti-tank rifles. IMHO: the icons depicting these Chinese troops should be based on UK icons (sand uniform). Another Chinese AT infantry should be armed with bazookas.

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-02-07 10:01, Friday

Sorry, i mean the blue-ish looking helmets from LEF39 and others. Because of the KMT badge, the helmets appear to be blue when you look at them from a normal distance. At least to me. What i wanted to say in my previous post :bonk , was, that the light infantry x2 may make use of 2 of the 3 soldiers from the aforementioned regular infantry with helmets icon. Of course, it is your descision if and how this would be implemented :cool

(it is just because in my efile most nations have a light infantry that is able to move one hex more than regular infantry. I use the infantry x2 icons if possible, but not all nations feature them, so sometimes i have to use infantry x3, which is maybe a little bit misleading.
Now that we get new KMT icons, i thought it is my chance to ask for an light infantry x2 icon :nods )
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-02-07 13:52, Friday

Some Chinese (KMT) icons added (see the link above):
Motorcyclists (x1)
Motorcyclists (x3)
AT Infantry + bazooka (x3)
AT Infantry + bazooka +BAR (x3)
AT Infantry + bazooka (x2)
Light Infantry + field kepi (x2)
Light Infantry + german helmet (x2)

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-02-07 14:22, Friday

Wonderful :clap
Image Slava Ukraini!

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-02-09 08:33, Sunday

I have uploaded more LE icons for acquaintance ("add" means addition). Most of them but not all were sent to Csaba.
:phew

Cat Leon
Major
Major

Post by Cat Leon » 2020-02-21 11:06, Friday

Chinese (KMT) icons in "winter"uniform of blue color are added! See the link above (China KMT - winter, China KMT in the twenties - winter folders).

randowe
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by randowe » 2020-02-21 13:18, Friday

Cat Leon wrote:
2020-02-21 11:06, Friday
Chinese (KMT) icons in "winter"uniform of blue color are added! See the link above (China KMT - winter, China KMT in the twenties - winter folders).

Has anyone an idea when the icons files will be updated?
Image Slava Ukraini!